Warrior Off-Hand . . . what do you prefer?

@"Kabuki Theatre.9752" said:Given a choice of off-hand weapon, would you prefer Torch or Shield?Or something else entirely?Why and/or why not?Thanks in advance.

you really need to give more info

what type of gameplay?what type of build?power or condi?

torch requires an expansion, shield does not..can also be a factor

the 3 "useful" offhands are for me

1) offhand axe for pve2) offhand shield for pvp/wvw3) offhand mace for pve to cc (breakbar damage)

offhands i somethimes use:

1) warhorn for pre buffing in fractal2) torch for condi raid bosses

offhands no one else use, or should use

1) offhand dagger (skill 5 is a joke)2) offhand sword (skill 4 and 5 are a joke)

@melandru.3876 said:

@"Kabuki Theatre.9752" said:Given a choice of off-hand weapon, would you prefer Torch or Shield?Or something else entirely?Why and/or why not?Thanks in advance.

1) offhand axe for pve2) offhand shield for pvp/wvw3) offhand mace for pve to cc (breakbar damage)

1) offhand dagger (skill 5 is a joke)2) offhand sword (skill 4 and 5 are a joke)

My Goodness, you really do know this stuff, don't you!Advice well taken.

For me, I'm just PVE for now. I've just recently hit 80, butI'm trying to level up training as Berserker.Need lots more hero points.So I have the torch,but also a shield.Going for finishing off personal story (book 8)and then HoT.PoF later, already did the first part to get the Raptor.Trying to decide whether the torch or the shield isbest for me right now.

The more damage you can dish out the faster enemies dieHaving less enemies remaining will mean less enemies that are attacking you, meaning you get a higher chance to live on!Axe off hand is brilliant in destroying Large groups of mobsShield is usefull to block incoming special attack from boss/champion/elite enemies in a 1 vs 1Or when your in a Squad and are trying to survive a large amount of attacks

Torch is a condition build and in pve conditions take time to affect where is your doing PVE every sec can countDagger if you need need some stuns/ccDunno about Mace, everybody is using filling core warrior so I never get the chance to try it xd

Not relevants but do check this one out, this is one of the best solo warrior build although he is using SB and Berserker just got a revamp so time will tells.

• Dual Axes is the most used combo in PvE but sometimes you can go with Shield just to get extra survival and light CC, tho the build above have access to quite a lot of dodge so i can go full dps instead.
  • Axe/Dagger + Dagger/Axe also works out pretty well together.
  • Mace for more extra CC but in solo scenarios war's utilities alone has enough CC let alone if you're in group. Although Mace + Shield brings heavy CC but with the recent change to berserker make me lose access to normal mace burst skill (skull cracker) outside of berserker mode, which i very much dislike.
  • Nothing much to say about the torch really since its essential for condi war and just that.

@Kabuki Theatre.9752 said:

@Kabuki Theatre.9752 said:Given a choice of off-hand weapon, would you prefer Torch or Shield?Or something else entirely?Why and/or why not?Thanks in advance.

My Goodness, you really do know this stuff, don't you!Advice well taken.

For me, I'm just PVE for now. I've just recently hit 80, butI'm trying to level up training as Berserker.Need lots more hero points.So I have the torch,but also a shield.Going for finishing off personal story (book 8)and then HoT.PoF later, already did the first part to get the Raptor.Trying to decide whether the torch or the shield isbest for me right now.

well the shield is a hybrid option, as in it's more utillity b(block, stun) then offense

the torch on the other hand, is an condition weapon which feels odd in power builds so ideally you want to use sword + torch (sword 2 has a leap finnisher that you can use in your own firefield created by torch)

here are some fast builds i made for you

1) the noob-friendly condi build http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vJAQNAsfTnckCdegFeAukCElilpALpEcCKgHDwAwI7N1+artA-jxhAQBT4JAYTlgA4UA0D1fgx+DuQfAIV+BA-ethe build has alot of synergies. like:

• shattering blow + headbut (shattering blow gives stability which negated the self-stun of headbutt)
  • torch 5 (create fire field) + sword 2 (leap) to give yourself a long fire aura (because we traited it)

the rampager gear can be gained from dungeons just look which gives the "stat combo" you seekhttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dungeon_Armor_and_Weapons

which would be:

^ so you can get your weapons + armor from doing these as much as you like/need

the jewels come from the living world season 3 (if you haven't allready got the living world season, it's deffo worth buying it in full price..or wait for a sale) it's so easy to get ascended jewelry from those, and the maps are allways active. 6 new maps + good story + collection for a legendary

2) the noob-friendly power build http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vJAQNAneRjMdQVHW5BeeAnIWICMlvw0LGYEAiA9M8fcR+JD-jBSBQBk7EAgC9BmRJ4VU+BgnAwGOEAwc/hbo+DA-eaxe+shield is the defensive set (shield block, condition cleanse sigil) that still packs a punch. greatsword is your meatcleaver

again great synergies like:

• using a burst skills triggers magebane tether (giving might) which fuels might makes right (heals you + endurance) so you have good solid sustain both active (more dodges) as passive (direct health gain)
  • shield 4, kick and full counter are cc (crowd control skill) which will remove a boon (if any is on target) + give attackers insight, both further increasing your damage (atatckers insight + rune of the spellbreaker)

as with the condition build your gear can be bought, or earned through dungeons (look for berserker stats)https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dungeon_Armor_and_Weapons

again, the jewels if possible from living world season 3 as there you can gain ascended pieces which are better then exotics and not hard to get.

these are very basic builds, tha when comfortable you will switch to the "superior" builds that are more fit for group-play

that means:

if you just fool around on your own in solo open world, banners can be swapped to whatever you like, for meta events or large scale open world like bosses,metas you name it having banners never hurt

there that's it, dayum took longer then i hoped it would be

@"Kabuki Theatre.9752" said:Yes, I already have the axe off hand.What I'm asking is,with the axe, is it better to havea shield,or a torchto accompany the axe?

That is is question.

I think the point you're missing is that in this game there is seldom a "best" option, just different ones, that have their own uses.

Each off-hand have different uses, if you want to use "the best" you have to constantly change out depending on the situation, which also varies depending on the rest of your build, what enemy you face, in what numbers, and sometimes of what type.

As such the best way to deal with it tends to be: "Try all of them in different situations, and get a feel for when each is useful." We can give hint and advice to situations it will be good or not, but what we can't do is say "Use this weapon, always, nothing else comes near!".

Just read what everyone said above, there are a lot of good info about where and what each weapon is useful for, and then just grab a copy of each and go out and try it. There really isn't any bigger secret than that.

@Rico.6873 said:The more damage you can dish out the faster enemies dieHaving less enemies remaining will mean less enemies that are attacking you, meaning you get a higher chance to live on!Axe off hand is brilliant in destroying Large groups of mobsShield is usefull to block incoming special attack from boss/champion/elite enemies in a 1 vs 1Or when your in a Squad and are trying to survive a large amount of attacks

Torch is a condition build and in pve conditions take time to affect where is your doing PVE every sec can countDagger if you need need some stuns/ccDunno about Mace, everybody is using filling core warrior so I never get the chance to try it xd

offhand dagger has no stuns/cc tho so that info you gave is incorrect

offhand dagger has a hard hitting skill on skill 4, which is ideally set up with a cc, or inbetween target attacks if you pay attention to target (animations)