Ritualist as a Class? Or Elite Spec?

Lily.1935

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Exalted Quality.8534 said:If they do add ritualist (they won’t) it would have to be a rev because the PvP title for revs is Champion Ritualist. In my opinion, revs match up with rits better than any other class thematically.

No it doesn't. Ritualist is a light armored class that uses death magic. They wear bones and wield Spell caster weapons. They are spiritual dancers who need the freedom of movement and expression plate can't give. Much of their identity has been absorbed by the necromancer who used to be unable to call beings from the other world, but most certainly can now due to the empowerment of Magic. Honestly, you guys should actually read the themes of the Ritualist and the conflicts it faced within GW1 and the conflicts the Necromancer now faces. Everything the ritualist once did to serve society in GW1, the necromancer currently does.

@Exalted Quality.8534 said:The rev channels legends. Ritualists did the same. Apparently, the devs agree with me, not you.

The Ritualist did not channel legends. The Ritualist summoned the urns of the past of historical figures. They were not legends. And they didn't call them into their body. And the devs don't agree with you, the Devs have very little foresight.

Y’all talk too much. Ritualist needs to come back as a class tbh. No reason to put it into an elite spec and no reason to stop creating new professions for this game. Elite specs are so boring and literally bring nothing new. All they do is recycle a profession and sometimes even in a bad way lulz

@Nash.3974 said:Y’all talk too much. Ritualist needs to come back as a class tbh. No reason to put it into an elite spec and no reason to stop creating new professions for this game. Elite specs are so boring and literally bring nothing new. All they do is recycle a profession and sometimes even in a bad way lulz

I actually really like Elite specs. But I would love to see ritualist as its own Class. Even if it basically mechanically was just a an engineer and a necromancer smashed together.

@Lily.1935 said:

@Exalted Quality.8534 said:If they do add ritualist (they won’t) it would have to be a rev because the PvP title for revs is Champion Ritualist. In my opinion, revs match up with rits better than any other class thematically.

No it doesn't. Ritualist is a light armored class that uses death magic. They wear bones and wield Spell caster weapons. They are spiritual dancers who need the freedom of movement and expression plate can't give. Much of their identity has been absorbed by the necromancer who used to be unable to call beings from the other world, but most certainly can now due to the empowerment of Magic. Honestly, you guys should actually read the themes of the Ritualist and the conflicts it faced within GW1 and the conflicts the Necromancer now faces. Everything the ritualist once did to serve society in GW1, the necromancer currently does.

Just like how monks sorta fused with guardians, and now instead of healer spellcasters they are armored warriors who use monk spells to smite or potect. Ritulists sorta fused with warrior to create revenant. Ritualist communes with the spirit realm to give them power on the battlefield which in gw1 took the form of summoning, enhancning weapons, and using spells to heal or burn spirits. Idk why its so hard to think that ritluaists, instead of using their powers to heal and summon spirits are now instead using the spirits strength to give them extra strength or learn weird fighting techniques from the spirits and use spirit's spells to attack enemies. Basically I think ritualist either branched off into necromancy and fused with that or they decided to armor up and join the fight enhancing themeselves from the spirit realm. Sorta like how the viking bezerkers used to do rituals before they fought and basically believed they got strength from the spirits and went into a full murdurous frenzy. Although the murdurous frenzy and bezerker idea was taken for warrior, the whole belief of channeling the gods and partaking in rituals to strengthen them on the battle is very shamanistic and ritualistic, whether you believe ritualist has to be a caster profession or not.

@ScottBroChill.3254 said:

@"Exalted Quality.8534" said:If they do add ritualist (they won’t) it would have to be a rev because the PvP title for revs is Champion Ritualist. In my opinion, revs match up with rits better than any other class thematically.

Just like how monks sorta fused with guardians, and now instead of healer spellcasters they are armored warriors who use monk spells to smite or potect. Ritulists sorta fused with warrior to create revenant. Ritualist communes with the spirit realm to give them power on the battlefield which in gw1 took the form of summoning, enhancning weapons, and using spells to heal or burn spirits. Idk why its so hard to think that ritluaists, instead of using their powers to heal and summon spirits are now instead using the spirits strength to give them extra strength or learn weird fighting techniques from the spirits and use spirit's spells to attack enemies. Basically I think ritualist either branched off into necromancy and fused with that or they decided to armor up and join the fight enhancing themeselves from the spirit realm. Sorta like how the viking bezerkers used to do rituals before they fought and basically believed they got strength from the spirits and went into a full murdurous frenzy. Although the murdurous frenzy and bezerker idea was taken for warrior, the whole belief of channeling the gods and partaking in rituals to strengthen them on the battle is very shamanistic and ritualistic, whether you believe ritualist has to be a caster profession or not.

The timeline doesn't fit for Ritualist to become Revenants. Revenant magic is a new variation of magic that the first revenant in cannon is Rytlock. So what were the ritualists doing in the past 250 years of down time? Waiting for revenant to come back to practice their magic? Well, the Devs have said that ritualism was practiced in Cantha even to this day although other professions had found more effective means of "Communication". I'm not sure why they used that phrasing specifically, but who knows. I mean, The goal of Necromancy in the real world belief was the commune with spirits, which you can read about it on the wiki. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Necromancy And The ritualist follows this fairly closely. Although there is also Shamanism in real life as well as some different Asian practices.

Necromancy has mostly died out though in our world due to Christianity's attack against Paganism, but that's kinda another topic entirely. Looking at what the necromancer's did though, they would often eat rotting Flesh, Wear jewelry or bones of the deceased to better commune with them. Something that was very much implemented in the RItualist's design in GW1, and was later translated in the necromancer's Design in GW2. You can see this in the https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dry_Bones_armor set. And the Charr T3 light armor has some clear Ritualist influences as well. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Magus_armor The norn who are also known to be quite Shamanistic take on these similar themes as well. Are they the only ones to use bones? Well, no, Rangers are known to use it as well. But Heavy armor using bones isn't something we see. There are universal armor pieces that use them, but it seems more as a triumph of hunting as opposed to adorning oneself in bones, teeth and such to better connect with the dead.

There was a pretty big stink back in GW1 too about ritualist stepping on the Necromancer's toes in its theme, and Arena net did what they could to distance themselves from that notion that the Ritualist was somehow different thematically, by pushing the necromancer as a plague mage as opposed to death, but ultimately this didn't work all too well. And with GW2, the lines that once supposedly separated them thematically blurred further. The mechanics and lore of many of the necromancer's skills are tied to the underworld and the realm of Torment, which the ritualist was known for communing with in GW1. So it was only a natural fit that the Ritualist would become a part of what the necromancer is currently, since that cultural gap was left for them in the 250 years prior to GW2.

The monk was absorbed into the Guardian for sure. But the guardian isn't capable of becoming a Monk. The culture that the Monk once had warped and evolved so radically in the past 250 years that it isn't recognizable as itself. Where as the Ritualist still holds some traditionalism of the Canthan culture. But the necromancer and the Ritualist had a clear rivalry going on in GW1, and this was shown in the game since they were so similar in their philosophies and their magic came from the same place only executed differently.

@Lily.1935 said:

@"Exalted Quality.8534" said:If they do add ritualist (they won’t) it would have to be a rev because the PvP title for revs is Champion Ritualist. In my opinion, revs match up with rits better than any other class thematically.

The timeline doesn't fit for Ritualist to become Revenants. Revenant magic is a new variation of magic that the first revenant in cannon is Rytlock. So what were the ritualists doing in the past 250 years of down time? Waiting for revenant to come back to practice their magic? Well, the Devs have said that ritualism was practiced in Cantha even to this day although other professions had found more effective means of "Communication". I'm not sure why they used that phrasing specifically, but who knows. I mean, The goal of Necromancy in the real world belief was the commune with spirits, which you can read about it on the wiki.
And The ritualist follows this fairly closely. Although there is also Shamanism in real life as well as some different Asian practices.

Necromancy has mostly died out though in our world due to Christianity's attack against Paganism, but that's kinda another topic entirely. Looking at what the necromancer's did though, they would often eat rotting Flesh, Wear jewelry or bones of the deceased to better commune with them. Something that was very much implemented in the RItualist's design in GW1, and was later translated in the necromancer's Design in GW2. You can see this in the
set. And the Charr T3 light armor has some clear Ritualist influences as well.
The norn who are also known to be quite Shamanistic take on these similar themes as well. Are they the only ones to use bones? Well, no, Rangers are known to use it as well. But Heavy armor using bones isn't something we see. There are universal armor pieces that use them, but it seems more as a triumph of hunting as opposed to adorning oneself in bones, teeth and such to better connect with the dead.

There was a pretty big stink back in GW1 too about ritualist stepping on the Necromancer's toes in its theme, and Arena net did what they could to distance themselves from that notion that the Ritualist was somehow different thematically, by pushing the necromancer as a plague mage as opposed to death, but ultimately this didn't
. And with GW2, the lines that once supposedly separated them thematically blurred further. The mechanics and lore of many of the necromancer's skills are tied to the underworld and the realm of Torment, which the ritualist was known for communing with in GW1. So it was only a natural fit that the Ritualist would become a part of what the necromancer is currently, since that cultural gap was left for them in the 250 years prior to GW2.

The monk was absorbed into the Guardian for sure. But the guardian isn't capable of becoming a Monk. The culture that the Monk once had warped and evolved so radically in the past 250 years that it isn't recognizable as itself. Where as the Ritualist still holds some traditionalism of the Canthan culture. But the necromancer and the Ritualist had a clear rivalry going on in GW1, and this was shown in the game since they were so similar in their philosophies and their magic came from the same place only executed differently.

I get where your coming from, but I suppose my own personally vision of the class possesses a lot of differences that may not be in the game or arent canon. In which case, I guess I'm wrong on the matter. But if you want some idea of my vision for what I picture it being on the rev, I posted a class mechanic, weapon skill and utility concept for a razah legend. I'm not asking for you to post on the thread why things would work on necro better, im not asking for any input on that thread from you because I know you don't support it. I would just like you to see a fleshed out version of it. Razah's the legend and I'm theory crafting if he should have gone crazed in the realm of torment and now he's an "abomination". In this iteration, the revenant espec is not techniquely a ritualist but razah's utility and the new class mechanic uses ritualist magic. But it leaves all your urns and spirit minions summoning and stuff for necromances. But I'd find it weird if necros got a rit espec and it was called ritualist because of the pvp title already given to revenants.

@ScottBroChill.3254 said:

The timeline doesn't fit for Ritualist to become Revenants. Revenant magic is a new variation of magic that the first revenant in cannon is Rytlock. So what were the ritualists doing in the past 250 years of down time? Waiting for revenant to come back to practice their magic? Well, the Devs have said that ritualism was practiced in Cantha even to this day although other professions had found more effective means of "Communication". I'm not sure why they used that phrasing specifically, but who knows. I mean, The goal of Necromancy in the real world belief was the commune with spirits, which you can read about it on the wiki.
And The ritualist follows this fairly closely. Although there is also Shamanism in real life as well as some different Asian practices.

Necromancy has mostly died out though in our world due to Christianity's attack against Paganism, but that's kinda another topic entirely. Looking at what the necromancer's did though, they would often eat rotting Flesh, Wear jewelry or bones of the deceased to better commune with them. Something that was very much implemented in the RItualist's design in GW1, and was later translated in the necromancer's Design in GW2. You can see this in the
set. And the Charr T3 light armor has some clear Ritualist influences as well.
The norn who are also known to be quite Shamanistic take on these similar themes as well. Are they the only ones to use bones? Well, no, Rangers are known to use it as well. But Heavy armor using bones isn't something we see. There are universal armor pieces that use them, but it seems more as a triumph of hunting as opposed to adorning oneself in bones, teeth and such to better connect with the dead.

There was a pretty big stink back in GW1 too about ritualist stepping on the Necromancer's toes in its theme, and Arena net did what they could to distance themselves from that notion that the Ritualist was somehow different thematically, by pushing the necromancer as a plague mage as opposed to death, but ultimately this didn't
. And with GW2, the lines that once supposedly separated them thematically blurred further. The mechanics and lore of many of the necromancer's skills are tied to the underworld and the realm of Torment, which the ritualist was known for communing with in GW1. So it was only a natural fit that the Ritualist would become a part of what the necromancer is currently, since that cultural gap was left for them in the 250 years prior to GW2.

I get where your coming from, but I suppose my own personally vision of the class possesses a lot of differences that may not be in the game or arent canon. In which case, I guess I'm wrong on the matter. But if you want some idea of my vision for what I picture it being on the rev, I posted a class mechanic, weapon skill and utility concept for a razah legend. I'm not asking for you to post on the thread why things would work on necro better, im not asking for any input on that thread from you because I know you don't support it. I would just like you to see a fleshed out version of it. Razah's the legend and I'm theory crafting if he should have gone crazed in the realm of torment and now he's an "abomination". In this iteration, the revenant espec is not techniquely a ritualist but razah's utility and the new class mechanic uses ritualist magic. But it leaves all your urns and spirit minions summoning and stuff for necromances. But I'd find it weird if necros got a rit espec and it was called ritualist because of the pvp title already given to revenants.

You're welcome to link it. I'd be happy to read it out. I personally am very nostalgic for gw1 and I knew far more about that game than I do gw2. So the idea of revenant being ritualist doesn't quite work for me. That doesn't mean I don't think a ritualist inspired elite spec shouldn't ever be on the revenant. On the contrary, the revenant is a bit of an open door when it comes to its design. I wouldn't mind them channeling a necromancer like Verata, or Vizier Khilbron. I think Revenant works best as a celebration of the game's interesting characters as opposed to trying to shoehorn one theme into them. Having them act as sort of a blue mage of gw2 is something I'd get behind.

But yeah. Show me I don't mind seeing it.

@"Lily.1935" said:

You're welcome to link it. I'd be happy to read it out. I personally am very nostalgic for gw1 and I knew far more about that game than I do gw2. So the idea of revenant being ritualist doesn't quite work for me. That doesn't mean I don't think a ritualist inspired elite spec shouldn't ever be on the revenant. On the contrary, the revenant is a bit of an open door when it comes to its design. I wouldn't mind them channeling a necromancer like Verata, or Vizier Khilbron. I think Revenant works best as a celebration of the game's interesting characters as opposed to trying to shoehorn one theme into them. Having them act as sort of a blue mage of gw2 is something I'd get behind.

But yeah. Show me I don't mind seeing it.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/51518/we-back-at-it-with-another-ritualist-concept-unnamed-critique-and-dissaprove-here#latest

Here ya go. Yeah, i mean I don't think summoning and urns are going to work with rev so I decided to take it in a different direction. I havent worked out traits yet as I wanted some feedback on the skills. And in terms of interesting characters I think a lot of ritualist players thought razah was cool and he had a lot of mystery surrounding him so it would be interesting to see him again. And Razah was able to change profession, which idk I guess is sorta like revenant.

First, spirit summoning with passive effect was cannibalized by the Ranger already.Second, turrets are cannibalized by the Engineer.Third, spirit summoning with aggressive effect was cannibalized by the Guardian.Next, ashes which are very similar to sand, thus ash summoning is already been cannibalized by the Scourge. Sand Cascade barriers are simply "Generous Was Tsungrai".

Weapon spells are hardly enough to define a whole profession or Elite Spec.

They can instead combine Weapon Spells, Lamenting Chants, and Mourning Arias and create a spirit-channeling-Paragon/Ritualist-like profession using Lightning Spirit Javeline as the main weapon.

• 8 months later...

I highly doubt Anet will add any new professions again, it would unbalance everything until they added 3 new classes total which would also need to have 2 elite specs each and add another 3 classes to make elite specs for in future.. it's just not worth the hastle tbh.

Ritualist would be better off being reworked into an elite spec for the Revenant imo.. perhaps a condi spec based around minions.Stationary minions based on the old Ritualist Spirits.New weapon Sceptor and new legend could be Legendary Enigma (Razah unless it's still alive) or Legendary Master (Togo).Would work very well in combination with Legendary Demon Stance, specially if spirits lingured for a short time after legends were swapped.

Healing skill: Rejuvenation, Summon a passive spirit that heals upto 10 allies within earshot by a small amount every second, Sacrifice to heal the Revenant and purge conditions around the spirit.

Utility:Agony, Summon aggressive spirit that attacks enemies in range around it and inflicts bleed and slow, sacrifice to inflict fear and torment.Pain, Summon aggressive spirit that attacks enemies from afar, sacrifice to inflict damage and burn.Summon Spirits, Pull all spirits to your location inflicting 2 stacks of bleed and torment around you for each spirit pulled and dazing enemies within range.

Elite: Union, Summon aggressive spirit that attacks foes and steals life from them, This spirit also bonds with the Revenant and takes 20% of the revenants incoming damage away and that damage is applied to the spirit instead, Sacrifice to pull downed allies to the spirits location and heal them by a small amount.

I think something like this could work really well for the Revenant

I still think as an e-spec it fits necro better.Not because if mist magic but because it fits the theme of a supportive spirit invoke.A role necro could use the extend its roster.Revenant has already something similar with renegade (although I am not a fan if it).Rev maybe gets something dervish like to overload its legends so to speak and transform into said legends avatar.

@Teratus.2859 said:I highly doubt Anet will add any new professions again, it would unbalance everything until they added 3 new classes total which would also need to have 2 elite specs each and add another 3 classes to make elite specs for in future.. it's just not worth the hastle tbh.

Ritualist would be better off being reworked into an elite spec for the Revenant imo.. perhaps a condi spec based around minions.Stationary minions based on the old Ritualist Spirits.New weapon Sceptor and new legend could be Legendary Enigma (Razah unless it's still alive) or Legendary Master (Togo).Would work very well in combination with Legendary Demon Stance, specially if spirits lingured for a short time after legends were swapped.

Healing skill: Rejuvenation, Summon a passive spirit that heals upto 10 allies within earshot by a small amount every second, Sacrifice to heal the Revenant and purge conditions around the spirit.

Utility:Agony, Summon aggressive spirit that attacks enemies in range around it and inflicts bleed and slow, sacrifice to inflict fear and torment.Pain, Summon aggressive spirit that attacks enemies from afar, sacrifice to inflict damage and burn.Summon Spirits, Pull all spirits to your location inflicting 2 stacks of bleed and torment around you for each spirit pulled and dazing enemies within range.

Elite: Union, Summon aggressive spirit that attacks foes and steals life from them, This spirit also bonds with the Revenant and takes 20% of the revenants incoming damage away and that damage is applied to the spirit instead, Sacrifice to pull downed allies to the spirits location and heal them by a small amount.

Adding a new profession wouldn't necessarily unbalance the game. IT can, but not for the reasons you think. Eventually I feel that we'll hit a critical mass of elite specs and adding new professions would be the best way forward. Ritualist is a prime candidate for that.

As for Ritualist being a revenant elite spec... Absolutely not. What you've suggested sounds nothing like a ritualist. Sounds like a necromancer. Ritualist's abilities and themes are quite vast and there is plenty of room for them to make a profession out of it. I'm working on a fan made concept of what a Ritualist profession might look like, although i'm not designing elite specs even though I do have some unique Ideas that could work with its theme and design. It might be worth them looking into making new professions in the future. At the moment, we don't needed. But once we have 3 to 4 elite specs I feel that is the time they should probably consider it.

Ritualists don't apply bleeding. Never did. They strike the soul more frequently than the body. They sort of had a mini theme in GW1 of Mesmer corrupts the mind, Necromancer corrupts the body and Ritualist corrupts the soul. Revenant is way too martial to fit their theme as well. The ritualistic dancers who wear cloth and bones being turned into something that wears plate and wields a giant hammer just doesn't sit well with me. My inner GW1 player would weep.

Back to the Original Question or Comment, I would say that they don't need to add a Ritualist Profession, because they have divided up the skills and playstyle among many other professions. I think anyone who plays Guardian, Revenant, Ranger, or Necromancer could create a Ritualist with today's skills. If they were to create an elite spec for Ritualist, I would favor Revenant or Necro!

@Lily.1935 said:

@Teratus.2859 said:I highly doubt Anet will add any new professions again, it would unbalance everything until they added 3 new classes total which would also need to have 2 elite specs each and add another 3 classes to make elite specs for in future.. it's just not worth the hastle tbh.

Adding a new profession wouldn't necessarily unbalance the game. IT can, but not for the reasons you think. Eventually I feel that we'll hit a critical mass of elite specs and adding new professions would be the best way forward. Ritualist is a prime candidate for that.

Well it would add more balance problems, more classes = more balance issues that's just a natural side effect of it.But it would significantly increase the development time, Anet already has to make 9 new elite specs per expansion, adding another 3 to that per expansion would add to the development time.Plus each new class they add would need to have 2 elite specs right from the beginning so there's no way they could just add ritualist without adding another 2 classes with it to round it out and give all 3 of them 2-3 elite specs at the same time.It's way too much work for no legititmate payoff, if we didn't have the elite spec system then it wouldn't be as much of a problem to add more classes.Elite Specs are pretty much the substitute for new classes while also being a way to enhance the 9 we already have, it's better this way if you ask me.And the only reason we got Revenant in the end was to balance out the classes, 3 light, 3 medium and 3 heavy.

As for Ritualist being a revenant elite spec... Absolutely not. What you've suggested sounds nothing like a ritualist. Sounds like a necromancer. Ritualist's abilities and themes are quite vast and there is plenty of room for them to make a profession out of it. I'm working on a fan made concept of what a Ritualist profession might look like, although i'm not designing elite specs even though I do have some unique Ideas that could work with its theme and design. It might be worth them looking into making new professions in the future. At the moment, we don't needed. But once we have 3 to 4 elite specs I feel that is the time they should probably consider it.

Actually it's more like an offensive variant of Spirit Ranger rather than a Necromancer.I can see why you'd relate it to Necro though, I did say Minions and some of the skill examples do sound similar to what a Necro can do, Ranger can do some of those things too though like pull the downed.Sure there's more than enough elements of the Ritualist to say it could be made into it's own class but I am more than convinced that Gw2 will never see another new class added again for the reasons I mentioned above.Elite Specs are the only way forward imo and Revenants and Ritualists have a significant amount in common as well, so if any class will gain Ritualist profession traits it should be the Revenant.

Ritualists don't apply bleeding. Never did. They strike the soul more frequently than the body. They sort of had a mini theme in GW1 of Mesmer corrupts the mind, Necromancer corrupts the body and Ritualist corrupts the soul.

The skills were just examples of how the spec could play in Gw2, conditions are easily changed around to fit a better theme although lets face it, conditions in Gw2 are a joke compared to the condition system in Gw1.You could only bleed things that had a circulartory system in gw1.. you could only poision organic creatures.. you couldn't burn fire and elements actually had super effective damage against each other.Gw2 did away with most of that to make condition damage a viable playstyle to power damage.. A change that works sure but I vastly prefer the more realistic way Gw1 handled those effects.

Revenant is way too martial to fit their theme as well. The ritualistic dancers who wear cloth and bones being turned into something that wears plate and wields a giant hammer just doesn't sit well with me. My inner GW1 player would weep.

Anet already did that when they merged the Monk and Paragon together to make the Guardian class.Likewise Necromancers in Gw1 wore a lot of spiked metal armor as well and there are very few metal armors in gw2 for light wearers, for the most part Necros in Gw2 just wear cloth or robes like an Elementalist would, which also completely kills their Gw1 gothic style.Their Reaper shroud is also the closest thing we have to Dervish scythe play.. so it's not like Gw2 hasn't already taken a lot of Gw1 concepts and changed them significantly to fit them into Gw2.A Ritualist themed spec for Revenant is not that unlikely if you ask me.. specially when you take into account that Revenant in many ways is a successor or evolution of the Ritualist much like the Guardian is for the Monk and Paragon.

Plus with the Ritualist constume recently added you could easily get your Revenant Ritualist elite spec and wear the outfit if you really wanted to look like an old school ritualist.Gw1 and Gw2 are very different games and no class in Gw2 can honestly say it sticks extremely close to it's kin in Gw1.In Gw1 Necros didn't run around with daggers and greatswords.. Warriors didn't run around with rifles.. Mesmers didn't run around with pistols or swords.Each class got changed, updated and evolved to fit into Gw2 and in many ways became it's own new thing.

In GW factions , Ritualists used channeling magic that dealt lightninh damage. So basically lightning attunement.

Restoration magic was a thing to heal and rege, for allies. You can compare that to water attunement.Communing was to prevent dmg and protection. again more a earth attunement.

Spawning power is basically the new trait line comming with the elite spec. so yeah you understand that ritualist fits the best as a elite spec of the elementalist Kappa

(notice the Kappa there )

@Teratus.2859 said:

Well it would add more balance problems, more classes = more balance issues that's just a natural side effect of it.But it would significantly increase the development time, Anet already has to make 9 new elite specs per expansion, adding another 3 to that per expansion would add to the development time.Plus each new class they add would need to have 2 elite specs right from the beginning so there's no way they could just add ritualist without adding another 2 classes with it to round it out and give all 3 of them 2-3 elite specs at the same time.It's way too much work for no legititmate payoff, if we didn't have the elite spec system then it wouldn't be as much of a problem to add more classes.Elite Specs are pretty much the substitute for new classes while also being a way to enhance the 9 we already have, it's better this way if you ask me.And the only reason we got Revenant in the end was to balance out the classes, 3 light, 3 medium and 3 heavy.

Actually it's more like an offensive variant of Spirit Ranger rather than a Necromancer.I can see why you'd relate it to Necro though, I did say Minions and some of the skill examples do sound similar to what a Necro can do, Ranger can do some of those things too though like pull the downed.Sure there's more than enough elements of the Ritualist to say it could be made into it's own class but I am more than convinced that Gw2 will never see another new class added again for the reasons I mentioned above.Elite Specs are the only way forward imo and Revenants and Ritualists have a significant amount in common as well, so if any class will gain Ritualist profession traits it should be the Revenant.

Ritualists don't apply bleeding. Never did. They strike the soul more frequently than the body. They sort of had a mini theme in GW1 of Mesmer corrupts the mind, Necromancer corrupts the body and Ritualist corrupts the soul.

The skills were just examples of how the spec could play in Gw2, conditions are easily changed around to fit a better theme although lets face it, conditions in Gw2 are a joke compared to the condition system in Gw1.You could only bleed things that had a circulartory system in gw1.. you could only poision organic creatures.. you couldn't burn fire and elements actually had super effective damage against each other.Gw2 did away with most of that to make condition damage a viable playstyle to power damage.. A change that works sure but I vastly prefer the more realistic way Gw1 handled those effects.

Revenant is way too martial to fit their theme as well. The ritualistic dancers who wear cloth and bones being turned into something that wears plate and wields a giant hammer just doesn't sit well with me. My inner GW1 player would weep.

Anet already did that when they merged the Monk and Paragon together to make the Guardian class.Likewise Necromancers in Gw1 wore a lot of spiked metal armor as well and there are very few metal armors in gw2 for light wearers, for the most part Necros in Gw2 just wear cloth or robes like an Elementalist would, which also completely kills their Gw1 gothic style.Their Reaper shroud is also the closest thing we have to Dervish scythe play.. so it's not like Gw2 hasn't already taken a lot of Gw1 concepts and changed them significantly to fit them into Gw2.A Ritualist themed spec for Revenant is not that unlikely if you ask me.. specially when you take into account that Revenant in many ways is a successor or evolution of the Ritualist much like the Guardian is for the Monk and Paragon.

Plus with the Ritualist constume recently added you could easily get your Revenant Ritualist elite spec and wear the outfit if you really wanted to look like an old school ritualist.Gw1 and Gw2 are very different games and no class in Gw2 can honestly say it sticks extremely close to it's kin in Gw1.In Gw1 Necros didn't run around with daggers and greatswords.. Warriors didn't run around with rifles.. Mesmers didn't run around with pistols or swords.Each class got changed, updated and evolved to fit into Gw2 and in many ways became it's own new thing.

Read over your idea again. Its REALLY REALLY necromancer. I mean, a lot of the skills sound like death shroud attached to Minions. Revenant has a specific flow of gameplay. Which is why I say its Martial. Its flow is extremely different from Engineer and necromancer which play the most like how the Ritualist would play. Beyond just that, the argument of the guardian is a poor one. No one thinks of the guardian as the monk. Some think of it as the paragon reborn, but in spite of its magical similarities to the monk, it isn't a monk. It will also never gain a monk elite spec and people really don't want it to. Guardian acts extremely different from Monk and their core philosophies are so different they had to become different professions.

The Core Philosophies of Ritualist and revenant are also extremely different. They don't even have the vaguest sense of a philosophical connection. Their link to each other is extremely thin at best, only that they both use some form of mist magic. Which is thin because necromancer, thief, assassin and you could argue that dervish also uses mist magic if we're to assume the gods are mist beings. And the way the mist magic functions in game works more like the GW1 assassin than it does the ritualist. The Assassin's shadow magic with their teleports was described as them phasing out of the normal time space of Tyria into the mists to reform at another location. Which is exactly what the Revenant does with its teleports in practice. But, the Revenant has a better mastery over it in they can create much longer rips in this space time than the assassin. However its still effectively the same type of spell. There is also the fact that communing with spirits was not considered magic and didn't follow the same rules of magic in gw1. Canonically, ritualist spirits didn't follow the laws of magic. Revenant's magic is just that. Magic. It still has to follow those laws. And although Ritualists do use magic, I'm not arguing that, they didn't always. Revenant's magic is also considered a new type of magic in the canon.

You know what does act similar to the ritualist in practice and philosophy? Necromancer. They both commune with spirits of the dead. Not just legends like the Revenant. Both reanimate the dead. revenant can't do that without aid from a legend. Both seek a connection with death and they tend towards power through death or the understanding of it. Both seek to rule over the dead. Revenant doesn't seek this. It wants the new magic in order to augment itself into a better fighter. Revenant doesn't wear bones to better commune with the dead. They don't preform rituals to conjure the dead. They don't preform dances to entice the dead. These are all traits the necromancer and the ritualist absolutely do.

There is also the Cultural significant of the ritualist among the Canthan people as priests. They're still very much in practice in cantha much like the dervish is still active in Elona. So, ritualists still exist. But when ritualist enemies end up in the game you're likely to find them pretty immobile of not outright afraid to engage in melee combat and pepper the field with short lasting spirits that will probably inflict torment and burning. Maybe even heal their allies or apply aegis or barrier.