Swipe should have its own subset of stolen skills

Creaitov.6328

I'll be honest here, the change to swipe not only was a huge nerf but it also was pretty half-assed seems like it had little to no effort or thought put into it.*

Deadeye's mark steals a part of the enemy's soul (or something like that) and that in turn changes not only the steal skill but also the stolen skills themselves. With this in mind, I think that daredevil as a brawler should have the stolen skills change so they represent that they're skilled fighters, willing to steal and adapt the enemy combat techniques, rather than just being a common thief focused on stealing shinies. Also in order to stay in melee these stolen skills should help with defense/sustain in some way as well.

As for stolen skill ideas, I'll throw some random ones here: warrior gives you a 2s block, necro gives you a lifesteal attack, mesmer gives you a "shatter" small aoe blind, ranger gives you a trap with immob, thief gives you a fancy leap with evade frames, etc.

It shouldn't be that hard. And if it is, then the change could've waited until another balance update so we get a proper tradeoff instead of just a worse steal that happens to be unblockable (which isn't that good of a bonus anyways).

@"Creaitov.6328" said:I'll be honest here, the change to swipe not only was a huge nerf but it also was pretty kitten seems like it had little to no effort or thought put into it.*

Deadeye's mark steals a part of the enemy's soul (or something like that) and that in turn changes not only the steal skill but also the stolen skills themselves. With this in mind, I think that daredevil as a brawler should have the stolen skills change so they represent that they're skilled fighters, willing to steal and adapt the enemy combat techniques, rather than just being a common thief focused on stealing shinies. Also in order to stay in melee these stolen skills should help with defense/sustain in some way as well.

As for stolen skill ideas, I'll throw some random ones here: warrior gives you a 2s block, necro gives you a lifesteal attack, mesmer gives you a "shatter" small aoe blind, ranger gives you a trap with immob, thief gives you a fancy leap with evade frames, etc.

It shouldn't be that hard. And if it is, then the change could've waited until another balance update so we get a proper tradeoff instead of just a worse steal that happens to be unblockable (which isn't that good of a bonus anyways).

I don't think it is "a must" to have it's own stolen category, however I also think it would be worth trying/having anyway.Beside that, I would strongly advise against getting "skills" (thief leap, necro life steal, etc) but rather stick with Items just as the original steal. Only get different items with different effects.I also think that stolen skills/items such as Mace Head Crack or Whirling Axe of core steal are already somewhat fitting for DDs supposed "brawler" style.

This is actually what is needed. Turk is 100% right in the thinking that it was a lazy change that was nothing but a 50% nerf to steal and a massive hit to thief build diversity. If they opted to add in new skills that could be knockdowns etc that would help fit the image.

Lazy it was. I'm glad their trying to change things up as that's definitely a good thing but when it comes to thief their heavy on nerfs and to conservative on buffs,almost like they let the community steer their design. They need to be less conservative with thief buffs if they want DD to be a truly viable brawler,is some things are orphan shave it later like scrapper. Better than having a disappointment of a spec,like it is now

@Alatar.7364 said:

@"Creaitov.6328" said:I'll be honest here, the change to swipe not only was a huge nerf but it also
was pretty kitten
seems like it had little to no effort or thought put into it
.*

I don't think it is "a must" to have it's own stolen category, however I also think it would be worth trying/having anyway.Beside that, I would strongly advise
against
getting
"skills"
(thief leap, necro life steal, etc)
but rather stick with Items just as the original steal. Only get different items with different effects.I also think that stolen skills/items such as
Mace Head Crack
or
Whirling Axe
of core steal are already somewhat fitting for DDs supposed "brawler" style.

Yeah I understand that. There is nothing wrong with core thief stolen skills, in fact most of them are already pretty good, but besides those you mention they don't really fit the brawler theme or playstyle.

On another note, after looking a little bit more at the different steal-related traits, its pretty hard to come up with a good way to make the steal part of swipe unique compared to core thief. Steal becomes so bloated when traited to the point the only unique thing I can think of is to give swipe evade frames, but I'm not sure how good/bad it would be for the spec balance. Either that or make endurance thief a part of swipe while giving daredevil a new minor grandmaster trait that is worth the loss of 50% range on steal.

Swipe should steal things that give you sustain since Daredevil is not a "brawler" or "bruiser" at all and completely lacks the sustain to go toe-toe in PvP or PvE. It's a glass cannon DPS in PvE and not very good at anything in PvP. My 11k hp full berserker Dragonhunter is tankier in PvE with much more sustain than my full marauder daredevil with 17k hp.

I wish the devs understood that Daredevil already had a trade off - you couldn't take a base thief talent tree over daredevil which is a very underwhelming PvP talent tree ;/