Community has changed

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:I'd think someone who has quit is no longer invested in the game; thus, it doesn't really matter what or how the Devs develop the game....at least, not to those not invested.

I did quit but am revisiting for the S4 finale. I just wish I could get that stupid reskin travesty out of my head. Then I would stay.

Not really. Pretty sure this scenario isn't any different to when LWS1 came out and went straight to LWS2. They are just using a previous format at the moment until they can get the resources they need to make the next expansion because NCSoft made a bunch of projects that never launched meaning they wasted a bunch of resources (note: I say NCSoft, not ANet because NCSoft were the ones taking people from ANet to do other projects that went bust).

Back then, we didn’t think we were
ever
getting an expansion. Now that we’ve come to expect them, we should be asking
when
there’s a new one, not
if.
Again, trouble.

Again, no it isn't. You're mistaking LS as being separate to an Expansion. LS themselves are content updates that can literally be sold as Expansions considering the fact that they add new maps, new areas and new mechanics. The reason they want to focus on this right now is so they can work with the current structure they have (again, cuz of NCSoft), once they have that structure worked out and have a good understanding on where they are at, as well as NCSoft literally not wasting their revenue, they are more than likely to make a new expansion.

And while this isn’t everything we have planned for the game, it at least gives you better insight into its development.
The team is passionate about not only supporting Guild Wars 2, but continuing to grow it alongside all of you.

Bold words reiterates that LS and the stuff they announced on here
was not the only thing they had planned, they have more planned on the horizon.

If LS is expansion-like content, why are they reusing expansion rigs (
cough
griffon) for their in-between xpac content?

If an asset is reusable and can be remade without having to majorly tweak it, then they would go for the best option available to them. It's part of game development itself, if your assets are reusable whether it be for expansion of a game or even using it on a new game, you're more than welcome to reuse it. Destroyers are literally GW1 assets which are reused for GW2.

Both HoT/PoF and LS have reused assets between each other.

Lol it looks like a reskin. Just admit it’s stupid.

So that would make Deathbranded Shatterer stupid. It would make Tequatl the Sunless stupid. All the weapons stupid, all the armor stupid, all the mobs stupid, and practically everything in the game stupid because it's all reskins.

So you're saying this game is stupid.

Lol those things are related to each other. Offsprings, race, whatever. Griffon has nothing to do with Warclaw. It was a blatant cop out. So yes, it was stupid enough to make me quit.

Yeah, Warclaw has nothing to do with Griffon (except it does cuz they're both quadrupedal creatures with the only difference being wings). That's like saying Norn, Sylvari and Humans are all just reskins of each other because they all use human skeletons.

I get what you mean don't get me wrong but it's a flawed argument since what you based it on is the fact that they reused assets which they have done multiple times since the game's initial release and is something extremely common in any form of game development (even sprite based ones). I won't make you change your opinion but please don't try to mask opinions as facts...

@Mortifera.6138 said:Just admit it, guys: no expansion spells trouble.

Not really. Pretty sure this scenario isn't any different to when LWS1 came out and went straight to LWS2. They are just using a previous format at the moment until they can get the resources they need to make the next expansion because NCSoft made a bunch of projects that never launched meaning they wasted a bunch of resources (note: I say NCSoft, not ANet because NCSoft were the ones taking people from ANet to do other projects that went bust).

ever
when
there’s a new one, not
if.
Again, trouble.

Again, no it isn't. You're mistaking LS as being separate to an Expansion. LS themselves are content updates that can literally be sold as Expansions considering the fact that they add new maps, new areas and new mechanics. The reason they want to focus on this right now is so they can work with the current structure they have (again, cuz of NCSoft), once they have that structure worked out and have a good understanding on where they are at, as well as NCSoft literally not wasting their revenue, they are more than likely to make a new expansion.

And while this isn’t everything we have planned for the game, it at least gives you better insight into its development.
The team is passionate about not only supporting Guild Wars 2, but continuing to grow it alongside all of you.

cough
griffon) for their in-between xpac content?

If an asset is reusable and can be remade without having to majorly tweak it, then they would go for the best option available to them. It's part of game development itself, if your assets are reusable whether it be for expansion of a game or even using it on a new game, you're more than welcome to reuse it. Destroyers are literally GW1 assets which are reused for GW2.

Both HoT/PoF and LS have reused assets between each other.

Lol it looks like a reskin. Just admit it’s stupid.

So that would make Deathbranded Shatterer stupid. It would make Tequatl the Sunless stupid. All the weapons stupid, all the armor stupid, all the mobs stupid, and practically everything in the game stupid because it's all reskins.

So you're saying this game is stupid.

Lol those things are related to each other. Offsprings, race, whatever. Griffon has nothing to do with Warclaw. It was a blatant cop out. So yes, it was stupid enough to make me quit.

Yeah, Warclaw has nothing to do with Griffon (except it does cuz they're both quadrupedal creatures with the only difference being wings). That's like saying Norn, Sylvari and Humans are all just reskins of each other because they all use human skeletons.

I get what you mean don't get me wrong but it's a flawed argument since what you based it on is the fact that they reused assets which they have done multiple times since the game's initial release and is something extremely common in any form of game development (even sprite based ones). I won't make you change your opinion but please don't try to mask opinions as facts...

Lol jackal is a quadrupedal creature, you don’t seem him taking the leaves off his head to reveal a griffon.

And yet I see running like a griffon, using skeletons of the griffon and essentially being a griffon reskin (or if I have to be more specific, Griffon is a Jackal reskin). Again, Warclaw argument, not valid in this regard.

@Mortifera.6138 said:

ever
when
there’s a new one, not
if.
Again, trouble.

cough
griffon) for their in-between xpac content? That alone shows expansion content is of higher quality than the scraps we get in between.

Did you ever consider they took the rig of the Griffin and modified it for the Warclaw, just like they did for the Skyscale...almost all games will take existing assets and modify and reuse them, why would you want to reinvent the wheel when the wheel already exists and all you need is a bigger wheel with wider spacing, it's still a wheel underneath. If they change the functionality of a rig, that makes it a different rig in essence, even if the "bone" structure is similar.

Also, it wasn't NCSoft that took people off of GW2 and put them on other projects, that was entirely ArenaNet's decision...up until this reorganization of NCSoft West, ArenaNet had been left to operate as if it was completely separate company, that was quite clear from the start of development on GW2, but most don't remember that, the only connection they had was that MO reported to the CEO of NCSoft West and the financials, everything else was completely under their control, including the original choice to not go the expansion route and also change their mind to make an expansion(HoT). I'm not going to say how NCSoft West is structured right now because other than the changes we were told about in regards to the restructuring we didn't get any information on whether or not NCSoft is exercising more control over ArenaNet or not...keep in mind that money from the Gem Shop still goes directly to ArenaNet and not NCSoft, that should tell you something.

Honestly, a break from expansions could be a big benefit - going back over the game and fixing issues, maybe doing some work to update the engine and quality of older assets. Even going back and redoing some of the changes to the 1-15 zones that seemed tacked on and rushed when they changed them. Having those be enjoyable again would probably get me playing them more.

The community in GW2 is quite vibrant! I’ve been revisiting core maps for gathering and leveling and on those and HoT and LWS3 that I played in last night there were lots of players doing events, helping one another — it was a lot of fun! :3

You may not like some changes — although I don’t see how being efficient in creating mounts or anything else is something to complain about — but you find other things that you do enjoy! I haven’t been happy about the nerfs to Druid and Chrono so I’m taking a break from those and enjoying other classes.

@Mortifera.6138 said:

ever
when
there’s a new one, not
if.
Again, trouble.

cough
griffon) for their in-between xpac content? That alone shows expansion content is of higher quality than the scraps we get in between.

Your argument dies when you base it on the griffon.The griffon itself is a reused Jackal rig.You just prove with this that you are inventing reasons for outrage that aren't based in fact or logic.

@Mortifera.6138 said:

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:ArenaNet is admitting/claiming no such thing.

They are, indirectly, with acts such as “letting go” their Community Manager since Beta of the original Guild Wars. Unless we use your logic, in which case they’re not
not
admitting it.

Gaile and the other senior staff members chose to leave the game to help prevent layoffs for some of the junior staff. From her wiki page "On February 25, 2019, I left ArenaNet, having opted to depart when the company was reducing staff. I made the decision to leave in the hopes that by doing so, another team member would be able to retain their position". This is something that is VERY common during corporate reshuffles and downsizing. The company will approach senior team members, offer buyout packages to help reduce the number of layoffs.

@Mortifera.6138 said:

@Ben K.6238 said:I don't really understand the premise of this thread. Why would they make new Living Story episodes if there was no community?

It’s a relatively small community that’s left, hence LS over expansions.

Just admit it, guys: no expansion spells trouble.

LS is more healthy for the game than an expansion.

Alot of influct for new content is returning players. So the choice is do you have players return and draw attention to your game every few months with a lw episode or do you wait 1-2 years and draw in a few more who will stick around for a little while then still leave.

@Mortifera.6138 said:

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:I'd think someone who has quit is no longer invested in the game; thus, it doesn't really matter what or how the Devs develop the game....at least, not to those not invested.

I did quit but am revisiting for the S4 finale. I just wish I could get that stupid reskin travesty out of my head. Then I would stay.

You do realize that pretty much everything is a re-skin?

@Mortifera.6138 said:They also killed off Istan farming, which had a nice farming community. But no, must buy their gold instead!

Because the only way to get gold is to farm the same event over and over again? And you don't think that hurts the game...because I do. Spreading players out to many events is a goal that should be encouraged by the devs. Having one event so profitable that it's what most people do for money is terrible for the game and I'm thrilled they nerfed it, like I was thrilled they nerfed AB multi mapping.

It's not all about what indiividual players want, it's what's good for the gold and the economy. I don't know about you but my ecto prices went waaaaaaaaaaay down which means the stuff I had was worth less, not more.

@Vayne.8563 said:

@Mortifera.6138 said:They also killed off Istan farming, which had a nice farming community. But no, must
buy
their gold instead!

Because the only way to get gold is to farm the same event over and over again? And you don't think that hurts the game...because I do. Spreading players out to many events is a goal that should be encouraged by the devs. Having one event so profitable that it's what most people do for money is terrible for the game and I'm thrilled they nerfed it, like I was thrilled they nerfed AB multi mapping.

It's not all about what indiividual players want, it's what's good for the gold and the economy. I don't know about you but my ecto prices went waaaaaaaaaaay down which means the stuff I had was worth less, not more.

So much this.

@Vayne.8563 said:

@Mortifera.6138 said:They also killed off Istan farming, which had a nice farming community. But no, must
buy
their gold instead!

Duh they’re going to say that instead of: “Hey, we nerfed Istan farming so you could go back to buying the gold from us!”

This thread is not about what I thought it was going to be about. To me the community changed around the time vanilla went f2p and has remained about the same since. I am not saying vanilla going f2p is what caused the change, just that those two things happened at about the same time . . .

As to the subject of the OP rather than the thread title, I'd agree with the poster above that anet is actually much more involved with the player community now than they were a year or even six months ago, and that's a good thing . . .

I don't think the OP is necessarily wrong about some of the consequences of forgoing an expansion but none of those really affect me personally, they only affect me insofar as they affect the long term viability of the game. And even then, I could just play something else . . .

@Mortifera.6138 said:

buy
their gold instead!

Duh they’re going to say that instead of: “Hey, we nerfed Istan farming so you could go back to buying the gold from us!”

Except they aren't saying it...I'm saying it. Before the nerf, others have asked for it to be nerfed...players not devs. Just because it's good for the farmers who do it..well, AB multimap was the same. Hard to get maps to do TD When AB was so profitable, so TD got done less frequently. The removed the AB multimap and suddenly, magicalliy, more people were in TD which I prefer and like better.

The devs aren't talking for me. I'm talking about my personal preferences and what I believe is better for the game. The only shame here is that the devs took so long to nerf it.

@Vayne.8563 said:

buy
their gold instead!

Except they aren't saying it...I'm saying it. Before the nerf, others have asked for it to be nerfed...players not devs. Just because it's good for the farmers who do it..well, AB multimap was the same. Hard to get maps to do TD When AB was so profitable, so TD got done less frequently. The removed the AB multimap and suddenly, magicalliy, more people were in TD which I prefer and like better.

The devs aren't talking for me. I'm talking about my personal preferences and what I believe is better for the game. The only shame here is that the devs took so long to nerf it.

They did say it, which is why it’s been parroted around here.

@Mortifera.6138 said:

buy
their gold instead!

They did say it, which is why it’s been parroted around here.

I said it BEFORE they did. Are you suggesting they parroted me?