Merged: Why the Skyscale Time-gate setup is an Actual Problem

Im slow to complete stuff so i dont have all masteries done, and i spent most of last night exploring the new map while also doing the story. It was 3 hours by the time i got around to starting the collections. But its not a big deal to me because nothing is wasted since i still get xp for masteries, im fine with the timegate of the mount, but i can understand people that have all mastery filled would be a bit upset.

@Adenin.5973 said:

@Ayakaru.6583 said:While I'm no fan of time gating as it feels arbitrary, i don't think it's as bad as a lot of people make it out to be.They're just preventing people from being done on day 1.I mean, even the story could be finished by in an hour.

Exactly. One hour content + 2-3 hours map completion and some events. This is the entire episode. Delayed and delayed again. To hide this they dilluted the content on 5 separate days. Stopping your progress to the mount even if you want to spend this effort. Is this a good design?

It's MMO design ... I don't get why this concept is so offensive to people ... I've yet to play an MMO where you don't see one of two things:
  1. Blast through new content
  2. Grind through new content

Either way, there are people that complain about it. That says nothing of the design being good or bad. We have content in this game that spans the spectrum of both.

Because you seem to forget what most MMOs offer with new updates. They offer a set of rewards that then can be aquired through new game modes or new mechanics, new character progression etc. If all you have after 7 years is the base game unchanged with a few new classes and then you throw every 4 months a new map in that ppl play for 3 hrs then that's not good game design.

The mounts offer new game mechanics, at least in the way you move around in the game. They offer new customization etc. That's why ppl got so excited, not only about the mount but about the episode itself. Having the mount behind a timer that is longer than the time many ppl can bear running around and doing the same year old gameloop in yet another map.

And having the most tedious and soulless and unfun collections on top of the time gating is not making it any better.

So why are you here defending something like timegating? We all already know it's a game. We are here to tell anet that what they implemented sucks and we want them to make it better. We're not here because our lives ended and we're falling into depression. If you think we're only crying then I don't honestly know why you are going to the one place where ppl criticize and give feedback for the devs.

Really? 7 years and Guild wars 2 have nothing new, but the base game and a new map every 4 months? You do realise that spewing such nonsense only discredit however many good points you might have made in your post?

Guild wars 2 currently has the most stable and consistant game content being periodically released, most of it for free, yet people continue to find things to complain about. You haven't paid anything for it, so if you don't like it, then simply don't play it. But you, nor anyone else are entitled to demand Anet to change it, because you/they don't like it. Pretty sure you should be also talking for yourself only and not other people.

People hardly give any constructive feedback in the number of topics I've seen on the subject. All it boils down to 'I don't like it, so you should change it!'Most of the posts are just over the top dramatic. It's not the first content ever being time-gated, yet suddenly this seems like such a HUGE issue.

And since when spirit shards are such a big issue? Ever since PoF released i haven't been getting any Spirit Shards from its maps, since I haven't bothered with unlocking every single mount mastery yet, and I am sitting at 8k Shards atm. Core Tyria and HoT should've gotten you tons of Shards already.