Question about ranged weapon for Mirage

zullee.1430

Hello I am following this build http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Mirage_-_Axe/x_Infinite_Horizon but I want to use a range weapon as my secondary instead of the recommended torch. Useing Viper gear which range weapon would be best? I like the Greatsword but I don't think it benefits much from Viper gear does it? Thanks for your help.

Edit: for extra clarification I'm using axe and pistol. And for my weapon swap I want to use a ranged weapon

Mostly I just learned to stay in melee range with all of the mirage cloaks and distortions that mirage gives. The reason for this is simple: the ranged options are pretty bad. I played around with both scepter and staff, and neither of them are any good.

For overall performance, though, I would recommend the staff. Number one, it does 50% more damage on auto attack. Number two, the bouncing projectiles mean it has a wide area of effect. Number three, the ambush attack pierces, so it can do plenty of AoE damage at range. Aside from that, the staff lacks any real PVE utility. Chaos zone is a novelty at best, chaos armor is useless, the phantasm is power based so it doesn't do much, and the clone generating skill warps you back, ruining your position. But, damage is damage.

• 1 month later...

This is what I'm running now: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vhAQNAW7fnELD1LjVoBOoBMMjlXDDNAkTeOmdgZQNxf/VAPgA-jByCQBXU5HFuIAHU9n7p75YHBgWqEkZ7PAgHAApAqSZF-e

I really didn't find Pistol to be fun to use, so for awhile I ran Axe/Torch + x/Focus for pulls, but in the end I discovered that Staff works really great if you had to deal with Elites of Champions. You can stay at range while you clones effectively tank for you, and the constant trickle of healing from Runes of Tormenting keeps you going even if you miss a dodge/cloak.

I'm mainly using this build for open world and running story with my wife. For fractals I would switch back to focus for pulls, and swap Chaos traitline back to Dueling.