Soulbeast downside prediction.

DanAlcedo.3281

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@beatthedown.2651 said:That sounds really boring tbh. You are basically removing options and reduce pet variety. The problem with making core Ranger an alternative is that it just sucks (in competitive gamemodes) since 2012. You can run it, but why not play anything else instead?

If this is indeed the general state, then it would seem the best options would be to buff core Ranger, leave Soulbeast as is, and de-nerf Druid. :+1:

Having only one pet would probably kill any idea of having more than one archetype to utilize and choose from at a given time.Assuming you still merge/unmerge with just one pet, you'd likely just use only Smokescale for any offensive build and only Siamoth for any node-sitter setup and that would be the end of it. Maybe Gazelle if you're feeling a bit frisky on a given day or Bristleback if you're a Condi Meme.It would be just as lazy as having -20% stat reduction on Druid pets.....which is probably just in line with the current balance team's MO. I'd rather they just buff Core to make it better/unique than nerf Soulbeast's mechanically.

(Speaking of Archetypes, I'd hope they consider lowering Prelude Lash to 20s and making Primal Cry do a bit more than just bleed+vulnerability , regardless of what they choose.)

@shadowpass.4236 said:Soulbeast: The downside to merging is losing your pet in order to gain access to Beastmode skills.

just like...

Berserker: The downside to berserker stance is losing your normal burst skills in order to gain access to Berserk mode.

Soulbeast can use its core mechanic while not Merged.

Berserker cant use normal burst at all.

Berserker has a duration.Soulbeast can be used permanent.

Berserker needs a resource.Soulbeast doesnt.

Berserker Form can be interupted.

Can Merging be interupted?

@DanAlcedo.3281 said:

@shadowpass.4236 said:Soulbeast: The downside to merging is losing your pet in order to gain access to Beastmode skills.

just like...

Berserker: The downside to berserker stance is losing your normal burst skills in order to gain access to Berserk mode.

You conveniently forgot to mention that while merged, you can’t swap or use separate pet functions aka f2; and while unmerged, you can’t use Soulbeast functionality.

@beatthedown.2651 said:That sounds really boring tbh. You are basically removing options and reduce pet variety. The problem with making core Ranger an alternative is that it just sucks (in competitive gamemodes) since 2012. You can run it, but why not play anything else instead?

Pet variety was always garbage.Smokescale is meta since it's release.Core pets just suck and need improvements.Eitherway soulbeast will clearly get this trade off. It has to much versatility. That's its biggest strength.Now you have to choose between sustain and stealth. Not having both.Pet variety is a different topic than the overperformance of soulbeast.

@DanAlcedo.3281 said:

just like...

Would you like Soulbeast and Berserker to function exactly the same?

Drawing comparisons between each classes' unique mechanics is a huge waste of time. If you insist, here's another one for you:

1. Elementalists have four attunements to swap between while Revenants only have two.

Oh no so unfairD;

@InsaneQR.7412 said:

Pet variety was always garbage.Smokescale is meta since it's release.Core pets just suck and need improvements.Eitherway soulbeast will clearly get this trade off. It has to much versatility. That's its biggest strength.Now you have to choose between sustain and stealth. Not having both.Pet variety is a different topic than the overperformance of soulbeast.

So much baseless speculation in this thread. Taking the second pet away wouldn't even solve the stuff ppl are currently complaining about soulbeast. And making it a petswap may even buff burst builds by giving quickness + unblockable. Skill clicking Necro Mains cannot handle this.

@beatthedown.2651 said:

So much baseless speculation in this thread. Taking the second pet away wouldn't even solve the stuff ppl are currently complaining about soulbeast. And making it a petswap may even buff burst builds by giving quickness + unblockable. Skill clicking Necro Mains cannot handle this.

Whoa, skill clickers? I haven't encountered those yet, I only see people who know how to cry on the forums about Soulbeast.

Not even sure they realize they have skills they can click...

@beatthedown.2651 said:

Ppl complain about massive burst and huge survivability.Take one and there is counterplay.Soulbeasts bane is scourge but they cannot catch up with all this mobility thrown in. Additionally there is the possibility for a soulbeast to stealth, unmerge, swap pets, runaway, merge and heal up fully.Without second supportive pet they lose a lot of versatility.Sacrificing a pet thus is actually a huge trade off.The boonstack trait and skills needs adjustedments but that has nothing to do with soulbeast mechanic so I wouldn't call that a tradeoff.

just like...

The thing is not having pets while melded is not a drawback of Soulbeast it’s a drawback to the new mechanic soul beast gets. It would be like saying the drawback to chrono is if you shatter your clones for your F5 you can’t shatter them for something else.

When Soulbeast gets a drawback (its not going to be if), it will probably be we only get one pet, but swapping procs on going in or out.

Much like how berserker completely lost access to normal burst skills, daredevil lost range on steal and Druid lost pet stats.

@Durzlla.6295 said:

just like...

The thing is not having pets while melded is not a drawback of Soulbeast it’s a drawback to the new mechanic soul beast gets. It would be like saying the drawback to chrono is if you shatter your clones for your F5 you can’t shatter them for something else.

When Soulbeast gets a drawback (its not going to be if), it will probably be we only get one pet, but swapping procs on going in or out.

Much like how berserker completely lost access to normal burst skills, daredevil lost range on steal and Druid lost pet stats.

Eh I guess. It's still a big tradeoff though.

Only one pet on Soulbeast would 100% kill the specialization. Hopefully that doesn't happen.

@shadowpass.4236 said:

just like...

Only one pet on Soulbeast would 100% kill the specialization. Hopefully that doesn't happen.

If soulbeast got pet swap procs from going in and out of beast mode i'm pretty sure they'd be fine, and would still have quite a bit of variety at their disposal, but the existing boonbeast build would definitely die.

@Durzlla.6295 said:

just like...

If soulbeast got pet swap procs from going in and out of beast mode i'm pretty sure they'd be fine, and would still have quite a bit of variety at their disposal, but the existing boonbeast build would definitely die.

Honestly I think this would be a more significant nerf than the doubling of the CA cooldown Druid received.

I don't know about the rest of you, but nearly all of my rotations/gameplay I've practiced over the years rely on using my skills in conjunction with BOTH of my pets'. This would single handedly crush soulbeast into complete uselessness. Personally, I would never touch the specialization again. Unfortunately, seeing as how Druid has been beaten by a nerf bat consistently since HoT was released into an unrecognizable mess of a dumpster fire, it would leave core ranger as the only semi-competitive build in sPvP/WvW.

Out of all the tradeoffs to choose, removing one of our pets is one of the WORST ones I could imagine.

I'd probably drop the spec for competitive PvP if they go with the one pet deal as well.As I said before, for PvE/WvW, you'll just use one BiS pet and that will be the end of it. No considerations for unmerging+pet-swapping to access secondary skills for other situations that may come up like helping on breakbars or giving a quick heal to yourself/allies, or getting that "Oh ****" panic button for Unflinching Fortitude. It would just make it less interesting, and kinda braindead.

It would be the same for PvP, too. If there's one thing I like about roaming DDs for PvP is that they have not just damage but an aspect of versatility to how they handle themselves. Its why I enjoy something like SD+Gadgets Holo for decent damage, CC, and mobility in one package vs just being big damage that flops over the moment you're looked at. But hey, I guess crushing that stuff's fine as long as it makes everyone else feel better about the game's balancing. Like Druid becoming *** it would be one less thing to whinge about. :) (not that it would totally stop people from getting "one shotted" btw)

@Eramonster.2718 said:Prediction based on?Kinda pointless comparing 2 different classes. Eg. Rangers GS doesn't have Arc Diviner hence.... *see where this is going?

ye but they have maul, hilt bash, maul which does more dmg then it's targets when sic'em'd.and, no the ranger did not need to use his heal, or all his utility skills for it.

unblockable comes ond emand from merging, and on its own sic'em is basically more then every damage modifier other classes have

so what what is about fair comparing?

a warrior specced for full zerk that has to use every utility to land it?

or

that ranger that can do the same, swap to second pet and go usain bolt?

2 different classes will have their differences. To justify a skill (pet merge in this case), its best to address the skill and class itself than comparing it with another class.

A balancing topic more or less; and there won't be balance until all class is identical :confounded:.

a warrior specced for fullz erg that has to use every utility to land it?orthat ranger that can do the same, swap to second pet and go usain bolt?

The SB did the same(?), swapped to second pet (= use every utility to land it).

@melandru.3876 said:and on its own sic'em is basically more then every damage modifier other classes haveRanger also has some of the worst power damage in the entire game before you start stacking soulbeast modifiers. But you know, context is never important.

I'll gladly remove the damage modifier from sic em if it meant Anet would buff core ranger damage to be on par with other professions. The skill is a gimmick.

@DanAlcedo.3281 said:Pet Swap removed.

But Pet Merging now counts as a Pet Swap.

Thats 100% whats gonna happen.

Edit: Forgot lore reason.

Soulbeast need to focus on its pet to gain the ability to merge.

You can only focus on one pet.

I heard several people theorizing that this is what's going to happen. Pet merging count as swap is huge, they could have the unblockable from MM + the boon merge trait.Like I mentioned with Druid, trade-offs could be OK, but they have to fix the trash parts of SB like dragger, live fast trait(should be active after you press the skill, not after you cast it), predators cunning(should either get a massive buff or change functionality) , EB(should be like 33%-50% health back, fall out of Beast mode, lose pet until next merg). Trash pets skills should be reviewed as well.