"Just Adapt"?... How about "Just Have Consideration"

Whiteout.1975

@Swagger.1459 said:

@"Vayne.8563" said:This reaction comes from years of hearing people complaining about the most minor things. I've seen so many people say a profession is ruined because of a nerf that killed their favorite build, and I've gone on to use that profession successfully. In an MMO, adaptation is the name of the game. They devs change what happens and adapting to it often is the game. We have to adapt to new metas. New mechanics. New content.

I had to adapt to raids being in the game, even if I don't raid. I had to adapt to not being able to get all the rewards without doing something i don't enjoy. I used to complain about it, but stopped and adapted.

Were the people wrong to tell me to adapt? Nope. Nor was I wrong to complain. The irony here is that you don't like people tell you not to complain and adapt, but you're telling people not to answer your complaint with what they feel is the real answer.

You just need to adapt to people telling you to adapt. I did. lol

Oh the assumptions... Haha this isn't a reaction of someone or group to me at any point in time. This is just something I've noticed throughout the years (through various reads). What is "minor" might actually end up being highly subjective btw.

Your missing part of what I originally said though... "thrown to the wind"... "Simply because they hold different opinion on something". If a game never get's criticized or maybe complained about in some manner... How does that help the game? If it cannot then look upon for it's possible mistakes.The game would have all it's possible and actual problems ignored if we simply "just adapted".

In other words... I'm saying that often "Just Adapt" is thrown around as a simple answer to things that are often not all that simple. It is often done in such a way that
assumes
the other side has no real value and rather encourages it to be ignored.

Now obviously someone with no real issues will simply "Just Adapt".Otherwise, "Just Have Consideration".

Vayne didn't make assumptions... Having said that, telling players to respond to things in a particular way will never happen. And not sure why this post is in the wvw section, or how it improves the current state of wvw or the game.

The moral of the story in the OP is incredibly simple... "Just Have Consideration". Though it appears some people rather not.

So You can go back up a read where I pointed the assumption out and how it was. I have no reason to relist it here. Whether or not that was their intention is another story... Though I have nothing against them ether way.

Okay... I'm not telling anyone how to respond. I'm suggesting a problem with a particular response. Now you know the difference... I hope. Also, Who said I was expecting anything to happen lol? Doesn't really hurt to talk about things without always complete expectation of outcome in mind. Also, this post is in the WvW section because it's where I've seen the phrase used enough over the years... Similar to "Just Dodge". It's the attitude that helps drive the game... Though I can talk more on this anyways in the next section of the reply...

Edit- You should take your own advice and "have consideration" for other readers by only posting things that move the game in a better direction, or that discuss game elements, not take up space telling others how they should respond because you have issues with someone typing "just adapt".

How can anyone even attempt to move the game into "a better direction"... If you can only "just adapt" in way to where you are completely oblivious to a real sense of care towards the "direction" of the game?This attitude basically says... "Doesn't matter/Who cares how the game changes"... "Just adapt".

Also, again, I'm not telling people how to respond... "I'm suggesting a problem with a particular response."Thank You for your feedback.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Whiteout.1975 said:

@"Vayne.8563" said:This reaction comes from years of hearing people complaining about the most minor things. I've seen so many people say a profession is ruined because of a nerf that killed their favorite build, and I've gone on to use that profession successfully. In an MMO, adaptation is the name of the game. They devs change what happens and adapting to it often is the game. We have to adapt to new metas. New mechanics. New content.

I had to adapt to raids being in the game, even if I don't raid. I had to adapt to not being able to get all the rewards without doing something i don't enjoy. I used to complain about it, but stopped and adapted.

Were the people wrong to tell me to adapt? Nope. Nor was I wrong to complain. The irony here is that you don't like people tell you not to complain and adapt, but you're telling people not to answer your complaint with what they feel is the real answer.

Oh the assumptions... Haha this isn't a reaction of someone or group to me at any point in time. This is just something I've noticed throughout the years (through various reads). What is "minor" might actually end up being highly subjective btw.

Your missing part of what I originally said though... "thrown to the wind"... "Simply because they hold different opinion on something". If a game never get's criticized or maybe complained about in some manner... How does that help the game? If it cannot then look upon for it's possible mistakes.The game would have all it's possible and actual problems ignored if we simply "just adapted".

In other words... I'm saying that often "Just Adapt" is thrown around as a simple answer to things that are often not all that simple. It is often done in such a way that
assumes

Now obviously someone with no real issues will simply "Just Adapt".Otherwise, "Just Have Consideration".

Vayne didn't make assumptions... Having said that, telling players to respond to things in a particular way will never happen. And not sure why this post is in the wvw section, or how it improves the current state of wvw or the game.

The moral of the story in the OP is incredibly simple... "Just Have Consideration". Though it appears some people rather not.

So You can go back up a read where I pointed the assumption out and how it was. I have no reason to relist it here. Whether or not that was their intention is another story... Though I have nothing against them ether way.

Okay... I'm not telling anyone how to respond. I'm suggesting a problem with a particular response. Now you know the difference... I hope. Also, Who said I was expecting anything to happen lol? Doesn't really hurt to talk about things without always complete expectation of outcome in mind. Also, this post is in the WvW section because it's where I've seen the phrase used enough over the years... Similar to "Just Dodge". It's the attitude that helps drive the game... Though I can talk more on this anyways in the next section of the reply...

Edit- You should take your own advice and "have consideration" for other readers by only posting things that move the game in a better direction, or that discuss game elements, not take up space telling others how they should respond because you have issues with someone typing "just adapt".

How can anyone even attempt to move the game into "a better direction"... If you can only "just adapt" in way to where you are completely oblivious to a real sense of care towards the "direction" of the game?This attitude basically says... "Doesn't matter/Who cares how the game changes"... "Just adapt".

Also, again, I'm not telling people how to respond... "I'm suggesting a problem with a particular response."Thank You for your feedback.

The moral of the story should be accept people for who they are, because you can't change them. That's the real moral. Are some people going to judge. Yes. Fact. Some people will be quick to judge, quick to ignore all evidence. Will those people at all change based on what you say in a post on the forums? Nope. Those people aren't going to change. That's the point.

Plenty of things that I've said that are factually true that people argue with. I never tell them to change, because if they won't listen to statement one, why would they listen to statement two? I just write it off as those people don't agree with me, and won't listen to what I have to say and talk to the people who will listen. Saying they should listen may be correct...but it won't happen.

@Whiteout.1975 said:

assumes

This thread is meaningless to the game. And it’s not your place to tell anyone what to say, or what not to say for that matter.

@Vayne.8563 said:

@Vayne.8563 said:This reaction comes from years of hearing people complaining about the most minor things. I've seen so many people say a profession is ruined because of a nerf that killed their favorite build, and I've gone on to use that profession successfully. In an MMO, adaptation is the name of the game. They devs change what happens and adapting to it often is the game. We have to adapt to new metas. New mechanics. New content.

assumes

The moral of the story should be accept people for who they are, because you can't change them. That's the real moral. Are some people going to judge. Yes. Fact. Some people will be quick to judge, quick to ignore all evidence. Will those people at all change based on what you say in a post on the forums? Nope. Those people aren't going to change. That's the point.

Okay... I'm not telling anyone to change though lol. So I don't see how this moral/point came out of a motive that was never present. I'm making a suggestion regarding the simplicity of the phrase "Just adapt"... And what that can entail whether or not it's intended. If people choose to change from that (should they feel the need)... Be my guest. I don't care ether way. I'm just hear to discuss the negatives in just doing so and the implications that phrase can easily bring. That's it.

My conclusions from that is we all should have consideration. If people choose not to... Very well. However, that doesn't detract from or devalue the point.

Plenty of things that I've said that are factually true that people argue with. I never tell them to change, because if they won't listen to statement one, why would they listen to statement two? I just write it off as those people don't agree with me, and won't listen to what I have to say and talk to the people who will listen. Saying they should listen may be correct...but it won't happen.

I'm sure there are things you've probably said that were "true" before. Though, I'm sure you went in knowing full well, that whom ever you were going to converse with. There was a chance you recognized that you may not agree and also as you stated about them not listening... Or ultimately "changing" for themselves. Yet you took the risk and had the discussion regardless... Why?

I have an Idea as to why... If it's any similar to my own. My reason is because if I don't have that discussion (like I am right now) then I will never know the potential impact that would have them, myself and perhaps others. The initial purpose is to think about something with meaning... Not to suddenly expect a change before, during or after. This discussion is no different :)

@Swagger.1459 said:

assumes

This thread is meaningless to the game. And it’s not your place to tell anyone what to say, or what not to say for that matter.

"Meaningless to the game" or meaningless to you? This is what I ask myself. Yet you willing participate in this supposed "meaningless thread" @Swagger.1459 lol. Which actually helps give it some kind of extra value I suppose... So Thank You.

Now, you can go and find where I specially "tell anyone what to say, or what not to say" as you put it... But I wish you luck on that endeavor :)

@Whiteout.1975 said:

assumes

"Meaningless to the game" or meaningless to you? This is what I ask myself. Yet you willing participate in this supposed "meaningless thread" @Swagger.1459 lol. Which actually helps give it some kind of extra value I suppose... So Thank You.

Now, you can go and find where I specially "tell anyone what to say, or what not to say" as you put it... But I wish you luck on that endeavor :)

The thread is meaningless to the game and will be gone or closed at some point.

@Swagger.1459 said:

assumes

Amazin' B)

@Swagger.1459 said:

assumes

Well theyve closed 2 this mornin already..

My eulogy to WvW was just removed for not being positive!

@Vayne.8563 said:This reaction comes from years of hearing people complaining about the most minor things. I've seen so many people say a profession is ruined because of a nerf that killed their favorite build, and I've gone on to use that profession successfully. In an MMO, adaptation is the name of the game. They devs change what happens and adapting to it often is the game. We have to adapt to new metas. New mechanics. New content.

Adapt means to change. You did not have to change when raids were added.

@Ashen.2907 said:

Adapt means to change. You did not have to change when raids were added.

The game changed and I had to adapt to those changes. Pre raids, I could get every single thing in the game without really going and doing something I didn't enjoy. I could PvP and WvW with far less preparation and planning than raiding. Raiding isn't fun for me. Since there were now rewards I would never have, that fundamentally changed the way I had to approach the game and required me to adapt. I know people who left the game because raids were introduced, because they felt, wrongly or rightly, that they were suddenly going to become second class citizens. It requires me to adapt, whether or not I raid.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:Consideration is a unrealistic expectations from people of today. Just adapt,get gud and just dodge are all just troll replies by either players trying to justify or defend their broken spec/build or are posting just get gud or l2p on threads that players are either complaining about a nerf or are asking for a buff on a class they have a bias dislike for. It's always been this way and will never change, certainly not for the better lol.

So when the Warriors dominate the NBA, the response from other teams shouldn't be to adapt their strategies?

"Just adapt" isn't a troll response. It's the rational response to competition.

I rational response that can be used in a rational discussion yes true but also a irrational response to irrational discussions that are the norm here. As a example 3 out of9 classes could be blatantly over performing and dominating all other specs and one could just say adapt in response :) or instead of nerfing permastealth DE's arenet could have buffed their stealth and damage more and us thieves could have simply replied that all the players just need to adapt or get gud lol

Given the vagueness of the original post, examples we could come up with become meaningless. Both sentiments become correct. Nuance is lost as the OP attempts to hammer in one specific sentiment for a wide variety of situations like a blunt tool.

@Solori.6025 said:

@ArchonWing.9480 said:But people are adapting. They can't hurt enemies in game, so they try to do damage by walls of text complaining about it.

This is correct.

Theres more conflict here than in an open world pvp environment.

That just means we need forum mounts so people can run away

That already happens. Someone tries to post some bad attempt at wit to discredit you, and then when you reply they are never seen again. Or maybe they come back with friends to blob your post down when you are asleep. (more effective if it were reddit though...)

@ArchonWing.9480 said:

@ArchonWing.9480 said:But people are adapting. They can't hurt enemies in game, so they try to do damage by walls of text complaining about it.

This is correct.

That already happens. Someone tries to post some bad attempt at wit to discredit you, and then when you reply they are never seen again. Or maybe they come back with friends to blob your post down when you are asleep. (more effective if it were reddit though...)

Lol a forum ganking

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

This is correct.

Lol a forum ganking

This is correct.

Ahh the good ole days of thumbs down

@Solori.6025 said:

This is correct.

Lol a forum ganking

This is correct.

Ahh the good ole days of thumbs down

It was a good week

@Whiteout.1975 said:

@"DeadlySynz.3471" said:It doesn't usually come in the form of a differing or opposing opinion. It comes in the form of "X, Y, & Z" needs to be adjusted to be less effective or nerfed. This is done "without giving consideration" to how it actually affects the classes overall performance.

Ok, the way your putting it here is if it's often/always premeditated to give a lack of consideration. Not true. Often times it's for a better/good cause in their mind whether or not you agree with it.

You could literally go through thread by thread made by the OP or others agreeing with them that whatever they are told to adapt to, they are in effect saying something needs be nerfed without justification with a completely over-exaggerated claim.

This in itself... is not only an exaggerated claim, but a dishonest one. I always give justification's any moment I'm able especially in light of me giving criticism. Whether or not you or someone else agree's is another story. So if you truly wish to have a genuine conversation... Please then don't spread lies/misinformation about me and (perhaps) others in a shallow attempt to strengthen your position. Otherwise I just won't waste my time the next round. Thank You.

An example, someone mentions Soulbeast's rapid fire is OP because it does 30K damage. This is their "differing or opposing opinion". First off, the opinion is wrong because rapid fire does not do 30K damage, or at least in any regular way. Full berserker, 25 stacks of might, attack of opportunity, and full stacks of vulnerability against a glass target won't yield a 30K rapid fire strike. So whatever they are doing to hit that hard, it seems to be a case of the stars are in aligning to make it happen. You'd be lucky to get 20K but the majority of the time it hits in the 10-15K range to someone who largely who just stands there and eats it. Realistically though, most people don't go straight glass, and a good chunk of the time they have barrier, and possibly protection. A normal WvW target (because this thread is in WvW), rapid fire hits 2k-5k. This is anything but OP, whether it's unblockable or not.

So we have people repeatedly claiming (and some agreeing) that it has to be adjusted or nerfed in some way. The question is why.. why is their opposing opinion correct or even holds merit that Anet should look at it and make adjustments? The attack the vast majority of the time does 2k-5k, and pretty much will need to be paired with unblockable to even hit the target. Why does an attack that does lackluster damage when compared to other classes attacks need to be nerfed?

Is it because the person making the over-exaggerated claim is running a necro and is largely defenseless against them? Rock, paper, scissors; a necro will need a whole lot of luck to take down a ranger that's focused them. Don't complain about a rangers rapid fire attack if you're using a class that's slow and has no reflects. Adapt, pick a different class and accept your necro class can't deal with the ranger.

I agree. People should try to adapt.I'm saying people shouldn't simply "just adapt". And I'll tell you the difference...

If it were true to "just adapt" always. Then any balance changes made to the game etc. would automatically 100% justified because we should all "just adapt". Which in turn would ignore potential issues with the game whether or not people are in agreement to them.Now unless they're, like I said before, "some Fanboy in praise of everything of their Idol(s)". Then they would be able to see this difference and see why this would be a problem.

Players
need
to adapt to what's coming at them, not expecting whatever class they're facing to be nerfed to the ground so they can handle them with whatever build they're using.

Player's
should
try to adapt. Also, I agree; that expectation is ridiculous... Because it's not reasonable to have "be all, do all build". Doesn't mean criticism (talking in general) is
always
/automatically unjustified simply because anyone else disagrees with it.

If the simply stated "Just Adapt" is the cure. Then Anet not only becomes immune to criticism... No real care or consideration for the game can be given, because we should simply "Just Adapt" without a second thought. No Thank You.

I thought I should clarify something, that point I made about going through any threads by the OP... that wasn't directed at you. I was meaning the OP of whatever thread was created. I didn't mean going through thread by thread you created :) Poorly worded on my part.

@DeadlySynz.3471 said:

@DeadlySynz.3471 said:It doesn't usually come in the form of a differing or opposing opinion. It comes in the form of "X, Y, & Z" needs to be adjusted to be less effective or nerfed. This is done "without giving consideration" to how it actually affects the classes overall performance.

Ok, the way your putting it here is if it's often/always premeditated to give a lack of consideration. Not true. Often times it's for a better/good cause in their mind whether or not you agree with it.

You could literally go through thread by thread made by the OP or others agreeing with them that whatever they are told to adapt to, they are in effect saying something needs be nerfed without justification with a completely over-exaggerated claim.

This in itself... is not only an exaggerated claim, but a dishonest one. I always give justification's any moment I'm able especially in light of me giving criticism. Whether or not you or someone else agree's is another story. So if you truly wish to have a genuine conversation... Please then don't spread lies/misinformation about me and (perhaps) others in a shallow attempt to strengthen your position. Otherwise I just won't waste my time the next round. Thank You.

An example, someone mentions Soulbeast's rapid fire is OP because it does 30K damage. This is their "differing or opposing opinion". First off, the opinion is wrong because rapid fire does not do 30K damage, or at least in any regular way. Full berserker, 25 stacks of might, attack of opportunity, and full stacks of vulnerability against a glass target won't yield a 30K rapid fire strike. So whatever they are doing to hit that hard, it seems to be a case of the stars are in aligning to make it happen. You'd be lucky to get 20K but the majority of the time it hits in the 10-15K range to someone who largely who just stands there and eats it. Realistically though, most people don't go straight glass, and a good chunk of the time they have barrier, and possibly protection. A normal WvW target (because this thread is in WvW), rapid fire hits 2k-5k. This is anything but OP, whether it's unblockable or not.

So we have people repeatedly claiming (and some agreeing) that it has to be adjusted or nerfed in some way. The question is why.. why is their opposing opinion correct or even holds merit that Anet should look at it and make adjustments? The attack the vast majority of the time does 2k-5k, and pretty much will need to be paired with unblockable to even hit the target. Why does an attack that does lackluster damage when compared to other classes attacks need to be nerfed?

Is it because the person making the over-exaggerated claim is running a necro and is largely defenseless against them? Rock, paper, scissors; a necro will need a whole lot of luck to take down a ranger that's focused them. Don't complain about a rangers rapid fire attack if you're using a class that's slow and has no reflects. Adapt, pick a different class and accept your necro class can't deal with the ranger.

I agree. People should try to adapt.I'm saying people shouldn't simply "just adapt". And I'll tell you the difference...

If it were true to "just adapt" always. Then any balance changes made to the game etc. would automatically 100% justified because we should all "just adapt". Which in turn would ignore potential issues with the game whether or not people are in agreement to them.Now unless they're, like I said before, "some Fanboy in praise of everything of their Idol(s)". Then they would be able to see this difference and see why this would be a problem.

Players
need
to adapt to what's coming at them, not expecting whatever class they're facing to be nerfed to the ground so they can handle them with whatever build they're using.

Player's
should
try to adapt. Also, I agree; that expectation is ridiculous... Because it's not reasonable to have "be all, do all build". Doesn't mean criticism (talking in general) is
always

If the simply stated "Just Adapt" is the cure. Then Anet not only becomes immune to criticism... No real care or consideration for the game can be given, because we should simply "Just Adapt" without a second thought. No Thank You.

I thought I should clarify something, that point I made about going through any threads by the OP... that wasn't directed at you. I was meaning the OP of whatever thread was created. I didn't mean going through thread by thread you created :) Poorly worded on my part.

@DeadlySynz.3471 said:It doesn't usually come in the form of a differing or opposing opinion. It comes in the form of "X, Y, & Z" needs to be adjusted to be less effective or nerfed. This is done "without giving consideration" to how it actually affects the classes overall performance.

Players
need

Player's
should
always

I actually wasn't going to be active on the forums today because I needed a small break. Then I saw you typed this. And I just wanted to say how much I honestly appreciate you taking the time to say that... It honestly surprised me at first coming from you lol. Anyways, yea don't worry about it... just Thank You :)

@Chaba.5410 said:

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:Consideration is a unrealistic expectations from people of today. Just adapt,get gud and just dodge are all just troll replies by either players trying to justify or defend their broken spec/build or are posting just get gud or l2p on threads that players are either complaining about a nerf or are asking for a buff on a class they have a bias dislike for. It's always been this way and will never change, certainly not for the better lol.

So when the Warriors dominate the NBA, the response from other teams shouldn't be to adapt their strategies?

I rational response that can be used in a rational discussion yes true but also a irrational response to irrational discussions that are the norm here. As a example 3 out of9 classes could be blatantly over performing and dominating all other specs and one could just say adapt in response :) or instead of nerfing permastealth DE's arenet could have buffed their stealth and damage more and us thieves could have simply replied that all the players just need to adapt or get gud lol

Given the vagueness of the original post, examples we could come up with become meaningless. Both sentiments become correct. Nuance is lost as the OP attempts to hammer in one specific sentiment for a wide variety of situations like a blunt tool.

I apologize if I came across as vague in the OP. I'll try to break it down for anyone else that ether are not getting the full picture or misunderstanding what I'm really saying.

So basically, of course we are gonna have to adapt if we are going to continue playing the game :)I am saying we shouldn't "Just Adapt" when playing the game. We should consider what we are actually adapting into before we actually do it. Otherwise the game starts to become meaningless if people are just adapting for the sake of it.

In doing so... We should not just assume what is at the other end of that adaptation process... Is always going to be without fault. It should be worthy of adaptation by at least basic moral standards firstly. So that people can make a healthy adaptation.

• A somewhat recent example of this... Warclaw. I have no issues ultimately with it's existence. However, I would see people type to other's with a legit problem basically say... "Just Adapt". And this was also during when Warclaw could hop over gates much easier and before @Anet recognized it. Certain people would defend the thing up and down as if it were without "fault". Now, I didn't want to add a Warclaw example here, but it's one of the recent I can think of at this time.

So IMO, No... We should not "Just Adapt" into things. We should have consideration over what we are adapting into at all times.Now, if someone chooses not to... They can go for it, but I certainly will not follow. I'll stick with having consideration.

Using "consideration" to shape an adaptation does not significantly differ from "adaptation". The core implication is that one is passive while the other is active, yet both are and must be active. One cannot "adapt" without examining and "considering" the conditions to which they adapt. Conversely, the "consideration" of an environment is itself an adaptation, determining when and how to utilize that information.

This is a tautology disguised as epiphany, hence the arguments.

@Whiteout.1975 said:

I apologize if I came across as vague in the OP. I'll try to break it down for anyone else that ether are not getting the full picture or misunderstanding what I'm really saying.

So basically, of course we are gonna have to adapt if we are going to continue playing the game :)I am saying we shouldn't "Just Adapt" when playing the game. We should consider what we are actually adapting into before we actually do it. Otherwise the game starts to become meaningless if people are just adapting for the sake of it.

In doing so... We should not just assume what is at the other end of that adaptation process... Is always going to be without fault. It should be worthy of adaptation by at least basic moral standards firstly. So that people can make a
healthy
adaptation.
  • A somewhat recent example of this... Warclaw. I have no issues ultimately with it's existence. However, I would see people type to other's with a legit problem basically say... "Just Adapt". And this was also during when Warclaw could hop over gates much easier and before @Anet recognized it. Certain people would defend the thing up and down as if it were without "fault". Now, I didn't want to add a Warclaw example here, but it's one of the recent I can think of at this time.

So IMO, No... We should not "Just Adapt" into things. We should have consideration over what we are adapting into at all times.Now, if someone chooses not to... They can go for it, but I certainly will not follow. I'll stick with having consideration.

You shouldnt have to explain common sense but well done.

@sephiroth.4217 said:

In doing so... We should not just assume what is at the other end of that adaptation process... Is always going to be without fault. It should be worthy of adaptation by at least basic moral standards firstly. So that people can make a
healthy
adaptation.

You shouldnt have to explain common sense but well done.

What are you going on about? Go back through this thread and count how many different interpretations of the original post was given. It jumps from "opinions" and "something they just don't like" to tangible changes to skills/traits to bugs and exploits with new things as everyone trying to guess what is being said and discover different situations it applies to.

I like what Trise above wrote the most. Consideration of the facts of game mechanics IS adaptation. That is something far different from considering a different opinion.