So what is it that makes a Rifle+Great sword warrior "Bad"

It seems like the theme for pvp is "tanky circle man". Everyone wants someone who is relatively hard to kill, who can bombard an area with tons of AOE, if you're not doing that, you're spinning as either a thief or a warrior as a wrecking ball.

I only own the base game, so i don't know much about the newer stuff. What i do know is that I literally bought this game and have played it for the GS+Rifle warrior because i think it is the most unique and fun thing to play out of any mmo i've ever played. And ive played a lot of MMO's.

So lets talk about what makes it bad, so that we can address it's weaknesses.

1. To be impactful here you need to load yourself up with a ton of power and precision. To do this, you naturally sacrifice inate tankyness. You become a glass cannon.
  2. There's a massive weakness in the mid range. Too close to use the rifle, too far to use the great sword. Bassically any class that can get close while zoning, rangers obliterate us, i have been downed by their pets alone
  3. I have an internal debate over the rifles lack of AOE. On the one hand, all shots peirce the target, so a kill shot could go through 5 players and kill all of them. On the other hand, thats never going to happen

@"Invoker.5462" said:It seems like the theme for pvp is "tanky circle man". Everyone wants someone who is relatively hard to kill, who can bombard an area with tons of AOE, if you're not doing that, you're spinning as either a thief or a warrior as a wrecking ball.

I only own the base game, so i don't know much about the newer stuff. What i do know is that I literally bought this game and have played it for the GS+Rifle warrior because i think it is the most unique and fun thing to play out of any mmo i've ever played. And ive played a lot of MMO's.

1. To be impactful here you need to load yourself up with a ton of power and precision. To do this, you naturally sacrifice inate tankyness. You become a glass cannon.
  2. There's a massive weakness in the mid range. Too close to use the rifle, too far to use the great sword. Bassically any class that can get close while zoning, rangers obliterate us, i have been downed by their pets alone
  3. I have an internal debate over the rifles lack of AOE. On the one hand, all shots peirce the target, so a kill shot could go through 5 players and kill all of them. On the other hand, thats never going to happen

Not you sure what you wanna polemize about, you answered your own title =D

@Alatar.7364 said:

@"Invoker.5462" said:It seems like the theme for pvp is "tanky circle man". Everyone wants someone who is relatively hard to kill, who can bombard an area with tons of AOE, if you're not doing that, you're spinning as either a thief or a warrior as a wrecking ball.

Do you have anything to add?

@Invoker.5462 said:

@Invoker.5462 said:It seems like the theme for pvp is "tanky circle man". Everyone wants someone who is relatively hard to kill, who can bombard an area with tons of AOE, if you're not doing that, you're spinning as either a thief or a warrior as a wrecking ball.

Do you have anything to add?

I don't think there is anything or much to add, that's the point.The only time when Rifle Warrior feels strong is at the first engagement when enemy doesn't expect to meet Rifle Warrior, but from that moment on, it's just too easy to kill.

I don't understand, are you upset that your glass cannon is not tanky?

You can't have your cake and eat it mate, it's called the law of economic scarcity, you either have a glass cannon rifle man that kills before being killed, or a tanky soldier that hits his enemy with a piece of over cooked pasta, not both!

the whole idea of sitting down (for what used to be a 2 sec animation) and firing a big obvious shot at the end was flawed from the beginning. the animation needs to get cleaned up big time. remove the stationary part, maybe reduce the cast time by a tad, and make the projectile very fast. make brutal shot evade backwards for a longer distance. maybe then it will be semi viable.

you really gotta choose between fun or effectiveness

The rifle I think it's worse than double axe in every aspect, btw for core warrior gs double axe is the only viable build, unless you can pull out something with hammer which is still worse than double axe, or axe/shield for a more deffensive option. GS is mandatory tho.

Overall I think the only playable core classes right now are ranger, thief and guard, the rest are far behing their expansion counterparts

GS/LB core war is better, because LB damage skills are more versatile, for example 3/f1 can fire at anywhere when you are facing anywhere, like you can kit while applying pressure at the same timerifle limit warrior's in fight positioning, which warrior already lacks, you have to be facing the enemy.also the lack of range AoE makes it less good, since this is a capture the point game, i imagine rifle would be better in WvW(open world)F1 single attack with huge cast time are also too easily blinded/blocked/avoided.

@Khalisto.5780 said:you really gotta choose between fun or effectiveness

The rifle I think it's worse than double axe in every aspect, btw for core warrior gs double axe is the only viable build, unless you can pull out something with hammer which is still worse than double axe, or axe/shield for a more deffensive option. GS is mandatory tho.

Overall I think the only playable core classes right now are ranger, thief and guard, the rest are far behing their expansion counterparts

What gamemode are you talking about? I think its pretty clear that hes talking pvp or wvw. Gs/axe axe?Axe offhand is literal trash, core warrior with gs and axe+shield is a very strong dueler

Have you ever fought a well played Core Warrior?

He will rip you a new one.

Hmm. Well, you answered your own question. Kiting's a pain and you're reaaaally squishy....

But if you embrace that and, instead of going for the tanky point-defense style you go for roaming burst damage, rifle is a beautiful thing. 2 signets (unblock and feroc), Bolas and "to the limit!" You can get 2 unblockable killshots off in 3 seconds, each doing~12k damage. Or, dive into a team, pop signets and 1000 blades a team. it's dumb. Gou're going to die a lot, but boy is it sooooo fun when it works.

@DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Have you ever fought a well played Core Warrior?

He will rip you a new one.

Also this. So surprising how easy it is to dunk on people with mace-shield/hammer.