Upcoming Bonus Events

@"Chris Cleary.8017" said:Reading through your comments so far since the event has started, the main feedback that I'm seeing since the World Boss Rush started is that the box doesn't feel rewarding, with most players calling out that they "only got a few mats". I do want to point out that a Piece of Rare Unidentified Gear is a guaranteed drop unless you get a Rare/Super Rare drop.

Going into this event we know that we have a lot we can improve on, and making repeatable rewards that feel rewarding is one of them. There are a number of designs internally to accomplish this, and getting rewards right is a critical part of making these events fun.

Thanks for your feedback everyone, keep it coming!

Maybe the guaranteed rare should go into a Guaranteed category like with the BL chest preview, or get a different colored border and a tooltip message explaining it's guaranteed unless you get a different rare drop.

The event could also give a second reward: a token that can be obtained every day with a daily achievement from any world boss, and that can be obtained 9 additional times a day during the world boss rush event.Then add somewhere a vendor that exchanges those tokens with choices of account bound rewards that can only be obtained from events and other interesting things. To make sure the token costs don't have to be too high, the vendor prices would not require just tokens, there would be extra costs for things like ascended recipes (+ laurels) or ascended boxes of gear (+Grandmaster Marks from crafting disciplines), tradable items (+gold) and other account bound items (+karma).

The vendor could include account bound drops from world bosses like Tequatl 'shoard so players with rotten luck can have at least some hope to get them, account bound loot drops like Delusion, unobtainable items like Zhaitaffy, Dragon, etc.

Something like this:

• The bonus box we are getting now: 1 token.
  • Zhaitaffy x25: 1 token
  • Any dragon Bash foods x3: 1 token.
  • Ascended Zealot recipes: 20 tokens & 5 laurels
  • Currency vouchers: 25 tokens.
  • A Tequatl's Hoard: 45 tokens + 3 ascended marks, 1 from each weapon discipline.
  • A box with one of the Triple trouble ascended armors: 60 tokens + 3 ascended marks, 1 from each armor discipline.
  • A statuette or a bl key: 50 tokens.
  • One of the Season 1 memory boxes: 50 tokens.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really mind the rewards but what turned me off the event eventually was the atrocious game performance when the blob engaged the WB, with the game devolving into a slideshow with skills not activating anymore. Maybe there should be additional map instances opened with smaller player caps during the event. I generally wish you'd design your meta events with the engine's limitations in mind. You kind of managed to ease the problem during HOT metas by dividing players up. With LS4 however nearly every big event (Paladawan, Shatterer, Thunderhead Keap etc) suffers from extremely bad performance.

Since some people here still argue that the extra loot is valuable and can even help you "on your path to a legendary", here's exactly what I got from the 9 boxes I opened at once:j2P4FZt.png

2 x Jute Scrap3 x Copper Ore2 x Platinum Ore2 x Mithril Ore1 x Pile of Shimmering Dust2 x Green Wood Log1 x Heavy Bone1 x Seasoned Wood Log1 x Silver Ore3 x Soft Wood Log2 X Tiny Fang1 x Hard Wood Log1 x Tiny Claw1 x Bone1 x Rawhide Leather Section1 x Gold Ore1 x Tiny Totem1 x Gossamer Scrap

and the 9 rare salvage things, which aren't bad. The loot without them is worth maybe 26 Silver. Doing 9 world bosses takes more than 2 hours. The 9 Pieces of Rare Unidentified Gear are worth 1g 74s. So in total you get bonus loot of 1 gold per hour, with a tiny chance to get a very rare drop. While doing a world boss run can be fun and Tequatl or Triple Trouble are certainly well-created, and you still get the usual loot from them, this extra incentive simply doesn't cut it. Adding T6 crafting materials to the table would do no harm at all, maybe bring it up to 5 gold per hour extra stuff. It's still nothing compared to the leather farm or other events, or fractals or WvW.

And no, I didn't expect a very rare drop from 9 kills, like some kind of infusion. But to be honest, I wouldn't expect such a drop from 3000 of these boxes. You don't farm for these items, that's like farming the mushroom to get invisible shoes, which drop maybe once every 20.000th kill. I expected a little bit more exciting materials to come out of these boxes. I regularly get Deldrimor Steel or Elonian Leather Squares from playing WvW and Tier 6 mats.

The idea is good, but the rewards could be more interesting. Super rare drops are fine but I thought about a reward idea that would help promote gem store sales + breath some life into the reward system for similar events.

We all know rare items are revered simply because they are rare + unique in some sense. Guild Wars 2 is really lacking in this department and understandably if all the unique/cool items were drops, no one would spend on the gemstore.

Take the invisible slippers. From a fashion standpoint, it's really not great, but because it's super rare, it's worth is high. Infusions are also revered for their uniqueness and rareness.

Why not create more unique rare + super rare drops (why doesn't every world boss have a mini already?) that are cool in their own right, but perhaps, sell something(jewel,etc, that give unique effect or can enhance the look, ability of said item ) on the gemstore that can make it truly unique. Similar to infusions, these enhancements can have unique combinations, effects. I.E., armors/weapons/mini's/, but also have these enhancements drop very rarely in the game and black lion chests.

Basically the more unique items in the world, the more excitement there is to do an event, and the more enhancements will be in demand from the gemstore. Each region/map should have specific drops. For example, how the chak infusion only drops from tangled depths meta. To promote finishing metas, the higher the participation, the higher your chance of these drops. There's proof this works(Verdant Brink Meta), where the players are willing to put in work to get to the highest security level to get better rewards and guarantee blade armor drop. The only reason it's not done more is because the end reward is no longer as valuable, once they get the full set.

I know I went off tangent to meta events, but this can also be incorporated for world bosses and other future events. This is just a rough idea that can be refined, but rare/unique drops are the heart of every MMO game I've played.

I know Guild Wars 2 reward system was meant to give everyone a chance to get an item over time, but as the chak infusion has proven, it's okay that not everyone can get a super rare/unique item, but they are awed when someone has it. I've not heard complaints. They however surely can attain said item, if they have the gold and someone is willing to sell, or with a little luck get it from a drop.

There of course needs to have intermediate guarantee rewards and there's lots of talk of giving a token where players can trade it in for items(something useful should suffice) of their choice. An example is HOT currencies(ley line crystals,etc) that have proven to be rewarding as they are needed and can be traded in for items. This is better than the guarantee rare item.

@HardRider.2980 said:

@"Chris Cleary.8017" said:Reading through your comments so far since the event has started, the main feedback that I'm seeing since the World Boss Rush started is that the box doesn't feel rewarding, with most players calling out that they "only got a few mats". I do want to point out that a Piece of Rare Unidentified Gear is a guaranteed drop unless you get a Rare/Super Rare drop.

Going into this event we know that we have a lot we can improve on, and making repeatable rewards that feel rewarding is one of them. There are a number of designs internally to accomplish this, and getting rewards right is a critical part of making these events fun.

People are just upset they aren't getting the Super duppa ultra rare mega gold infusions.

I'm not. Please don't speak for others. I'm disappointed -- not upset; this is only a game -- that the rewards seem lackluster for something advertised as a "special event." Doesn't seem special. YMMV

The Boss Event is a fantastic idea, I have notice the amount of players at each boss increasing, so amazing, like when GW2 first came out. I think the bonus chest is a great idea however the loot could be a bit better and not so rare. Events mean so much to this game and for those players who wish to keep active. Thank you....

The tiny additional reward of the event box is completely insignificant. Unless you happen to be one of the handful of players that get the ultra-rare this week, this is basically normal World Boss Train with a ton of extra people. Why are people doing it?

Except for the infinitesimal chance of the infusion or the slightly better chance of the (completely pointless) shoes, anyone could do this "event" any day of the year for exactly the same rewards. And plenty do. World Bosses are well-attended and have been, consistently, since the game began. Looking at the crazy numbers turning out, it seems most people either didn't know, or had forgotten, there was already a World Boss Train running all day, every day.

What it suggests is that the rewards have little to do with what people do in the short term - hype is much more powerful. Rewards are what keep people grinding or farming week in, week out but for short events all that matters is publicity.

I would suggest that a good system for these kinds of events would be to allocate unique rewards to each. Nothing spectacular: titles are always good, as are minis. Set the bar at a very reasonable level, like killing five or ten Bosses over the course of the event to prevent people feeling they have to grind all week. Make it something you can do at will, for fun, for something readily achievable that you can't get elsewhere.

If you try to balance the rewards to be valuable in terms of time spent on other farms the whole thing will degenerate into just another spreadsheet excercise rather than the amusing diversion it was presumably intended to be. If you add a currency and offer valuable rewards for accruing it, some people will end up resenting "having" to grind it out to get what they want. Better to tailor specific rewards to specific events and keep the whole thing on the level of casual fun that can be enjoyed by those who like that sort of thing and ignored by those who don't.

I don't want to feel rude or anything but people only said about mats because one more yellow weapon/armor is worth nothing nowadays...

I ran the events yesterday after work until very late and was satisfied with the rewards. The materials dropped were worth the effort and the extra rare unidentified drop was good. - Thank you.

Seeing how quickly an old-design boss could go down was interesting, too, though the Tripple Trouble PUG failed. Attracting both new and old players to world events with a bit of extra loot is a good idea. Please consider making a challenge mode for world bosses on weekends after the daily cap is restored.

For the amount of wait time between events and the pre-events, world bosses will probably not become material farms despite the added loot but they are easy community casual events.

From what I am reading I think this might be something people are looking for:

• Keep the current chest.
  • Add a little more loot that drops that gives people more gold so it's on par with the other farms.
  • Add a Token that can be spent at a vendor to get special rewards.As of typing this there is no Confetti infusions so its important to keep the chest as the main drop as there does need to be a tiny bit more supply.

@Anchoku.8142 said:I ran the events yesterday after work until very late and was satisfied with the rewards. The materials dropped were worth the effort and the extra rare unidentified drop was good. - Thank you.

Seeing how quickly an old-design boss could go down was interesting, too, though the Tripple Trouble PUG failed. Attracting both new and old players to world events with a bit of extra loot is a good idea. Please consider making a challenge mode for world bosses on weekends after the daily cap is restored.

For the amount of wait time between events and the pre-events, world bosses will probably not become material farms despite the added loot but they are easy community casual events.

You're satisfied with 1g/hour? That's 1/20th the gold of SW. That's less gold than running around mining for 15 minutes.

@Shiyo.3578 said:

@Anchoku.8142 said:I ran the events yesterday after work until very late and was satisfied with the rewards. The materials dropped were worth the effort and the extra rare unidentified drop was good. - Thank you.

You're satisfied with 1g/hour? That's 1/20th the gold of SW. That's less gold than running around mining for 15 minutes.

For the difficulty of the events, yes. The original world boss events were super-casual and easy for new players to get into. The reworked world bosses already include a little more reward.

Also, I doubt these world boss events are meant to compete with organized farming. The total additional materials will probably not affect the market much, if at all, so the economy should be fine.

For real gold/hour, go with your own farming rotation. Otherwise, this is just a community casual experiment and, maybe, a load test.

• ArenaNet Staff

Hi everyone,

I noticed that this thread veered from its original topic to discussing the current Bonus Event. There are other threads discussing different aspects of the current Bonus Event and I encourage you to provide your feedback on these threads, so that we can get back on topic and players can propose ideas about Bonus Events.

Thank you!

@"Chris Cleary.8017" said:Reading through your comments so far since the event has started, the main feedback that I'm seeing since the World Boss Rush started is that the box doesn't feel rewarding, with most players calling out that they "only got a few mats". I do want to point out that a Piece of Rare Unidentified Gear is a guaranteed drop unless you get a Rare/Super Rare drop.Going into this event we know that we have a lot we can improve on, and making repeatable rewards that feel rewarding is one of them. There are a number of designs internally to accomplish this, and getting rewards right is a critical part of making these events fun.

Considering that Reddit is full of the most demanding and vocal players, I think you've done fine. I remember back when I was new. An extra rare was a big thing, now that I'm old and jaded, it seems paltry. But, I think the balance is good. The infusions were a fun add-on as a 'Tasty Carrot'.

Vet players forget that a majority of the players are happy with this scale of bonuses. As stated elsewhere, a bigger pool of less rare items, perhaps, account bound goodies would have been nicer. Anything that floods the market with mats is bad for everyone.

They aren't even happy that Anet gives players roughly 4g / day with login rewards plus daily event rewards. Flooding us with gold won't help anything except raise the expectations. Huge reward farms like AB multi, Istan, SW, Halloween Laby, WD gifts, and Lunar New Year, spoil the tone of the game and reinforce the loot-grubbing activities, instead of encouraging exploration and skill building.

I usually don't even bother with gw2's version of super rare drops.Because I know the chance of something good dropping is like what 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001%I never get anything good when shitty RNG is involved.This is the reason, I only do things I can work towards, like precursor crafting (thank you for that btw) instead of relying on low probability RNG.I know some like it, but honestly, it disgusts me that we still have to rely on this shitty thing called RNG.

For this event, it would be nice if the drop tables weren't full of crappy drops, and the chances for something good to drop wasn't0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001%

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

@Devildoc.6721 said:This event reasserts the need for a good breakbar tutorial. Too many people in these boss events for like the shatterer just plain don't know what a breakbar is even though anet has intended for us to use them as part of the boss fight mechanics. That's on anet to fix because we can try to make informative forum posts or use map chat to attempt to instruct people on what to do, but many players never view the forums, never look at chat. So we need something in the tutorial to address what is such a common mechanic in the game. It's about as important as dodging, and dodging has a tutorial (even though it's a badly implemented side tutorial that these same players who don't care about improving skip)

You changed the new player experience and tutorials before taking out the downed state tutorial, you can do it again.

When the event is nothing more than a 3minute skill lagfest and particle effect massacre.. breakbars become irrelevant.Breakbars or not, they don't last long enough for players to care.. it's all about getting in the map, putting skill 1 on auto and going to make a coffee then collect loot (if you dont have the auto loot) remap to next boss.. rinse repeat.The only exception is maybe Teq where you have to stop auto attacking (mostly) when Teq flies off and the defence stages start.. kinda becomes 3 or 4 stages of auto attacking with a short run in between.Breakbars on world bosses became irrelevant 5minutes after they were introduced imo.

Tell that to Serpent's Ire. Not to mention there are still achievements that'd be nice to get on the Shatterer bosses in both Blazeridge and Jahai.

So this post will be on topic please bare with me as I go through my thoughts on the topic. Some of this will be addressed to the current event but will lead into ideas on new events as well.

The reward system is a little on the messed up side of things. RNG being as it and the items being offered up in the box itself. Most people got excited about the chance at the infusions. I know that was one thing that caught my attention. But with RNG you have a chance to get mainly trash in my opinion. And if you happen to get lucky for the super rare it will mostly be one you didn't want or already have stored away. Yes you could sell it but the random stuff is a big problem at times. Now on to ways to improve as well as ideas for new bonus events.

I like the idea of a boss week it sounds fun. I don't play much in wvw or pvp so mostly i'll say what I think for PVE.

A bounty hunter week. Not unlike the bounty board but more towards each day a random boss event is pulled out and set as a bounty. This could be a bounty board boss or a timer world boss or maybe a boss from the new maps. You may even have a dungeon or fractal boss tossed into it.

Double reward week for a certain map or random map per day.

You could have a gathering week this would give a daily event where you log/gather/mine a high number of nodes giving a percentage like an achievement. Once completed it gives a reward could be something per day or a large number for the whole week.

Class of the day/week play through events as the selected class. (would be cool to do this as would give people a chance to experience different classes or specializations.

As for the rewards I like the idea of being able to choose my reward or to know that I am getting a solid reward from the get go. You can have a token currency and a bonus week shop that allows you to spend those tokens to buy certain other things that are being awarded or keep for the next event. This would allow the first boss you killed to give the token while also giving a bonus box of RNG rewards such as crafting materials. You can have an achievement that gives a specific reward for completion of said event. You have done this with holiday events. The main thing is to make the rewards worth playing for and also keep the expected numbers within a reasonable level. Rewards I personally would like to see in these events. Old outfits you can't get anymore. Maybe a new outfit made for the event. Cosmetic infusions. Legendary materials possibly. unbreakable gathering tools. Black lion keys. armor weapon skins / black lion scraps/tickets. I am sure others have posted on their idea of good rewards So i'll just leave it at that.

I also think reworking the Mastery rewards is something that should be done. You know after you have already unlock everything and your just getting exp. Unless you plan to release more things you can do with spirit shards.

Like what others have mentioned.

GUARANTEED rare unid gear is a godsend in terms of managing inventory space as they stack but it takes the fun out of getting a specific item from the kill itself.

Also the games drop system never felt impactful for loot because loot low quality loot is too common and everything is a piñata. Lower quality loot is farmed and converted into something more useful. Rare unid at best is converted to ectos.

Well this could be changed if opening a unid rare has a chance of getting exotic or what's better is unidentified bag that are exotic.

If you want feedback on the current specific Bonus Event, make an official thread for it rather than waiting for the forums to spam a bunch of them making the feedback process impossible.

World Bosses aren't really anything worthwhile for time invested. Adding just one rare unidentified and a material drop is comparable to just killing a random mob in the game.

The first thing they need to do is move the monocles and the recipe into the Rare slot. Stop making it possible to get a sub par drop when you managed to roll a Super Rare!