A refund of Initiative

Faaris.8013

A refund of Initiative when my shots are "obstructed" by nothing but thin air.

For those who are not familiar with the concept of Thief: You have no weapon skill cooldown, but a shared pool of points that are used by those skills: Initiative

When I use Unload, it costs me 6 Initiative out of the total 15 I have. It happens quite regularly that I stand right in front of an enemy, use Unload and all my shots are "obstructed". There is nothing that could possibly stand in the way of my bullets. We all know this issue, with different classes. If that happens, I'm basically toast, because with the speed and lag, I can easily have a second Unload in the queue before I can move to a different spot. When I hit Haste before I shoot, I can basically fire three Unloads within less than a second (if I hit and get a refund to fire a third time).

Now, I understand that this issue cannot be fixed easily, that's why it exists for years. It should be easy though to check what happened to the projectiles and trigger an action if the reply is "obstructed". If it is, refund thhe Initiative, or reset the cd. What about the cases where projectiles are really obstructed? Well, maybe add an area flag to the calculation and declare the main area of camps as "no obstruction anywhere".

This issue is a PITA and discourages me from even engaging in camps.

@"Vegeta.2563" said:Without actually seeing video footage, we can't determine what exactly is the cause of the issue.

Anyone who has used any range on just about any class already knows what he means.

There are well known mapping mesh issues all over the place that have been there since beta, nothing has been done to fix them, you also have areas that you can't use porting skills, you can have them selected, and be right next to them, but the skill will fail to cast. JI will have "no line of sight" to someone on completely flat ground, along with many other skills, and the same with ranged attacks.

However nothing has been done to connect or level out the map mesh to get rid of these issues after years....I would not hold my breath.

@XECOR.2814 said:Did you not think of the possibility that thief will run around spamming unload untill the shots actually hit if what you say is implemented?

And why should hits like the ones shown in the video not hit? The problem is that you do everything right as player, but the map is bugged so your shots get obstructed without any object between you and the target.

@Faaris.8013 said:

@XECOR.2814 said:Did you not think of the possibility that thief will run around spamming unload untill the shots actually hit if what you say is implemented?

And why should hits like the ones shown in the video not hit? The problem is that you do everything right as player, but the map is bugged so your shots get obstructed without any object between you and the target.

No, what i mean is if what you said is implemented then thief can keep spamming unload even if people are behind walls and things and instantly connect when they leave cover. Think of it as having a gun with unlimited bullets sprayed on you when you are in cover waiting for you to come out and get hit.

If they would be able to determine when this "refund" should happen, they should have been able to fix the obstruction or other similar port issues that consume initiative while not porting in the first place. But it doesn't seem that's the case.

@XECOR.2814 said:

No, what i mean is if what you said is implemented then thief can keep spamming unload even if people are behind walls and things and instantly connect when they leave cover. Think of it as having a gun with unlimited bullets sprayed on you when you are in cover waiting for you to come out and get hit.

I mentioned real obstacles in my first post. The engine should know if you are in a building or in the center of a camp. Camps are the most notorious places for this issue to occur.

@Faaris.8013 said:

I mentioned real obstacles in my first post. The engine should know if you are in a building or in the center of a camp. Camps are the most notorious places for this issue to occur.

Or, just fix the map mesh issues.

@TinkTinkPOOF.9201 said:

But that is not happening for many years, I suggest a work around that might be more possible to implement.

@Faaris.8013 said:

But that is not happening for many years, I suggest a work around that might be more possible to implement.

Fixing the map mesh is actually pretty easy to do and far easier than the suggestion you have of some sort of location based detection, with skill activation and detection of the map mesh issue, as well as linking it to skill CDs. You would have to build this system around each mesh problem....Or just fix the problem to start with.

Which was my point in my first post, if they are not going to fix a simple map mesh issue, don't hold your breath for a complex fix like this. In other games, map mesh issues happen all the time with new areas etc, however most other games fix those problems in weekly updates as they are simple bugs.

@Straegen.2938 said:If a player jumps while this is happening, it often fixes the issue. I often wonder if when the pathing check happens they could apply a slight height differential and solve many of the places with the issue.

I've actually suggested this in the past. Have all projectiles determine line of effect as if they're actually slightly higher than visually displayed.

@LetoII.3782 said:Nobody gets their cooldowns back when they flub *shrug

To be fair, OP is only asking for the initiative refund for an error on the game's end, not their own. (Though I'd prefer they'd just address the actual problem.)

~ Kovu