Question about deleting a character.

I've decided that I want to change the race on one of my toons. My question is: If it has 500 Artificing with some certain recipes on it, will those recipes show on my new charcter when I level it to 500? Or will I have to learn/obtain them again? Like legendary Component, ascended weapon recipes, consumables etc. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Recipe On WikiPage it says they are account bound, but I've seen some posts where people say you can lose the recipes when you delete it, so I'm not really sure about it. Also is there anything else I need to keep in mind before I delete it?The character is only a few months old, so I'm not worried about the birthday gifts. I don't have anything soul bound on it. No additional bag slots.

Honestly, I'd just keep the character so you don't have to go through the trouble of leveling your craft back up to 500. As far as I know, recipes unlock across your entire account, but the crafting professions themselves are per character. And who knows, maybe in a year you'll regain interest in your first character.

If you do decide to go the deletion route, put any items or gear you intend to keep in your bank. Don't forget to do the same with armor and/or weapons if they are account bound.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure recipes learned are per character. When it says "account bound" it means that once the recipe is acquired (but not used) it cannot be given to other players.

If you delete the character, any recipes that character learned will also be deleted.

@"Dhemize.8649" said:I'm pretty sure recipes learned are per character. When it says "account bound" it means that once the recipe is acquired (but not used) it cannot be given to other players.

If you delete the character, any recipes that character learned will also be deleted.

Not quite. There are three types of recipes, and only some of them are forgotten.

• Automatically learned as you level crafting. These are per character and everyone learned as they learn each craft. Not really an issue.
  • Discovered by mixing ingredients in the 'anvil' tab. These are also per character and must be re-learned per character.
  • Unlocked by consumable recipe item. These are account bound and not lost if a character is deleted.

@"AgentMoore.9453" said:I'd just keep the characterMy recommendation as well.

Old characters can be used as supplemental storage, to earn by parking at a JP chest or (this week especially) an event chain or world boss, and an extra birthday present each year. I know of many people who have regretted deleting characters; I don't know anyone who has regretted adding a slot for an "extra" one.(Although to be fair, there are some people perfectly happy rerolling the same slot over and over again.)

@"Dhemize.8649" said:I'm pretty sure recipes learned are per character. When it says "account bound" it means that once the recipe is acquired (but not used) it cannot be given to other players.

The consumable recipes have been character-bound unlocks in the beginning of the game. But the July (26th) update in 2016 changed these unlocks to account-bound.

The character is only a few months old, so I'm not worried about the birthday gifts.

Even if it’s only a few months old it’s still worth considering keeping it as a mule. The inventory slots are cheaper than buying a bank tab and it’s a good place to store items that you don’t want to delete but rarely use. You can place it by a rich node or chest for a daily harvest.

@"AgentMoore.9453" said:Honestly, I'd just keep the character so you don't have to go through the trouble of leveling your craft back up to 500.

I don't know. These days, it's not too expensive to level crafting disciplines: http://gw2crafts.net/

As far as I know, recipes unlock across your entire account

...except for those that are unlocked through discovery (i.e., they would have to discover them again on the new character, which doesn't pose much of an issue, though).

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"AgentMoore.9453" said:Honestly, I'd just keep the character so you don't have to go through the trouble of leveling your craft back up to 500.

I don't know. These days, it's not too expensive to level crafting disciplines:

Your definition of "too expensive" and mine differ:

• Chef and Jeweler are 'cheap' at 2-5g and 10-12g respectively; no problem re-leveling there.
  • Leveling the weapon disciplines to r500 costs ~100-125 gold
  • Leveling the armor disciplines costs 60-80 gold.

For someone with 1000 gold in their wallet, releleveling 'gear' crafts might cost the equivalent of 10-20% of their coin. That sounds very expensive to me.In contrast, at today's exchange rates, a new character costs 280 gold.

Summarizing:

• Re-learning crafts to r500 costs 150-200g (not including relearning discovery recipes) and provides no tangible benefits
  • A new toon costs 280 gold and means extra storage, extra income, extra presents, and the opportunity for some easy map completions that might generate BL keys.

Obviously it's up to each person to decide what those things are worth. Personally, I'll always choose new toon.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:Your definition of "too expensive" and mine differ:

I should have added "[...] compared to several years ago." :s

Oh sure, it's much cheaper now.Unfortunately, using that logic, we'd also have to say " it's not too expensive to craft a legendary" or "deck out 3 characters for fractals, with ascended gear with AR 150," because those are comparably less expensive today than several years ago.

That's why I posted the actual numbers. 200g is a lot for some people, while it's no big deal for others.

@Kal Spiro.9745 said:

@"AgentMoore.9453" said:I'd just keep the characterMy recommendation as well.

an extra birthday present each year.

This to me is the number one reason to maintain the character. Especially if you've had the character for a while, which is suggested in this case.

The OP wrote, "The character is only a few months old, so I'm not worried about the birthday gifts. "Me? I recommend worrying about them. Sure, this year, another Queen Jennah mini is inventory management rather than a reward. It's the downstream rewards that start to add up. The dyes alone are worth it. To me.(I suspect the OP won't be convinced by presents alone tho.)

• 4 years later...
2 minutes ago, boosinka.9703 said:

hey guys o/

what about hairstyles bought in a gem shop (i mean Hairstyle kit)? Will they disappear if I delete the character and will have to buy them again?

If you have an unused hairstyle kit in your inventory you can put it in the bank for another character to use.

If you mean you used a kit to change a characters hair style to one of the exclusive ones then no, that will be 'lost' when the character is deleted. You don't unlock hair styles in this game, just pay to change it (like going to a barbershop, but you can do it anywhere using the kit), that's why it costs the same regardless of whether you pick an exclusive style or one of the default ones.

5 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

If you have an unused hairstyle kit in your inventory you can put it in the bank for another character to use.

If you mean you used a kit to change a characters hair style to one of the exclusive ones then no, that will be 'lost' when the character is deleted. You don't unlock hair styles in this game, just pay to change it (like going to a barbershop, but you can do it anywhere using the kit), that's why it costs the same regardless of whether you pick an exclusive style or one of the default ones.

so sad :<

anyway, thank you for the answer 🙂

• Confused 1