Requiem: Caithe

• ArenaNet Staff

The third story in the “All or Nothing: Requiem” series is available to read today. It contains heavy spoilers for Living World Season 4.

Caithe’s story was written by Samantha Wallschlaeger and Alex Kain of the ArenaNet Narrative Team, illustrated by creative partner Kinixuki, and formatted using the open-source program Twine.

To read the story, visit the official page. Click on Caithe’s portrait and follow the links through her thoughts.

6923dEN_CaitheTwitter.png

This was a very interesting story, and the relationship dynamic between Caithe and Faolain feels very real. Well done!

I think there's a slight issue with the timeline of this story, however. Caithe makes it sound like Faolain left for the Nightmare Court, then Caithe was sad but getting comfort from the Pale Tree and Ventari's Tablet, then she learned Wynne's secret which gave her a fresh wound. We saw in Season 2, however, that she is still with Faolain when encountering Wynne.

So, emotionally, an excellent piece! Lore-wise, I think it needs a small tweak!

So far all of these short stories have something that I can point to and say 'That's amazing world building'. For Rytlock it was him coming to the realization of the massive flaws in Charr society, for Zafirah it was her realizing that as imperfect as Balthazar was the actual things he taught were good and worth preserving, and for Caithe it is that...spectacular...display of how gaslighting works with Faolain.

I'v seen that, i'v seen that a lot and it's so horribly ugly when it happens, that portrayal of predatory relatiosips in and of itself puts it leagues above how Anet used to show these things previously, gold star.

Yeah, I noticed the anachronism in the story as well. Unfortunately it's not trivial to correct as the narrative around it has dependencies (to borrow some software jargon) on it. I've a feeling it's probably going to come up on Guild Chat this week though, so...

I kind of liked the other stories, but this one ... whow. I can't really put a finger on what's different, but Caithe's story, just like the final episode 5 story instance, triggered strong feelings in me like no other story in or around this game has so far.

I'm not sure if I'm looking forward to or dreading episode 6. It'll be tough for you to come up with anything that rivals the impact this story and the most recent episode have had on me.

Interesting story, such as the other two. It was a news to learn that the cold sylvari thief is basically someone looking for her other half apple.The part where Wynne said "Trust no one. Not even the commander" is unclear though (to me). Were we already the commander when Wynne revealed the sylvari's secret to Caithe?

Thanks again for these insights, I like them :) (but please, add the option to change the background, reading on the black background really hurts after a bit).

@"Urud.4925" said:Interesting story, such as the other two. It was a news to learn that the cold sylvari thief is basically someone looking for her other half apple.The part where Wynne said "Trust no one. Not even the commander" is unclear though (to me). Were we already the commander when Wynne revealed the sylvari's secret to Caithe?

Thanks again for these insights, I like them :) (but please, add the option to change the background, reading on the black background really hurts after a bit).

We didnt even know half the cast at that point, we were either not born at that point or no one worth mentioning in the grand sceme of things.

• 2 weeks later...

@Lost in Hyrule.2963 said:@"Urud.4925" I think that part isn't quoting Wynne."But then I remembered that Wynne told me we were servants of the jungle dragon. So I knew I could trust no one, not even the Commander."

Ah, it makes sense then. Thank you (sorry for the late reply, I tried to avoid the forum before completing last episode).