[merged] About the Skyscale Timegate...

@ProverbsofHell.2307 said:I'm SICK of people crying in map chat and on forums about a FIVE DAY timegate on the new mount. How impatient and entitled can you be?

The timegate is going to keep the map populated for longer, people are going to be hyped for longer about getting the new mount - people are having fun figuring out the collection together, it's more of an event, etc. Imagine if we all just got the Skyscale for free at the end of the episode, great, now there's no prestige to it whatsoever, we can all abandon the gorgeous new map, and hover and kitten around in DR/LA. Nice.

THE TIMEGATE IS FINE.

If the map is just populated because of the time gate then the map is very bad designed. It should be populated because the map is good and fun to play ;-)

@Cristalyan.5728 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:I think it's funny someone complains about the time gate ... I guess spending 250G is more to your liking?

Hm. I think it's funny someone is able to see only the two bad options. What about
no time gate
and
no money
? Like ...... the Raptor for example?

It's an MMO ... you are going to pay in some way to keep you engaged with the game. That's what makes them work.

@ProtoGunner.4953 said:

Okay, I am not your average player, since I did collection for 3 or 4 legendaries. Especially Aurora which took me a while only to find out, that I need the Mount Maelstrom collection which took me another 16 days (well about 20 with all the breaks). But you will get it eventually. MMOs are here for long term goals and a flying mount is rather prestige than other stuff in the game.

Cool it's prestige, but the griffon wasn't like this at all. And frankly time gating stuff like this is just bad design for the issues many have expressed already. When you say that there will be a mount that will be related to the story, the hype is that we will unlock it during the story and pretty much the entire community thought that way and they did NOTHING to warn us about that, that it would be time gated to daily resets and it would take 5 days because of it, you are basically crushing the expectations of many players and creating frustanting moments during the gameplay. Being locked away from a collection for whole day because of 10 minutes isn't fun or engaging,. It doesn't make me look forward to what is coming specially when the first part was an incredibly boring fetch quest of 61 items.

Remember it's gated to daily reset, so if you take your take but you finish that 61st item , guess what you can't take you r time anymore, it's just blocked content for block sake. and there is nothing we can do about it. It's an inexcusable bad design.

They should have given us the mount DURING the story, and this whole time gated grindy and boring collection would be for something a unique mount skin for the skyscale. At least that way it would be something new and fresh and not something that makes me think if I should keep playing the game at all.

@Obtena.7952 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:I think it's funny someone complains about the time gate ... I guess spending 250G is more to your liking?

Hm. I think it's funny someone is able to see only the two bad options. What about
no time gate
and
no money

It's an MMO ... you are going to pay in some way to keep you engaged with the game. That's what makes them work.

All they managed to with this cheap design was make me want to play another game tbf. And it's a shame because otherwise it was a pretty solid work., but right now there is nothing left to do because I have no collection today , due to 10 minutes, which can just as well be blamed on the devs since I actually got booted from the map several times for no reason at all. If they want to keep people in game make them enjoy playing it. Having a big let down like this isn't one way of doing so.

I think this is a bigger indicator of binge behavior in video games. I am going to assume that anet has metrics that show that players jump on, binge the content, then go back to wvwvw fractals or where ever they prefer to be when nothing new is out. I am annoyed that the collection was lazily put together and it requires the traversal of the same areas over and over again. I will get it eventually, but am not particularly upset. This may be an indicator to the game community as a whole that anet is not investing as much into the game as before and they are using uninspired methods to force a specific result from the player base.

@Cristalyan.5728 said:

@"Trise.2865" said:How many times do we have to tell people not to blast through content in 10 minutes? to take their time and enjoy it? They never learn...

The thing about that is anet sells the living world updates on new features and contentStory(in this case) a MountA Map~~ The legendary weapon ~~(some times) a raid or fractal

They already sold the Legendary weapon. Almost 4 years ago. And they already took our money for it. How can you forget this? This weapon
does not belong to this LS episode
. It is a HoT weapon. The good part is that we can say that now HoT is a complete result. (I was close to say it is a
finished
result).

Even if you want to look at it like that i saw several people running around with the GS before I could even finish the living story and I started the living story the moment the patch dropped. Why is that a thing regardless.. imagine if anet had changed something you have to buy for the this gs and limited it to 5 per day and said you needed 100 of them for this particularly legendary but not done it for the others in the past. How would those players feel who have been unlocking legendaries on day one knowing they saved the items needed only to be gated through daily reset. It wouldn't be very appealing to players who were looking forward the most getting the new legendary would it.

ITs the fact that they have never done this with a mount before. They chose to change something thats not been a thing with any mount in the past really or so far and thats whats causing the frustration. I dont even care that it has more collections to do people who want the mount will do them but no one likes to sit around and wait. Of all the ways they could have choosen to buy more time and make this content last longer this was probably one of the worst ways to do it.

I have a email right now promoting the skysacle as main feature to "come play the living world" and you cant event unlock its base in the same day or start working on its masteries etc for several days. Its already taken me and several other friends and people more time to do the first collection than it took to complete roller and griffon almost combined.

We did this only to find out we are no where near finished and cant even progress in any way until a 24 hour reset which will happen several days in a row. Not a good feeling for the majority. I know there are some people who are super passive/ easy going who will have the "I dont mind waiting" attitude but for those were were really looking forward to the mount as one of the main feature updates of this patch its very disappointing i would think.

@Marmorix.9654 said:

@ProverbsofHell.2307 said:I'm SICK of people crying in map chat and on forums about a FIVE DAY timegate on the new mount. How impatient and entitled can you be?

The timegate is going to keep the map populated for longer, people are going to be hyped for longer about getting the new mount - people are having fun figuring out the collection together, it's more of an event, etc. Imagine if we all just got the Skyscale for free at the end of the episode, great, now there's no prestige to it whatsoever, we can all abandon the gorgeous new map, and hover and kitten around in DR/LA. Nice.

THE TIMEGATE IS FINE.

If the map is just populated because of the time gate then the map is very bad designed. It should be populated because the map is good and fun to play ;-)

Oh yeah cause I said it's populated JUST cause of the timgated? ;-))))

Nah, it's just something that helps. Most people want reasons to do things.

If you like bad design and frustrating game experiences like being locked out of something for 24h because of 10 minutes, when you had no idea there was a time gate to begin with. Yeah, it's excellent, I hope they keep doing that as people sure love how this works out. In fact we should collect 183 items in total just for the part, pressing F only 61 times is not epic or engaging enough. In fact they should just time gate random aspects of the game that way people would keep playing forever and loving how they have to wait for no reason at all for something.

How is it entitled if we want to play the content that is already in this patch but can't because they rather want us to logout and wait for the daily reset to happen. Like i don't mind doing a lot for the skyscale but making people wait for the sake of making it a little longer just feels bad.

Then the skyscale should have been a hidden easter egg mount almost like griff... oh wait.. griff can be done in a single day and nothing stops you from saving a x amount of gold per day infact I can almost promise you in 2019 it does not take you 5 days or more to get 250g you can prob get it in a day or 2 if you really farm hard and know what to do to get it. I prob have 200-400g in just junk look and mats sitting on my toons right now cause im a hoarder of such things.

Overall time gating is fine but it should never be done in a way that 100% haults progress completely players who are willing to push hard to get it faster should be rewarded for doing such.

They could have said collect x amount of various items from meta events in the different PoF maps or bounty events in different living world season 4 maps and used that as a time gate and it would have been ok because progress is not likely to reach a 100% dead stop you know that you can keep playing and keep making progress. But hitting dead stops is never an ok way to time gate.

also as some people pointed out they cant play consistently everyday so a 5 day gate like this turns into a few weeks for them.

I think it's quite sad that they had no content or saw any other way to keep players busy. Truth is that many ppl are just bored by clicking on 100+ on randomly scattered objects. Truth is that most ppl will use a guide, so the activity will be to sit and click through images on a third party website, while you get annoyed by pulling aggro of mobs that won't let you mount again. Truth is that after all of that you hit a time gate wall that wants to make many ppl to simply log off.

Are there other ppl that don't care about that? Yes, but if they don't care they would've also been fine without the time gate and mindless collections, so why do it in the first place?

@tekhiun.8653 said:

no time gate
and
no money

All they managed to with this cheap design was make me want to play another game tbf.

And you are going to pay somehow in that game too. Don't fool yourself into thinking GW2 is some exception to MMO design fundamentals.

@TheGrimm.5624 said:Try ESO crafting, 5 days is nothing, why are we talking about this? Haven't even started that yet but that's not a concern.

I think randomly putting a timegate on an aspect of the game without any warning at all is the issue. But if people enjoy that, well I hope they timegate more content in the future. Maybe the future of the game is time gating random stuff more and more. Again if people enjoy being locked out for a whole day because of a few minutes, then they should do it more. I wonder why they didn't do this since 2012, since is such a great to give out content.

The day before the update, anyone with maxed masteries could earn xp and gain spirit shards from the excess xp. Now, you get nothing, because there's a locked skyscale mastery blocking it and it won't work again until it's unlocked.

Doing the story gives large chunks of xp that is wasted as 0 until this new mastery is unlocked. Every person with maxed pof mastery is getting 0 xp now. Doing any event or any meta in pof now gives 0.

It's poor design, with no reason or legitimacy for it. Simply hide the mastery until you can actually unlock it so your xp isn't being wasted. Problem solved. Simple.

Arguments calling the lost items worthless or it's only 5 days of nothing.. it's not an excuse for a poor design that doesn't make any sense, and has no logic or reason behind it.

I mean, if you can think of a valid reason why it should be this way instead of just being fixed, please explain.

To be clear, my issue is not with a timegated mount, but with the knock on effect of the mastery not being hidden, forcing multiple days for those who can do it daily, and much longer for those that can't, of no xp in pof.

@Obtena.7952 said:And you are going to pay somehow in that game too. Don't fool yourself into thinking GW2 is some exception to MMO design fundamentals.I am definitely not paying anything since there are plenty of completely f2p games that don't this , but hey I can get tons of new content that way without being time gated. Enjoy your SkyGated mount.

@tekhiun.8653 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:And you are going to pay somehow in that game too. Don't fool yourself into thinking GW2 is some exception to MMO design fundamentals.I am definitely not paying anything since there are plenty of completely f2p games that don't this , but hey I can get tons of new content that way without being time gated.

No, you pay, you just don't know it ... here you pay with time ... MMO's always make you pay somehow.

You didn't download and install GW2 to go play some f2p pile of crap that cripples you if you don't pay ... but go ahead, have fun. Keep thinking 4 day is a long time ... then you realize you have been grinding something for weeks in a f2p steamer. No, you got this ALL figured out. :astonished:

@Marmorix.9654 said:

THE TIMEGATE IS FINE.

I do think the map is fun to play actually which is why the gating should have been worked in through completing objectives and events in the map possibly only a certain currency comes from events in certain areas and the meta in general or the bosses after the meta and you need a great deal of said different currencies or collectables from the things i just listed which will take an average player several days to do and an aggressive player a day or two at most to do.

This is one of the best designed maps anet has done imo as it incorporates HoT and PoF masteries the events and meta are based on player progress and activity (they can be triggered some what faster than other map metas. The rewards are not locked per day (as of yet im sure they will be in the future)

So the question is why is their a time gate after a 1 hour story play through and 3-5 hour collection process. in which you still don't have a base mount or cant even earn xp toward the new mount.

Griffion 250 gold 2-3 hours worth of collection work with some help from friends, can be done in 1 day

Roller almost no gold cost 2-3 hours worth of collection work if you get boss times down right with some help from friends can be done in 1 day at most 2 days

Warclaw (from some one who was not a wvw main) 2-4 hours of work, took me about 2.5 hours to get the base mount thanks to the event that was running at the time, could be done in 1 day at the time of its release the only thing that really held people back were q times which is a separate issue. Now can still prob be done in a day but you need help from some good wvw mains and boosters 2 days at most if you really want the base mount unlock.

SkyscaleRequires over 4 hours collection work + story completion time (about 1 hour) just to get the first part of the collection done5 additional days (of which your progress hits a 100% dead stop)Unknown collectionsWhat could also be an unknown gold cost too.

As a main feature of the living world's contents release this should not be a thing. Something like this is what you should expect for a hidden easter egg style mount like griffon not a main feature mount like skyscale. THATS SOMETHING THAT REALLY BITES AT ME.

@"Klowdy.3126" said:TLDR: it's a problem because people have no patience.

Maybe you should read the email that anet sent out saying that you should come play and get your "SKYSCALE TODAY"its a problem because people dont like bing lied too and bamboozled

@ZDragon.3046 said:

@"Klowdy.3126" said:TLDR: it's a problem because people have no patience.

Maybe you should read the email that anet sent out saying that you should come play and get your "SKYSCALE TODAY"its a problem because people dont like bing lied too and bamboozled

LOL ... yeah OMG ... they are FOOLING people into playing a game they have been playing for years to come experience new content. tragic.

I don't get why people avoid PoF maps now. I mean, yes, I get it, but I don't understand people don't realize this will only extend the duration of the problem. Unless they're hoping for a "fix", one that might not even come, because this might be exactly how ANet planned it. There are still loads of people in Dragonfall so it's not going to send a message to ANet by way of population numbers either.

The whole "I want it all and I want it now" attitude is not helping people. There really is no need, and what's a few days in a lifetime? Not getting spirit shards is not going to create insurmountable problems. Whatever you're using them for will have to wait a bit. I don't see anything that will impede gameplay by not getting spirit shards. Is it ideal? No. But the longer you wait, the longer the problem will persist.