What's a lore figure that summoned "Demons" instead of undead but was a physical fighter

Knighthonor.4061

What's a lore figure that summoned "Demons" instead of undead like Necromancers but was a physical fighter as well such as a Warrior. Something closer to W/N in original GW2, but with Demon themed creatures instead of Undead. I know current era Necromancers dont really deal with Undead anymore but their creatures still not demons. Looking specifically for a Warrior like Fighter with magic in Demon invoking. Any lore figures like this come to mind?

@"Aaron Ansari.1604" said:Varesh Ossa? She was a dervish at the time, but that's the closest you're going to get. Not much demon summoning in the franchise, and what is there is mostly necromancers.

Ok thanks. The wiki say she was a Margonite, which is a type of Demon right? I wonder if there are different kinds of margonites or if Varesh could have some connections to other types of demons than just Margonite.

Right, so, Margonites were humans- Abaddon worshippers- who were turned into demons by his 'blessings'. For most of the campaign, Varesh is human herself. She creates Margonites out of her own troops- and slowly transforms into one herself- but she also performs rituals that weaken Abaddon's bonds and allow him to send a couple kinds of demon through to Tyria; in that sense, she 'summons' both older Margonites and 'torment creatures'.

Other than Varesh, which is questionable in of itself for what you describe in the OP, there really a mortal who commands demons. Certainly not the same way a necromancer does its minions. Arguably you can count Khilbron with Varesh, but both command demonic troops (Titans and Margonites respectively) because of Abaddon's alliances with the Dreadspawn Maw (Torment Creatures), Dhuum (Titans), and Menzies (Nightmares/Darknesses). They're less a "figure that summoned demons" and more a general of a god who had demonic troops.

Other than that, the closest thing I could think of would be cases like some Stone Summit summoning Glacius or trapping Ignius in a summoning stone. But this is more of a "classic cult demon summoning" more than a wizard who summons demons on a regular basis.

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:Other than Varesh, which is questionable in of itself for what you describe in the OP, there really a mortal who commands demons. Certainly not the same way a necromancer does its minions. Arguably you can count Khilbron with Varesh, but both command demonic troops (Titans and Margonites respectively) because of Abaddon's alliances with the Dreadspawn Maw (Torment Creatures), Dhuum (Titans), and Menzies (Nightmares/Darknesses). They're less a "figure that summoned demons" and more a general of a god who had demonic troops.

Other than that, the closest thing I could think of would be cases like some Stone Summit summoning Glacius or trapping Ignius in a summoning stone. But this is more of a "classic cult demon summoning" more than a wizard who summons demons on a regular basis.

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Vizier_KhilbronReading his page he dont seem to have a fighter background. More of a Scholar origin. But I noticed something at the bottom of that page.

Terickhttps://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/TerickWho is a warrior that's really a demon. But I like the description you had of a general that leads demon troops.Between Khilbron and Varesh, Varesh has a more fighter background. But if you know somebody else that fits that description please share. They dont have to be human either. Just a fighter background and lead demons.

Varesh is definitely one that fits this background since Varesh is, for the most part, human with demons summoned using Abaddon's blessings. Margonites don't become demons unless they are fully transformed by Abaddon like Varesh (as per lore, Margonites were originally human sailors who were transformed by Abaddon)

The other person to come to mind is Shiro Tagachi. Unlike Varesh, Shiro didn't transform into a demon, instead he died but became a powerful spirit. Shiro is basically a human who stole Emperor Angyisan's soul using dark magic. This dark magic became amplified by the soul (as it was blessed by Dwayna) and therefore caused the Jade Wind (Revenants use a weaker version of this not amplified by Angyisan's soul). He was then turned into an Envoy of the Mist, criminals that died who are forced to ferry people into the afterlife by the Oracle of the Mist. Envoys can't use their powers unless it is to deal with ferrying souls despite being powerful (Herald Demrikov states this, hence why they can't fight Shiro, but they can deal with him after we defeat Shiro in Factions) but Shiro can use his because of the Emperor's soul. He created the Afflicted first with this power (by making a plague that turned people into the Afflicted) and afterwards, he created demonic constructs, the Shiro'ken (souls bound into constructs made of differing materials, think Balthazar's forged but less metal, more flesh).

His profession is officially Assassin so he is a physical fighter and he fought with dual blades rather than daggers, fitting for the Revenant dual sword build.

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:I wouldn't call Shiro'ken "demonic". They were constructs made of bone and metal, and made mobile by imprisoned souls (much like the Forged, in fact). While Afflicted were basically a unique form of undead.

Quote marks to me shows that "Demonic" is a loose term. Plus Shiro'ken look exactly like demons.

@ChronoPinoyX.7923 said:

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:I wouldn't call Shiro'ken "demonic". They were constructs made of bone and metal, and made mobile by imprisoned souls (much like the Forged, in fact). While Afflicted were basically a unique form of undead.

Quote marks to me shows that "Demonic" is a loose term. Plus Shiro'ken look exactly like demons.

What quote marks means depends on context. In this context, I was quoting the term you used.

Shiro'ken may have a demonic appearance, arguably, but that doesn't change the fact that they're not actually related to demons in any way, shape, or form.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:I wouldn't call Shiro'ken "demonic". They were constructs made of bone and metal, and made mobile by imprisoned souls (much like the Forged, in fact). While Afflicted were basically a unique form of undead.

What quote marks means depends on context. In this context, I was quoting the term you used.

Shiro'ken may have a demonic appearance, arguably, but that doesn't change the fact that they're not actually related to demons in any way, shape, or form.

Yeah I went by the term OP is using which is "Demon themed" no necessarily Demon demons.

• 2 weeks later...

@"Knighthonor.4061" said:What's a lore figure that summoned "Demons" instead of undead like Necromancers but was a physical fighter as well such as a Warrior. Something closer to W/N in original GW2, but with Demon themed creatures instead of Undead. I know current era Necromancers dont really deal with Undead anymore but their creatures still not demons. Looking specifically for a Warrior like Fighter with magic in Demon invoking. Any lore figures like this come to mind?

Necromancer minions are entirely undead. The key thing is player necromancers in GW1 and GW2 hardly, if ever at all, use humanoid/clearly human/sapient race looking minions. Both games necromancers heavily deal with undead though.

The shade can be somewhat considered along the lines of demons, but it's not really the same thing.

Being honest there are no real figures in GW that summon demons, there are some who lead demonic forces but not really any who actively summon demonic figures and control them. The only one I can really think of who might sorta fit that bill would be the Charr who was working with fleshreavers in Gw1, and maybe Varesh as others said.

What's the context of the question?

It feels like you're looking for a revenant legend, in which case Varesh or Kanaxai could both work.

In Varesh's case, she certainly does a lot of demon summoning, primarily of Margonites but of other Torment demons as well. Strictly speaking, it was Abaddon who was sending them to her, but if it's a revenant legend, such technicalities might not really matter. The main problem there would be that we already have an Abaddon-linked legend.

In Kanaxai's case... he was really only associated with oni from a demonic perspective. Most of the other stuff in the Deep is beefed-up examples of other Jade Sea wildlife.

@ChronoPinoyX.7923 said:

Nah, they're actually mostly modelled off Canthan creatures. Rangers were based off Tengu, monks off kirin, necromancers off mantids, mesmers off phoenixes, elementalists off Saltsprays, ritualists off nagas, and melee Shiro'ken are based off humanoid armour.

I'm not sure I'd call Afflicted undead per se - the mechanics for someone becoming an Afflicted on-screen was basically that they 'died' and got back up again, but I always had the impression that lorewise they were still technically alive, just heavily mutated and driven insane.

• 2 months later...

@draxynnic.3719 said:What's the context of the question?

It feels like you're looking for a revenant legend, in which case Varesh or Kanaxai could both work.

In Varesh's case, she certainly does a lot of demon summoning, primarily of Margonites but of other Torment demons as well. Strictly speaking, it was Abaddon who was sending them to her, but if it's a revenant legend, such technicalities might not really matter. The main problem there would be that we already have an Abaddon-linked legend.

In Kanaxai's case... he was really only associated with oni from a demonic perspective. Most of the other stuff in the Deep is beefed-up examples of other Jade Sea wildlife.

Nah, they're actually mostly modelled off Canthan creatures. Rangers were based off Tengu, monks off kirin, necromancers off mantids, mesmers off phoenixes, elementalists off Saltsprays, ritualists off nagas, and melee Shiro'ken are based off humanoid armour.

I'm not sure I'd call Afflicted undead per se - the mechanics for someone becoming an Afflicted on-screen was basically that they 'died' and got back up again, but I always had the impression that lorewise they were still technically alive, just heavily mutated and driven insane.

ok this helped me out a lot. everything in this thread. thank you all