Missed opportunity to make a wyvern

It was said in the Skyscale demo that they wanted to keep the "4 legs, 2 wings" model because it was more familiar to the player and that a "2 legs, 2 wings" model was generally for the bad guys. I do not think this is the real reason, and if it is I think it's a bad one. What I think is that it was easyer for the animation team to re-use the griffon model again, and so they just had to go for an identical body shape.

I find it sad because every mount so far had its identity, up to its movements and proportions. The roller beetle was amazing and refreshing! Now we have a griffon, and a scaly griffon thing, and they both have the same shape and share several animations... They obviously tried to make it look different, so hard that the thing has a permanent weird pose and seems to tell "Hey! Look how I'm standing, I'm not a griffon okay"...

It was already not great for the Warclaw but still good because it shared a coherent feline base and wasn't in the same gamemode, but this new one is bugging me. I think a wyvern would've been mutch better, original and differenciated from the others mounts, not to mention more fitting to the lore: We've already seen pleny of firebreathing wyverns, why bother creating a new beast that's related to dragons but somehow not an actual dragon? Why not give us something that we've already seen and thus can be excited about, but never actually experienced? I hope we see a good wyvern skin someday, it looks possible with a few animation tweaks...

Yep, unbelievable that they're reusing the griffon skeleton a THIRD time. A 200-300 person developer that can't stop reusing assets. The "it's good enough" mentality has claimed yet another victim, it would seem.

Oh, by the way ANet, if you're going to endlessly reuse the griffon skeleton, how about fixing the hickup/stutter in its run loop before doing so?

@"gateless gate.8406" said:Yep, unbelievable that they're reusing the griffon skeleton a THIRD time. A 200-300 person developer that can't stop reusing assets. The "it's good enough" mentality has claimed yet another victim, it would seem.

Oh, by the way ANet, if you're going to endlessly reuse the griffon skeleton, how about fixing the hickup/stutter in its run loop before doing so?

You haven't been paying much attention if this is the first recycled rig you've noticed. It's a very common time- and cost-saving practice. At least ANet takes the time to create a different creature, with its own skin, body type, and animations rather than just change the color palate.

@Trise.2865 said:

@"gateless gate.8406" said:Yep, unbelievable that they're reusing the griffon skeleton a
THIRD
time. A 200-300 person developer that can't stop reusing assets. The "it's good enough" mentality has claimed yet another victim, it would seem.

You haven't been paying much attention if this is the first recycled rig you've noticed. It's a very common time- and cost-saving practice. At least ANet takes the time to create a different creature, with its own skin, body type, and animations rather than just change the color palate.

Yea it's already been done. For random open world mobs. A mount deserves better, it's something tied to your character that you bring everywhere.

@"Dragon Priestess.9760" said:There are wyverns in almost every other game. So, no thanks. I prefer traditional european dragons.

We could have a dragon skin for the griffon. It wouldn't be incompatible with the addition of a wyvern mount, and more different models allow for more original skins for everyone to enjoy. I mean, a wyvern rig would've allowed bird-themed skins, imagine riding a vulture, how cool would that be? But we can't have that with a"traditional European dragon" rig.

@Trise.2865 said:

@"gateless gate.8406" said:Yep, unbelievable that they're reusing the griffon skeleton a
THIRD
time. A 200-300 person developer that can't stop reusing assets. The "it's good enough" mentality has claimed yet another victim, it would seem.

Ooh, a strawman argument, how fun! /s

Which other mount skeleton besides griffon is re-used? None.

Some level of reuse is obviously understandable and necessary. It's not reasonable to expect every random critter and mob to have unique skeletons. Fortunately, that's not what we're talking about.

@gateless gate.8406 said:

@gateless gate.8406 said:Yep, unbelievable that they're reusing the griffon skeleton a
THIRD

Which other
mount
skeleton besides griffon is re-used? None.

Some level of reuse is obviously understandable and necessary. It's not reasonable to expect every random critter and mob to have unique skeletons. Fortunately, that's not what we're talking about.

Raptor, Springer, and Jackal use existing rigs, and that's not what a "strawman" is. Nice ad hominem though.

@Dragon Priestess.9760 said:There are wyverns in almost every other game. So, no thanks. I prefer traditional european dragons.

Umm there are dragons in just about every mmo of the genre . I personally would love a wyvern too! In wow all you had was dragons out the wazoo only the proto drakes kinda reminded me of wyvern , and i rode those all the time.

@Trise.2865 said:

@gateless gate.8406 said:Yep, unbelievable that they're reusing the griffon skeleton a
THIRD

Which other
mount
skeleton besides griffon is re-used? None.

Raptor, Springer, and Jackal use existing rigs, and that's not what a "strawman" is. Nice ad hominem though.

Wrong and wrong.

1. Let me know which mobs you think use the animation skeleton of any of those mounts.
  2. Strawmanning: Establishing or implying a weak argument in place of your opponent's actual position, and then arguing against it (https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/straw%20man). This thread is not about animation recycling in general. The comment you replied to is not about animation recycling in general. It is about recycling animations for mounts.

I think the Skyscale is essentially a cut and paste model of Aurine.. and Aurine is pretty much a modified model of the Griffon.

It probably wouldn't be too much work to modify the Wyvern models into usable mounts but I guess it was simply quicker and easier to go with the Skyscale as that work had already been done for Aurine.

I like both Wyverns and Dragons but given the choice I'd rather have gone with the Skyscale as it is rather than a Wyvern, this is mostly due to Wyverns becoming increasingly common in games, movies and even popular Tv often times wrongly potrayed as Dragons despite their obvious Wyvern traits.Both Skyrim and Game of Thrones are very popular examples of this mislabeling.

Having more traditional Dragon designs in Guidlwars is something i'm pretty happy about and we've seen various forms so far along side Wyverns as well which makes me even more happy.Skyscales, Aurine and Kralkatorrik all have great 4 legged designs and Mordremoth followed the Serpent design, I dunno what the hell Zhatan was supposed to be but it worked for him lolMakes me very curious as to what the other 3 Elders look like but in my mind I picture Bubbles looking something akin to a hybrid of Turtle, Dragon and Kraken.

@Teratus.2859 said:I think the Skyscale is essentially a cut and paste model of Aurine.. and Aurine is pretty much a modified model of the Griffon.

It probably wouldn't be too much work to modify the Wyvern models into usable mounts but I guess it was simply quicker and easier to go with the Skyscale as that work had already been done for Aurine.

I like both Wyverns and Dragons but given the choice I'd rather have gone with the Skyscale as it is rather than a Wyvern, this is mostly due to Wyverns becoming increasingly common in games, movies and even popular Tv often times wrongly potrayed as Dragons despite their obvious Wyvern traits.Both Skyrim and Game of Thrones are very popular examples of this mislabeling.

Having more traditional Dragon designs in Guidlwars is something i'm pretty happy about and we've seen various forms so far along side Wyverns as well which makes me even more happy.Skyscales, Aurine and Kralkatorrik all have great 4 legged designs and Mordremoth followed the Serpent design, I dunno what the hell Zhatan was supposed to be but it worked for him lolMakes me very curious as to what the other 3 Elders look like but in my mind I picture Bubbles looking something akin to a hybrid of Turtle, Dragon and Kraken.

As I said, a dragon skin for the griffon would've covered that. It would've allowed for a wyvern to exist and for people to have a dragon if they want to, win-win.

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@"ROMANG.1903" said:

Easy solution to the problem you're describing:

OWyRH39.png

I sincerely hope for this. They're gonna have a hard time merging the front legs and the wings, but it looks doable. If it's a 1600 gems skin it will be my first purchase of those, though I hope we get some less flashy wyvern versions in mount liscences as well. But still, a dedicated wyvern rig would've been so much better...

@ROMANG.1903 said:

@Teratus.2859 said:I think the Skyscale is essentially a cut and paste model of Aurine.. and Aurine is pretty much a modified model of the Griffon.

As I said, a dragon skin for the griffon would've covered that. It would've allowed for a wyvern to exist and for people to have a dragon if they want to, win-win.

Wouldn't for me, I have a personal distaste for mount skins that replace the actual mount for a different creature.That's the main reason I don't like most of the 2000 gem premium skins which turn the Griffon into a Lion, Springer into a Goat, Skimmer into a Hummingbird and Jackel into a Forged etc.Don't get me wrong the skins are cool but they bug the hell out of me in all honesty.. and I kinda wish there was an option for me to disable them specifically so I wouldn't have to see others using them.I'm not going to go begging for that though nor am I going to berate other players for using them for obvious reasons.

I wanted a Dragon mount not a Dragon skin for a different animal and i'm glad the Skyscale was unique enough to warrant it, and as I said in my post, Wyverns are so overdone in games and other media these days.. it's refreshing to me anyway that GW2 has actual Dragons with actual Dragon designs.

@Teratus.2859 said:

Wouldn't for me, I have a personal distaste for mount skins that replace the actual mount for a different creature.That's the main reason I don't like most of the 2000 gem premium skins which turn the Griffon into a Lion, Springer into a Goat, Skimmer into a Hummingbird and Jackel into a Forged etc.Don't get me wrong the skins are cool but they bug the hell out of me in all honesty.. and I kinda wish there was an option for me to disable them specifically so I wouldn't have to see others using them.I'm not going to go begging for that though nor am I going to berate other players for using them for obvious reasons.

I wanted a Dragon mount not a Dragon skin for a different animal and i'm glad the Skyscale was unique enough to warrant it, and as I said in my post, Wyverns are so overdone in games and other media these days.. it's refreshing to me anyway that GW2 has actual Dragons with actual Dragon designs.

Okay, but the skyscale actually is a griffon skin with slightly different animations, so the situation isn't great for you either ¯_(ツ)_/¯

@ROMANG.1903 said:

Okay, but the skyscale actually is a griffon skin with slightly different animations, so the situation isn't great for you either ¯_(ツ)_/¯

It's still it's own mount, that's what matters in the end.We could make the same argument for a Wyvern skimmer skin if it really didn't matter to those who wanted a Wyvern.

Missed? Maybe delayed? They can make a skin (that I personally won't buy because I prefer a dragon).

However it's not the issue with Skyscale at the moment. I couldn't care less about the way it looks (and honestly I like it). The problem is that you basically need a legendary collection for a weaker Springer.