What single major change would you like to see for Necro?

Akrasia.5469

I know everyone talks about overall issues like sustain, mobility, damage etc.. I also have read some elaborate overhauls to the necro class. I think most overhauls are probably far fetched. The devs may implement some changes but a complete top to bottom fix is unlikely unless it's for all classes. Thus I want to know what single major change would you like to see. It can be 1 skill or trait or 1 condition exchanged for another etc.

As a Reaper main I'd like to see Deathly Chill restored to its former glory. My ideal version would be accomplished by changing 2 stacks of bleeding to 1 stack of fire & 1 stack of torment. Is this OP? I think it would make the trait better and fit much more thematically to extreme cold. The biggest issue people had with the move to bleeding was that with all the condi cleanse in the game a slow damage dealer like bleeding is easily removed before full damage. Even if not removed it tics so slowly that with health management or regeneration it can just be healed through.

Like my change? What's yours?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Akrasia.5469 said:I know everyone talks about overall issues like sustain, mobility, damage etc.. I also have read some elaborate overhauls to the necro class. I think most overhauls are probably far fetched. The devs may implement some changes but a complete top to bottom fix is unlikely unless it's for all classes. Thus I want to know what single major change would you like to see. It can be 1 skill or trait or 1 condition exchanged for another etc.

As a Reaper main I'd like to see Deathly Chill restored to its former glory. My ideal version would be accomplished by changing 2 stacks of bleeding to 1 stack of fire & 1 stack of torment. Is this OP? I think it would make the trait better and fit much more thematically to extreme cold. The biggest issue people had with the move to bleeding was that with all the condi cleanse in the game a slow damage dealer like bleeding is easily removed before full damage. Even if not removed it tics so slowly that with health management or regeneration it can just be healed through.

Like my change? What's yours?

Yes is overpowered, 1 stack of fire is roughly 3 bleed stacks and 1 torment is roughly 1 bleed. So this just doubled the damage on deathly chill and made it harder to cleanse.

Personally in terms of major change for me is really just reworking death magic.

A smaller change would be a damage bump on well of corruption or at least tweak other wells so burst damage goes up but not overall damage.

I don’t think fire fits with the necro theme. Chill, bleeding, poison or vulnerability seem more in line.

Personally, I’m happy with necro as is although if I could have one thing changed, it would be for damage not to carry over from shroud.

@Thornwolf.9721 said:

1. Staff overhaul/rework
  2. Minion Rework/overhaul
  3. Curses and hex's be brought back from guild wars 1
  4. Ritualist Elite spec.

People are not getting the 1 major change concept I'm asking here. Not asking about overhauls or new elite specs. There are a LOT of posts on here about that. I'm saying 1 major trait or skill that you'd like to see change. Instead of a full staff rework, I'd say I'd like Staff 1 to have an attack chain that also includes a knockback on the 3rd hit. (Just made that up off the top of my head) OR you could say I'd like staff 1 to have 1/4 sec cast time for more LF regen.. etc. Thanks for posting.

@Warscythes.9307 said:

Yes is overpowered, 1 stack of fire is roughly 3 bleed stacks and 1 torment is roughly 1 bleed. So this just doubled the damage on deathly chill and made it harder to cleanse.

It may be overpowered but bleed it so weak. The old Deathly Chill was a new condition (so harder to cleanse) and did higher damage. Fire is the closest to what the old trait was so I'd be ok with it just being 1 stack of fire. Fire is only 3x because the damage is done in a shorter duration. On paper bleed is about the same overall damage and it stacks higher. The key is cleanse. Fire is much less likely to be cleansed before decent damage sets in, not even great damage .. just decent.

A smaller change would be a damage bump on well of corruption or at least tweak other wells so burst damage goes up but not overall damage.

Sounds good

@VDAC.2137 said:I don’t think fire fits with the necro theme. Chill, bleeding, poison or vulnerability seem more in line.

Personally, I’m happy with necro as is although if I could have one thing changed, it would be for damage not to carry over from shroud.

Fire works for Necro if you think demonic more than zombie. Think of Ghost Rider as sick ass Reaper. Spawn could be thought of as a necro as well.

Swap weapons skills around a bit to fix staff and open more possibilities for Life Force generation with other weapons through the Soul Marks trait.

Staff

1. Necrotic Grasp
  2. Mark of Blood
  3. Chillblains
  4. Deathly Swarm - From Dagger OH
  5. Enfeebling Blood - From Dagger OH

Dagger Off-hand

1. Putrid Mark
  2. Reaper's Mark

With this change, Staff gets some more interactive gameplay and stronger Condition Damage game while still retaining a focus on Marks with the low-CD spammable ones. It also retains its Condition Cleansing utility with Deathly Swarm but trades its CC for more Bleeds, Weakness and Boon Corruption.

Off-hand Dagger will now offer up more to Power-based builds while still retaining enough Utility to be interesting to Condition Builds. Now allows players to make some use of Soul Marks without being pidgeon-holed into playing staff for LF generation and grants them access to Fear to combo with Axe (Dread trait) or Scepter (Terror trait).

If I had to choose a single one... I'd add to beyond the veil a leap finisher when leaving shroud and modify the prot so that it's given to allies instead of minions.

Otherwise, there is plenty of minor or major change that I'd want to see but you got to choose a single one, that's the rule :)

@Akrasia.5469 said:

It may be overpowered but bleed it so weak. The old Deathly Chill was a new condition (so harder to cleanse) and did higher damage. Fire is the closest to what the old trait was so I'd be ok with it just being 1 stack of fire. Fire is only 3x because the damage is done in a shorter duration. On paper bleed is about the same overall damage and it stacks higher. The key is cleanse. Fire is much less likely to be cleansed before decent damage sets in, not even great damage .. just decent.

Sounds good

Duration doesn't matter much in PvP unless is drastically lower. Trying to design things based on theme is fine, trying to balance the game on it is not. Even at 1 burning it would be still overpowered because it is still stronger than 3 bleed stacks mathematically and that was deathly chill prenerf. You would have to dramatically decrease the duration for this to work.

Also you are talking about 2 stacks of bleed, that's in PvE. PvP/WvW only has 1 stack of bleed. Now imagine tripling it.

I'll repost the changes to Staff I mentioned in another thread, along changes that would come with it to make the staff changes work and make staff a more support-oriented weapon that goes well with Blood Magic and dagger+warhorn as the other weapon set:

Personally, I would prefer if marks were spread among different weapons like Guardian symbols, and that marks and traps got a flip-over skill to trigger them on demand so they can be used against world bosses and objects, since those do not trigger marks and traps.

• Marks:

• Marks are now on every main hand and 2h weapon instead on staff only. Each weapon gets only 1 mark.
    • Now marks flip over to a skill to activate the mark manually. Marks triggered manually take longer to recharge.
  • Soul Marks: This trait still makes Marks unblockable. Increase life force from marks to 15%.

• Blood Bond renamed Vampiric Bond

• Instead casting lesser Signet of Vampirism, now it heals allies around an enemy when you steal life from them (1s cooldown)
    • Also replaces Necrotip Grasp with Vampiric Grasp, that deals more damage, bleeding for 6s and steals life from bleeding enemies.
  • Staff:

• Necrotic Grasp
    • Mark of Blood renamed Path of Blood
      • No longer a mark, now it's a cascading AoE with 600 range l like Legendary Dwarf stance's Inspiring Reinforcement, but starting at target enemy, so there won't be hits between caster and target like with revenant hammer 2 Coalescence of Ruin.
      • Still gives regen.
      • Increase bleeding stacks to 4 and damage by 15%.
    • Chilblains
      • No longer a mark, now it's a pulsing Poison Field AoE.
      • Each pulse deals damage and poison. Bleeding enemies receive more stacks of poison.
      • First pulse deals chilled.
      • Last pulse removes 2 boons.
      • Inflicts self-poison, 2 stacks for short duration, like 4 seconds.
    • Putrid Mark renamed Plague Sending
      • No longer a mark. Still a single strike blast that deals damage and transfers conditions.
    • Reaper's Mark renamed Mark of Fear
      • Effects would be unchanged, and remains as the Mark for Staff.
  • Scepter - Grasping Dead renamed Mark of Undead and converted into a mark. Same effects otherwise.

• Axe - Unholy Feast renamed Unholy Mark and converted into a mark. Same effects otherwise.

• Dagger - Dark Pact renamed Dark Pact Mark (say that 3 times fast) and converted into a Mark. Bleeds self on cast, not on mark trigger. Same effects otherwise.

• Spear - Deadly Catch renamed Deadly Mark and converted into a mark. When triggered, it pulls enemies to the mark location instead self. Same effects otherwise.

• Trident - Feast renamed Mark of Hunger. Same effects on trigger.

• Greatsword - Nightfall renamed Mark of Nightfall and converted into a mark. Same effects otherwise.

Scourge won't get a mark in torch since marks would be in the main hand weapon for 1h weapons.

Single major change: Complete Rework to focus more on necromantic things like Lifesteal and death and not "Oh, those boons you had, I could have stripped them really quickly but i'll slowly turn them into conditions so you can cleanse them one at a time"

I want a complete rework of the Death Shroud.

Ever since the Reaper came out, the Death Shroud felt like a worst iteration of the Reaper's Shroud, it's worst at power and condition damage, and not really unique enough. Even without the comparison the Death Shroud is too slow and some of the skills are really clunky to use, such as Dark Path.

I really like the idea behind Tainted Shackles, I think they should push the idea further so the Death Shroud is about binding yourself to your opponents, so all the skills of the Death Shroud would affect bound enemies, and the skill to bound would work on an ammo basis, and then you can play with sharing conditions with your foes and taking their boons, sort of like a parasite.

Additionally I would make Plaguelands and Corrosive Poison Cloud grow in size similarly to Nightfall, and adjust some numbers in accordance.