How to Ele in WvW?

I am interested in Ele and am primarily focused on WvW. I typically play solo, either roaming or PUG grouping. I really like the fluid gameplay and high APM of the Ele, but one and only one feature has really turned me off for WvW: the range dilemma.

If I get caught in a 1v1 (as can happen when roaming), the Staff is highly non-optimal.If I join an improv group, getting into melee range or near melee range (sword or dagger) in group vs group combat is also highly non-optimal.I guess I could play scepter, but I'm not really interested in it (I mostly prefer dagger, sword (weaver), and staff).

I have tried Conjures to help slot in for combat ranges unavailable on my weapon, but haven't had much success.I could try weapon swapping OOC, but that sounds very clunky and I don't want to need to resort to that.I guess I could also try to like scepter too.

Are there any other options? If you play Ele in mixed roaming/group WvW, how do you handle the range dilemma?

As an Ele main I can’t wait for those build templates to get released. Different setups for different encounters may make ele more fun in WvW when it comes to these mixed situations. I’m no stranger to swapping weapons ooc in PvE, heck its even making it more fun and focused. But swapping all gear and traits between encounters is just to overwhelming. I really hope those build templates makes it quick and easy.

EDIT: Not to as much help I guess, sry about that. But the state for Ele is currently as stated above.

@Lillbryschan.3281 said:As an Ele main I can’t wait for those build templates to get released. Different setups for different encounters may make ele more fun in WvW when it comes to these mixed situations. I’m no stranger to swapping weapons ooc in PvE, heck its even making it more fun and focused. But swapping all gear and traits between encounters is just to overwhelming. I really hope those build templates makes it quick and easy.

EDIT: Not to as much help I guess, sry about that. But the state for Ele is currently as stated above.

You can get templates with arcdps, they are pretty useful.

@steki.1478 said:

@Lillbryschan.3281 said:As an Ele main I can’t wait for those build templates to get released. Different setups for different encounters may make ele more fun in WvW when it comes to these mixed situations. I’m no stranger to swapping weapons ooc in PvE, heck its even making it more fun and focused. But swapping all gear and traits between encounters is just to overwhelming. I really hope those build templates makes it quick and easy.

Yeah, I know. But I read there might be a risk of equipment being deleted using it so I got to chary to try.

Thing is here; Ele has no all round build that suits many situations. Each weapon and utility pick has already gear stats of its own, which is why I have over 5 different gear sets in my inventory till I get the leggy armor. The only build that might suit such statement to an extent is Full Minstrel Tempest as a Zerg or small roaming groups support.

Due to constant build swapping, I sometimes let it be and just engage with whichever build is set.

@Lillbryschan.3281 said:

Yeah, I know. But I read there might be a risk of equipment being deleted using it so I got to chary to try.

There's no risk, I've never heard about anyone's gear getting deleted and I've been using it with legendary gear since it got developed.

@steki.1478 said:

There's no risk, I've never heard about anyone's gear getting deleted and I've been using it with legendary gear since it got developed.

Me too

@steki.1478 said:

Ok. I guess I’ll check it out then :)

@Auburner.6945 said:Thing is here; Ele has no all round build that suits many situations. Each weapon and utility pick has already gear stats of its own, which is why I have over 5 different gear sets in my inventory till I get the leggy armor. The only build that might suit such statement to an extent is Full Minstrel Tempest as a Zerg or small roaming groups support.

Due to constant build swapping, I sometimes let it be and just engage with whichever build is set.

Yeah. Same here. I have 4 different ascended gear sets in my inventory and all weapons there is for Ele. Even multiples of some of them for different stats and Sigils. Legendary staff, sword and dagger as yet, working towards legendary armor then even more leg weapons—focus being the next up I think.

^We need to ask anet for fixes and as a reward make conjure weapons more fluids and with unlimited charges or have its attack or condi power or grow dramatically as you reach closer to the end of the charge./ Or you can just release cute bunny minis in the gem store. for me to purchase with money. Make me some bunnies if you won't fix these issue. Throws wallet!

PS bunny finishers would be great. Make lots of them being happy and hopping if possible.

High rank PvP ele speaking hereAs weaver you want to hold in your inventory sword/dagger and staff. Preferably also two different armor sets, one for roaming and one for zerging, but it's long term plan. Remember, roaming build (with eq) swapped from s/d to staff will be working in zergs (just with less damage), but zerging build (with eq) wont be working in roaming.

Sw/d is good on 1v1s, 1vX depending on enemy classes but if you dont burn your gap closer CDs randomly you should always be available to run away just in case. In small group fights (~10v10 for example), skilled weaver will shine with its fields and AoE damage. You have access to good amount of dodges, make use of them, draw enemy attention, make them burn their spikes while dealing moderate damage, then disengage depending on how you engaged (if you engaged with Flash, then disengage with air 2 or air 4, try not to use all of those skills because otherwise you will be probably dead after rotating through all attunements).In bigger fights sw/d is not recommended, you really need to know what youre doing and when you can spike enemy backline. You aint mes/teef who can disengage anytime so you need to watch enemy commander moves.Personally i wouldnt recommend scepter for bigger fights, even small fights can be painful, but overall roaming works.And staff...just dont pick it while roaming, you can troll with it, but probably wont kill anyone using brain cells properly. Zerging is fine here.

As above^, engi (holo) is just better version of weaver, almost in everything. Outdamages, outranges, outheals (without healing power). Fun & entertaining.

Ele needs lots of practice to be decent in both roaming and zerging, and even after mastering it to perfection, many times you just wont be as good as other classes (bit ungrateful class). But it gives fun.

@"Dahir.4158" said:

Me too

There was a point where arcdps was deleting people's runes and sigils

@Mini Crinny.6190 said:

@"Dahir.4158" said:

Me too

No there wasn't. I only saw one post about that and it turned out to be not related to arcdps at all.

@steki.1478 said:

@"Dahir.4158" said:

Me too

No there wasn't. I only saw one post about that and it turned out to be not related to arcdps at all.

oh rip me, I saw the reddit post so i just deleted arcdps until someone in my guild said it had been fixed lol

After playing "Ele only" for years in WvW, my best advice for playing the class is to switch to Revenant. And that is sadly not a joke.

Ele is a great and fun class, but hard to play properly in WvW and requiring a lot of positioning to survive and do well. And once in a blue moon you can even kill half a zerg with a well placed AoE combo - if it isn't a good zerg. To do comparable damage to other classes you need to not go too far into the defense, while playing the class with least defense overall. For zerging I played with Marauder/Berserker, a bit more glassy than the recommended Vabbi build, taking Air instead of Arcane traits. For roaming I went with Sword/Dagger Weaver.

The main problems with playing staff weaver in zergs is just how ungodly squishy you are. Standing in the wrong place, you will be on the ground before you realize it. That fact is not helped by the few defensive spells, which have long cooldowns as well, and it's made worse by your primary damage spell, meteor shower, requiring you to stay still for a long time until its cast finishes (lightning flash comes in handy here! Use it!). Overall most staff spells are somewhat slow to use and make coordination, with both yours and the enemy's zerg, quite difficult at times. Positioning was always my key to success and despite being on the squishiest class there is, I usually ended up as one of the last people standing due to careful play - but if you are overly careful you won't be doing much damage either. And that's another thing; due to how "sluggish" some skills handle and how you need to be so careful of where you stand and all, you will, with a good zerg, often lag behind, not getting much done before the enemy zerg is already wiped. With the low HP and defenses it's unlikely for you to be able to push with a zerg without getting killed halfway through the push, those 15-18k HP are gone in a blink of an eye once your defenses run out. And people know that you are an easy target, rangers, thieves, warriors, revs, ... they will focus you when they see you and they hit hard, at times one-hitting you for a juicy 20+k damage.I had my most successful fights on open ground, where positioning is easier. Placing meteor showers and such in the predicted path of the enemy's zerg or raining down fireballs and dropping lava fonts from a secure location. You need to be quick and learn how the zergs move, you don't have much room for mistakes and the ways of fixing those mistakes are often on long cooldowns. Mistform may be nice, but it's quite limited. Defensive fights, where the enemy fails at lighting up the walls are also great fun as an Ele, remember that your Fireball travels in an arc, does explode, causing damage to multiple targets and can hit beyond its 1.2k range due to that explosion when it hits, even through thin structure/terrain parts! Use it! Meteor shower is also one of the very few ways of clearing some of the "better placed" siege off the walls, just make sure you have someone near to protect and/or revive you.Don't get me wrong, I always loved the amount of tools available to Eles, all the different AoE fields on Staff, the thrill of dropping that perfect meteor on the enemies and all. It's just that other classes do it better, with less risk, with more versatility even. Ele is very complex in that you need to know which attunement to switch to to get the spells the situation requires, this is especially important as a weaver. Getting a feel for those cooldowns will be the deciding factor for how well you do and can be a lifesaver in sticky situations. Learn how the spells handle, learn where you can teleport to (structures are very teleport unfriendly at times!). Yes, you can make a difference as an Ele in a zerg, you can be the one placing down that AoE combo that finally breaks the enemy zerg, but usually you are just looking for a cozy place to stand where the ground isn't all red and painful. Usually you will just hope your fireball flies out before the enemy is dead or out of range. Usually you will just hope your meteor shower was placed correctly, begging for the enemy to not switch direction in the last moment. Usually you will just hope to get revived because a ranger, thief, warrior, mesmer ... anyone ... "focussed" you down while you were positioning yourself for that perfect shower of firey goodness and you had to vapor form back to the swarm.

As I wrote, for roaming I go with Sword/Dagger Weaver. One of Cello's old builds, a bit modified by now probably, don't remember. Good sustain, decent enough damage to take out the non-sustain focussed roamers. Comparable to other classes? Well, it does ok. It depends a lot on yours and the enemy's skill in the end. 1v1 fights can drag out at times, 1vX I don't recommend, but then again, I was never a very good roamer to be honest. Others might do wonders with this class, I was usually happy to win a few fights. Pick them carefully. Even with the mobility you have, often I had enemies run away whenever they realized they couldn't beat me - I never felt like the class has the long range mobility to keep up with some classes, which just have so much more at their disposal to disengage. (A ton of fun to play in open world and story though, where pure damage Ele is just a pain to play...makes me wonder if there's any place where staff Ele is actual non-constant-death fun to play anymore...)

And all of that takes me to the decision I made during the no-downed-state event week:After playing only Ele for so long I finally decided that I had enough, that I wanted to see whether other classes are as painful to play - and went with the Revenant.My opinion? Day and night. Rev plays so much easier, so much less squishy, and still does as much damage. Especially because you can stay with the zerg, because you can survive a push, you don't have to wait ages for your cooldowns, your attacks aren't the slowest thing on earth, and you even give some support to your allies. Sure, coalescence of ruin bugs out on anything that isn't as flat as ... you know ... flat, and it does handle a bit weirdly at times, but it's still a great "fire and forget" spell: turn to enemy, fire it, continue doing other stuff. Sure, it is somewhat bland going from having tons of spells and mechanics to remember to something so much simpler to use, but at least this class "works". It feels and actually is capable. It handles much better and just overall appears much better suited for WvW.I haven't looked into a proper roaming build for Rev yet though, so far I just "roamed" with my zerg build, as long as I wasn't alone that did well enough. Just don't expect to win a 1v1 with it, I guess.

The elementalist is broken. And not in a good way. While all classes' damage was more or less equalized, Anet seems to have forgotten that the drawback for more damage came with less defenses for the Ele. Nowadays the Ele has neither in WvW. The damage is limited by how sluggish the class handles and how careful you have to be, by how much damage you lose when you aren't going full glass cannon.At the same time I think Ele is the most balanced class. This may sound weird, but my point is, it's not that Ele does too little damage: others just do too much for what they are capable of. I'm not asking for more damage on the elementalist. I'm asking for making the class handle less like razor blades wrapped in wet tissue paper. This is not just a problem in WvW. With the difficulty increase of open world and story content since HoT, playing damage focussed staff Ele has become a painful experience. It is such a static, non-mobile class, that the new mobs with all their abilities make doing the story for example at times nigh impossible. This is of course where my roaming build shines, but often the lack of damage on that turns the fights into a tedium.

Besides ...I literally DIED TO RETALIATION during the no-downed state event almost every time I put down a well placed meteor shower, how is that not broken!?Not once has retaliation been a threat to me while playing revenant, I totally forgot about it, actually.

So yeah, I recommend you to NOT play the class, unless you insanely love it, enjoy a challenge with little more reward than other classes offer, want to see all siege on walls burn in a rain of fire or are just plain masochistic...or want to do a detailed pedological study of the WvW battlefields, I mean, that dirt looks mighty fine, wouldn't you say? So soft and fertile...

(I cannot (!) comment on tempest healer. The above text is mainly about staff weaver. From my experience of fighting against tempest healer, I would say they are decent, but not topnotch.)

@"Syrus.2174" said:After playing "Ele only" for years in WvW, my best advice for playing the class is to switch to Revenant. And that is sadly not a joke.

Ele is a great and fun class, but hard to play properly in WvW and requiring a lot of positioning to survive and do well. And once in a blue moon you can even kill half a zerg with a well placed AoE combo - if it isn't a good zerg. To do comparable damage to other classes you need to not go too far into the defense, while playing the class with least defense overall. For zerging I played with Marauder/Berserker, a bit more glassy than the recommended Vabbi build, taking Air instead of Arcane traits. For roaming I went with Sword/Dagger Weaver.

The main problems with playing staff weaver in zergs is just how ungodly squishy you are. Standing in the wrong place, you will be on the ground before you realize it. That fact is not helped by the few defensive spells, which have long cooldowns as well, and it's made worse by your primary damage spell, meteor shower, requiring you to stay still for a long time until its cast finishes (lightning flash comes in handy here! Use it!). Overall most staff spells are somewhat slow to use and make coordination, with both yours and the enemy's zerg, quite difficult at times. Positioning was always my key to success and despite being on the squishiest class there is, I usually ended up as one of the last people standing due to careful play - but if you are overly careful you won't be doing much damage either. And that's another thing; due to how "sluggish" some skills handle and how you need to be so careful of where you stand and all, you will, with a good zerg, often lag behind, not getting much done before the enemy zerg is already wiped. With the low HP and defenses it's unlikely for you to be able to push with a zerg without getting killed halfway through the push, those 15-18k HP are gone in a blink of an eye once your defenses run out. And people know that you are an easy target, rangers, thieves, warriors, revs, ... they will focus you when they see you and they hit hard, at times one-hitting you for a juicy 20+k damage.I had my most successful fights on open ground, where positioning is easier. Placing meteor showers and such in the predicted path of the enemy's zerg or raining down fireballs and dropping lava fonts from a secure location. You need to be quick and learn how the zergs move, you don't have much room for mistakes and the ways of fixing those mistakes are often on long cooldowns. Mistform may be nice, but it's quite limited. Defensive fights, where the enemy fails at lighting up the walls are also great fun as an Ele, remember that your Fireball travels in an arc, does explode, causing damage to multiple targets and can hit beyond its 1.2k range due to that explosion when it hits, even through thin structure/terrain parts! Use it! Meteor shower is also one of the very few ways of clearing some of the "better placed" siege off the walls, just make sure you have someone near to protect and/or revive you.Don't get me wrong, I always loved the amount of tools available to Eles, all the different AoE fields on Staff, the thrill of dropping that perfect meteor on the enemies and all. It's just that other classes do it better, with less risk, with more versatility even. Ele is very complex in that you need to know which attunement to switch to to get the spells the situation requires, this is especially important as a weaver. Getting a feel for those cooldowns will be the deciding factor for how well you do and can be a lifesaver in sticky situations. Learn how the spells handle, learn where you can teleport to (structures are very teleport unfriendly at times!). Yes, you can make a difference as an Ele in a zerg, you can be the one placing down that AoE combo that finally breaks the enemy zerg, but usually you are just looking for a cozy place to stand where the ground isn't all red and painful. Usually you will just hope your fireball flies out before the enemy is dead or out of range. Usually you will just hope your meteor shower was placed correctly, begging for the enemy to not switch direction in the last moment. Usually you will just hope to get revived because a ranger, thief, warrior, mesmer ... anyone ... "focussed" you down while you were positioning yourself for that perfect shower of firey goodness and you had to vapor form back to the swarm.

As I wrote, for roaming I go with Sword/Dagger Weaver. One of Cello's old builds, a bit modified by now probably, don't remember. Good sustain, decent enough damage to take out the non-sustain focussed roamers. Comparable to other classes? Well, it does ok. It depends a lot on yours and the enemy's skill in the end. 1v1 fights can drag out at times, 1vX I don't recommend, but then again, I was never a very good roamer to be honest. Others might do wonders with this class, I was usually happy to win a few fights. Pick them carefully. Even with the mobility you have, often I had enemies run away whenever they realized they couldn't beat me - I never felt like the class has the long range mobility to keep up with some classes, which just have so much more at their disposal to disengage. (A ton of fun to play in open world and story though, where pure damage Ele is just a pain to play...makes me wonder if there's any place where staff Ele is actual non-constant-death fun to play anymore...)

And all of that takes me to the decision I made during the no-downed-state event week:After playing only Ele for so long I finally decided that I had enough, that I wanted to see whether other classes are as painful to play - and went with the Revenant.My opinion? Day and night. Rev plays so much easier, so much less squishy, and still does as much damage. Especially because you can stay with the zerg, because you can survive a push, you don't have to wait ages for your cooldowns, your attacks aren't the slowest thing on earth, and you even give some support to your allies. Sure, coalescence of ruin bugs out on anything that isn't as flat as ... you know ... flat, and it does handle a bit weirdly at times, but it's still a great "fire and forget" spell: turn to enemy, fire it, continue doing other stuff. Sure, it is somewhat bland going from having tons of spells and mechanics to remember to something so much simpler to use, but at least this class "works". It feels and actually is capable. It handles much better and just overall appears much better suited for WvW.I haven't looked into a proper roaming build for Rev yet though, so far I just "roamed" with my zerg build, as long as I wasn't alone that did well enough. Just don't expect to win a 1v1 with it, I guess.

The elementalist is broken. And not in a good way. While all classes' damage was more or less equalized, Anet seems to have forgotten that the drawback for more damage came with less defenses for the Ele. Nowadays the Ele has neither in WvW. The damage is limited by how sluggish the class handles and how careful you have to be, by how much damage you lose when you aren't going full glass cannon.At the same time I think Ele is the most balanced class. This may sound weird, but my point is, it's not that Ele does too little damage: others just do too much for what they are capable of. I'm not asking for more damage on the elementalist. I'm asking for making the class handle less like razor blades wrapped in wet tissue paper. This is not just a problem in WvW. With the difficulty increase of open world and story content since HoT, playing damage focussed staff Ele has become a painful experience. It is such a static, non-mobile class, that the new mobs with all their abilities make doing the story for example at times nigh impossible. This is of course where my roaming build shines, but often the lack of damage on that turns the fights into a tedium.

Besides ...I literally DIED TO RETALIATION during the no-downed state event almost every time I put down a well placed meteor shower, how is that not broken!?Not once has retaliation been a threat to me while playing revenant, I totally forgot about it, actually.

So yeah, I recommend you to NOT play the class, unless you insanely love it, enjoy a challenge with little more reward than other classes offer, want to see all siege on walls burn in a rain of fire or are just plain masochistic...or want to do a detailed pedological study of the WvW battlefields, I mean, that dirt looks mighty fine, wouldn't you say? So soft and fertile...

(I cannot (!) comment on tempest healer. The above text is mainly about staff weaver. From my experience of fighting against tempest healer, I would say they are decent, but not topnotch.)

Even from a roaming perspective as well, I got hit by a 15k Winter's Bite while sitting on 1600 Toughness and Protection... the attack was from a SlB within stealth so I can't react to that in any sort of way. The thing is that I have to run a bunker build and still get almost oneshot puts me in a state of why am I even playing this? What's the point of butchering my damage to barely come on par with others survival status and still not hit the B tier? Or even worse how it feels like a chess vs an AI when on Berserk stats.

I was always a fan of how much fun you can get, but to be honest, if I were able to revert time and pick a main, Ele would have never made it, but as of now, I am stuck with it and prolonged gameplay of it made me hate other classes as of boredom.

I still play my old main ele in wvw as a roamer. But only build that works for me is the old dagger dagger build. I can hold my own in 1v1, and in some 2v1. I can kill even soulbeasts with it if I dont do any mistakes and they are not main rangers (those guys know what they do). Yet as you said, the amount of skill and energy I put is way more than any other profession. I tried soulbeast last night, oh boy... Rock gazelle + snow owl made my day really. I tried every profession in the last week actually, except warrior. And what i learned is that ele needs adjustments. Not just buffs but real adjustments/rewrites.

@alain.1659 said:I still play my old main ele in wvw as a roamer. But only build that works for me is the old dagger dagger build. I can hold my own in 1v1, and in some 2v1. I can kill even soulbeasts with it if I dont do any mistakes and they are not main rangers (those guys know what they do). Yet as you said, the amount of skill and energy I put is way more than any other profession. I tried soulbeast last night, oh boy... Rock gazelle + snow owl made my day really. I tried every profession in the last week actually, except warrior. And what i learned is that ele needs adjustments. Not just buffs but real adjustments/rewrites.

Try weaver d/d with Unravel.It needs some exercise to memorize and chain combos; unravel, dual attacks, leaps ... but dagger dual attacks are really really strong, and unravel is quite good actually, it helps for example to reset CD and attune directly in water for cleansing/healing, air for the schoking aura, fire earth for leaps, etc.