[merged] About the Skyscale Timegate...

@"Ayakaru.6583" said:While I'm no fan of time gating as it feels arbitrary, i don't think it's as bad as a lot of people make it out to be.They're just preventing people from being done on day 1.I mean, even the story could be finished by in an hour.

Maybe next time they shouldn't say that the mount is available "today" and just be real with us honestly.

The whole argument of "well would you rather spend 250 gold?" is a little ridiculous considering the griffon was meant to be a hidden prestige money sink type of things. This is a mount that was advertised for the patch and is actually a necessary mechanic for it so it's a lot closer to the roller beetle and warclaw. The roller beetle takes time to get, and of course there's going to be those who power through in a day but for a lot of others it takes time. Is it the biggest deal? No, but it wasn't smart considering how this was pushed as a major selling point. You can make things harder to get without putting a solid time gate on it, which does make this a lot more difficult for people that don't have hours to sink into the game. Also having the mount rental available is nice and all, but it's a major pain in the ass. I don't mind cosmetic stuff being time gated, but this feels like something you need to really appreciate a lot of stuff on the new map so it just feels a little ridiculous that out of everything they could time gate to keep people playing, they pick this.

I had little to no reason to login in the past few months because nothing is really happening and I don't like SAB stuff.Now that they gave me a little bit of incentive to login and a goal to work towards. I am actually quite happy about that.That said I've been playing quite a lot of warframe lately, which took "timegate" and "grinding" to a whole new level.

Shutting down the entire section of community who have max masteries from gaining xp and spirit shards for multiple days is ridiculous and unnecessary. I don't care if the mount is time gated, but if it's going to mess up my entire play experience, forcing me to do it asap above everything else, it bothers me a lot.

It should just be hidden until you can actually unlock it. Forcing people to not get any xp for days makes no sense and is a poor design that doesn't consider the players at all.

Not to mention anyone who isn't up to date in the story, forget all that, they'll have to spoil it just so they can try and return the game to the way it was before this update dropped on them where they could earn xp and spirit shards.

I'd like to play the game and story when I'm ready, I don't want to be forced to play it anet's way. I'm effectively being punished with lost xp and shards until I finish the latest chapter. Forced participation. I don't want the story ending yet, I want to complete other parts of the story first.

@ixora.3569 said:

@"Ayakaru.6583" said:While I'm no fan of time gating as it feels arbitrary, i don't think it's as bad as a lot of people make it out to be.They're just preventing people from being done on day 1.I mean, even the story could be finished by in an hour.

Maybe next time they shouldn't say that the mount is available "today" and just be real with us honestly.

But you can use it day 1, just not permanently. There are enough roosts on the map as well. People are extremely dramatic about this because they are used to having everything right away. Can't have it your way ALL the time.

I don't care if it's time gated or takes days or weeks to unlock.

The problem is I'm now blocked from earning xp or spirit shards in pof maps. This is absurd and incredibly bad design. Why block everyone for a set timegated amount of time.

I'm now forced to either play the content and the story above all else, even if I'm not up to that part of the story yet, just to stop being punished and losing all my xp and shards from my usual pof game play.

Really thoughtless design and makes it really hard to enjoy the content. Turns the whole thing in to a chore with a sense of urgency and loss, instead of being able to truly enjoy and appreciate the work they've done on this story content.

Way to burn all the players who have maxed their pof mastery and try to earn spirit shards.

I'm SICK of people crying in map chat and on forums about a FIVE DAY timegate on the new mount. How impatient and entitled can you be?

The timegate is going to keep the map populated for longer, people are going to be hyped for longer about getting the new mount - people are having fun figuring out the collection together, it's more of an event, etc. Imagine if we all just got the Skyscale for free at the end of the episode, great, now there's no prestige to it whatsoever, we can all abandon the gorgeous new map, and hover and derp around in DR/LA. Nice.

THE TIMEGATE IS FINE.

Agreed :+1: I said it just earlier but this new map will most likely be the next farm map. Rewards are good. Every time after a meta I end up with 80 rares and countless other unid gear. Exp is completely meaningless at the rate that we earn it anyway. Nothing "goes to waste".

I would appreciate someone explaining what the time gate is. I've only finished the scale collection so far. What is the restriction that many feel to be a problem? I'd like to know before I start so I don't do what someone said they did by finishing something 10 minutes too late and it not counting. Thanks.

and you need a thread for that?and if you did read the other threads you would recognize why people are complaining. They are not impatient, the mount blocks XP and shards for several days.

and no timegate is never fine. its cheap gamedesign and somehow makes only sence when you have a paid subscription model

@Zahme.7802 said:

@ProtoGunner.4953 said:Holy dude, just go through with the 5 days and you're done. People really overexaggerate this - as if you had to climb the K2 without an oxygen flask.

Its not 5 days if you can only play on weekends, then its 21 days ;-)

Okay granted, but then you'll be 'slow' generally. They simply can't consider every playstyle.

@"cptaylor.2670" said:

@ProtoGunner.4953 said:Lol complaining about a time gate of 5 days like there is no future... You will forget about it in 7 days you ever have done that. Get a grip and just play 10mins a day kitten.

It took me like 8 hours earlier to do this first part of the collection. And I only spent that much time because I dedicated my day to it. If you only spend 10 minutes a day to get this mount, it will most likely, if following the same pace, take weeks to get. And I used a guide for the eggs and sick Skyscale parts. For new players that don’t know where to find guides and are doing these on their own, the collections themselves could be a major turn off to the game, not to mention a lack of understanding as to why they can’t continue the rest of the collection.

Either do a long tedious collection with no time gate, or do a simplified collection with a time gate. Doing both is just drastically unnecessary.

And I’d like to further the sentiments that this kind of game design is exactly why I got absolutely sick of world of Warcraft. Just day after day of the the same fetch quests and chores with that shiny carrot on the stick. I didn’t like it with the golem backpack, but it was a cosmetic item. Wayfarer’s Henge was a cosmetic item.

Here we have a map that is heavily designed with this new mount in mind, but our only option is 1. Do over half of the story on a character if you want to be able to borrow one. 2. Borrow it, collect something or get dismounted and have to find a new one that will last one charge.

And these collections are just dull in general, at least so far. You essentially make three laps around the map looking for clickable items in abstract places while dealing with the frustration of knowing that these laps would be significantly easier if you didn’t have to backtrack or go out of your way to find a mount to borrow or just the right amount of ledge to use your springer to leap onto.

I think it gives a worse impression and creates more angst with the map than is deserved. I don’t usually agree with the statement that mounts should be solely obtained within the story, but I think for this one instance it probably would have been the better decision.

Okay, I am not your average player, since I did collection for 3 or 4 legendaries. Especially Aurora which took me a while only to find out, that I need the Mount Maelstrom collection which took me another 16 days (well about 20 with all the breaks). But you will get it eventually. MMOs are here for long term goals and a flying mount is rather prestige than other stuff in the game.

@"Stalkingwolf.6035" said:and you need a thread for that?and if you did read the other threads you would recognize why people are complaining. They are not impatient, the mount blocks XP and shards for several days.

and no timegate is never fine. its cheap gamedesign and somehow makes only sence when you have a paid subscription model

This thread is definetly more needed then the multiple "cry cry timegate gib mount" threads which we have on the frontpage.

@eldrin.6471 said:anet only released this new mount so they could sell us new skins for it.makes no sense to force people who do not like time gates and collections to jump through hoops for the privilege of buying skins from gem store.

What kind of logic is this? If they wanted that they wouldn't have given it a good dye channel :) You really make it sound like anet takes away any kind of agency from you. You are forced to buy skins. So go spend your money so they can make more features you will never use.

Makes 0 sense.

@ProtoGunner.4953 said:

@ProtoGunner.4953 said:Holy dude, just go through with the 5 days and you're done. People really overexaggerate this - as if you had to climb the K2 without an oxygen flask.

Its not 5 days if you can only play on weekends, then its 21 days ;-)

Okay granted, but then you'll be 'slow' generally. They simply can't consider every playstyle.

For which playstyle is the time gate a benefit?I only see people who doesn't care about it and people who don't like it. But I have never see a response like 'Yeahhhh time gated stufff, cheeerrs'

@"bOTEB.1573" said:What exactly we can't get on the very 1st day? (all i did yesterday was the full story + map completion)Just curious, haven't started the collection yet.

After the first two collections for the Skyscale you have to wait a day between finishing the following ones. People are mad they don't get worthless spirit shards.