World Boss Week starts today

@Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:

@"Ayrilana.1396" said:Why would it?

Unless it specifically states that it’s affected then you can assume that it doesn’t.

This is a new event with a new set of containers. There's nowhere to list whether or not magic find affects it.

Nowhere? It would be listed on the container itself just like the existing containers that are affected by MF.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Khisanth.2948 said:

Unless it specifically states that it’s affected then you can assume that it doesn’t.

This is a new event with a new set of containers. There's nowhere to list whether or not magic find affects it.

Nowhere? It would be listed on the container itself just like the existing containers that are affected by MF.

Not always. There are chests on the ground that can be affected by MF, but have nowhere to list it because they never enter your inventory. There are additional drops from events that only appear if you happen to get it, and these unseen drops can also be affected by magic find.

The MF system is really inconsistent in that way.

@Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:

Not always.

The MF system is
really inconsistent
in that way.

The MF system is really consistent, in that way.

• MF affects foe drops only, unless explicitly stated otherwise.
  • This includes a small subset of containers, which fall into three categories: LNY envelopes, reward track drops meant to mimic loot dropped from foes, and some like-named containers from HoT events.
  • The sole exception to the above are Lost Bandit Chests in the Silverwastes
  • If there are other exceptions, I can find no record of them.

There are chests on the ground that can be affected by MF, but have nowhere to list it because they never enter your inventory.

I have not found any ANet quote that supports this, nor any verifiable research that addresses the issue one way or another. Do you have a source you can point to? If not, can you at least name which ground chests you believe to be affected so that others can attempt to search for a source?

There are additional drops from events that only appear if you happen to get it,Same: I can find no source for this. I would be grateful if you could help identify the origin of the claim.

@Klipso.8653 said:The loot from these bonus chests are the equivalent of killing a random moa

Except that (a) you can kill more than 4 moas/hour (or even 12/hour for those efficiently multi-looting) and (b) the moa's super rare drops are legendary precursors and maybe an ascended gear box, whereas these containers have a chance of dropping the priciest infusions and similarly low-supply loot. (Sure, the drop rate is infinitesimal, which also makes it more than 0.)

On the whole, this is one of those special events which is great if you were already in the habit of participating regularly (more loot is never bad), barely interesting enough for those on the fence about joining in, and of little interest to the rest of us.

And that's fine with me. I'd love to see some sort of special event once a month, because they appeal a lot to some people... and that's ultimately good for the game and for the population... which ends up being good for me, even if I don't enjoy any of the special events myself.

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" saidThe MF system is really consistent, in that way.

• MF affects foe drops only, unless explicitly stated otherwise.
  • This includes a small subset of containers, which fall into three categories: LNY envelopes, reward track drops meant to mimic loot dropped from foes, and some like-named containers from HoT events.
  • The sole exception to the above are Lost Bandit Chests in the Silverwastes
  • If there are other exceptions, I can find no record of them.

There are chests on the ground that can be affected by MF, but have nowhere to list it because they never enter your inventory.

I have not found any ANet quote that supports this, nor any verifiable research that addresses the issue one way or another. Do you have a source you can point to? If not, can you at least name which ground chests you believe to be affected so that others can attempt to search for a source?

Lost Bandit Chests are an exception. Likewise, the wiki lists "caches and loot boxes from heart of thorns." Does that include stuff like crystaline caches? How about things like the end-boss chests for these world events. There's a phrase frequently uttered that says "magic find affects everything that is auto-looted," which would include these end-event chests. Is it true?

There are additional drops from events that only appear if you happen to get it,Same: I can find no source for this. I would be grateful if you could help identify the origin of the claim.

I don't keep a record of where I've heard everything. But I have heard that some of the rarer drops from the Treasure Mushroom are influenced by magic find. I can't find any information about it either way, though.

@"Blood Red Arachnid.2493" said:Lost Bandit Chests are an exception.

Which was noted above by me and the wiki. What else?

Likewise, the wiki lists "caches and loot boxes from heart of thorns." Does that include stuff like crystaline caches?

YesHow about things like the end-boss chests for these world events.

No, it's the specific containers called "cache" and they are mirrored by the reward track equivalents.

There's a phrase frequently uttered that says "magic find affects everything that is auto-looted," which would include these end-event chests. Is it true?No, and never was. It was a misphrasing of the concept: magic find affects drops from foes, became interpreted as "magic find affects drops."

I have heard that some of the rarer drops from the Treasure Mushroom are influenced by magic find. I can't find any information about it either way, though.There is absolutely no way someone could collect enough data to have any idea if Treasure Mushrooms were affected by Magic Find, which would mean such a claim would require a dev quote to substantiate it. In the absence of such a statement, I don't think it's a reasonable claim

I don't keep a record of where I've heard everything.

I'm not saying you need to keep a record personally. However, it's not helpful to repeat rumors. If something is true for the game, there should be some sort of record: dev quote, research by fans, data mined evidence, whatever. Without any of that, it makes the game seem more complicated and/or inconsistent than it really is.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@"Blood Red Arachnid.2493" said:Lost Bandit Chests are an exception.

Which was noted above by me and the wiki. What else?

Likewise, the wiki lists "caches and loot boxes from heart of thorns." Does that include stuff like crystaline caches?

Yes

Then this makes a second exception alongside of the Lost Bandit Chests. Likewise, ground-placed chests in Auric Basin, Verdant Brink, and Dragon Stand would be 3rd, 4th, and 5th.

How about things like the end-boss chests for these world events.

No, it's the specific containers called "cache" and they are mirrored by the reward track equivalents.

This confuses me. So does that mean that only the Tangled Depths Crystaline Caches are affected by magic find?

I don't keep a record of where I've heard everything.

I'm not saying you need to keep a record personally. However, it's not helpful to repeat rumors. If something is true for the game, there should be some sort of record: dev quote, research by fans, data mined evidence, whatever. Without any of that, it makes the game seem more complicated and/or inconsistent than it really is.

Therein lies the rub. There's a lot that the devs don't say about a lot of things. All we have is rumor. To inquire or even test some of these things would require a great amount of time and effort on the player's part.

I appreciate the event itself but the fact people are misusing Squads to farm multiple World Bosses each cycle (using multiple map instances to kill the same boss repeatedly,) while most players have to wait 15~30 minutes for each spawn -- honestly, it just kills the reason for me to bother participating.

The best part is, those who are doing this use "Anet said it was okay, shut up" excuse when concern is exercised -- this basically means they knew it's misusing a system flaw related to this event and had to check before they did so, otherwise they were worried about getting banned as this obviously was not the intended use for Squads nor how World Bosses work.

I'll pass on this. If the event is allowing users to do this to get an edge over every other legitimate player, then you guys should have the bosses respawn after each defeat for their entire event window on the same map instance, until the next boss & it's timer window begins.

An easy fix would be to only allow one box per boss window (otherwise, let the bosses respawn throughout the event window for multiple completions.)

However, even then players are already upset with the bad quality drops from the box which is why this is being done in the first place, to get more chances for rarer loot over other players.

@"Rukario.1695" said:I appreciate the event itself but the fact people are misusing Squads to farm multiple World Bosses each cycle (using multiple map instances to kill the same boss repeatedly,) while most players have to wait 15~30 minutes for each spawn -- honestly, it just kills the reason for me to bother participating.

The best part is, those who are doing this use "Anet said it was okay, shut up" excuse when concern is exercised -- this basically means they knew it's abusing a system and had to check before they did so, otherwise they were worried about getting banned.

I'll pass on this. If the event is allowing users to abuse squads and multiple map instances, then you guys should have the bosses respawn after each defeat for their entire event window, until the next boss & it's timer window begins.

I am not sure where you are located by I am currently on NA servers and the tags are moving from boss to boss according to the event timer like any other train you see on any given night. Map jumping doesn't bother me if the players defeat the boss. Plus the loot that drops, including the loot from the bonus box, contains nothing lucrative except a super low chance at something rare so all these players are doing is increasing the chances their bags will get full of crap that they have to salvage. ;-) You shouldn't remove your own opportunity for fun just because you disagree with someone else. Personally, I am just happy to see ppl running WBs and having fun in Central Tyria again.

@Zushada.6108 said:

@"Rukario.1695" said:I appreciate the event itself but the fact people are misusing Squads to farm multiple World Bosses each cycle (using multiple map instances to kill the same boss repeatedly,) while most players have to wait 15~30 minutes for each spawn -- honestly, it just kills the reason for me to bother participating.

The best part is, those who are doing this use "Anet said it was okay, shut up" excuse when concern is exercised -- this basically means they knew it's abusing a system and had to check before they did so, otherwise they were worried about getting banned.

I'll pass on this. If the event is allowing users to abuse squads and multiple map instances, then you guys should have the bosses respawn after each defeat for their entire event window, until the next boss & it's timer window begins.

I am not sure where you are located by I am currently on NA servers and the tags are moving from boss to boss according to the event timer like any other train you see on any given night. Map jumping doesn't bother me if the players defeat the boss. Plus the loot that drops, including the loot from the bonus box, contains nothing lucrative except a super low chance at something rare so all these players are doing is increasing the chances their bags will get full of kitten that they have to salvage. ;-) You shouldn't remove your own opportunity for fun just because you disagree with someone else. Personally, I am just happy to see ppl running WBs and having fun in Central Tyria again.

TBH.. if there has been one constant in GW2 its there has always been a world boss train.. just we now have a world boss hoarde train bringing the skill lag with them as they churn and burn the bosses.

@"Zushada.6108" said:I am not sure where you are located by I am currently on NA servers and the tags are moving from boss to boss according to the event timer like any other train you see on any given night. Map jumping doesn't bother me if the players defeat the boss. Plus the loot that drops, including the loot from the bonus box, contains nothing lucrative except a super low chance at something rare so all these players are doing is increasing the chances their bags will get full of kitten that they have to salvage. ;-) You shouldn't remove your own opportunity for fun just because you disagree with someone else. Personally, I am just happy to see ppl running WBs and having fun in Central Tyria again.

Maguuma server, and I can guest over to other servers if necessary, but I doubt it would be much different.

I usually run world bosses when I don't have much else to do, it's my main way of getting Tyria Mastery Experience. However, this event doesn't really push me/us to keep attending the events due to the absurd drop table chances; and with what I mentioned earlier, that drains the motivation I have to bother trying for the boxes at all.

The squads you see moving maps with you are likely those who don't know about the "method" and/or are single players with no party members, only a Squad tag posted.

I've seen a number of comments about the super low chance of getting anything interesting, and I agree it is too low to make it fun to do the bosses again. I imagine ANet wanted to keep things low due to the economic impact of a flood of cool things and valuable mats, but it makes the individual player feel unrewarded compared to expectation.

Perhaps for future such events ANet should examine what ESO has been doing for its 5th Anniversary. In that event special boxes are rewarded for doing dailies (most of which are more involved tasks than GW2's), and while not every box has anything exciting in it there is a solid chance of getting a special skin, or a crafting motif (which both lets you make things of a specific style and use that style on already made gear), or spiffy furniture recipes. All the box rewards are tradeable, even though that's pushing the player sale prices down on them. Beyond that, a very simple activity to perform on login gives you tokens towards buying bits and pieces of special mount skins so even if you forego the box gathering you're progressing towards a longer term result.

So I'm putting in an hour a day in ESO blithely doing my crafting dailies on 6 alts to get 36 boxes for the day, and during the pair of weeks containing boxes for craft dailies I haven't had a day go by without getting something interesting. If I played ESO as much as I play GW2, I'd have gotten even more boxes from the various PvE group activities that have rewarded them. While the forums there are hardly free of complaint about the event, I feel that overall it has been very satisfying. I wish the Boss Week was offering the same feeling.

@Eremes Guile.1480 said:don't think they even put any of those shiny cosmetic infusions in there tbh.

Someone that a guildmate saw apparently got a Queen Bee infusion. But that's part of the problem, out of 600 active members in this guild, one person saw someone unrelated tag it. And that was the one thing since the event started meanwhile they have been running this event all day since it began.

I'd sooner make enough money from Trade Post flipping to buy my infusion than I would by opening boxes, and that's the reality I'm left with.

@"Stephane Lo Presti.7258" said:Hi! I wanted to share a quick news that you can join us today on a special livestream (on Twitch, YouTube and Facebook) and in game as we play the World Boss Beatdown! We’ll be playing on EU worlds beginning at Noon Pacific Time (UTC-7). See you in game!

I hope you will enjoy your loot boxes containing a couple of nice tier 1 mats and a rare item worth 20 silvers ;o)

@Blocki.4931 said:Nobody wants their rare items devalued by everybody having them. But having more than 1 or only a couple of chances at one of them a day is fantastic for the people who do hope to get one some day.

I'm perfectly fine with it. In fact, I welcome it. I don't like items because they're rare. I like items because I like the item. It's always been unusual from my perspective that some people would rather keep things that they don't care about away from other people, just so they can say that they have something rare. Yes, I have been in a position before where something I had that was rare has become less rare, and I was happy about it. In such a case, usually the closest thing to a negative feeling I get is simply that I wish I could have gotten it when it was easier, because grinding for rare things usually isn't fun.

For the record, I don't really care about this event. The post about it piqued my interest, but I figured I'd check it out and not invest too heavily depending on how the rewards turned out. It turns out, the rewards aren't that great so I'll go back to waiting for the next episode, simple as that. I just want to chime in about it while it's relevant.

I just saw another thread about the drops in this event, and there seemed to be an implied agreement that you can only complain about the drops if you didn't want a rare item. I don't see why that should be the case. If an item isn't noticeably easier to get here than any other time, then I might as well keep doing it the normal way. There is an item I've wanted that was mentioned in the announcement post. I want it because I like the item. I want to be able to use it for different character designs, I don't care if anyone else ever sees me use it. I don't care that it's rare. I hate that it's rare, because it makes it absurdly expensive and hard to get, even though people are calling it junk in other threads.

I was hoping that if I didn't see it drop during the event, that at least its price would go down on the Trading Post from other people getting lucky. So far, neither have happened.

I guess the only thing I can say is, I feel like it would been better off to just not let us know the potential bonus drops at all. Just tease that you can find something special and let the community try to figure out what those are. In the end, it doesn't really matter, I'm legitimately not upset. I'm simply and only barely disappointed, because the event seems far more conservative than it needs to be, even for the more common drops. I haven't played Guild Wars 2 in awhile, I thought this could be an excuse to play again for a bit, and it was, but that's all it was.

As I saw one person say in map chat -- this event is a colossal waste of time. It needs to have rewards that will make it worth it for any player who participates, not just the tiny number of people who will get a super rare.

But the bonus chests aren't even as good as the daily boss chests. Sure, there's some minuscule chance of getting a super rare, but the vast majority of players are just going to get low level mats plus one, count it ONE, rare unid. One rare unid every 15 minutes is not worth it for the average player, who can spend a couple hours either in Silverwastes or on the LW4 meta train and get better rewards than an entire day of bonus chests. For pete's sake, we don't need to get infusions, but throw us a bone or two, more than just some random piece of rare gear we can salvage for ectos but is otherwise worthless.

Really isn't worth the time unless lightning strikes. And that's not going to happen for most of us.

I feel lied to by Anet. I know they didn't -- but it feels like it. An event is supposed to deliver more than a box containing 3 tier 1 to tier 3 items. I've run world boss trains for approximately 10 hours by now (not all at once of course) and hit every boss at least 3x except for T3. I agree with the guy/gal who said it was a colossal waste of time. I cannot understand the purpose behind this event if the rewards were going to be such trash. If not an out and out troll by Anet, then this event is a huge disappointment at best.