[SUGGESTION] Tomes of Mentorship

I would like to suggest that we be given the option to exchange Tomes of Mentorship for Tomes of Knowledge. It could work like Writs of Experience where we would talk to Miyani or a Forge Attendant and exchange them for Tomes of Knowledge or even spirit shards. I suggest this because I have a pile of them sitting in my inventory that will never be used because I have so many other ways level a character if needed. It would at least give us the option of trading them for something useful to the individual player.

@Zushada.6108 said:I would like to suggest that we be given the option to exchange Tomes of Mentorship for Tomes of Knowledge. It could work like Writs of Experience where we would talk to Miyani or a Forge Attendant and exchange them for Tomes of Knowledge or even spirit shards. I suggest this because I have a pile of them sitting in my inventory that will never be used because I have so many other ways level a character if needed. It would at least give us the option of trading them for something useful to the individual player.

I don’t see this happening as they were clearly meant to be used on sub level 80 characters and spirit shards are a level 80 reward.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Zushada.6108 said:I would like to suggest that we be given the option to exchange Tomes of Mentorship for Tomes of Knowledge. It could work like Writs of Experience where we would talk to Miyani or a Forge Attendant and exchange them for Tomes of Knowledge or even spirit shards. I suggest this because I have a pile of them sitting in my inventory that will never be used because I have so many other ways level a character if needed. It would at least give us the option of trading them for something useful to the individual player.

I don’t see this happening as they were clearly meant to be used on sub level 80 characters and spirit shards are a level 80 reward.

It is a bit weird since ToM seems to be a lot more rare. Usually it is the rare items that are better/more useful(less restrictions in this case).

@PhantomGoddess.5174 said:I have never heard of this before but it looks interesting. I looked it up on the wiki and the explanation was a little confusing. Can someone explain what it does? Does it give you a level up? or does it do something different? I'm curious.

It is exactly the same as Tome of Knowledge except it can't be used on a lv80.

Thanks for answering my question. I don't use my Tomes of knowledge on post 80's anyway as I'm always making at least 1 new character every so often to get the level 10 and 40 black lion keys to open some lock boxes a couple times a month. So, if I ever did get these tomes of mentorship, I would just use them like the tomes of knowledge to get to the levels I want to get to faster. I wouldn't have a need to trade them in. Granted, I get it that not everyone would do something like this so they would probably like to do the exchange so that post 80 they could get the shards, but for me, it wouldn't be necessary.

@PhantomGoddess.5174 said:Thanks for answering my question. I don't use my Tomes of knowledge on post 80's anyway as I'm always making at least 1 new character every so often to get the level 10 and 40 black lion keys to open some lock boxes a couple times a month. So, if I ever did get these tomes of mentorship, I would just use them like the tomes of knowledge to get to the levels I want to get to faster. I wouldn't have a need to trade them in. Granted, I get it that not everyone would do something like this so they would probably like to do the exchange so that post 80 they could get the shards, but for me, it wouldn't be necessary.

Right but if they enabled that the Tomes of Mentorship would become exactly the same as Tomes of Knowledge. Keeping both around would accomplish nothing but waste inventory/bank space.

@Khisanth.2948 said:Right but if they enabled that the Tomes of Mentorship would become exactly the same as Tomes of Knowledge. Keeping both around would accomplish nothing but waste inventory/bank space.

You're right, but if they're useless after 80, why do they keep them around when tomes of knowledge are clearly more preferable and more abundant?

@PhantomGoddess.5174 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:Right but if they enabled that the Tomes of Mentorship would become exactly the same as Tomes of Knowledge. Keeping both around would accomplish nothing but waste inventory/bank space.

You're right, but if they're useless after 80, why do they keep them around when tomes of knowledge are clearly more preferable and more abundant?

They never should have existed. :)

@Ayrilana.1396 said:I don’t see this happening as they were clearly meant to be used on sub level 80 characters and spirit shards are a level 80 reward.

I didn't suggest they be removed. I requested the option to exchange them. With the Birthday scrolls, boosters and auto-80 availability, I have never used a Tome of Mentorship; yet every time I run personal story on a character, I get a few and then more from loot drops. So my point was not to remove them -- the point was simply that I would like to see the option available for those who wish to exchange them. In my opinion, they are slightly redundant given the introduction of Tomes of Knowledge in 2013. Plus, spirit shards are newer currency for the game; prior to June 2015, players traded skill points (now Hero Points) and Scrolls of Knowledge with the Forge Attendant.

Cheers and thank you for the comment,

There's only 2 places in the game where a Tome of Mentorship can be acquired.
As a reward for finishing the personal story step, Victory or Death (via the Mentor's Kit) and completing the Koutalophile collection (via the Mentor's Kit).They don't drop as loot, or are rewarded in other Personal Story steps.

I'd suggest just deleting them, or use them for 1 or more key runs to open inventory space.

Good luck.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:There's only 2 places in the game where a Tome of Mentorship can be acquired.

As a reward for finishing the personal story step, Victory or Death (via the Mentor's Kit) and completing the Koutalophile collection (via the Mentor's Kit).They don't drop as loot, or are rewarded in other Personal Story steps.

I'd suggest just deleting them, or use them for 1 or more key runs to open inventory space.

Good luck.

They also come from Bags of Educational Supplies that show up in the Ley-Energy Matter Converter, Karmic Converter and guild vendor.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:There's only 2 places in the game where a Tome of Mentorship can be acquired.

Good luck.

I am still suggesting an exchange alternative because deleting them is a waste. :smile:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:Ahh, so they do. Wiki needs updating, then. Thanks.

Or not, as they are treated as two different items in the API, and thus the Wiki.

Regardless, I still advise the same.

=_= you mean there are actually two different types of Tomes of Mentorship with different id? Suddenly I have the urge to strangle someone ...

Yes with 2 different icons even :smile:

Tome-Mentorship1Tome-Mentorship2

@Zushada.6108 said:

Good luck.

I am still suggesting an exchange alternative because deleting them is a waste. :smile:

Use them on an alt character. They’re no more a waste than the instant level XX scrolls characters get on their birthdays.

@Zushada.6108 said:I am still suggesting an exchange alternative because deleting them is a waste. :smile:

I think it's a mistake to think that everything we get as a 'reward' must be rewarding to us individually. There's a whole lot of stuff we get from the Personal Story that has little value to veterans. There's some stuff that some of us get in droves (while others struggle to get any). That doesn't mean that ANet ought to spend energy changing things.

If you have room, store stuff for a rainy day and if you don't, delete it. In the long run, it just won't have that much impact either way.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Zushada.6108 said:I am still suggesting an exchange alternative because deleting them is a waste. :smile:

I think it's a mistake to think that everything we get as a 'reward' must be rewarding to us individually. There's a whole lot of stuff we get from the Personal Story that has little value to veterans. There's some stuff that some of us get in droves (while others struggle to get any). That doesn't mean that ANet ought to spend energy changing things.

If you have room, store stuff for a rainy day and if you don't, delete it. In the long run, it just won't have that much impact either way.

I was just making a suggestion about exchanging a minor item -- not expecting a game altering change. :smile: I will let this stand for the Devs to review my suggestion but thank you for your opinion.Cheers