Rank all the classes for most OP WvW 1 vs 1 impromptu fights Mid 2019 (External Poll)

Back at the start of 2019, we had a poll to rank classes in terms of most OP in 1 vs 1 impromptu fights when roaming.

Out of 100+ votes, the results back in Jan 2019 were:2.5Mesmer3.0Ranger3.5Engineer4.2Thief5.4Warrior5.5Revenant6.0Elementalist7.0Guardian7.8Necro

Lets do one more now that we are coming up to Mid 2019 and see if the balance patches over the months had caused any changes to their rankings!

Impromptu fights meaning it is not an arranged duel where they bow and change builds and try to counter each other.Impromptu meaning they roam with their usual roaming builds and meet each other while roaming and engage in a fight spontaneously.

Poll Link Here:http://www.polljunkie.com/poll/yspgaj/most-op-wvw-1-vs-1-class-mid-2019

Poll Results Here:http://www.polljunkie.com/poll/pptrem/most-op-wvw-1-vs-1-class-mid-2019/view

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@EremiteAngel.9765 said:Impromptu fights meaning it is not an arranged duel where they bow and change builds and try to counter each other.Impromptu meaning they roam with their usual roaming builds and meet each other while roaming and engage in a fight spontaneously.

if you say they meet each other while roaming and engage in a fight, doesnt it mean at an objective of interest like a camp or is the main goal just the fight? because if you fight over objectives, then mobility and range damage do lose quite a bit of their power as you cant kite as much without losing the objective/retreating from the fight.

@"EremiteAngel.9765" said:Back at the start of 2019, we had a poll to rank classes in terms of most OP in 1 vs 1 impromptu fights when roaming.

Out of 100+ votes, the results back in Jan 2019 were:2.5Mesmer3.0Ranger3.5Engineer4.2Thief5.4Warrior5.5Revenant6.0Elementalist7.0Guardian7.8Necro

Lets do one more now that we are coming up to Mid 2019 and see if the balance patches over the months had caused any changes to their rankings!

Impromptu fights meaning it is not an arranged duel where they bow and change builds and try to counter each other.Impromptu meaning they roam with their usual roaming builds and meet each other while roaming and engage in a fight spontaneously.

Poll Link Here:http://www.polljunkie.com/poll/yspgaj/most-op-wvw-1-vs-1-class-mid-2019

Poll Results Here:http://www.polljunkie.com/poll/pptrem/most-op-wvw-1-vs-1-class-mid-2019/view

Are the 100+ voters all scourge roaming necros?...In all seriousness they are no roaming rangers , the only ones I see are pewpew hugging a gank group or the newb who read too many "OP ranger" threads on wvw forum who goes into wvw onlu to be reduced to mince in no time.

The truth is different ..at least here in EU :

1) Scrapper - broken beyond reason ...nothing more to add2) Holosmisth3) One shot s/s heralds4) Core wars5) Power chrono/mirages6) Power reapers

I have listed the roaming builds littering the EU scene from most often seen to least....there are no roaming ranger in EU T1 and below who represent a major threat to the average Joe...ofc there is some God playing ranger and making a youtube montage but..the average Joe does not run ranger because is not even close to be as broken as n1 to 2

Doesn't it really depend on the matchup? What if a Mesmer beats a Ranger but not an Engineer, but the Ranger beats the Engineer? How many people can actually give a reasonable vote anyway? Only very few people actually play planned 1 vs. 1 duels in WvW. Most encounters are random and don't mean anything. When I roam, I'm not set up for 1 vs. 1 duels and any class that is, can beat me. If I set my toon up for 1 vs. 1, I cannot do anything else without feeling the pain, therefore I never do that and cannot even tell how I would do in real 1 vs. 1 duels.

@Arheundel.6451 said:1) Scrapper - broken beyond reason ...nothing more to add2) Holosmisth3) One shot s/s heralds4) Core wars5) Power chrono/mirages6) Power reapers

I have listed the roaming builds littering the EU scene from most often seen to least....Lol.

In almost a month I've literally seen one other scrapper worth his salt in a 1v1. A p/p scrapper that I just saw for about 1 minute. All other scrappers are running 2v2+ smallscale support builds while relying on someone else to kill things. They are useless in 1v1 except just plain surviving. I meet more dangerous zerg built scourges in 1v1 fights, if they got the skills to back it up.

Holosmith are far from common 1v1. Just like the meta scrapper, they excel in smallscale - except instead of support bunker support, they run stunlock dps.

Soulbeasts are one of the most common 1v1 engagements, even though I will agree that most arent that good. They are most lethal in +1 situations, cant focus another player with a dps soulbeast hammering you. But I've still seen good duelists.

Also I find it incredibly amusing that you dont say a word about spellbreakers, one of the most common random roamers. Berserkers have also taken hold. Core warrior? Hahaha... They're about as rare as a 1v1 built scrappers.

No mention about the DH either, they are fairly common and capable in 1v1 for those that can play it. Firebrands mostly stick to smallscaling and up with zerg builds similar to the meta scrapper - cant kill them, they cant kill a kitten.

No mention about the thief either. They're not as common as before, but daredevils and deadeyes still exist.

As long as you can't differentiate between elite professions and the core class, the poll can't reflect the reality that you encounter on the maps. If you focus on the "impromptu" adjective, professions with sudden attack abilities (bursts, hitting from stealth, pew pew from range) would have to be looked at differently than "just meeting an enemy on the open field" and deciding to fight over something.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@"Arheundel.6451" said:1) Scrapper - broken beyond reason ...nothing more to add2) Holosmisth3) One shot s/s heralds4) Core wars5) Power chrono/mirages6) Power reapers

I have listed the roaming builds littering the EU scene from most often seen to least....Lol.

In almost a month I've literally seen
one
other scrapper worth his salt in a 1v1. A p/p scrapper that I just saw for about 1 minute. All other scrappers are running 2v2+ smallscale support builds while relying on someone else to kill things. They are useless in 1v1 except just plain surviving. I meet more dangerous zerg built scourges in 1v1 fights, if they got the skills to back it up.

Holosmith are far from common 1v1. Just like the meta scrapper, they excel in smallscale - except instead of support bunker support, they run stunlock dps.

Soulbeasts are one of the most common 1v1 engagements, even though I will agree that most arent that good. They are most lethal in +1 situations, cant focus another player with a dps soulbeast hammering you. But I've still seen good duelists.

Also I find it incredibly amusing that you dont say a word about spellbreakers, one of the most common random roamers. Berserkers have also taken hold. Core warrior? Hahaha... They're about as rare as a 1v1 built scrappers.

No mention about the DH either, they are fairly common and capable in 1v1 for those that can play it. Firebrands mostly stick to smallscaling and up with zerg builds similar to the meta scrapper - cant kill them, they cant kill a kitten.

No mention about the thief either. They're not as common as before, but daredevils and deadeyes still exist.

A scrapper telling me that...scrapper is not that common, so you must be another "victim" of a +1 from a pewpew ranger and now come to vent on the forum after seeing his barrier spam build finally hit the ground....it's all the same in the end, the forum is the same circlejerk

@Arheundel.6451 said:

@Arheundel.6451 said:1) Scrapper - broken beyond reason ...nothing more to add2) Holosmisth3) One shot s/s heralds4) Core wars5) Power chrono/mirages6) Power reapers

one
other scrapper worth his salt in a 1v1. A p/p scrapper that I just saw for about 1 minute. All other scrappers are running 2v2+ smallscale support builds while relying on someone else to kill things. They are useless in 1v1 except just plain surviving. I meet more dangerous zerg built scourges in 1v1 fights, if they got the skills to back it up.

A scrapper telling me that...scrapper is not that common, so you must be another "victim" of a +1 from a pewpew ranger and now come to vent on the forum after seeing his barrier spam build finally hit the ground....it's all the same in the end, the forum is the same kittenNo I use my kitten eyes. 9 out of 10 scrappers I see use meta hammer bunkers and while it's fantastic in smallscale to support dps, it's trash 1v1. This isnt sPvP. You dont win by standing on a 4m wide circle and tank for 5 minutes. Only a few use condi builds. If there's any marauder hammer scrappers I've not personally seen them for a long, long time. Nor any rifle builds as of late. What exactly is it you meet that's so great 1v1 if it deserve the number one spot and is apparently the one class you encounter every time? To me its sounds more like you're having a problem fighting scrappers and just came and made this list after being the "victim" of another bunker scrapper you couldnt touch? See how easy that is to say. Rangers are generally no threat unless its +1 or as I said, really good duelist which are rare.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

one

A scrapper telling me that...scrapper is not that common, so you must be another "victim" of a +1 from a pewpew ranger and now come to vent on the forum after seeing his barrier spam build finally hit the ground....it's all the same in the end, the forum is the same kittenNo I use my kitten eyes. 9 out of 10 scrappers I see use meta hammer bunkers and while it's fantastic in smallscale to support dps, it's trash 1v1. This isnt sPvP. You dont win by standing on a 4m wide circle and tank for 5 minutes. Only a few use condi builds. If there's any marauder hammer scrappers I've not personally seen them for a long, long time. Nor any rifle builds as of late. What exactly is it you meet that's so great 1v1 if it deserve the number one spot and is apparently the one class you encounter every time? To me its sounds more like you're having a problem fighting scrappers and just came and made this list after being the "victim" of another bunker scrapper you couldnt touch? See how easy that is to say. Rangers are generally no threat unless its +1 or as I said, really good duelist which are rare.

That's the whole point of my comments, I was talking about frequency of appearance, the list makes it look like there are ranger duellists behind every corner but we both know the truth...it's not that easy to be a good duellist on a ranger in the given meta atm as it's mush easier to spot any of the classes I have mentioned previously...yes it's a good duel class..in those rare occasions you actually 1v1 anyone which 9 times out of 10 becomes a 1vsX and forget even the last part.

There is no ranger spec atm where you give up at first sight....ranger it's the easiest class to kill 1v1 in wvw...the easiest unless you face the 0.01 of the GW2 community using a ranger and in that case you may lose against a ranger 1v1.

Is ranger a good/decent class which can be great in the right hands?...Hell yeahIs ranger as faceroll as engi/warrior in the roaming scene?...Sorry no and that's the reason you see a hundred holosmiths and as you have correctly pointed out..hundreds of spellbreakers strenght

If I can kill any class with a tempest...there is no way in hell such class is OP...now way in hell, let's point out the real culprits..unless you want me to make a 10 hrs video showing the frequency of appearance of ranger duellists respect to wars and engi...

P.S reading the OP again..He refers to ganking more than anything else and in that case I can agree with him as ranger have the pewpew sic'em and that's all they have, their other builds are mediocre at best and people know that..including the OP who hasn't lost once to rangers in his videos

@Arheundel.6451 said:

one

That's the whole point of my comments, I was talking about
frequency of appearance
, the list makes it look like there are ranger duellists behind every corner but we both know the truth...it's not that easy to be a good duellist on a ranger in the given meta atm as it's mush easier to spot any of the classes I have mentioned previously...yes it's a good duel class..in those rare occasions you actually 1v1 anyone which 9 times out of 10 becomes a 1vsX and forget even the last part.

There is no ranger spec atm where you give up at first sight....
ranger it's the easiest class to kill 1v1 in wvw...the easiest
unless you face the 0.01 of the GW2 community using a ranger and in that case you may lose against a ranger 1v1.

Is ranger a good/decent class which can be great in the right hands?...Hell yeahIs ranger as faceroll as engi/warrior in the roaming scene?...Sorry no and that's the reason you see a hundred holosmiths and as you have correctly pointed out..hundreds of spellbreakers strenght

If I can kill any class with a tempest...there is no way in hell such class is OP...now way in hell, let's point out the real culprits..unless you want me to make a 10 hrs video showing the frequency of appearance of ranger duellists respect to wars and engi...

P.S reading the OP again..He refers to ganking more than anything else and in that case I can agree with him as ranger have the pewpew sic'em and that's all they have, their other builds are mediocre at best and people know that..including the OP who hasn't lost once to rangers in his videos

You might want to read the OP a third time because it's refering to roaming classes 5 months ago. Rangers (and thieves) where literally behind every corner and one of the most prominent roamers while the scrapper was nearly non-existent in that scene, holo had complete dominance for the engie and it still does. The entire thread is to poll how it is now in comparison to that. Things have shifted a bit, of course we see more peeps that run scrappers and berserkers now. But it's not like rangers are rare. Soulbeasts are a constant presence, people run them for a reason and it's its not because they are easy to kill, that's a silly claim. People run what they consider effective or they wouldnt run it at all. Hell I even saw a druid today. He died though. Burned to death. Sad story.

@Dawdler.8521 said:Lol.

In almost a month I've literally seen one other scrapper worth his salt in a 1v1. A p/p scrapper that I just saw for about 1 minute. All other scrappers are running 2v2+ smallscale support builds while relying on someone else to kill things. They are useless in 1v1 except just plain surviving. I meet more dangerous zerg built scourges in 1v1 fights, if they got the skills to back it up.

I am running P/P scrapper for at least a month now, roaming solo and having a blast with my condi build (Elona reach), so if it wasn't me that you've seen (unfortunately it was now quite some time since we had our last fight I think) there would be at least 2 p/p scrappers around :)

But you are absolutely right, I encountered only very few scrappers and most of them were running as supporters in smallscale. 1-2 changed their class to scrapper after getting killed by me just do again die, so it is not just a blind button-Smash-class but it is currently really a veery strong condition class. I think what makes it really strong is that it has no specific Counter (a lot of condi removal, a lot of damage mitigation, a lot of superspeed and invisibility). So I would probably rank it into the top 2 regarding its POTENTIAL strenght.

@Prinzsecond.4863 said:1-2 changed their class to scrapper after getting killed by me just do again die, so it is not just a blind button-Smash-class

People will claim that about every class that kills them with no regards to anything else. Its always herp derp anyone win on that and then they utterly fail themselves with that class when going up against someone with thousands of hours on that same class. What a twist.

These kind of polls, where professions are evaluated AGAINST each other instead of using a general scale, are pointless. The poll makes it look like Mesmers and Rangers are considerably better than Revs or Warriors at impromptu 1vs1, when the reality in nothing like that.As long as we consider bursty builds and we assume the player knows the profession, all of them can be super effective at impromptu duels, even necros.

Also, the experience tends to be the funny. Most people running Mesmer or Ranger copy the build they find in webs and repeat the bursts they see in youtube, but as soon as you get around them they become free bags fighting worse than PvE mobs. Meanwhile, a lot of core guards, eles or Reapers roaming alone are real threads you shouldn't overestimate.

I voted based on potential, meaning what I see is possible in 1vs1 duels with guild mates that main them, not random encounters in WvW, as most don't know how to do a proper build, and even if they did, most can not even come close to playing them to their potential.

It's why balance should never be done based on the average player, but the highest skilled players. As the average player, the fights can be so random, and the better build/class can actually lose. While in the higher ranks of skilled players, a clear line starts to show and often times is very consistent in outcomes, some exceptions being a purpose built build/class vs a hard counter build.

@"Noha.3749" said:Community voting for best/worst profession:Worst -> "My profession"Best - > "What counters my profession best"

This might be true to an extent. In the end we're all voting on personal experience.

I voted a Engineer as #1 because they are inherently tanky for their damage output, have access to a lot of blast healing, barrier, superspeed & CC which is pretty much the perfect way to deal with a pew pew ranger. I don't know how it'd perform against, say, a tanky condi build. Warrior was my second pick, followed by ranger. Mesmer was my fourth pick, it amuses me they're #1 on this poll. Similarly I put necro at the bottom, they're basically free bags for rangers at no fault of their own.

~ Kovu

Not really possible to give a meaningful ranking here from my perspective; classes differ significantly on the elite spec alone, not to mention the rest of the build. Ranger is very high in the rankings but fighting a power soulbeast is completely different to a bunker druid for example.

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:

@Duckota.4769 said:Thief is the worst duelist in the game so I think the original poll says more about the average skill levels of players being polled and not the OPness of said classes.

I love hearing blatantly false statements like this.

Hey we ALL know that thief is the worst duellist but best zerging class, thats why all zergs compose of 60% thieves!But I have to admit that I did not Encounter any decent thieves in the past weeks anymore after their nerf . The class was very strong before but not OP (IMHO). But they can still pack a Punch and pose a thread in roaming.