Community has changed

Even if Living Story can give us everything an expansion can, I will miss the huge influx of new and returning players at the start of an expansion. The “new game” feeling, the feeling that I’m part of the gaming community. That is to say, the feeling I’m not just playing some client a co-worker told me about needs to be there again. By not delivering any more expansions, or by relying on LS to deliver everything an expansion does, ANet is ignoring the community aspect. LS can only deliver a small part of the community aspect that one giant release delivers, so they are inadvertently admitting that the GW2 community is dead.

They clearly don't care about the game or the community. It's a damn shame they never talk to us.

Wait.

More community interaction than ever.More information about the upcoming release than ever.Guarantee that we will have at least another full season of content following the finale of this one.Promise of future events.Promise of making PoF meta events more rewarding.Telling us beforehand about upcoming balance changes.I could go on about this, but I'm sure you get the point.

Gaile may be gone, but you're ignoring a whole damn lot of work they've been doing to make your argument. Expansions hardly influence the amount of new players. Most of those people are returning. In fact, there are hundreds of new players recently. I was leveling with a friend who I got into the game and the Norn tutorial was full of people who talked to each other, took their first steps in the game. Honestly it reminded me of launch, idk what caused that influx. Potentially their increased media presence and the fact their hard work recently really shows.

I like that expansions can deliver us a large chunk of story that we don't have to wait for inbetween a lot, but mostly because of the amount of maps, not the story.

@Mortifera.6138 said:

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:ArenaNet is admitting/claiming no such thing.

They are, indirectly, with acts such as “letting go” their Community Manager since Beta of the original Guild Wars. Unless we use your logic, in which case they’re not
not
admitting it.

Their community manager voluntarily left. They have not said no expansions and they have a community team which involves at least Rubi, Stephane and others. That pretty much debunks your theory outright.

Given the recent drive for community relations, events and playing alongside players I think we can safely drop any accusations of inadvertently ignoring their community or it being dead.

Not really. You seem to be familiar with the layoffs that occurred - they've moved the remaining people off suspended projects back onto GW2 proper. Before that happened, it's entirely possible they'd taken too many people off GW2 to produce another expansion following LS4. With the vast majority of the studio working actively on GW2 again, they'll be looking at the best way to deliver content to retain and expand their audience.

They may be satisfied that the best way they can do that is through periodic updates, rather than biannual expansions. Alternatively, they may want to go back to the expansion model, but they don't have enough time to get one ready after the upcoming episode this week, so it'd probably come after S5 if they choose to do that.

No forthcoming expansions would only be a sign they'd given up on the game if they were working on anything else. Since February, they're not.

@Mortifera.6138 said:Just admit it, guys: no expansion spells trouble.

Not really. Pretty sure this scenario isn't any different to when LWS1 came out and went straight to LWS2. They are just using a previous format at the moment until they can get the resources they need to make the next expansion because NCSoft made a bunch of projects that never launched meaning they wasted a bunch of resources (note: I say NCSoft, not ANet because NCSoft were the ones taking people from ANet to do other projects that went bust).

@ChronoPinoyX.7923 said:

Not really. Pretty sure this scenario isn't any different to when LWS1 came out and went straight to LWS2. They are just using a previous format at the moment until they can get the resources they need to make the next expansion because NCSoft made a bunch of projects that never launched meaning they wasted a bunch of resources (note: I say NCSoft, not ANet because NCSoft were the ones taking people from ANet to do other projects that went bust).

Back then, we didn’t think we were ever getting an expansion. Now that we’ve come to expect them, we should be asking when there’s a new one, not if. Again, trouble.

• Confused 1

I don't get the whole "not new expacs for a while" drama. I mean I'm pretty sure they said we'd get some things we would get in an expac through LS episodes. so wehat's the difference? that we're getting it not all at once I guess.

@"coso.9173" said:I don't get the whole "not new expacs for a while" drama. I mean I'm pretty sure they said we'd get some things we would get in an expac through LS episodes. so wehat's the difference? that we're getting it not all at once I guess.

Yes, and the community of expansions is different from the leftovers we get during LS.

• Confused 1

You might want to take a break @Mortifera.6138.

Your post history suggest you are unhappy with the game for at least close to 1/2 a year, which is perfectly fine. Maybe if you took a break, you might enjoy the game again in the future (and if you are on break, maybe take a break from the forums too).

Not sure what all these Doom and Gloom threads are good for when GW2 has clearly been getting more attention lately and developer interaction is at an all time high.

While I agree that a future expansion should be planned, I'm sure the devs will consider this if their Living World plans do not pan out. In any case, Living World Season 5 is up after Season 4, so no matter what the plans are, any possible expansion is over a year away. No amount of bickering on the forums will change this, and player numbers or activity will have a way bigger impact to sway developer decisions. As such, taking a break would even encourage expansion plans.

@Mortifera.6138 said:

Back then, we didn’t think we were
ever
getting an expansion. Now that we’ve come to expect them, we should be asking
when
there’s a new one, not
if.
Again, trouble.

Again, no it isn't. You're mistaking LS as being separate to an Expansion. LS themselves are content updates that can literally be sold as Expansions considering the fact that they add new maps, new areas and new mechanics. The reason they want to focus on this right now is so they can work with the current structure they have (again, cuz of NCSoft), once they have that structure worked out and have a good understanding on where they are at, as well as NCSoft literally not wasting their revenue, they are more than likely to make a new expansion.

And while this isn’t everything we have planned for the game, it at least gives you better insight into its development. The team is passionate about not only supporting Guild Wars 2, but continuing to grow it alongside all of you.

Bold words reiterates that LS and the stuff they announced on here https://www.guildwars2.com/en-gb/news/whats-next-for-guild-wars-2/ was not the only thing they had planned, they have more planned on the horizon.

@ChronoPinoyX.7923 said:

ever
when
there’s a new one, not
if.
Again, trouble.

Again, no it isn't. You're mistaking LS as being separate to an Expansion. LS themselves are content updates that can literally be sold as Expansions considering the fact that they add new maps, new areas and new mechanics. The reason they want to focus on this right now is so they can work with the current structure they have (again, cuz of NCSoft), once they have that structure worked out and have a good understanding on where they are at, as well as NCSoft literally not wasting their revenue, they are more than likely to make a new expansion.

And while this isn’t everything we have planned for the game, it at least gives you better insight into its development.
The team is passionate about not only supporting Guild Wars 2, but continuing to grow it alongside all of you.

Bold words reiterates that LS and the stuff they announced on here
was not the only thing they had planned, they have more planned on the horizon.

If LS is expansion-like content, why are they reusing expansion rigs (cough griffon) for their in-between xpac content? That alone shows expansion content is of higher quality than the scraps we get in between.

• Confused 1

@Mortifera.6138 said:

ever
when
there’s a new one, not
if.
Again, trouble.

And while this isn’t everything we have planned for the game, it at least gives you better insight into its development.
The team is passionate about not only supporting Guild Wars 2, but continuing to grow it alongside all of you.

If LS is expansion-like content, why are they reusing expansion rigs (
cough
griffon) for their in-between xpac content?

If an asset is reusable and can be remade without having to majorly tweak it, then they would go for the best option available to them. It's part of game development itself, if your assets are reusable whether it be for expansion of a game or even using it on a new game, you're more than welcome to reuse it. Destroyers are literally GW1 assets which are reused for GW2.

Both HoT/PoF and LS have reused assets between each other.

@ChronoPinoyX.7923 said:

ever
when
there’s a new one, not
if.
Again, trouble.

cough

If an asset is reusable and can be remade without having to majorly tweak it, then they would go for the best option available to them. It's part of game development itself, if your assets are reusable whether it be for expansion of a game or even using it on a new game, you're more than welcome to reuse it. Destroyers are literally GW1 assets which are reused for GW2.

Lol it looks like a reskin. Just admit it’s stupid.

@Mortifera.6138 said:

ever
when
there’s a new one, not
if.
Again, trouble.

cough

So that would make Deathbranded Shatterer stupid. It would make Tequatl the Sunless stupid. All the weapons stupid, all the armor stupid, all the mobs stupid, and practically everything in the game stupid because it's all reskins.

So you're saying this game is stupid.

@ChronoPinoyX.7923 said:

ever
when
there’s a new one, not
if.
Again, trouble.

cough

So that would make Deathbranded Shatterer stupid. It would make Tequatl the Sunless stupid. All the weapons stupid, all the armor stupid, all the mobs stupid, and practically everything in the game stupid because it's all reskins.

Lol those things are related to each other. Offsprings, race, species, etc. Griffon has nothing to do with Warclaw. It was a blatant cop out. So yes, it was stupid enough to make me quit.

@Mortifera.6138 said:

ever
when
there’s a new one, not
if.
Again, trouble.

cough

Lol those things are related to each other. Offsprings, race, species, etc. Griffon has nothing to do with Warclaw. It was a blatant cop out. So yes, it was stupid enough to make me quit.

Can I have your stuff?

@Mortifera.6138 said:

ever
when
there’s a new one, not
if.
Again, trouble.

cough

Lol those things are related to each other. Offsprings, race, whatever. Griffon has nothing to do with Warclaw. It was a blatant cop out. So yes, it was stupid enough to make me quit.

Yeah, Warclaw has nothing to do with Griffon (except it does cuz they're both quadrupedal creatures with the only difference being wings). That's like saying Norn, Sylvari and Humans are all just reskins of each other because they all use human skeletons.

I get what you mean don't get me wrong but it's a flawed argument since what you based it on is the fact that they reused assets which they have done multiple times since the game's initial release and is something extremely common in any form of game development (even sprite based ones). I won't make you change your opinion but please don't try to mask opinions as facts...

@Mortifera.6138 said:

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:ArenaNet is admitting/claiming no such thing.

They are, indirectly, with acts such as “letting go” their Community Manager since Beta of the original Guild Wars. Unless we use your logic, in which case they’re not
not
admitting it.

From what I've heard, Gaile wasn't let go, she chose to leave, allowing newer people to stay...she probably made quite a bit of money having been there for so long. In fact, several long standing employees chose to leave, for the benefit of newer people who'd have more trouble landing on their feet.

ever
when
there’s a new one, not
if.
Again, trouble.

cough

Lol those things are related to each other. Offsprings, race, whatever. Griffon has nothing to do with Warclaw. It was a blatant cop out. So yes, it was stupid enough to make me quit.

Yeah, Warclaw has nothing to do with Griffon (except it does cuz they're both quadrupedal creatures with the only difference being wings). That's like saying Norn, Sylvari and Humans are all just reskins of each other because they all use human skeletons.

I get what you mean don't get me wrong but it's a flawed argument since what you based it on is the fact that they reused assets which they have done multiple times since the game's initial release and is something extremely common in any form of game development (even sprite based ones). I won't make you change your opinion but please don't try to mask opinions as facts...

ever
when
there’s a new one, not
if.
Again, trouble.

cough

Lol jackal is a quadrupedal creature, you don’t seem him taking the leaves off his head to reveal a griffon.