Aggro range increased... again...

The main reason I don't do PoF (and LWS4) is because of the annoying aggro range (900 in PoF compared to 600 in previous zones). Playing in PoF is like eating at a restaurant filled with flies that constantly annoy you. I noticed that enemies in Dragonfall were aggroing from ridiculously long range so I measured the aggro range and... the aggro range in the new zone is 1200...

Seriously... are you kitten kidding me? I was hoping that Anet would some day go back and reduce PoF aggro range down to 600 like everywhere else so that I'd actually enjoy PoF, but it's even longer now... Sigh...

I don't like to start upset posts like this but this just pisses me off so much... Seriously, is this the future of GW2's design? If it is, I'd really like to hear now from Anet so I can just quit and not waste any more time on this game. I personally hate the 900 aggro range enough that if the whole game was like this, I'd just quit the game. Increasing it to 1200 for future contents means I have no reason to continue to invest in this game. Having enemies that are not even in my screen aggro out of nowhere is just so disruptive and annoying. It takes the fun out of exploring open world. I can't even look at the map, activate vistas, remount, chat, etc. before some stupid suicidal fly pesters me to kill it first. This is about as fun as walking down a street and having people constantly hand me fliers. It's about as fun as constantly getting robocalls. It's about as fun as having my email spammed by scammers. It’s about as fun as visiting a web site with pop up video ads.

EDIT - And of course, there are some people replying it’s not hard when this thread is not about difficulty (not saying anything wrong with players who find PoF hard). This thread is about the annoyingly long aggro range making it not fun to explore due to the constant disruptions. Learn to read.

• Like 1

During the final fights it gets annoying, on the rest of the map I don't notice it so much. During the last sequence it is sometimes useful to switch bosses(or just go somewhere fast) but I can hardly reach them because I cannot mount due to the enormous amount of aggro and pillar condition spam. But normally on the map while doing the pre it seems ok.

I agree the aggro range is ridiculously long. Meta is affected too much, imo. Even with shrine teleports (which work during combat), meta will be unreasonably hard to complete once the hype goes down and map population decreases.

I also had a rather unpleasant time completing the map: Often it is not possible to view vistas until the entire area is cleaned of junk mobs. It helps with achievements, but it is very annoying at the same time.

How can aggro range be a problem to so many and be not even noticed by players like me? I've stumbled into two situations where I was slightly annoyed by it on the new map and that was mostly because I was an idiot. There are so many corners, so many rocks you can jump behind. Maybe it would do good for many if they learned to LoS.

I agree with the OP, the aggro range is very annoying. A solution for me would be if we could at least mount when we have aggro. I have been thinking long and hard how such a feature could be gamed and/or used to cheese fights but I can not really think of a good reason, exept the "hard is fun" and "you have to realize where you get yourself into" adagio. Some Buffs and debuffs would also lose some value, I guess (swiftness, stunbreaks).Well, and put the Mount 1 skill on a cool down.

Even so, we already are allowed to run away from fights if we choose to do so without much chance of dying, but why make us having to run half the map(actually running into more aggro) OR clear out a huge area before we can do so, in the new maps?

The aggro range is now so large and the maps so packed with aggro mobs, that any added sense of danger and awareness (that aggro mobs could add to gameplay in a mmo) have lost all meaning in these new maps. You just know you will get aggro if you dismount (or stay mounted) and either have to stay moving like a shark in the water, or just soak it up if you want to do anything that is not traveling on your mount.

@Blocki.4931 said:How can aggro range be a problem to so many and be not even noticed by players like me? I've stumbled into two situations where I was slightly annoyed by it on the new map and that was mostly because I was an idiot. There are so many corners, so many rocks you can jump behind. Maybe it would do good for many if they learned to LoS.

Pretty much my experience, and I'm a klutz. (OK, I mean, I can hold my own in combat, and I'm much better than I was, but I'm still a klutz.) I barged into the south lane and got roflstomped, but that was more because of numbers than aggro range. Thereafter, I haven't had any problem because of the Golden Rule.

Er, this Golden Rule: ground-only no-ranged-attack enemies are not a problem when you're in the air.

Griffy can help you do that, and so can gliders, and the Dragocopter allows you to stay in one place in mid-air indefinitely.

What annoy me more is the strength of some foes, you have the skeleton and will o wisp which are okay and then those bodybuilded shadow knights and creatures, playing with holo dps, got downed and killed several times as many players I met. They don't take damage they shield and restore health just like they are scrappers.

@Blocki.4931 said:How can aggro range be a problem to so many and be not even noticed by players like me? I've stumbled into two situations where I was slightly annoyed by it on the new map and that was mostly because I was an idiot. There are so many corners, so many rocks you can jump behind. Maybe it would do good for many if they learned to LoS.

It's very annoying to afk farmers, recource nodes farmers, and people who expect game to be a walk in the park which they can play with one hand while holding their beer with the other one :) I've never had issues with agro range in PoF, it seemed a bit more challenging due to this, what is good, but still quite easy anyway (easier than current HoT).

In short, it's not an issue if you actually came to the map to play a game, not expecting it to be an effortless farm.

@MoriMoriMori.5349 said:

In short, it's not an issue if you actually came to the map to play a game, not expecting it to be an effortless farm.

Sorry, but my experience is different and I don't farm. I actively play the game. Granted, I haven't tried the new map yet, but in PoF I often find it difficult to simply stop and look around or even get my bearings without something aggro-ing me from afar. I would like to have the opportunity to look at the landscape and surrounding terrain that Anet worked so hard to create, but I don't have that luxury when I'm constantly being attacked.

So, yeah, it is an issue for many of us who actually play the game.

That makes it more realistic. I mean there's plenty of other armor options that are viable and have toughness and vitality that you can use to survive while still dealing good damge. I use minstrels in open world and I still deal good damage. Aggro more for more challenge I say! :sunglasses:

@aspirine.6852 said:During the final fights it gets annoying, on the rest of the map I don't notice it so much. During the last sequence it is sometimes useful to switch bosses(or just go somewhere fast) but I can hardly reach them because I cannot mount due to the enormous amount of aggro and pillar condition spam. But normally on the map while doing the pre it seems ok.

Having ley line gliding makes that part a bit less crappy

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@"AliamRationem.5172" said:I haven't had a chance to head over to the new map yet, but I agree that PoF aggro range is very annoying.

Especially with regards to ranged NPCS. The branded...the harpies..and omg, branded harpies?!

My most hated enemy of the game. I was playing ESO and they were trying to make me feel guilty about wiping out colony of them, and I was like "you clearly don't know how truly evil they are."

@kharmin.7683 said:I would like to have the opportunity to look at the landscape and surrounding terrain that Anet worked so hard to create, but I don't have that luxury when I'm constantly being attacked.

I hardly can think of a location on the map where you wouldn't be able to do so. Sure, you are not always can do it at any spot you are staying at at that very moment - but by just having a look around you can find a more or less safe spot you can stay a few minutes at without being attacked. Like, a hill, or a ledge on some cliff, or just some spot which is clearly far away from all nearby monster spawn regions. It comes with experience, but you can see such spots almost any time, from any possible place.

Yes, they are not kind of safe-spots when you can just leave your character and go away for 10-30 minutes (you still can find such spots as well on those maps anyway), and yes it still requires you to spend some efforts looking around and thinking - but that far from being even mildly difficult. And yes, you can't just make a few steps to the side and leave without fear of being aggroed - and that's a good thing which make those maps at least mildly interesting, comparing to the kindergarden of the core Tyria where you can play game with your left hand and your face while doing house chores with your right hand, and go out for a walk, only to see your character staying alive and safe upon getting back home.

Thanks, don't need this bs in DLC maps as well. That's one of the few places I can play a game with my lv80 characters.

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@"aspirine.6852" said:During the final fights it gets annoying, on the rest of the map I don't notice it so much. During the last sequence it is sometimes useful to switch bosses(or just go somewhere fast) but I can hardly reach them because I cannot mount due to the enormous amount of aggro and pillar condition spam. But normally on the map while doing the pre it seems ok.

Yes, thank god for Ley Lines in this map. :) I really like how this map has all of the "transportation" devices that we got during the LW seasons. The good thing about the Leylines, shrooms and Oakheart Essences is that you can use them while having aggro so I think this was Anet's way of alleviating the aggro thing somewhat. I hope they will keep doing this going forward with new maps. I always loved the Oakheart Essences and the Ley Lines are simply a must if you want to arrive at the next Mini boss in time. :)

@"Tyncale.1629" said:I agree with the OP, the aggro range is very annoying. A solution for me would be if we could at least mount when we have aggro.

We can mount when we have aggro. What you can't do is mount when you are classed "in combat". If you're trying to avoid combat, that begins when you take damage because of something a monster did(1), and ends a second or so after the last condition on you clears provided you aren't still taking damage from other sources.

So if you can activate the mount skill before entering combat, you're golden, even if the monsters are trying to attack you.

(1) The "take damage" part is critical: If you block an attack (Guardians FTW!), you don't enter combat.

EDIT: compare this to SWTOR, where you enter the "in combat" state when monsters take an interest in you, even if they never get to actually attack you.

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:

@"Tyncale.1629" said:I agree with the OP, the aggro range is very annoying. A solution for me would be if we could at least mount when we have aggro.

We can mount when we have aggro. What you can't do is mount when you are classed "in combat". If you're trying to avoid combat, that begins when you take damage because of something a monster did(1), and ends a second or so after the last condition on you clears provided you aren't still taking damage from other sources.

So if you can activate the mount skill before entering combat, you're golden, even if the monsters are
trying
to attack you.

(1) The "take damage" part is critical: If you block an attack (Guardians FTW!), you don't enter combat.

EDIT: compare this to SWTOR, where you enter the "in combat" state when monsters take an interest in you, even if they never get to actually attack you.

Yes, you are right, and it is an important detail. I usually manage to avoid getting hit pretty well, and can usually harvest just fine when mobs are around, by fast dismount/mounting. But with the large aggro range of the Skeletons and wurms in this map, and the density of the mobs I must say it is taking away quit a bit of the fun away of exploring this map.

@Tyncale.1629 said:

@"aspirine.6852" said:During the final fights it gets annoying, on the rest of the map I don't notice it so much. During the last sequence it is sometimes useful to switch bosses(or just go somewhere fast) but I can hardly reach them because I cannot mount due to the enormous amount of aggro and pillar condition spam. But normally on the map while doing the pre it seems ok.

Yes, thank god for Ley Lines in this map. :) I really like how this map has all of the "transportation" devices that we got during the LW seasons. The good thing about the Leylines, shrooms and Oakheart Essences is that you can use them while having aggro so I think this was Anet's way of alleviating the aggro thing somewhat. I hope they will keep doing this going forward with new maps. I always loved the Oakheart Essences and the Ley Lines are simply a must if you want to arrive at the next Mini boss in time. :)

If only they fixed the Oakheart Essence causing you to clip into walls ... :(

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:

@Tyncale.1629 said:I agree with the OP, the aggro range is very annoying. A solution for me would be if we could at least mount when we have aggro.

So if you can activate the mount skill before entering combat, you're golden, even if the monsters are
trying
to attack you.

Half of that exist in GW2 as well. Even if a mob decides it is no longer interested in fighting you they will still keep you in combat and applying conditions to ambient creatures can leave you stuck in combat as well.