[merged] About the Skyscale Timegate...

@ProverbsofHell.2307 said:I'm SICK of people crying in map chat and on forums about a FIVE DAY timegate on the new mount. How impatient and entitled can you be?

The timegate is going to keep the map populated for longer, people are going to be hyped for longer about getting the new mount - people are having fun figuring out the collection together, it's more of an event, etc. Imagine if we all just got the Skyscale for free at the end of the episode, great, now there's no prestige to it whatsoever, we can all abandon the gorgeous new map, and hover and kitten around in DR/LA. Nice.

THE TIMEGATE IS FINE.

YES!!!!!

Ok, everyone would love to have everything right away, that is a given. I am not about to cry over the timegating though as I can not even START it for a few more days (the flashing in the final instance means I should do it with a group). I am more concerned if people are not playing the story in a few days because so many people rushed through it.

@Obtena.7952 said:

@"Klowdy.3126" said:TLDR: it's a problem because people have no patience.

Maybe you should read the email that anet sent out saying that you should come play and get your "SKYSCALE TODAY"its a problem because people dont like bing lied too and bamboozled

LOL ... yeah OMG ... they are FOOLING people into playing a game they have been playing for years to come experience new content. tragic.

i guess you missed the whole part where you cant do the following statement lol

No, i didn't miss it ... I'm just realistic because I play GW2 for more than one day ... therefore it's not a big deal that it takes more than a day to get it. I'm not offended by some minor oversight because I play the game anyways and eventually I will get the mount /shrug

Well its objective to different peopleI play generally every day and it bothers me that I can do anything to progress for 24 hours so I pretty much stopped playing the content in that map till the reset happens.

Then the design of the map is successful ... because Anet want people to do some, come back, etc ... that's why time gating exists. And that's not unreasonable ... because it's not designed so that you get everything done in one day then wonder why we don't have new content more often. It's all related and it's how any MMO works ... somehow you pay. And that somehow is what keeps you coming back and playing.

My rebuttal to this is what if people only come back to the map to talk to the npc there is nothing we can see (yet, as far as i know) that is going to require people to come back and play the events and metas.

As i said gating is ok time gating in this sense is not ok. In fact i know one of the collections requires you to own all of season 4 meaning you will be spending time outside of dragonfall not in it. While no doubt some collections will have you come back and play things in the map its a good chance that somethings also wont do more than require you to go around the map searching or talking to an npc or waiting for specific particular event. This is not truly a way of keeping people.

As you said the map is successful and if this is the case you shouldn't need to feel or entertain the idea of forcing players to return to it via a 5 day time gate. IF anything people will be furious at the end of the time gate and leave it be not wanting to come back after the fact.

Currently the meta rewards are good and not limited so people are enticed by the idea of (good loot farm) to continue playing it as well as its natural fun. But I was holding tons of loot before i started playing the map, I don't particularly need more unidentified gear but sure ill take it why not its not a real factor for me atm. (im sure the loot will get nerfed at some point too which will also ruin some of the maps replay value.)

The argument is not that their should not be any gates the argument is that anet picked a very bad option to use for gating.

If you want to keep people in the map why only do it for 5 days... this also makes no sense. What happens after the 5 days or the first week or 2 when whats likely the common population of players who play every day or every other day finish and deiced (not going back ill go back to normal play now) in which they continue to play the game but wont spend tons of time in that map. You kept the population at a peek for 5 days while frustrating alot of players..... what does this achieve.

Ideally population drop is gonna happen no matter what you cant solve that with a time gate on the main feature of the update and say "well anet does not want you to speed through it"Ideally anets goal should not be to keep people playing this map for as long as possible it should be to keep people playing in general as long as possible just because you give players a new mount on day 1 does not mean they will stop palying on day 2.... You cant say well "anet wants you to enjoy the content and not blast through it" when you dont have access to the content. :unamused:

@TempestMoon.5403 said:

I am 1000% fine with the timegate. All people seem to want to do anymore is rush through content so they can get that first reaction and then kitten and whine about not having anything to do for the next 3-4 months. Take your time and enjoy the time and effort the devs put in rather than speeding through.

Yea but that’s done by force...by the devs, people who claim there is nothing to do then that’s on them. Forcing people who don’t like timegates but wold still take their time anyways is not a good thing(I’ll say imo).

So you’re fine for it not being a problem for you there is nothing wrong with that, but something I’ve yet to see is why it’s a good/needed addition. So far it’s just their to do nothing or to annoy people.

As an above person said it could be to keep people on the map longer which is a fair conclusion, yet the map itself is good IMO, it didn’t need a timegate to keep me and people who actually like the game to stay longer in it.

The mount itself is not a required aspect of the game. You're not forced to unlock it so you can progress the story or even do the map. So what purpose does it serve to make players feel as though they have to have the mount on the first day? If that were the case then I could see the argument for hindering progress but as it is its an unnecessary perk.

Again that doesn’t mean it should be timegated, so what purpose does it serve to make players feel as though they need to wait 4 days?

If it’s as how you put it, then what does the time gate [help] do in a [positive] sense when going for the sky scale.

We could pin those questions on the Griffon and beetle and I don’t think people felt it’d be better if mounts going forth were tied behind timegates.

Timegate introduced what? Am I going to feel any different going through a timegate vs going at my own pace? Timegate isn’t going to make me feel better that’s for certain.

@Stalkingwolf.6035 said:

@TheGrimm.5624 said:Try ESO crafting, 5 days is nothing, why are we talking about this? Haven't even started that yet but that's not a concern.

who cares what ESO is doing?! Whataboutism doesnt help in any discussion

It actually does. It puts things in perspective. If you are concerned about 5 days in an MMO you might want to reconsider playing MMOs and going back to other types of games.

The OP doesn't understand that there are a lot of people that can only carve out 1 to 2 hours every day. If that block of time doesn't allow you to finish a collection before the reset then you are out of luck for the day. This can easily turn a minimum 5 day time gate into much longer than intended. It artificially punishes people that have shorter play times. This is simply bad design.

For example, this time gate might actually stop my wife from playing the game due to an artificially introduced mechanic. It is frustrating, and enough to cause people to stop playing entirely. Pretty sure that was not ANet's intent.

@ProtoGunner.4953 said:

@ProtoGunner.4953 said:Holy dude, just go through with the 5 days and you're done. People really overexaggerate this - as if you had to climb the K2 without an oxygen flask.

Its not 5 days if you can only play on weekends, then its 21 days ;-)

Okay granted, but then you'll be 'slow' generally. They simply can't consider every playstyle.

For which playstyle is the time gate a benefit?I only see people who doesn't care about it and people who don't like it. But I have never see a response like 'Yeahhhh time gated stufff, cheeerrs'

Well, maybe I am a different kind, but somehow I liked the working towards something-appeal. I made a lot of legendaries though. Maybe I just like it. The feel of reward is bigger when you had to work for it a bit and sorry a 5 days isn't really a long time. For my first legendary in 2012 I grinded for about 3-4 months daily.

How is waiting for a timer to run out work? How is it making it feel more rewarding?You are talking about grinding daily, that's like the exact opposite of a timegate, which makes many ppl just log off for the day wihtout actually doing any more "work"

It's a step by step goal: do your daily thing, go out, have a beer with your friend, go out with great women/men and enjoy the day. There is more than just the game. You'll get it eventually. Why the hurry? You have the game since 7 years without this mount.

Whoa.... hold on their partnerSome of us spend 8 hours or more (12 hours a day) outside of the house at work and or dealing with family or doing just what you said. Its rather rude to tell someone else that they shouldn't live their life the way they choose to and to do they things they want to do (within reason). Some people you must realize are introverted and don't like being around other people physically in the real world to tell them to go out is like telling someone who loves to be out all the time to stay in and that they go out too much. Some people are nerds (myself included to an extent) and love this game to death and want to get our hands on new content the moment we know about it for some people its the new legendary for others its the mount for some its purely just the story.

Is it good to get out of the house and away from technology, sure it is. Have we been waiting 7 years for this no.... A more accurate statement is something probably closer to 7 weeks. (i cant remember when we got the first glimpse of a skyscale)No other mount has been like this so why is this one?Its all just a big shock to a majority of players and the ones who are upset about it are upset with good reason. Had this been done with say roller beetle, and warclaw, in which you were locked out from progress for 24 hours even if you started on the day of the contents release we likely wouldn't be sitting here taking issue with it. Because we would expect that the new main feature of the patch is going to take a few days to get via daily reset but that HAS NOT HAPPENED BEFORE. This is the biggest issue for those who were looking forward to the mount as the main feature on day 1 release as it was ideally marketed.

@"ZDragon.3046" said:

Ideally anets goal should not be to keep people playing this map for as long as possible it should be to keep people playing in general as long as possible just because you give players a new mount on day 1 does not mean they will stop palying on day 2.... You cant say well "anet wants you to enjoy the content and not blast through it" when you dont have access to the content. :unamused:

Exactly. People want the mount so they can use it, and get the masteries and actually go through completing the map with the mount. That way they could just as well time gate everything, like masteries, all collections basically and so on.

I think the main reason people are upset is the lack of warning as to what kind of content they would be getting. If since day one they had told us it was going to be this way, the backlash would be much less than what it is now. People were expecting something easier or slightly harder than the griffon, perhaps something even like the raptor. Both have precedent. If everyone knew they would be locked out of having the mount for at best 5 days and that it was time gated to daily resets, people that are upset now , would have played different at the start, and would have schedule their play time to fit this. But it was all just dumped on us with no explanation and was like a cold shower to anyone with reasonable expectations. How many actually thought that all they had to do was give the medicine to a skyscale and that was it I wonder. I know I did. Now add to this experience the fact that you suddenly find out there is more and that you have to wait an entire day, which you had planned ahead as play time to get the mount, because you finished the fetch quests 30 min too late.

If you want people to keep playing your game make it enjoyable and not frustrating.

@tekhiun.8653 said:

@TheGrimm.5624 said:Try ESO crafting, 5 days is nothing, why are we talking about this? Haven't even started that yet but that's not a concern.

I think randomly putting a timegate on an aspect of the game without any warning at all is the issue. But if people enjoy that, well I hope they timegate more content in the future. Maybe the future of the game is time gating random stuff more and more. Again if people enjoy being locked out for a whole day because of a few minutes, then they should do it more. I wonder why they didn't do this since 2012, since is such a great to give out content.

I go round and round on time gating. Its a balancing tool on one hand and a hindrance on another. It does balance the field between older and new accounts and serves some aspect there. As far as no warning, I think that's a matter of what the preconceived impressions based on limited information were. I didn't see anything prior to release that made me believe there wouldn't be some time gate since the other mounts required time to collect as well. Hence my comment on 5 days not being so bad. My concern here is feedback like this leads Anet to releases less information moving forward where in reality more might have helped peoples expectations but would also have been meet with, why can't I get it day one. Same goes for the Legendary, the fact that people can craft it day one cheapens it to some whereas others will be ecstatic.

@TheGrimm.5624 said:

who cares what ESO is doing?! Whataboutism doesnt help in any discussion

It actually does. It puts things in perspective. If you are concerned about 5 days in an MMO you might want to reconsider playing MMOs and going back to other types of games.

no it does not. All what you are saying. this is not bad, because in the other game is it worse. that doesnt make it in this game good.srsly whataboutism doesnt help. Where here not in ESO, Black Desert or Tera. This is gw2.and btw i have Aurora, Golem Backpack. But thats not even close the same.

@ProverbsofHell.2307 said:I'm SICK of people crying in map chat and on forums about a FIVE DAY timegate on the new mount. How impatient and entitled can you be?

The timegate is going to keep the map populated for longer, people are going to be hyped for longer about getting the new mount - people are having fun figuring out the collection together, it's more of an event, etc. Imagine if we all just got the Skyscale for free at the end of the episode, great, now there's no prestige to it whatsoever, we can all abandon the gorgeous new map, and hover and kitten around in DR/LA. Nice.

THE TIMEGATE IS FINE.

If a five day time gate is going to keep the map populated longer than if there was no such time gate, then you are saying that the map and its content are insufficient to keep player interest for more than four days.

Why do you think so poorly of the new map?

@tekhiun.8653 said:

Then the design of the map is successful ... because Anet want people to do some, come back, etc ... that's why time gating exists. And that's not unreasonable ... because it's not designed so that you get everything done in one day then wonder why we don't have new content more often. It's all related and it's how any MMO works ... somehow you pay. And that somehow is what keeps you coming back and playing.

People are already nearly done with the map lol. Everything else can be done quite easily, with no timegate, except the one of the main features , which is the mount. Really it seems that you didnt even play the game. The only thing time locked is the mount. If they want people can be done with the map before they get the skygated mount.

That doesn't change what I said ... There are going to be some exceptional players that can do that. It's irrelevant to the conversation. In fact, it's exactly this reason I believe that there are time gates. MMO's make players pay somehow. Timegating is how Anet is making these exceptional players pay to get the mount.

@Adenin.5973 said:

@Ayakaru.6583 said:While I'm no fan of time gating as it feels arbitrary, i don't think it's as bad as a lot of people make it out to be.They're just preventing people from being done on day 1.I mean, even the story could be finished by in an hour.

Exactly. One hour content + 2-3 hours map completion and some events. This is the entire episode. Delayed and delayed again. To hide this they dilluted the content on 5 separate days. Stopping your progress to the mount even if you want to spend this effort. Is this a good design?

It's MMO design ... I don't get why this concept is so offensive to people ... I've yet to play an MMO where you don't see one of two things:
  1. Blast through new content
  2. Grind through new content

Either way, there are people that complain about it. That says nothing of the design being good or bad. We have content in this game that spans the spectrum of both.

Because you seem to forget what most MMOs offer with new updates. They offer a set of rewards that then can be aquired through new game modes or new mechanics, new character progression etc. If all you have after 7 years is the base game unchanged with a few new classes and then you throw every 4 months a new map in that ppl play for 3 hrs then that's not good game design.

That has nothing to do with time gating.

It has. Look at other games like Warframe. Pretty much every single thing you do there is timegated. Why is that not a problem.
  • You can pay RL cash to have it instantly
  • The amount of other goals you can set for yourself while the timer is running is in no comparison to GW2

Warframe releases so incredibly much more new features, mechanics, weapons, mods + overhauls tons of existing stuff with each of their major patches. So if you look forawrd to the newest warframe update where a new warframe gets released and the thing is timegated behind a grindfest and then also behind a 24-48hr timer, then that's not a problem because:
  • New weapons with entirely new mechanics behind them
  • New mods
  • New factions, with new mods and new weapons with new mechanics
  • Complete feature overhauls
  • New featuresAnd so much more.

So while in GW2 as a longterm player, you had like 1-2 goals coming with this patch and 1 was finished pretty quickly and the other is timegated, there's nothing exciting for you to do. You now have to pretty much wait for a timer to run out.

While in Warframe for example the grind for the new goal is exciting due to overhauls and new mods and weapons and there might be new game modes to grind in and then when you wait there are 10 other things you want to have, that just got released.

So yes, amount of content, new feature, game modes etc. are absolutely what can make or break something like timegating.

However timegating is a methof for the studio to earn more money. Warframe devs do it but they do it right. GW2 devs also do it but iomo it's done completely wrong and it doesn't suit their game and content.

It's not a problem here either ... unless you don't anticipate playing that map for more than the time needed to get the mount. That's a player problem.

@ProtoGunner.4953 said:

@ProtoGunner.4953 said:Holy dude, just go through with the 5 days and you're done. People really overexaggerate this - as if you had to climb the K2 without an oxygen flask.

Its not 5 days if you can only play on weekends, then its 21 days ;-)

Okay granted, but then you'll be 'slow' generally. They simply can't consider every playstyle.

For which playstyle is the time gate a benefit?I only see people who doesn't care about it and people who don't like it. But I have never see a response like 'Yeahhhh time gated stufff, cheeerrs'

Well, maybe I am a different kind, but somehow I liked the working towards something-appeal. I made a lot of legendaries though. Maybe I just like it. The feel of reward is bigger when you had to work for it a bit and sorry a 5 days isn't really a long time. For my first legendary in 2012 I grinded for about 3-4 months daily.As far as this statement goesI have doubts that your progress is 100% stopped at any point during that 3-4 month grind. Legendaries often require so many complexed items that there is almost always something you can work on until you get down to the last few bits at which point your progress might become locked for a few 24 hour resets. Usually its gemstones, mystic coins, or clovers that do it from my understanding. (maybe a few other items as well depending on what route you took) but nothing stops you from going for general masteries and gifts or saving mats and gold you are still making progress for the majority of that time.

Keep in mind this mount is not marketed as a legendary mount (As far as I could tell feel free to correct me if im wrong) nor is it a secret easter egg mount like the griff was. Even if we want to talk legendaries there were people running around with the new legendary gs within the first hour after the patch dropped because they "worked hard toward it" getting the things needed before the patch hit.

So why cant players who want to "work hard toward" the new mount to get it quickly do that if they want it as one of the main features. So while you may not mind the gating because you make legendaries not everyone is like you and makes or has mad 10 legendaries. Even sooooooooo as noted before there was nothing stopping players from "working hard" to make sure they could obtain the gs on day one of its release. If players had saved everything needed to make the gs only to find out its going to take another 10 or 20 days or more because of some "new unforeseen item for no real reason" I doubt players who were looking forward to getting the new gs would be happy about it while it wouldnt bother everyone it would no doubt bother some because no previous legendary was done that way right?

I obtained the griffon in a day once i saw another player with it just by asking for help with finding eggs in the map chats players were willing to help one another as no guide was up at the time to do it. Saving gold was on me but that was not hard simply sold some things i had been holding onto for ages and ez pz gold gain "I worked hard" saving those things to sell for gold for what ever i wanted in the future and could sell them to obtain a mount quickly.

But no amount of hard work in this particularly instance of gating will allow a player to obtain the new mount more quickly.

@Obtena.7952 said:

@"Klowdy.3126" said:TLDR: it's a problem because people have no patience.

Maybe you should read the email that anet sent out saying that you should come play and get your "SKYSCALE TODAY"its a problem because people dont like bing lied too and bamboozled

LOL ... yeah OMG ... they are FOOLING people into playing a game they have been playing for years to come experience new content. tragic.

i guess you missed the whole part where you cant do the following statement lol

No, i didn't miss it ... I'm just realistic because I play GW2 for more than one day ... therefore it's not a big deal that it takes more than a day to get it. I'm not offended by some minor oversight because I play the game anyways and eventually I will get the mount /shrug

That's great for you that apparently has nothing to do all day but play GW2, some of us have jobs and families and RL so we are unable to sit and play for hours on end, which means I MIGHT be able to get it by Christmas but I'm not holding my breath.

The OP doesn't understand that there are a lot of people that can only carve out 1 to 2 hours every day. If that block of time doesn't allow you to finish a collection before the reset then you are out of luck for the day.

So much this. I've done 11/21 from the first collection. It takes 3 hours for me by using a YT guide. I'm just not good at jumping around in trees on a mount or hit a flying rock on point. Normaly i would say okay it's not my type of things to do (never finished a jp on my own) , and walk back to fractals and raids. But the new mastery is blocking the shard rewards on the xp bar. Normaly i would wait till i got bored or holidays grap a vid tuto on yt and get trough the whole thing in one weekend. Now i have to do this annoying things over a couple of days. Atm that's so frustrating for me that i'm thinking about to looking for a mesmer guy on reddit and pay him gold just for porting me to the collcetion points...

@"TheGrimm.5624" said:I go round and round on time gating. Its a balancing tool on one hand and a hindrance on another. It does balance the field between older and new accounts and serves some aspect there. As far as no warning, I think that's a matter of what the preconceived impressions based on limited information were. I didn't see anything prior to release that made me believe there wouldn't be some time gate since the other mounts required time to collect as well. Hence my comment on 5 days not being so bad. My concern here is feedback like this leads Anet to releases less information moving forward where in reality more might have helped peoples expectations but would also have been meet with, why can't I get it day one. Same goes for the Legendary, the fact that people can craft it day one cheapens it to some whereas others will be ecstatic.

Time gating it with events , its fine by me. Because then its up to the community. Like the vabbi meta for the roller beetle. It's an event that is usually done on weekends or on fixed week days and organized by guilds. And again there is precedent to that, for that kind of content. Should we expect this sort of timegating for anything now ? Then tbh release dates are not really that worth it to be hyped or excited about, and more like "I wonder what they will block us from doing" .

Also you just touched on another issue, people can get a legendary weapon faster than a mount atm. Why ? Because with the legendary they followed the pattern they had before, but for some reason not with the mount., so people prepared themselves for it.

Teapots reaction to the Skygated mount is spot on. "Why do they hate their playerbase"

If they keep silent about such things in the future I would be a real fail on their side imo. AS of it is now, there is no fix for it we just have to deal with this horrible desire and hope it doesn't happen again.

THE TIMEGATE IS FINE.

It's not about being a 5 day timegate, some people have jobs, families and lives where we can't sit and play 24 hours a day. So for some of us we won't have it before Christmas if by then.

@TempestMoon.5403 said:I am 1000% fine with the timegate. All people seem to want to do anymore is rush through content so they can get that first reaction and then kitten and whine about not having anything to do for the next 3-4 months. Take your time and enjoy the time and effort the devs put in rather than speeding through.

Cant enjoy what you dont own... nuff saidI would like to enjyo that effort they put in with masteries for said mount unlocked.

@Ashen.2907 said:

THE TIMEGATE IS FINE.

If a five day time gate is going to keep the map populated longer than if there was no such time gate, then you are saying that the map and its content are insufficient to keep player interest for more than four days.

but the result after the 5 days is the same as if it was not there in the first place and all you do is frustrate a majority of players for several different reasons..... ideally this was a needly bad choice.

If the map is good people will stay regardless.Could have made mastery exp scaled up so that it takes days to finish this is ok... too

5 days with hard progress lock is not ok.

@ZDragon.3046 said:

THE TIMEGATE IS FINE.

but the result after the 5 days is the same as if it was not there in the first place and all you do is frustrate a majority of players for several different reasons..... ideally this was a needly bad choice.

If the map is good people will stay regardless.Could have made mastery exp scaled up so that it takes days to finish this is ok... too

5 days with hard progress lock is not ok.

You and the guy you’re quoting are making the same argument I believe, I might’ve misread it. Yet he it looked like he was exposing the logic of the OP.

@MokahTGS.7850 said:The OP doesn't understand that there are a lot of people that can only carve out 1 to 2 hours every day. If that block of time doesn't allow you to finish a collection before the reset then you are out of luck for the day. This can easily turn a minimum 5 day time gate into much longer than intended. It artificially punishes people that have shorter play times. This is simply bad design.

For example, this time gate might actually stop my wife from playing the game due to an artificially introduced mechanic. It is frustrating, and enough to cause people to stop playing entirely. Pretty sure that was not ANet's intent.if getting a mount for say 10 days, instead of 5 is enough to make people stop playing the game, then they are playing the wrong game. I've been long enough around different MMO's ingame communities and forums to say that people usually just want the new shiny thing asap. Atleast many do. That's why we have people burning through content in a day and then they start complaining again they have nothing to do and work towards.

That's why nowadays we have issues of intense development crunch times in a number of games, where the developers are put through insane 100 hours a week work times so they can produce content faster and it's still not enough. Gamers still burn through it all in over a day or a week.

If Anet made the collections possible to complete in a day, people would complain that they have nothing new to work towads, just like people now complain about the time gate. However the design for the collections were made, some people would be happy and other not. Anet decided to go with that design, so you can either accept it or not, but realisticly i don't see them changing it, as this would be no easy task i am sure.