Scythe Skins for Greatswords

@sorudo.9054 said:

@derd.6413 said:only somebody with 0 understanding of weapons would use a scyth like a greatsword

Dark Souls want to speak with you. btw. one of the best weapons in the game.When playing with my Reaper i wish i could change the appearance of my GS to a scythe.

do you honestly think anybody here wants a scythe skin that looks like the scythe from dark souls? secondly the scythe is a halberd, not a gs

what who talked here about the look?you quoted the part yourself what my answer was about.

yes in reallife nobody would fight with scythe. But thats a fantasy game.

i'm fine with scythes, i'm not fine with scythe GS (because that's beyond stupid)

it's beyond stupid to limit others because you don't want it.

so hacks are allowed then

now you're just being stupid

no, you're argument was just that bad

Everybody is talking about how viable scythes are as a weapon, not nobody is talking about how ridiculous a scythe would look as a greatsword skin, from the standpoint of animations. Just think about how your character carries their greatsword in combat, and where their hands are placed.

It would require new animations not to look silly, which is very unlikely to happen.

@Warkind.6745 said:Everybody is talking about how viable scythes are as a weapon, not nobody is talking about how ridiculous a scythe would look as a greatsword skin, from the standpoint of animations. Just think about how your character carries their greatsword in combat, and where their hands are placed.

It would require new animations not to look silly, which is very unlikely to happen.what do you think i meant withonly somebody with 0 understanding of weapons would use a scyth like a greatsword

@derd.6413 said:

@Warkind.6745 said:Everybody is talking about how viable scythes are as a weapon, not nobody is talking about how ridiculous a scythe would look as a greatsword skin, from the standpoint of animations. Just think about how your character carries their greatsword in combat, and where their hands are placed.

It would require new animations not to look silly, which is very unlikely to happen.what do you think i meant withonly somebody with 0 understanding of weapons would use a scyth like a greatsword

Since you did not mention animations, I think you meant that you watched half a Skallagrim video on why scythes are not weapons and want to flex on the aesthetically inclined members of the playerbase.

@Warkind.6745 said:

Since you did not mention animations, I think you meant that you watched half a Skallagrim video on why scythes are not weapons and want to flex on the aesthetically inclined members of the playerbase.

i don't know who skallagrim is but if i thought scyths shouldn't be used at all then i would've said so instead of specifying "lie a greatsword"

@derd.6413 said:

i don't know who skallagrim is but if i thought scyths shouldn't be used at all then i would've said so instead of specifying "lie a greatsword"

Well, in the same vein, only someone with no understanding of weapons would use scythe as staff (or use most staves as melee weapons - seriously, have you seen the atrocity that is the daredevil staff melee animation with over half of the staff skins?). Same with many of the sword skins (no, rapier, longsword and sabre are not the same weapons, and you don't use them the same way). Yet all those cases do exist, and do not seem to be a problem. And, honestly, compared to some of those, scythe-gs animations won't even be a blip on the radar.

In other words, yes, i know the animations wouldn't match in some cases, but it's not as big of a problem as some people try to make out of it. At the very least, it would not be inconsistent with what we have already.

This is partly why i'm in favour of weapons having more than one skill set per class.

I see no reason why we can't have a new Necro elite specialization that instead of giving us a whole new weapon, gives us a whole new weapon skill set for an existing one.. melee staff for example.I dunno how Anet would implement this but I'm sure they'd be able to find a way to make it work and allow for Necro to run a Staff/Staff setup with each Staff having it's own skill set.

Perhaps they could set it by Weapon slot.. first slot default skills, secondary slot new skills.This could work for every profession that has weapon swap slots and completely remove the new weapon restriction on almost every future elite spec.. allowing for more creative freedom in future.

Some examples.. Melee staff Necro, Towershield stance Guardian (think something similar to Deadeye crouch), Power Sword Warrior, Mainhand Throwing knife Thief, Melee greatsword Mesmer, Range Staff Revenant etc.Could even have the new sets offer duel wieling two handed weapons.A while back I thought of a Warrior spec concept that duel wielded Greatswords and could swap between 2handing a greatsword (default skill set) and duel wielding 2 smaller greatswords (new skill set)That's what I originally came up with this multiple skillset idea for.

The Towershield Guardian idea I also like a lot.Basic skill 4 could be a simple shield bash or slam that would stun or knockdown respectfully and the skill 5 would be a crouch skill like the Deadeye's Rifle 5.Guard would go into a defensive stance and create a shield wall replacing his 1-2-3 & 4 skills for shield skills and becoming unable to move and blocking all/most damage from the front for a set period of time, Skill 5 would be a stance swap back to normal naturally.1 could be a slow pulse wave similarly to the original lootstick staff 1 guardian used to have but slower attack.2 could be a ground targeted AoE taunt3 could be a AoE knockback4 could be a large long range cone AoE buff which will give upto 10 allies behind the guardian several seconds of protect, regen, retaliation and aegis.

Could maybe put a restriction on it too.. like Guardian can only maintain this stance for 15 seconds before he gets knocked down for 5 seconds and takes double/triple damagefor the same period of time or something.

It's just a rough idea in need of refinement but I like the concept alot and it could only exist if Guardian was able to have a secondary shield skill set.Could see it being of great use in WvW and PvE.. a proper bunker Guardian designed to buff groups and protect them while trying to pull the enemy out similarly to how shield walls were used in real and many fictional battles.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

Well, in the same vein, only someone with no understanding of weapons would use scythe as staff (or use most staves as melee weapons - seriously, have you seen the atrocity that is the daredevil staff melee animation with over half of the staff skins?). Same with many of the sword skins (no, rapier, longsword and sabre are not the same weapons, and you don't use them the same way). Yet all those cases do exist, and do not seem to be a problem. And, honestly, compared to some of those, scythe-gs animations won't even be a blip on the radar.

In other words, yes, i know the animations wouldn't match in some cases, but it's not as big of a problem as some people try to make out of it. At the very least, it would
not
be inconsistent with what we have already.

there's a world of diffrence between using a big stick with an impracticable blade at the end as just a big stick or using it as a big sword

@derd.6413 said:there's a world of diffrence between using a big stick with an impracticable blade at the end as just a big stick or using it as a big swordFor you, perhaps. For me, it looks equally ridiculous. And definitely not worse in any way than, for example, making a massive cutting swing with a rapier, or a straight thrust with a cutting weapon with no point.

It's a game. i don't expect 100% realism from it. If i did, i wouldn't want any scythe skins (unless they were done right - with the blade pointed up, not sideways). What i do expect is for the attacks to look cool - and scythes look way cooler as a melee weapon than as a caster one.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@derd.6413 said:there's a world of diffrence between using a big stick with an impracticable blade at the end as just a big stick or using it as a big swordFor you, perhaps. For me, it looks equally ridiculous. And definitely not worse in any way than, for example, making a massive cutting swing with a rapier, or a straight thrust with a cutting weapon
with no point

It's a game. i don't expect 100% realism from it. What i do expect is for the attacks to look cool - and scythes look way cooler as a melee weapon than as a caster one.

perhaps but holding a scythe at the bottom like a GS while swinging it around is just going overboard with it

This is one of many reasons we need land spears/lances. It's one of the most glaringly missing things in GW2.

I still feel like they need to just put some energy into creating new weapon types both for cosmetic and skill variety. Who cares if they don't have the same number of skins as the ones that have been around forever?

@derd.6413 said:

@derd.6413 said:there's a world of diffrence between using a big stick with an impracticable blade at the end as just a big stick or using it as a big swordFor you, perhaps. For me, it looks equally ridiculous. And definitely not worse in any way than, for example, making a massive cutting swing with a rapier, or a straight thrust with a cutting weapon
with no point

It's a game. i don't expect 100% realism from it. What i do expect is for the attacks to look cool - and scythes look way cooler as a melee weapon than as a caster one.

perhaps but holding a scythe at the bottom like a GS while swinging it around is just going overboard with itYou do realize that "overboard" is practically the definition of greatsword skins and animations in this game?Also, things like that can be adjusted. A few staff skins were adjusted for melee animations on daredevil, for example. You don't even know how it might look, and yet you're already acting as if it would be the end of the world. Don't panic yet, we know that it
can
be done right - just look at animations for the scythe-using sunspear mobs already in the game. Contrary to your worries, they are completely fine.

@derd.6413 said:

@derd.6413 said:only somebody with 0 understanding of weapons would use a scyth like a greatsword

Nobody would use a scythe as a weapon against anything but wheat,

You gonna tell The Grim Reaper how to do his/her business? I think not....

he doesn't exist tho

Talk like that is likely to get you on the wrong end of his/her scythe. Just sayin'

@derd.6413 said:

he doesn't exist tho

nothing in GW2 exists, that's the problem here, you're focusing on realism while you fail to see the whole reason why this game is called a fantasy MMO.

@sorudo.9054 said:

he doesn't exist tho

nothing in GW2 exists, that's the problem here, you're focusing on realism while you fail to see the whole reason why this game is called a
fantasy
MMO.

there's alot i can let slide on account of gw2 being fantasy but scyth GS goes from "amateur's fantasy" to "complete nonsense"

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

he doesn't exist tho

Talk like that is likely to get you on the wrong end of his/her scythe. Just sayin'

I AM DEATH AND I APPROVE OF THIS MESSAGE AND KITTENS!

On topic: Most of the time a great sword (It apparently is a sword with delusions of grandeur.) Are held so that the blade is parallel to the ground, I'd imagine there would be some weird clipping issues.

I want this. A Reaper using a Scythe is just aesthetically pleasing, and fits the fantasy/theme. I can not understand why anyone would be against this.

Google search a Reaper images... Tell me how many pages you have to scroll to see one with a greatsword...

@MysticReaper.4318 said:very simply put. if anet creates a greatsword scythe skin, if you think its dumb, don't buy it. i am very sure all you necro reapers like me would buy it. lets face it. the grim reaper weapon is a scythe. the grim reaper look and feel sells.

I guess I'm a necro reaper NOT like you, because I wouldn't buy it. Dark Harvest FTW! (I wouldn't buy it for my non-reapers either.)