[Spoilers] Terrible story

When I saw Aurene get resurected in first instance I just Alt+F4 the game. If you are gonna bring her back at least don't do it immediately, what was the point of her dying if she is instantly back. Terrible story telling. You kill a quality villain in the first fight (Joko) and bring back a mute dragon (which yes speaks now) that had no character to it but was just liked by people because it looked cute and shinned. Not sure if I'll even play this episode now maybe if Taimi dies I will. Does she?

• Like 2

I hadn't cared about the story in this game in a long time until the previous chapter that finally had some real consequence for the Commander with an unknown path ahead. Aurene had been built up for a long time and her death was a real consequence to actions taken. The Commander suffered a real loss and this would have expanded the character.

But nope. All undone within the first 2mins of this chapter. Once again, the charge in head-first Commander has zero consequences for any action. There's no depth or reason to care and we're immediately back on the path of predictability. Commander will always come out on top, there will never be any real story with consequences that matter. The Commander is completely unrelatable. Just a generic hero that has everything go right.After Aurene immediately resurrected, I stopped paying attention to the story, I don't care because they give no reason to care. Instead watching TV, just going where they tell me and hitting next on cinema scenes when I can to get it over with just so I can to get to the mount.

The point was she never actually died, that's why they didn't drag out her death waiting for some Ex machina to bring her back.Death to mortals like the commander is a big deal, because it seems like the end. But to a dragon, it's the end of the beginning. Death is nothing to be afraid of, Aurene And Kralk literally say this in the final instance.

Also she ate Joko, what the heck did people actually expect????? This isn't Death Note, not every story has to have some super uber mega plot twist that makes you question your own existence, nor does every story needs to be that convoluted to be good writing. Sometimes people go overboard with speculation when the answer is literally right in front of you. Stop overthinking things. If you want some mind-shattering plot, go read a book, watch a film, or play SP games.

@MMOStein.3872 said:The point was she never actually died, that's why they didn't drag out her death waiting for some Ex machina to bring her back.Death to mortals like the commander is a big deal, because it seems like the end. But to a dragon, it's the end of the beginning. Death nothing to be afraid of Aurene And Kralk literally say this in the final instance.

Also she ate Joko, what the heck did people actually expect????? This isn't Death Note, not every story has to have some super uber mega plot twist that makes you question your own existence, nor does every story needs to be that convoluted to be good writing. Sometimes people go overboard with speculation when the answer is literally right in front of you. Stop overthinking things. If you want some mind-shattering plot, go read a book, watch a film, or play SP games.

Just because it is a MMO doesn't means bad story telling is acceptable. No reason to encourage mediocrity. They have so far been putting most of their effort into Living Story Episodes, that is why WvW and PvP and such a bad state. I expect at least story to be good if that is their main focus.

Oh and I expected Joko to rip out of Aurenes stomack, since he is immortal and even if cut into pieces he reforms back into full state.

@McPero.3287 said:

@"MMOStein.3872" said:The point was
she never actually died,
that's why they didn't drag out her death waiting for some Ex machina to bring her back.Death to mortals like the commander is a big deal, because it seems like the end. But to a dragon,
it's the end of the beginning.
Death nothing to be afraid of Aurene And Kralk literally say this in the final instance.

Just because it is a MMO doesn't means bad story telling is acceptable. No reason to encourage mediocrity. They have so far been putting most of their effort into Living Story Episodes, that is why WvW and PvP and such a bad state. I expect at least story to be good if that is their main focus.

The story being mediocre or not is our(your) opinion, not fact. The actual writing here is sound from a storytelling perspective (clear setting/rising action/climax/etc). Many people will enjoy the story and be very satisfied with the end of S4. A story doesn't have to please any one person for it to = "good writing."

Again, many people are just upset there wasn't some huge deus ex machina moment (like every story needs one for some reason...) And they are just disappointed the resolution was the obvious one that was clearly setup like 3 episodes ago.

my main gripe is the voice acting.. aurenes voice is SO unfitting. she sounds like taimi or another female voice that is over used. also we keep hearing the same voice actors being used for multiple characters.. i keep hearing braham have conversations with himself as the voice actor doesnt really change his accent across characters. they have so many characters but only a small handful of people voicing them. its immersion breaking for me.as for the story ,iv never been into it..for over 6 years its been mediocre to me.

@zealex.9410 said:

@zealex.9410 said:Sounds disappointing. All that talk of "character death" only to bring her back the nexr episode lul.

thought it was pretty obvious with eating jako.

Still, its kinda funny how it all happened for 1 episode.

Barely even that. 2 mins and "oh yeah Joko" and that was it off we went with no further care or interest. Don't worry because the dialogue in the final instance tops it for dodginess.

I loved the map, but I don't think I've hated a story sequence more in the LW and considering it is up against Kourna and the previous episode, I am amazed how much I despised it.

Suddenly throwing in the humanising of an Eldritch, unfathomable creature is fan fiction - this is not writing reflective of a professional writing team in my eyes.

Please, we had to wait, like 5 months? You really wanted it to drag out? The solution was obvious, and it was an option of many tbh.The story surprised me in several ways: Amount of humor, the first fight with Kralk, and the fight INSIDE Kralk, which gave us an insight in Kralk's mindset, something we rarely get to see.If I want to have disappointing writing in an ungoing series containing Dragons, I'm looking at Game of Thrones.

@McPero.3287 said:

@MMOStein.3872 said:The point was
she never actually died,
that's why they didn't drag out her death waiting for some Ex machina to bring her back.Death to mortals like the commander is a big deal, because it seems like the end. But to a dragon,
Death nothing to be afraid of Aurene And Kralk literally say this in the final instance.

Oh and I expected Joko to rip out of Aurenes stomack, since he is immortal and even if cut into pieces he reforms back into full state.

EXACTLY!

If Joko's magic brought her back from THAT kind of damage all fine, then where the kitten is Joko who pretty much invented that magic!?

@MMOStein.3872 said:

she never actually died,

The story being mediocre or not is
our(your) opinion,
not fact. The actual writing here is sound from a storytelling perspective (clear setting/rising action/climax/etc). Many people will enjoy the story and be very satisfied with the end of S4. A story doesn't have to please any one person for it to = "good writing."

Again, many people are just upset there wasn't some huge deus ex machina moment (like every story needs one for some reason...) And they are just disappointed the resolution was the obvious one that was clearly setup like 3 episodes ago.

Well considering there isn't really a good way to measure what is good story telling with facts I think opinions will just about have to do it. It is also my opinion WvW and PvP are in a bad state, there is no way to prove it with neutral objective science. And it seems to me that many people are disappointed with the story, since last episode ended so promising that we might actually get an interesting story not something predictable with an dull happy ending again.

@Kylden Ar.3724 said:

she never actually died,

EXACTLY!

If Joko's magic brought her back from THAT kind of damage all fine, then where the kitten is Joko
who pretty much invented that magic!?

Sorry, but what? Joko's body is immortal because of his magic. Dragon eats magic, absorbs that power. Why is her bodily damage too much to revive from? You said it yourself. If Aurene was cut into pieces she would come back from that too.

@McPero.3287 said:When I saw Aurene get resurected in first instance I just Alt+F4 the game.

...and missed out on the BEST story content ANet has provided since GW1!

I laughed my lungs out, I cried at the beauty of the finale's presentation, I got goosebumps throughout the whole thing that refused to stop. This was high-end quality story-telling (compared to a big portion of this game so far). I am talking movie quality. Wish it had been twice as long, though - I didn't want it to end, that's how good it was. <3

@Blocki.4931 said:

she never actually died,

EXACTLY!

If Joko's magic brought her back from THAT kind of damage all fine, then where the kitten is Joko
who pretty much invented that magic!?

Sorry, but what? Joko's body is immortal because of his magic. Dragon eats magic, absorbs that power. Why is her bodily damage too much to revive from? You said it yourself. If Aurene was cut into pieces she would come back from that too.

Well Joko should stay alive inside of Aurene in the first place so she can't really absorb his magic can she? So he would probably make his way out of her body, killing her in the process.