It's time for new weapon types

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

@Einlanzer.1627 said:I've pretty much long thought the same thing. But it isn't just the GW2 forums. It's the general population. Intelligent players knew for years that mounts, if done well, would be great for the game. Anet knew it also, which is why they finally did it. People like those in this (and many other threads) naysayed them the whole way. Common sense prevailed, and they have now moved their mindless contrarianism to other topics.I don't recall MO or the devs ever saying that mounts would not be incorporated. However, with regards to weapon types ...@"archmagus.7249" said:There was a HoT trailer where a character had a land spear, and players on reddit got all fired up about them adding land spears. However, multiple devs chimed in (including MO himself) and said that they won't be adding any new weapons to the game.

I do. I remember in pre release Anet saying they would never add Raids or Mounts to GW2. How times change.

The only quote I’ve been able to find about mounts did not say never. It said not at launch

(July 2011)

Will be there any other kind of traveling across long distances apart from asura gates (e.g. ship)?

Eric: Any of the major (non-capturable) waypoints that a player has unlocked can be travelled to regardless of the distance involved. Prices do vary depending on distance though, and asura gates are free, so a player might find it advantageous to use asura gates in some circumstances. Other than waypoints and asura gates, there will be no other methods of long distance travel such as mounts, ships, etc in Guild Wars 2
upon initial release.

Edit: The Devs almost never say never and I doubt they said never on raids either. It’s much more likely that what they said was misremembered, just like how they said not at launch for mounts became never mounts. Of course if you have an actual quote where the devs said never raids pre release then I’d love to see it.

They said never back then. Arena Net's attitude was much different pre release than it is now. Anti WoW was the atmosphere in the GW2 community back then, especially on Guild Wars 2 Guru. Anet were very vocal about being against Raids, Mounts, Healing, and Expansions. All of which they changed their view about as the game aged and some of the old hyped concepts lost a lot of the hype and shown they just dont work. Like for example their view about "No Endgame" nonsense.

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

@Einlanzer.1627 said:I've pretty much long thought the same thing. But it isn't just the GW2 forums. It's the general population. Intelligent players knew for years that mounts, if done well, would be great for the game. Anet knew it also, which is why they finally did it. People like those in this (and many other threads) naysayed them the whole way. Common sense prevailed, and they have now moved their mindless contrarianism to other topics.I don't recall MO or the devs ever saying that mounts would not be incorporated. However, with regards to weapon types ...@"archmagus.7249" said:There was a HoT trailer where a character had a land spear, and players on reddit got all fired up about them adding land spears. However, multiple devs chimed in (including MO himself) and said that they won't be adding any new weapons to the game.

I do. I remember in pre release Anet saying they would never add Raids or Mounts to GW2. How times change.

The only quote I’ve been able to find about mounts did not say never. It said not at launch

(July 2011)

Will be there any other kind of traveling across long distances apart from asura gates (e.g. ship)?

Eric: Any of the major (non-capturable) waypoints that a player has unlocked can be travelled to regardless of the distance involved. Prices do vary depending on distance though, and asura gates are free, so a player might find it advantageous to use asura gates in some circumstances. Other than waypoints and asura gates, there will be no other methods of long distance travel such as mounts, ships, etc in Guild Wars 2
upon initial release.

Edit: The Devs almost never say never and I doubt they said never on raids either. It’s much more likely that what they said was misremembered, just like how they said not at launch for mounts became never mounts. Of course if you have an actual quote where the devs said never raids pre release then I’d love to see it.

They said never back then. Arena Net's attitude was much different pre release than it is now. Anti WoW was the atmosphere in the GW2 community back then, especially on Guild Wars 2 Guru. Anet were very vocal about being against Raids, Mounts, Healing, and Expansions. All of which they changed their view about as the game aged and some of the old hyped concepts lost a lot of the hype and shown they just dont work. Like for example their view about "No Endgame" nonsense.

Perhaps. An actual dev quote would prove you’re right and prove you’re not misremembering like you misremembered the quote about mounts.

(July 2011)

upon initial release.

Perhaps. An actual dev quote would prove you’re right and prove you’re not misremembering like you misremembered the quote about mounts.

Not going to happen. That's quoted from years and years ago when this forum wasn't even around. I doubt most people can even find interviews from back then. But I remember because I was big on GW2G back then since it was a very Anti-WoW territory back then and these things were praised about the game. But maybe some of the old heads from that site still carry some of those old interviews somewhere.

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

(July 2011)

upon initial release.

Not going to happen. That's quoted from years and years ago when this forum wasn't even around. I doubt most people can even find interviews from back then. But I remember because I was big on GW2G back then since it was a very Anti-WoW territory back then and these things were praised about the game. But maybe some of the old heads from that site still carry some of those old interviews somewhere.

Well, ok. I did find the mount quote from the same time period so it’s not impossible if you're willing to do the work (although yeah, it is impossible to find a quote if there is no quote)

Until someone backs you up with an actual dev quote I’m giving your unsupported opinion on what you think you remember the dev saying back in 2011/2012 all the credence it deserves. ^^

(July 2011)

upon initial release.

Well, ok. I did find the mount quote from the same time period so it’s not impossible if you're willing to do the work (although yeah, it is impossible to find a quote if there is no quote)

Until someone backs you up with an actual dev quote I’m giving your unsupported opinion on what you think you remember the dev saying back in 2011/2012 all the credence it deserves. ^^

I legit just tried to do the search on Google. I have no idea how to get Google to search the internet for 2010 Interview quotes. Like said GW2G changed and all that old stuff likely gone. But may not be best at usingGoogle. But if you tell me how to get it to search for 2010 interview on endgame and raids I probably can find the quote.

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

(July 2011)

upon initial release.

I legit just tried to do the search on Google. I have no idea how to get Google to search the internet for 2010 Interview quotes. Like said GW2G changed and all that old stuff likely gone. But may not be best at usingGoogle. But if you tell me how to get it to search for 2010 interview on endgame and raids I probably can find the quote.

I’m no expert on computers or searching nor have I had any type of computer training outside of reading the ‘computers for dummies’ books. All I can say is for quotes that old I use ‘2011 (or whatever year I think the quote is from) archive guild wars 2’ then what I’m looking for. I dig around till I find the quote or a reference to the quote then use those words to dig further.

Good luck.

Yeah like I said a lot of these old statements are lost to guild wars 2 guru old site and old MMOrpg.com forum which was scrapped for the new forum. So no way to search through those old post from 2010/11. Most Google search bring up 2015 and modern GW2 which again Anet then was under a radically different attitude from 2010. Remember the Manifesto for instance. Just Impossible to search all the net for that quote without a good search tool that's more specific than Google.

@Knighthonor.4061 said:Yeah like I said a lot of these old statements are lost to guild wars 2 guru old site and old MMOrpg.com forum which was scrapped for the new forum. So no way to search through those old post from 2010/11. Most Google search bring up 2015 and modern GW2 which again Anet then was under a radically different attitude from 2010. Remember the Manifesto for instance. Just Impossible to search all the net for that quote without a good search tool that's more specific than Google.

Yeah, gotta love the internet. I have a clear memory of them saying ‘no builds because they want people to be attached to their character and how it plays/its build’ back around 2010/2011 but the actual quote is impossible to find. Archived no doubt. /shrug.

So while understanding new weapons isn’t needed, that isn’t the point, I do think it could be a nice addition.

I think if they were to add new weapons at least add 2, that’ll cover all professions. Or cover it over time. Pending on the work it takes which only ANET themselves know...factually that it is.

I sort of hope underwater weapons can be used as land weapons. Honestly while polearms might be used like GS, different animations would spice things up and just more options in general. I saw suggestions of gauntlets, that would be nice too.

Sort wish Rev had land spear than staff melee but again it’s built around healing so not too upset about that.