reduce weapon swap to 5 sec for all professions

Stand The Wall.6987

I'm conflicted.

As a revenant, it's less time stuck on staff.

As a thief, there's no benefit to this idea.

As any other class, I suspect there will be some really work intensive meta rotations that will make my fingers bleed more than they already do. That's a bad thing in my book, but your milage my vary...

Remove weapon swap CD entirely. Give weapon swap a 0.75s cast.Elementalist and Engineer kits retain instant swap.All other profession-based "form changes" (i.e. Photon Forge, pet merge, Berserker mode, Druid mode, etc) all receive a 0.75s activation respectively.

• 2 weeks later...

@Sobx.1758 said:

@Edge.8724 said:I feel that this post is trying to be a troll.

Sadly it's not. Players like this actually exist. Check his discussion history.

Funny how even after checking someone's post history you failed to realize what's the context of creating this thread. :anguished:

The context can be summed up like this,

! Knighthonor!Anput!Hitman!Eremiteangel (is a nice person so I regret comparing to these others)!Standthewall

@Sobx.1758 said:

@"Westenev.5289" said:As a thief, there's no benefit to this idea.

What? Why? <.<

Since inititive is universal between weaponsets, which generally promotes "One Main Weapon + Shortbow" synergy. I could see some synergy with Quick Pockets (in the Trickery Traitline, which has an icd of 8 seconds), but on hit-sigils are generally on 9 second internal cooldowns anyway.

Since I don't take Trickery in PvE (my primary game mode), I wouldn't see the need in taking a 2nd weaponset over my shortbow (outside of niche situations) because most thief weapons are, for the most part, multipurpose. When I need to take my shortbow out (especially in WvW or PvP), things have hit the fan, so I'm rarely watching the cooldown wishing... "man, I wish this was faster..."

Perhaps a better thief with better inititive management could make use of a 5 second weapon cooldown, but it would be useless for me.

@Justine.6351 said:

@Edge.8724 said:I feel that this post is trying to be a troll.

Sadly it's not. Players like this actually exist. Check his discussion history.

Funny how even after checking someone's post history you failed to realize what's the context of creating this thread. :anguished:

The context can be summed up like this,

! Knighthonor!Anput!Hitman!Eremiteangel (is a nice person so I regret comparing to these others)!Standthewall

Great non-answer.Also no. :sleeping:

• Confused 1

@Westenev.5289 said:

@Westenev.5289 said:As a thief, there's no benefit to this idea.

What? Why? <.<

Since inititive is universal between weaponsets, which generally promotes "One Main Weapon + Shortbow" synergy. I could see some synergy with Quick Pockets (in the Trickery Traitline, which has an icd of 8 seconds), but on hit-sigils are generally on 9 second internal cooldowns anyway.

Since I don't take Trickery in PvE (my primary game mode), I wouldn't see the need in taking a 2nd weaponset over my shortbow (outside of niche situations) because most thief weapons are, for the most part, multipurpose. When I need to take my shortbow out (especially in WvW or PvP), things have hit the fan, so I'm rarely watching the cooldown wishing... "man, I wish this was faster..."

Perhaps a better thief with better inititive management could make use of a 5 second weapon cooldown, but it would be useless for me.

So not useless for a thief, but maybe useless for you :p It's more of a situational thing, but you had something in mind while writing that and that actually makes sense, ty for the answer

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm an engineer, so weapon swap need not apply. 1s kit swap cooldown.

@fluidmonolith.3584 said:I'd rather see no cooldown on weapon swap, but instead a 0.5 sec cast time. Warrior's Fast Hands can reduce it to 0.25 sec.This would make it more like an action or fps game.

It used to be instant in beta, but they changed it because of how fast engineers were stowing kits using the swap weapon key.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:Only if all other profession mechanics were offered to all other professions, e.g. if Eles can swap attunements every 5 seconds, then Wars should get to swap from Fire to Air to Water to Earth, too.

Don't overload the brains of poor Warrior players. They might get confused when they have to press more than 3 different buttons.

@"Stand The Wall.6987" said:so is there one solid argument against this other than "b 2 stronk"?

So you post something, you see all the answers and you have this very child like reaction? The same “argument” can be made for your suggestion (just change it cuz lol why not). Nobody who voted in favor commented on why it will be better.

My answer is NO.First of all, for convenience. The current on swap talents are designed around this 9s window. So when you swap you have the talent ready. This makes it easy to understand for any player and makes some talents more balanced. Will all the talents be redesigned for this 5s window? All the bonuses on swap will be halfed or stay the same ? Quick draw on ranger can already be strong.Why do we change weapon? For rotations or to adapt to a situation. I cannot guess how it will affect rotations here, maybe players will find a use of this shorter swap, but those I know go slightly above the 9s mark. From a balance perspective.Shorter cd does not encourage smarter gameplay : (also it favors more some classes than others) A thief on shortbow who decides to engage with dagger or sword when he should not will just dodge twice OR use the dodge on his weapon twice OR daggerstorm and already have shortbow available to run away. Players do not understand the game better if they can do whatever they want.Shorter cd does not open counterplay : I am going to pick my longbow / sword ranger as an example. What is the best option vs a longbow player? Getting on top of the LB user. In pvp if I open sword, swap to longbow and a warrior jumps on me then I have to back fast, there will be a few seconds where I cannot fight because I need to heal and am blocked by the war. With the shorter cd I can go stealth on LB 3 and I already am ready to have my sword to gain distance or fight him without any drawback. If I open with LB and go to sword when I cannot engage, I am ready faster to hit again. So you allow me to kite and do dmg all day when the war is going to be more limited by his cd to catch me.

@aymnad.9023 said:So you post something, you see all the answers and you have this very child like reaction?The current on swap talents are designed around this 9s window.Why do we change weapon? For rotations or to adapt to a situation.Shorter cd does not encourage smarter gameplay :Shorter cd does not open counterplay :

childlike reaction? haha dood settle. this isn't healthcare we're arguing over.obviously some traits would have to be changed and some weapon cds increased, not like it would be that hard. high mobility would see a boost vs pure melee, but a class like thief can already disengage at will. allowing it more control over the fight wouldn't matter much since they already have many times more control then other classes. classes with a ranged weapon would be able to adapt just like the mobile kiter, so thief vs engi wouldn't see a difference of result. faster weapon swap means you can adapt to a situation much quicker, for example if you're fighting someone and someone else jumps in. I don't think shorter weap swap makes gameplay makes combat smarter or dumber, it just changes the pace and speeds up the result. good point about ranged and kiting. ranger would get stronger then it already is with its high ranged damage and good mobility, so something would have to be changed.

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:

@aymnad.9023 said:So you post something, you see all the answers and you have this very child like reaction?
The current on swap talents are designed around this 9s window.
Why do we change weapon? For rotations or to adapt to a situation.
Shorter cd does not encourage smarter gameplay :
Shorter cd does not open counterplay :

childlike reaction? haha dood settle. this isn't healthcare we're arguing over.obviously some traits would have to be changed and some weapon cds increased, not like it would be that hard. high mobility would see a boost vs pure melee, but a class like thief can already disengage at will. allowing it more control over the fight wouldn't matter much since they already have many times more control then other classes. classes with a ranged weapon would be able to adapt just like the mobile kiter, so thief vs engi wouldn't see a difference of result. faster weapon swap means you can adapt to a situation much quicker, for example if you're fighting someone and someone else jumps in. I don't think shorter weap swap makes gameplay makes combat smarter or dumber, it just changes the pace and speeds up the result. good point about ranged and kiting. ranger would get stronger then it already is with its high ranged damage and good mobility, so something would have to be changed.

How about those with no swaps, that is if all traits were perfectly adjusted?