My suggestion for World Boss Rush 2.0

My suggestions for the next time:

• No more random rewards. Each player gets a token when they kill a World Boss
  • The token is earned only on the first kill of that day (per player, of course). So the same player wouldn't get more tokens for killing the same boss over and over on the same day
  • The elegible World Bosses would be:-- Shadow Behemoth-- Fire Elemental-- Svanir Shaman Chief-- Jungle Wurm (Caledon Forest)-- Modniir Ulgoth-- Taidha Covington-- Megadestroyer-- Golem Mark II-- Shatterer-- Claw of Jormag-- Karka Queen-- Tequatl the Sunless (gives two tokens)-- Evolved Jungle Wurm on Bloodtide Coast-- Flame Shaman-- One for each of the Orr Temples
  • Thus, at most a player could earn 20 tokens per day. In a week, that would be a maximum of 140 tokens
  • The token is a Black Lion Statuette

And this is it.

For those who want more details:

1. Why tokens?So the rewards are fair. A system based on large-scale RNG has the issue we're seeing right now - on the great majority of the time, the reward people get is trash, with a very small chance to get something actually useful. It's possible that someone who spends the entire week farming ends with a nice pile of Iron Ores, while his friend, who killed the Shadow Behemot once, gets the most expensive infusion. With a token system, players know exactly what they're doing, what they have to do, and get to choose which reward they will end with.

2. Why daily rewards?It's not possible to balance a token system that can be repeated as often as there are world bosses in a day. Either you make a single token worthless, considering how hardcore farmers are going to end with piles of them, or you give the rewards like candy. Limiting the system to daily rewards achieve ArenaNet's goal of having more people doing the content on a given day, while keeping the rewards balanced.

3. Why the changes on the list of eligible bosses?Because the Orr Temples need some love, too. They're not on a timer and they have longer pre-events, but they're well developed content that should be highlighted, not hidden away.

4. Why Black Lion Statuettes?Black Lion Statuettes are the consolation prize of the Black Lion Chests. They are a token-based reward system that is already in the game (so would require zero developer effort to be implemented), and the great majority of their rewards are account-bound, so they wouldn't mess with the in-game's economy too much. At the same time, they offer some unique rewards that cannot be earned for free in any other way, such as the account unlocks. With a maximum of 140 statuettes for playing during the entire event, a player would still be unable to get many of the rewards, but it's still enough to get some of the top items.

The idea of a token isn't bad, but it should definitely NOT be statuettes. They could be tokens made just for these kinds of events, maybe keep it as a daily reward for completing any World Boss once a day, and increasing the daily from 1 to 10 during World Boss Rush weekly events.

Then have a vendor somewhere that would trade the tokens, including rewards like:

• The bonus box we are getting now: 1 token.
  • Zhaitaffy x25: 1 token
  • Dragon Bash foods: 1 token.
  • Ascended Zealot recipes: 20 tokens & 5 laurels
  • Currency vouchers: 25 tokens.
  • A Tequatl's Hoard: 45 tokens + 3 ascended marks, 1 from each weapon discipline.
  • A box with one of the Triple trouble ascended armors: 60 tokens + 3 ascended marks, 1 from each armor discipline.
  • A statuette or a bl key: 50 tokens.
  • One of the Season 1 memory boxes: 50 tokens.

Triple Trouble would get an additional bonus, and give all participants 1 token for each head defeated.The marionette event could return, happening inside a 'fractal rift' players can enter from a rift near the remains of the marionette, and it would happen in the empty 'hardcore' time slot between the Karka Queen and Tequatl.

Black Lion Statuettes would be a fine "minimize work" token, however, I'd rather we get a new token, it's also the least restricting in terms of how to distribute it. For sake of argument, let's call this hypothetical token "World Boss Token".

What I would recommend is:

• "Easy Timer" World Bosses (1 Token; once per hour per account):
    1. Shadow Behemoth
    2. Great Jungle Wurm (Caledon Forest)
    3. Fire Elemental
    4. Frozen Maw
  • "Standard Timer" World Bosses (2 Tokens; once per hour per account):
    1. Modniir Ulgoth
    2. Admiral Taidha Covington
    3. Megadestroyer
    4. The Shatterer
    5. Claw of Jormag
    6. Golem Mark II
  • "Hardcore Timer" World Bosses (3||5 Tokens; once per hour per account):
    1. Karka Queen (3 Tokens)
    2. Tequatl (5 Tokens)
    3. Triple Trouble (5 Tokens)
  • Orr Temple World Bosses (3 Tokens; once per day per character):
    1. Temple of Balthazar
    2. Temple of Melandru
    3. Temple of Dwayna
    4. Temple of Lyssa
    5. Temple of Grenth
  • Other World Bosses (2 Tokens; once per day per character):
    1. Drakin Cinderspire (Iron Marches)
    2. Branded Devourer Queen (Iron Marches; Devouring the Brand)
    3. Risen High Wizard (Cursed Shore; Gates of Arah)
    4. Legendary Eye of Zhaitan (Straits of Devastation)
    5. Foulbear Chieftain (Fields of Ruin; Ogre Wars)
    6. Dredge Commissar (Dredgehaunt Cliffs; In Pursuit of Knowledge)
    7. Mordrem Vinewrath (The Silverwastes; Mordrem Vinewrath)
    8. Sand Giant (Dry Top; Sandstorm)

Since those on a timer have a limited number of times they can show up in a day, just restrict the amount per hour so that people don't hop map IPs to get more tokens than otherwise. Those that aren't on timers, those you'd restrict per day (or maybe less but longer than a mere hour or three).

For rewards, I'd say something along the lines of:

• Piece of Zhaitaffy x80: 1 Token
  • Blade Shard x20: 1 Token
  • Case of Sand: 2 Tokens
  • Piece of Rare Unidentified Gear: 3 Tokens
  • Essence of Luck (Exotic): 3 Tokens
  • Bonus Box of Goods: 5 Tokens
  • Black Lion Commemorative Sprocket: 5 Tokens
  • Mysterious Key Pouch: 15 Tokens
  • Toy Mini Egg: 15 Tokens
  • Black Lion Lockbreaker Kit: 25 Tokens
  • Tyrian Exchange Voucher: 25 Tokens
  • Guaranteed Wadrobe Unlock: 50 Tokens
  • Air-Filtration Device of Antitoxin (heavy/light/medium): 75 Tokens
  • Guaranteed Weapon/Armor Unlock: 75 Tokens
  • Black Lion Exclusives Chest (updated for all current non-Mount Exclusives): 100 Tokens
  • Novelty Selection Box: 100 Tokens
  • Black Lion Glider Voucher: 125 Tokens
  • Black Lion Armor Voucher (used for single armor pieces from the gemstore such as Lawless Boots): 150 Tokens
  • Black Lion Weapons Voucher: 150 Tokens
  • Black Lion Outfit Voucher: 200 Tokens
  • Black Lion Backpack and Glider Voucher: 200 Tokens
  • Black Lion Armor Set Voucher (used for full armor set from the gemstore such as Primeval Armor): 200 Tokens
  • Infusion Drop Chest (choice of 1 infusion that drops from world event (e.g., Confetti, Aurilium, Chak Egg, etc): 500 Tokens
  • Recipe: Chaos of Lyssa: 500 Tokens
  • Monocle: 500 Tokens
  • Invisible Boot Box: 500 Tokens

Or something like that. In theory, if I did my math right, even a hardcore grinder should be only able to get ~270 tokens in a single week tops. So getting things like the Infusions or Invisible Boots, the greatest rewards, would take at least two showings of this event to obtain. All items of actual desire would be account bound skins, thus zero effect on the community there, while those that would affect are the things that people would tend to get to drain out leftover tokens.

And by using items like the vouchers, those items could be used for other event rewards, so by using them there would never be a need to update this specific event or those other events either, as ArenaNet could just update the vouchers (which would on occasion show up in the gemstore anyways, just as we recently got the outfit voucher via the War Eternal Supply Drop pack).

bad idea . Why it should be if now is ok? And I think is main target look how it is lagging, and make path updates to decrease lag on wvw ...People not need 'fair' in small and short worlds boss even - they need no /less lag every day on wvw.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:I don't know....75 Tokens for something that only costs ~1 Gold seems a bit steep. (Air-Filtration Device)

Since a bonus box of goods will give a guaranteed rare unidentified gear when not giving a rare drop, then another drop, the average price of a token would be somewhere around 50 silver. For something that can be obtained from the trading post for less than 2 gold, the token cost would then be something around 5 tokens.

@Khisanth.2948 said:With 140 the only thing that would not be purchasable is the Immortal Weapon Choice which cost 150 statuettes. I doubt ANet is willing to cut into their BL key sales.

Yes its a lotBut in the other hand, it's for one week, and no one could buy out the market in one week. And it may get more people hooked to the BL rewards which may increase future sales.Consider it an investment.

Just maybe a bit less than 140 in the week.Let's say cap it at 5 or 10 per day, followed by bronze lion statuettes which can be traded for minor rewards.

(Just my 2 copper)

I'm against tokens for this kind of event. This will promote "I need to kill X more bosses" play style. ppl will show up with a hardcore farming mentality. Sure it will probably attract even more players and keep them in the game for even longer since "only 30 more bosses for item X". But it turns the thing into one more silly grind.

Why not just do it for fun and be happy for some extra lucky chests on the way? Maybe they could let the rarity of the chest contents be affected by MF as a additional touch.

Bl staturttes can be a good idea in the case that the event duration is 1 week, plus, if you have 240 bl stats, what you going to do with? Everything you buy is non-sellable and is bind to you.The only real issue there is the commmorative coin, you can earn 240g.... and materials bags. Since it would require some changes to bl stat merchant, it's better to create a new merchant.

Merchant: A skritt collecting baubles looted by world bosses.Currency: Baubles no daily capAll world bosses are done in 3Hours. So can be done 8 times per day (not sleeping/eating whatever, took extreme case)430 tokens per run, ignoring temple, vinewrath and minor bosses. (So only event timer), 3440 for the extreme guy who done it 8 times. The mean should be 1700-1900.

-15 baubles for:

Shadow BehemothFire ElementalJungle WurmFrozen MawAny minor wbs (flame shaman, comi...)

-30 baubles for:

UlgothGolem Mark IIThe DestroyerMordrem VinewrathTaidhaAny temple (melandru, grenth...)

-50 baubles for:

TequaltClaw of JormagKarka queenThe ShattererEvolved Wurm

The rewards:-Material bags: 150 baubles-tome of knowledge 300 baubles-Obsidian shards 200 baubles-Currency vaucher 800 baubles-Outfit voucher 4600 baubles-Weapon skin voucher 3000 baubles-Mount skin voucher 3800 baubles-Armor skin voucher 3500 baubles-Transmut charges 400 baubles-Bl key 4000 baubles-Monocle box 10 000 baubles-Infusion voucher 12 000 baubles

There is a fine line between a bonus reward and a reward way above everything else in the game. Currently each world boss kill, even the trivial ones in the starting areas, rewards an extra Bonus Box of Goods . When you break down the content of the box, the baseline value is (roughly approximated) around 30 silver per box (one rare unidentified plus three common crafting materials), with the average value most likely a good bit higher (due to the more valuable crafting materials in the distribution) even if you don't take rare drops into the equation.

Compared to a Black Lion Statuette with a baseline value of one gold piece (if you choose to trade it for the commemorative coin) it is a considerably lower base value, but one that I, personally, find more appropriate to most of the world bosses involved in this event (and the few that actually require more time and coordination already give their own appropriate rewards).

From my point of view, what this event seems to try to do is entice people to come together and tackle some of this game's signature content: open world multiplayer events for large groups. In addition, it offers an additional (small) faucet for some of this game's ultra-rare loot. which should work to stabilize and probably even lower the value of said loot without devaluing it completely.

Putting in a token system for gemstore-based loot, while being a decent idea in itself, would have a very different impact on this game. For one, it would favor those that prefer calculable odds instead of targeting those that enjoy the (tiny) chance of getting something ultra-rare. The game already favours the former with its loot and trading post system, so it would basically be "more of the same" instead of "throwing a bone" to those that enjoy random loot.

Another aspect is that a token system can quickly move from bonus to grind. Right now I can participate in a world boss or two, get a couple of bonus boxes, and either get some bonus loot or if I'm super lucky something really nice. With a token system, I'd have to grind world bosses to get my "something nice" result, or know from the start that I won't make it further than a participation price. While some people prefer being able to "work" towards their goal, others are in fact put off by the (perceived) grind involved to get the necessary amount of tokens, especially with a timed event restricted to only a few days.

Fun fact: I've recently played a bit of another MMO I've played on and off for several years, and once again find I'm quickly turned off by the way their events and daily systems require me to log in each day and do something specific each day to get to the worthwhile rewards that I can't get another day. In GW2 there's nothing forcing me to do anything in a specific timeframe because I can always get the desired loot another day (or year) or another way.

I've jumped into a worldboss train with some friends for an evening, had fun in voice-comm and gotten some extra yellow gear and crafting materials on top of the usual loot, and then decided that world bosses still aren't my cup of tea. Maybe I'll jump in to do one or the other boss later this week for another of those extra boxes (fully expecting to get nothing special out of it but the fun of unwrapping boxes ;) ) but free of the feeling of "wasting my time" gathering tokens that will get me nothing but a boring participation price unless I grind them fulltime.

tl;dr: To me the current bonus box is very adequate in value (both base and average) and serves a specific purpose that isn't easily doubled by other systems in game. Changing it to a token system (either reusing tokens already in game or new/generic event tokens), while being a decent system in itself, to me would put the event into danger of going from fun bonus to grind.

@Khisanth.2948 said:With 140 the only thing that would not be purchasable is the Immortal Weapon Choice which cost 150 statuettes. I doubt ANet is willing to cut into their BL key sales.

Keep in mind that:

• Most of the things offered through the statuettes are not meant as things purchased once and then never again. So it's not only possible that someone would like to buy a combination of things, they could also want to buy the same thing twice
  • 140 would be the most that people could earn if they did all bosses every day, not what the average player would end with
  • It may actually increase the sale of Black Lion Keys. After all, when the event is over and you have almost enough statuettes to get something nice, how are you going to get more of them?

I think there should have been in more in the boxes. All laurel rewards should have been potential drops in extra and super rare categories. Unid dye in common. Pact map bonus reward things. Stuff like that wouldn't affect the gemstore or blc chests but might be a nice bonus. As it is t6 mats are nice but not enough.