Opening Unidentified Gear

Ovark.2514

@"Ovark.2514" said:Why can't this be done while your character is in a PVP server? There are several bags other than this which are unopenable while in a sPVP server and have been since forever. Why isn't this fixed by now?Probably because it's not a bug, or at least, didn't start off that way

There's a huge list of stuff that doesn't get opened in PvP because (historically) bad things happened. I'd prefer if they made it 100% consistent: can't open any container in PvP.

Some of the things that go wrong include certain bound drops not triggering achievements (because some achievements trigger differently in PvP), some things not dropping at all (because they don't exist for PvP), and so on.

The most likely reason unID gear doesn't open in PvP is probably that it used to be affected by Magic Find, which can't be buffed as much in PvP areas (since food and boosters and so on don't exist). Now that unID gear no longer uses MF, it might be time to change it.

Accordingly, I'd try starting a new thread that specifically makes that request explicit, rather than hiding it in a generic title (as this thread does).For example, "Allow unID gear to be opened in PvP" and then explain why you think it should be okay now.

@"Vieux P.1238" said:Better idea..why not get rid of them? Rewards from em aint no fun surprises.

They aren't meant to be "surprises." They exist so that gear stacks, rather than clutters up inventory. It's almost exactly the same surprise|not-surprise loot we always got, taking up three inventory slots instead of potentially unlimited numbers.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@"Ovark.2514" said:Why can't this be done while your character is in a PVP server? There are several bags other than this which are unopenable while in a sPVP server and have been since forever. Why isn't this fixed by now?Probably because it's not a bug, or at least, didn't start off that way

There's a huge list of stuff that doesn't get opened in PvP because (historically) bad things happened. I'd prefer if they made it 100% consistent: can't open any container in PvP.

Some of the things that go wrong include certain bound drops not triggering achievements (because some achievements trigger differently in PvP), some things not dropping at all (because they don't exist for PvP), and so on.

The most likely reason unID gear doesn't open in PvP is probably that it used to be affected by Magic Find, which can't be buffed as much in PvP areas (since food and boosters and so on don't exist). Now that unID gear no longer uses MF, it might be time to change it.

Accordingly, I'd try starting a new thread that specifically makes that request explicit, rather than hiding it in a generic title (as this thread does).For example, "Allow unID gear to be opened in PvP" and then explain why you think it should be okay now.

@"Vieux P.1238" said:Better idea..why not get rid of them? Rewards from em aint no fun surprises.

They aren't meant to be "surprises." They exist so that gear stacks, rather than clutters up inventory. It's almost exactly the same surprise|not-surprise loot we always got, taking up three inventory slots instead of potentially unlimited numbers.

Hmm didn't know that. I would appreciate it then if Anet changed the notification received by players trying to open these types of containers to display the reasons why they are disabled. It's one of those things that caused me and surely many others to view the game as unpolished as well as that anet doesn't care about anything related to pvp. While the later is still true, I think it would behoove them to keep things from LOOKING unintentionally broken.

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

Loot we used to get was affected by MF. Recent unid gear change was a huge nerf to loot value. With bag slots maxed out, I'll take unstackable over that any day.

@kin korn karn.9023 said:@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

Loot we used to get was affected by MF. Recent unid gear change was a huge nerf to loot value. With bag slots maxed out, I'll take unstackable over that any day.

You're conflating two entirely separate mechanics.

• Stacking gear could have happened without a change to MF application
  • MF application to unID gear could remain even if all loot was converted to unID gear

There are other threads discussing why that second change needed to happen. This thread is about why unID gear isn't openable in PvP.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

You're conflating two entirely separate mechanics.
  • Stacking gear could have happened without a change to MF application
  • MF application to unID gear could remain even if all loot was converted to unID gear

There are other threads discussing why that second change needed to happen. This thread is about why unID gear isn't openable in PvP.

My comment didn't address the OP because your comment that I replied to did not either. So as for OP, yes, I find it irritating that certain things aren't openable in pvp.

I conflated two separate mechanics because the way it was done, they are a package deal. In any case, I'd rather have loot that is affected by MF, whether it's stackable or not. Where there were once was the occasional "fun surprise," there now decidedly is not.