Extremely Bad Ping

Also from NZ and have been having massive ping issues since middle of last week - it's definitely not the connection because everything else runs fine - it's only GW2 that is suffering and it's usually starting during Teq (which is a problem because myself and a friend suffering the same issues are in a Teq guild) and remains sporadic over the rest of the evening

Tuning in after thread updates to say that Pingzapper (VPN of sorts, on a 7 day trial atm) is working well and seems to alleviate the issue... back in the 280-350 region by tunneling through a sydney server. But these are only initial reports. Disabled the VPN just now to see if it was placebo or not and sure enough I'm back at 700 with no Black Lion Trading Co. and awful combat lag...

I used Pingplotter as well and results were similar to the post above, huge packet loss through vocus IPs. So yeah... issue seems to be with Vocus NZ (telco that many NZ ISPs go through). Hoping that issues get sorted out before my trial expires, but 5 bucks a month isn't toooo bad...

Edit: can say with confidence now that a VPN makes huge improvements. No doubt.
Without VPN: Ping: 600 (Avg: 1,672) https://i.imgur.com/DxHxeU1.jpgWith VPN: Ping: 293 (Avg: 319) No disconnect messages, all normal https://i.imgur.com/g3gB2nd.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

@Chilli.2976 said:

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:Try a VPN and see if you still have issue.Contact your ISP and show them your results.Contact the CS Team and show them your results, so they can contact the Tier 1 backbone.

Good luck.

Okay, so I just used a VPN and seems like the ping has stabilized, though I should not need to use a VPN.

This sounds very similar to the issue I was having back when ANet made the move to Amazon servers (around the same time that PoF released). I eventually deduced that the culprit was one of the "international" servers that ANet/Amazon was making me connect through as a non-US based player, because if I used a VPN (and thus bypassing whatever intermediate server I was being forced to connect through and instead be connected as any other US player), the lag spikes would vanish. My actual ping didn't improve, of course, but the higher than normal latency and lag spikes would be gone.

In the years since, the issue has somewhat stabilized so I don't need to use a VPN constantly to play, but it does still occasionally rear its head. While I agree that we, as SEA and OCX gamers, shouldn't be forced to use a VPN in order to get reliable connections, we don't know the economic/technical realities at ANet that might force them to use Amazon. Perhaps one day they'll switch to a better provider, but until then at least we have a recourse available to us in the form of free VPN services.