[merged] About the Skyscale Timegate...

Im fine with the timegate, 5 days isnt much considering you are getting a cool mount. And there are guides out now that will cut your collection time in half. You still have to wait for the reset, but at least you wont be searching around the map looking for the items.

@Obtena.7952 said:Then the design of the map is successful ... because Anet want people to do some, come back, etc ... that's why time gating exists. And that's not unreasonable ... because it's not designed so that you get everything done in one day then wonder why we don't have new content more often. It's all related and it's how any MMO works ... somehow you pay. And that somehow is what keeps you coming back and playing.The design is terrible. When you have to lock content behind a time gate to get them to come back, you're doing something wrong.People should be coming back to the map because it has fun, rewarding content. HoT is years old, yet years later and people still go back to those maps. I can do those metas far easier and frequently than the abandoned PoF ones.

There's so many other ways they could have done this to extend the time it took to get or level the Skyscale and they chose the laziest one by just sticking a time gate on it rather than fun content. That's all time gating is - a lazy way to get people to do content rather than making it enjoyable enough they do it anyway of their own volition.

The best part of all of this is ANET's lack of any forethought at all. Think of all the money they're going to lose out on because of the people that won't finish this collection for months or at all. I'm not going to spend 2000 gems on skins when I won't have it before the end of the year because I can only play for a few hours a week.

@Obtena.7952 said:

Then the design of the map is successful ... because Anet want people to do some, come back, etc ... that's why time gating exists. And that's not unreasonable ... because it's not designed so that you get everything done in one day then wonder why we don't have new content more often. It's all related and it's how any MMO works ... somehow you pay. And that somehow is what keeps you coming back and playing.

People are already nearly done with the map lol. Everything else can be done quite easily, with no timegate, except the one of the main features , which is the mount. Really it seems that you didnt even play the game. The only thing time locked is the mount. If they want people can be done with the map before they get the skygated mount.

That doesn't change what I said ... There are going to be some exceptional players that can do that. It's irrelevant to the conversation. In fact, it's exactly this reason I believe that there are time gates. MMO's make players pay somehow. Timegating is how Anet is making these exceptional players pay to get the mount.

Nobody is paying anything with it, this is a ridiculous concept. Bad design and making people not play content , is not making people pay for it. Also why punish people that actually like playing the game.

In fact I wouldnt mind paying for not having time locks, or at least get out of the one I am now, because I was 10 minutes too late and they didn't bother to tell us I actually had to rush through content because of the time gate if I didn't plan on wasting a whole day. There is no excuse for such a horrible design, I really don't udnerstand why people are actually for this sort of poor content development. Long grindy fetch quests AND daily reset time gates.

Its a shame that these time gates exist. It wasn't a good idea before and its not now. There is no benefit to the player base by making everyone jump though hoops based on a time frame. Collections - good stuff. Treasure hunts - more good stuff. Chaining those together - excellent stuff. Make people wait just because.....

I dont mind the time gate. I only have 2-3 hours of play time per night. I still want to do daily T4 Fractals and recs, daily PVP win, and some farming. I can see how those who are playing 8+ hours, or all day, are upset over it though. I would be too if i was off work for the week just for this update. Id actually be really pissed off!

@Santent.3647 said:I dont mind the time gate. I only have 2-3 hours of play time per night. I still want to do daily T4 Fractals and recs, daily PVP win, and some farming. I can see how those who are playing 8+ hours, or all day, are upset over it though. I would be too if i was off work for the week just for this update. Id actually be really pissed off!

My case right here. I also got locked out of a whole day for finishing the first part 10 minutes after daily reset. So today I don't have any collections. The irony is that the time will just make people hush through content and use guides because if they end too late they will end up like me. So it kind of has the opposite effect of making players engage with the game.

@Richard Marcinko.5132 said:The best part of all of this is ANET's lack of any forethought at all. Think of all the money they're going to lose out on because of the people that won't finish this collection for months or at all. I'm not going to spend 2000 gems on skins when I won't have it before the end of the year because I can only play for a few hours a week.

How will you not finish it for months? Im the slowest person in the game i know of and i will have this in a month at the very latest. And if i follow the guide i will have it in about a week. There is nothing wrong with putting a little time into doing something that gives you a reward. This gives people something to do , people that have done everything in the game and have nothing else to do esp should not have a problem with this. I have to do everything in the game still and yet this one daily dont bother me. Beats afking in LA really. And this is an mmorpg the genre of game is all about quests/collect/favors/ in order to get reward. I think people have got used to getting skins and items instantly off the store that it makes having to play the game a little to acquire those things seem like a major issue. 5 days is hardly an issue its not going anywhere, you play this game you can get it at your leisure.

There is nothing wrong with how they implemented this, the only thing that needs to be looked at is the mastery xp block for some people that have all masteries filled in. I hope they implement new mounts and rewards more in game honestly, i think instant gratification buying stuff is ruining the ingame experience of what an mmorpg is, it breeds impatience in the playerbase. So i hope Anet considers this a step in the right direction.

@AlexxxDelta.1806 said:The time gate can be annoying but it's not that big of a deal and it keeps players engaged. The shards issue seems like something that needs fixing though.

If it takes time hating content to keep people in engaged then there is H.U.G.E problem with the game itself.

Enraged maybe but I can’t agree on engaged. I would like to believe that myself too. I actually wanted to come to that conclusion even, yet if we going to be honest, and only if we are, then we should know Timegating isn’t to keep people engaged when used like this.

.......Don't make a map that you can blast through in one day!Anet makes a small teeny time-gate on the mount, requiring you to stay active in the map a teensy bit longerOMG, how dare you time-gate!!!!

And here I thought Mists of Pandaria was a time-gated grind to get the mounts I wanted....

@ZDragon.3046 said:

@"Klowdy.3126" said:TLDR: it's a problem because people have no patience.

Maybe you should read the email that anet sent out saying that you should come play and get your "SKYSCALE TODAY"its a problem because people dont like bing lied too and bamboozled

LOL ... yeah OMG ... they are FOOLING people into playing a game they have been playing for years to come experience new content. tragic.

i guess you missed the whole part where you cant do the following statement lol

No, i didn't miss it ... I'm just realistic because I play GW2 for more than one day ... therefore it's not a big deal that it takes more than a day to get it. I'm not offended by some minor oversight because I play the game anyways and eventually I will get the mount /shrug

Well its objective to different peopleI play generally every day and it bothers me that I can do anything to progress for 24 hours so I pretty much stopped playing the content in that map till the reset happens.

Then the design of the map is successful ... because Anet want people to do some, come back, etc ... that's why time gating exists. And that's not unreasonable ... because it's not designed so that you get everything done in one day then wonder why we don't have new content more often. It's all related and it's how any MMO works ... somehow you pay. And that somehow is what keeps you coming back and playing.

My rebuttal to this is what if people only come back to the map to talk to the npc there is nothing we can see (yet, as far as i know) that is going to require people to come back and play the events and metas.

Except there is ... so nothing further to pontificate here. If you can't find something to do in that map for the time needed to get the mount, then you don't deserve it anyways.

@Richard Marcinko.5132 said:

Maybe you should read the email that anet sent out saying that you should come play and get your "SKYSCALE TODAY"its a problem because people dont like bing lied too and bamboozled

LOL ... yeah OMG ... they are FOOLING people into playing a game they have been playing for years to come experience new content. tragic.

No, i didn't miss it ... I'm just realistic because I play GW2 for more than one day ... therefore it's not a big deal that it takes more than a day to get it. I'm not offended by some minor oversight because I play the game anyways and eventually I will get the mount /shrug

That's great for you that apparently has nothing to do all day but play GW2, some of us have jobs and families and RL so we are unable to sit and play for hours on end, which means I MIGHT be able to get it by Christmas but I'm not holding my breath.

I have a job and family, etc ... that's why time gating doesn't bother me ... because I know I will be playing over a series of days. Time gating doesn't bother people like us.

@miraude.2107 said:.......Don't make a map that you can blast through in one day!Anet makes a small teeny time-gate on the mount, requiring you to stay active in the map a teensy bit longerOMG, how dare you time-gate!!!!

And here I thought Mists of Pandaria was a time-gated grind to get the mounts I wanted....

Well thats not quite right, i played wow for 12 years this little 5 day timegate of gw2 is nothing on the scale of wows mount timegates for reputation. I dont even know how you can compare the two wow requires weeks and months of farming rep and grinding to get a mount, some require raiding to get others pvp grinds that carry a rating requirement. GW2 is so casual about this mount i really cant understand what the fuss is, the only thing i see is people want it immediately, meh a few days or a week really isnt a big deal.

@tekhiun.8653 said:

People are already nearly done with the map lol. Everything else can be done quite easily, with no timegate, except the one of the main features , which is the mount. Really it seems that you didnt even play the game. The only thing time locked is the mount. If they want people can be done with the map before they get the skygated mount.

That doesn't change what I said ... There are going to be some exceptional players that can do that. It's irrelevant to the conversation. In fact, it's exactly this reason I believe that there are time gates. MMO's make players pay somehow. Timegating is how Anet is making these exceptional players pay to get the mount.

Nobody is paying anything with it, this is a ridiculous concept.

It's not ridiculous, it's the whole foundation of how an MMO works ... people are paying in some kind of way, otherwise no MMO exist. With timegated content, you pay in waiting for time to pass. In MMO's you always pay somehow.

@Obtena.7952 said:

Well its objective to different peopleI play generally every day and it bothers me that I can do anything to progress for 24 hours so I pretty much stopped playing the content in that map till the reset happens.

My rebuttal to this is what if people only come back to the map to talk to the npc there is nothing we can see (yet, as far as i know) that is going to require people to come back and play the events and metas.

Except there is ... so nothing further to pontificate here. If you can't find something to do in that map for the time needed to get the mount, then you don't deserve it anyways.

You literally could not have read my post with any kind of understanding because none of what you said is what i implied by any means. Please read it again and rebuttal.

What does the timegate serve to do. What is its function. To keep the map populated with players? To keep them around for a cash shop update? (News flash, frustrated and annoyed consumers are less likely to make a purchase.) Why would you want to pool maps full of players frustrated over a timegate, just spamming negativity in the map chat and brewing a toxic community? How is that healthy for the game? It's not even just the in-game map chat(s), it's around the web too. Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, there's negativity-laden posts everywhere about this timegate. That's not good marketing. Timegates are lazy. They are garbage game design. If you want players to populate a map, make it interesting/fun/rewarding. Ironically, Dragonfall is actually rather rewarding and besides getting sick of it from overexposure to rush through a collection before the daily reset, pretty fun. The meta is good. It doesn't need this garbage timegate to stay populated. All this timegate serves to do right now is frustrate players, creating negativity in the community that doesn't need to be there. Going by the first stage, this is a massive collection. If you don't do each stage before the daily reset, you're going to be forced to wait yet another day. 5 days suddenly becomes 10-15 days for those who can't do a stage in a single sitting. Or even longer.. it creates this weird feeling of needing to finish the collection's stage before a daily reset, otherwise you got to wait even more. You lose the feeling of having the option to do it at your own pace, so you get overexposed to the content and tired of it. Who in their right mind likes a forced timegate anyways. I think the negativity is completely warranted. The timegate doesn't need to be there. I don't quite understand why ArenaNet has put it there in the first place, the content itself without the mount is good, a lot of us is just getting sick of it due to the frustration of the timegate and feeling forced to rush through a lot before a daily reset.

Timegates and grinds are something of the bad mmo past. Playing content, horizontal progression should be the only way, just like the core pof mounts. Just like in single player games. There may be a vocal minority who likes to force and grind themself to burnout and strain injury, like in the old days. It shouldnt be the standard, a mount is core functionality, not a bling bling legendary. And gameplay should not be hindered by timegates. Who cares there is a minority who blasts to everything by playing around the clock, let them. But putting hard locked restrictions on progressing should not be a thing.

@ProverbsofHell.2307 said:

The timegate is going to keep the map populated for longer,

I am currently not even playing the game because the time gate prevents me from progressing. So much for keeping map populated.

So what would you be doing if you'd gotten the Skyscale?

Be logged in right now. I took the day off to play around with skysckale maybe level it up, something. But I have to wait till reset because I’m one of the unlucky people who couldn’t play earlier yesterday.

@ZDragon.3046 said:

You literally could not have read my post with any kind of understanding because none of what you said is what i implied by any means. Please read it again and rebuttal.

The rebuttal is simple. If you need to come back to the map to complete the time gated content ... that IS the reason to go back. If you can't put forth the effort to do that for the few days that is required for the mount, then it's not hard to think you aren't willing to do much for anything in the game anyways.

@Absconditus.6804 said:What does the timegate serve to do. What is its function. To keep the map populated with players? Why would you want to pool maps full of players frustrated over a timegate, just spamming negativity in the map chat and brewing a toxic community? How is that healthy for the game? It's not even just the in-game map chat(s), it's around the web too. Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, there's negativity-laden posts everywhere about this timegate. That's not good marketing. Timegates are lazy. They are garbage game design. If you want players to populate a map, make it interesting/fun/rewarding. Ironically, Dragonfall is actually rather rewarding and besides getting sick of it from overexposure to rush through a collection before the daily reset, pretty fun. The meta is good. It doesn't need this garbage timegate to stay populated. All this timegate serves to do right now is frustrate players, creating negativity in the community that doesn't need to be there. Going by the first stage, this is a massive collection. If you don't do each stage before the daily reset, you're going to be forced to wait yet another day. 5 days suddenly becomes 10-15 days for those who can't do a stage in a single sitting. Or even longer.. it creates this weird feeling of needing to finish the collection's stage before a daily reset, otherwise you got to wait even more. You lose the feeling of having the option to do it at your own pace. Who in their right mind likes a forced timegate.

It's there because they know that they now have a community where a noticeable amount of players play the game for only 2-3 days after an update. Now those ppl would've to play 5+ days to get the reward that they want in a timely manner. this would also mean that these ppl could be around when they have their cash shop update the next week.

Other than that, in a game where the devs focus on releasing mostly more of the exact same stuff (maps), without any vertical player progression, with a game that has only some cosmetics as reward and most players at this point already look like they wanted to look, a game that pushes out for a good portion of the players only 2hrs of content every 4 months and where the devs themselves once stated that it's okay to play other games and not GW2 only. In a game that has no subscription model but focusses on ppl returning after months for a few days, timegating is pretty strange if you ask me.

I get why games like WoW are glorified waiting rooms, where you get as little content as the studio behind it can get away with, while they want you to waste as much of your subscription time as possible. But for GW2 this makes not much sense imo.

If they are really concerned that ppl are already done and gone before they at least get one more cash shop update, then just frigging release it at the patch day all together.

The only thing bothering me is that I cannot level my Mastery while doing all the other achievements on the map, which would be the best time to do that!

So I am left with the choice of stopping to play the new map until I have leveled the mount, or live with the downside of grinding more magic/XP after I am basically done with the map. Hmm...

"Actual problem"

It's a game for crying out loud, you'll get your mount over the course of seven days, why this incessant moaning over things taking time, for whatever reason Anet decided.

Maybe this way more people will get the Skyscale at the same time, not just the hardcore who nolifed the new patch for 72 hours non stop at launch.. it would certainly cater to casuals and letting them also get something new more or less "first" too for once.