Requiem: Caithe - thoughts and feelings?

Cerioth.7062

Felt like a missed opportunity. I already pretty well knew or could have guessed she had a messed-up, psychologically abusive relationship with Faolain. I would have been interested to know how she was processing her transformation in light of everything that happened. Is she just Caithe, with an Aurene infusion in her armor? Or is she different somehow? Did being branded alter her connection to the Pale Tree? We've already had some deep dives on Sylvari lore in LS, there isn't much else to be learned from it.

I wasn't expecting much from Caithe's story; all of them followed the same model of being heavily about the past, instead of talking much about the present, and we have already seen Caithe's past over and over (and over and over) again.

The most interesting thing was seeing how the "present" is a few days after Aurene's death, not immediatelty after. I wonder if they are going to show how the Commander was mourning.

@Erasculio.2914 said:I wasn't expecting much from Caithe's story; all of them followed the same model of being heavily about the past, instead of talking much about the present, and we have already seen Caithe's past over and over (and over and over) again.

The fact we actually know Caithe's past is why I was hoping it'd be about more modern times. Zafirah and Rytlock, we didn't know their past.

@Randulf.7614 said:

@Zalani.9827 said:I liked getting some more depth into Caithe a side of things in the past, I’ve always been a little curious about that as a sylvari fan.

Apparently the commander has disappeared, I wonder if that’s going to be important next episode.

Once the Commander has finished venting on every major boss in mainland Tyria via a timeloop, they'll reappearLol it’s either that or they disappeared into the happy-fun world of Super Adventure Box, never to be seen again.
Until Moto kicks them out.

I thought it was pretty good. It's definitely the weaker story of the bunch but it does add a lot of extra depth to Caithe's past and really works to 'humanize' Caithe. She's a very loving and emotional person under her stoic visage and while a lot of us suspected as much it's good we got a solid look into that side of her.

I also like how at the end it offers a kind of third person look at the Commander. We've kind of gone afar and fallen silent. I feel like @Konig Des Todes.2086 said, we'll come back and concoct a plan but we'll be angry and grief-stricken. We'll be a bit reckless, a little too unconcerned for our own safety. Maybe our guildies end up bringing us back out of our head before we end up getting ourselves killed.

My bets on Braham being the guy that does this... if it pans out like that. I'm just thinking out loud.

@CETheLucid.3964 said:We'll be a bit reckless, a little too unconcerned for our own safety. Maybe our guildies end up bringing us back out of our head before we end up getting ourselves killed.

My bets on Braham being the guy that does this... if it pans out like that. I'm just thinking out loud.

That sounds like Tony Stark in his drunken stupor and the Avengers (guildies) bringing him back. Instead of Captain America, you used Braham. That would be some boring cliché if they take that path.

We need the writers to be creative and not rehash or retell existing stories.

I actually think it provided an essential piece of Caithe's motivation that'd been missing up to this point. For the last 4+ years, everything Caithe has done has revolved around Aurene, but except for some vague references to a Wyld Hunt and the PC not letting her get involved with anything else, she's never had a reason of her own to do so. The first instance of E5 gave her a better stake, but it still needed a better fleshing out, particularly since she's not a very expressive character. (And it also answers why she ever loved Faolain to begin with, which was a frequently asked question after the flashbacks in S2. I just don't know how many people still care enough four and a half years later to still be asking.)

Like with Rytlock and Zafirah, though, the test is going to be what happens next. If these three character arcs just go right back on the shelf for another couple years, then all the Requiem stories will really be is a neat marketing gimmick, and we've had plenty of those in the past.

@Sir Vincent III.1286 said:

@CETheLucid.3964 said:We'll be a bit reckless, a little too unconcerned for our own safety. Maybe our guildies end up bringing us back out of our head before we end up getting ourselves killed.

That sounds like Tony Stark in his drunken stupor and the Avengers (guildies) bringing him back. Instead of Captain America, you used Braham. That would be some boring
cliché
if they take that path.

You would know. Not too long ago it was Braham who was hurt and acting out. It'd make sense he'd end up being the guy to confront us about acting out in grief. It's a fairly common trope. It's not exclusive to the Avengers.

The story told us nothing new.They only made the relationship between faolain and caithe less interesting. Instead of telling a story how faolain became evil, she was evil from the start.There was a lot of nightmare court lore (and sylvari lore in general) missing in HoT, but they missed again another opportunity to give it to us.

I liked the other two stories way more.

@CETheLucid.3964 said:

That sounds like Tony Stark in his drunken stupor and the Avengers (guildies) bringing him back. Instead of Captain America, you used Braham. That would be some boring
cliché
if they take that path.

You would know. Not too long ago it was Braham who was hurt and acting out. It'd make sense he'd end up being the guy to confront us about acting out in grief. It's a fairly common trope. It's not exclusive to the Avengers.

Ah yes, "common" a.k.a. cliché .

I still have faith that the writer team can be creative.

@Sir Vincent III.1286 said:

cliché
if they take that path.

Ah yes, "common" a.k.a.
cliché
.You must be fun at movie night.

I still have faith that the writer team can be creative.We agree on that much.

@CETheLucid.3964 said:

cliché
if they take that path.

Ah yes, "common" a.k.a.
cliché
.You must be fun at movie night.

I still have faith that the writer team can be creative.We agree on that much.

And I'm glad that they didn't take the cliché path.