Failing through mechanics

I just played a 100 normal mode fractals with a group of what could... at best be considered novices. Since I was running scrapper healer, it was practically failproof, but man we failed every single mechanic on Arkk. Still won because it's really difficult to mess up with scrapper healer, but that last 5% was a bit of a slog.

How about you? Any funny stories of failing through mechanics?

Ha, I have a couple.

So my static runs 2 healers for most raids, because we arn't really hardcore and just want smooth clears, first healer is druid ofc, and currently I play a heal tempest for the second healer. On conjured amalgamate we realized we screwed up shields for the clap, fortunately I had rebound. Worked like a charm, and now its our standard strat, we dont even think about having shields for the clap anymore.

Another time our group screwed up cannons at sabetha, and we screwed up north every time and ended up getting the achievement for leaving a cannon up on accident (half way through the fight we decided to do it on purpose).

Plenty of times while tanking vg as a chrono, I gor ported during my continuum split, but then the split ended and brought me back to the correct position

And of course the most recent, the time I fucked up solo healing (our druid died to a bug) the final phase of qadim cm, but we got a downstate kill: video for those interested: (youtube.com/watch?v=xzfXrtt4GLQ)

• 3 weeks later...

@thrag.9740 said:Ha, I have a couple.

So my static runs 2 healers for most raids, because we arn't really hardcore and just want smooth clears, first healer is druid ofc, and currently I play a heal tempest for the second healer. On conjured amalgamate we realized we screwed up shields for the clap, fortunately I had rebound. Worked like a charm, and now its our standard strat, we dont even think about having shields for the clap anymore.

Another time our group screwed up cannons at sabetha, and we screwed up north every time and ended up getting the achievement for leaving a cannon up on accident (half way through the fight we decided to do it on purpose).

Plenty of times while tanking vg as a chrono, I gor ported during my continuum split, but then the split ended and brought me back to the correct position

And of course the most recent, the time I kitten up solo healing (our druid died to a bug) the final phase of qadim cm, but we got a downstate kill: video for those interested: (youtube.com/watch?v=xzfXrtt4GLQ)

Just fyi druid natrue spirit works like rebound if timed correctly for the clap =)

@ButcherofMalakir.4067 said:

@Linken.6345 said:Just fyi druid natrue spirit works like rebound if timed correctly for the clap =)

Yup we've done that in the past too. Its a fun tactic too. But how could you choose spirit of nature when that amazing glyph is available kappa

Which amazing glyph? The one that has cast time as long as enrage timers? :D

How dare you diss one of their brilliant ideas, much like that oh so impactful herald true nature gimmick that instead of buffing their damage, was DPS neutral?

Probably the most frustrating one is when I solo'd the second phase of Ensolyss in CM99... on a heal renegade. You're probably wondering "hey, shouldn't you have kept the team alive on a heal renegade?" The answer is yes. But I could not. Why? Because Ensolyss has a bunch of attacks that aren't capable of being healed through... and my teammates dodged none of them. None at all. They were REALLY BAD.

1: They would actively run away from my tablet. One of them later admitted he thought that the healing tablet was an enemy attack, which is why he kept avoiding it.2: They would get knocked off of the platform every single time phase 2 started. Like, all of them.3: They would never dodge the dash attack that Ensolyss does. Ever.4: They would run around frantically in circles, whenever Ensolyss was doing anything, EXCEPT for the ground pound. The only move where running around in circles is the preferred tactic, and they wouldn't do it.5: I was half of the team's DPS. Yes, they were that bad. Also, they were somehow more frail than glass. I don't know how they accomplish this magical combination of weak and frail, but they accomplished it.6: They never used CC. I was nearly the entire team's crowd control.7: They never listened to instructions or directions. Ever. I was saying "stack on the tablet," "stay close," "jump the shockwave," "dodge after the first hit" etc over and over again.

I was at this boss for so long that I can't even remember. It was at least an hour, maybe longer. Trying over and over again. But, what would happen is this: the ENTIRE TEAM except for me would get creamed, and then I would /gg to save time. After doing this a few dozen times, I decided "forget this, I'm going to march on solo if everyone dies." Of course, at the start of phase 2, 3/5ths of the team got knocked off of the platform, and I made good on my promise. The final team member eventually got killed by the slam attack. Turns out, Heal Renegade can both tank and solo Ensolyss. It wasn't easy, since he still had all of those instant-death attacks, but I was able to heal through all of his focused autos. Also I was able to break his bar on my own, which I would then use to do most of my damage.

Then the bullet hell part came. Suffice to say, my enthusiasm for touhou videos is put to good use.

Nothing says "Failing Through Mechanics" like good old Thaumanova.

Subject 6 and Cooling Chamber - if you don't know what you are doing, you aren't getting through this fractal.

EDIT: coincidentally, a Scrapper could cheese the crap out of Cooling Chamber with Purity of Purpose + Cleansing Field / Purge Gyro.

@up thats why for thaumanova i always pick character who is capable of doing it solo. My favourite one is... herald! Most people dont even see how i did it. I can make it faster than they clear chamber with labs (where you have to destroy doors and portals) :P.

The most laught i got from... Siren's Reef. Its so easy fractal, yet so many cant understand what to do. There are 3 "fail spots". First one is "Black Peter" - here either people cant properly use canon (thats why i pick it in most times) or cant understand that mines one-shot you. I get that sometimes it might be difficult to see it, but not when there is one at the minion and someone HAVE TO jump in it.

Second fail spot is... labyrint. Here few people dont understand tresure debuff or (most common) dont know how to deal with ghosts. First rule : try to avoid them. If you can - bait them to "safe spot", then kill. People either ignore them all the way until they die, or simple stand and fight back in the middle of the corridor spawning 2-3 groups of ghost in the time when they kill one group.

Last fail spot is also last boss. He simple get only 3 mechanics. First one - ALL at green. For whatever reason few people time after time going away not letting anyone get into circle. Even after explainations :(. Second mechanic is opposite - red circle mean "go away". How many times you get that "bomb" under boss killing everyone or forcing to stop the fight and wait? I get plenty of it.

Third one is the best - wind. Why i think people dont see pattern in that skill? Sure, you cant dodge every single one... but you dont have to. Its pretty easy to predict where will be next one. I cant count how many parties failed on this and even break xD.

With this fractal i have simple strategy : 3 tries. When i see with each one there is progress i might stay. But when every single attempt fail before we get boss out of half hp then bye bye. Back in the days i stuck in parties where we repeat it time after time and now im sick of it a little :P

Once in a PUG group taking on VG, there was a big Charr with a huge Twilight, face tanking and swinging the GS like crazy—making everyone within melee of VG miss those blue teleport orbs because of the swords animations, thus teleporting everyone away constantly xD We beat it either way though. :)