Aggro range increased... again...

@Aridon.8362 said:That makes it more realistic. I mean there's plenty of other armor options that are viable and have toughness and vitality that you can use to survive while still dealing good damge. I use minstrels in open world and I still deal good damage. Aggro more for more challenge I say! :sunglasses:

I can solo even many of the legendary bounties in PoF. No amount of normal and veteran trash units are going to challenge me. But it's still annoying to have to clear every enemy within a square mile every time you dismount for any reason.

@Blocki.4931 said:How can aggro range be a problem to so many and be not even noticed by players like me? I've stumbled into two situations where I was slightly annoyed by it on the new map and that was mostly because I was an idiot. There are so many corners, so many rocks you can jump behind. Maybe it would do good for many if they learned to LoS.

How does LOS an enemy help me mount? I am merrily trundling along on my raptor, hop off to switch to Springe--oh wait nope must kill that skeleton. And that worm. And that harpy. And that branded. Another worm. Another skeleton.

Oh btw the event I wanted to get to? Yep that just finished.

I mean I know I have to kill like 100,000 for the achievement but please let ME mostly pick when!

@AliamRationem.5172 said:

@"Aridon.8362" said:That makes it more realistic. I mean there's plenty of other armor options that are viable and have toughness and vitality that you can use to survive while still dealing good damge. I use minstrels in open world and I still deal good damage. Aggro more for more challenge I say! :sunglasses:

I can solo even many of the legendary bounties in PoF. No amount of normal and veteran trash units are going to challenge me. But it's still annoying to have to clear every enemy within a square mile every time you dismount for any reason.

That just means whatever broken OP class you play (mirage my guess, or minionmancer) needs to be nerfed balanced, not that something is wrong with aggro range. If anything, powercreep needs to be reduced to a point when each fight with a regular "trash unit" would require a certain effort invested.

Glassy builds are fine, so long as you kill things fast (which is why you're running that build after all).

I noticed some ranged enemies have a longer range, which is going to be important with the aerial element to this map being emphasised by the Skyscale. It doesn't really bother me; the "how do you not see me yet?" short range of core Tyria mobs bothers me more.

@"Lilyanna.9361" said:I mean if people would stop running glassy builds or actually use other skills besides the weapon skills it wouldn't be an issue.

Yeah, you're right. My problem is that I just don't know how to handle my glass build well enough to beat random open world trash mobs...like this legendary bounty in full viper gear...

...or maybe it's like I said and PoF aggro range is just annoying to me and apparently some other players, too.

I would like to have the opportunity to look at the landscape and surrounding terrain that Anet worked so hard to create, but I don't have that luxury when I'm constantly being attacked.

I agree. It would be nice to have 10 seconds to get my bearings. In some areas that's almost impossible.

@MoriMoriMori.5349 said:

@"Aridon.8362" said:That makes it more realistic. I mean there's plenty of other armor options that are viable and have toughness and vitality that you can use to survive while still dealing good damge. I use minstrels in open world and I still deal good damage. Aggro more for more challenge I say! :sunglasses:

That just means whatever broken OP class you play (mirage my guess, or minionmancer) needs to be
nerfed
balanced
, not that something is wrong with aggro range. If anything, powercreep needs to be reduced to a point when each fight with a regular "trash unit" would require a certain effort invested.

Did you seriously just bring up balance in a discussion of open world trash? Yeah, nothing really compares to mirage for killing open world bosses. But at the same time, there's just a little bit of air between balancing a class that can much more easily solo a legendary...and any old class or build taking out random trash units. Maybe you want every encounter with a normal unit to be an epic battle for survival. I seriously doubt anyone else wants to play that game and if that's how you view the current game, let's just say you need to up your game a bit.

Again, back to the complaint at hand. Annoying =/= challenging. You don't find the aggro range annoying. Speaking down to other players who do is making this discussion into something it really isn't about.

@"Einlanzer.1627" said:Except it annoys a lot of players and therefore isn't a trivial issue. I've been arguing for years that PoF was abandoned so quickly in large part thanks to its frustratingly large aggro range, and it's mind blowing to me that they haven't addressed it.

Because it wasn't abandoned over some trivial matter like this. The main reason was mentioned numerous times - it's combination of the fact it's quite challenging for an average player (NOT somebody who solos bounty bosses), with the fact of it's not being rewarding enough at the same time, and also the fact that it's kind of devoid of content (less interesting events which are distributed over a huge areas of complex terrain) - and that's when we have "fast-food" farming heavens like Silverwastes and Ishtan where everything is compactly placed and pours rewards on you, and we have HoT's metas, which are both rewarding AND very fun to play, and we have fractals which are another "fast-food" option.

The only change PoF needs is more events, and more rewards for those.

@Blocki.4931 said:How can aggro range be a problem to so many and be not even noticed by players like me? I've stumbled into two situations where I was slightly annoyed by it on the new map and that was mostly because I was an idiot. There are so many corners, so many rocks you can jump behind. Maybe it would do good for many if they learned to LoS.

Because the difference in aggro range is a lie that people believed and obviously still believe to this day...I can stand the same distance from enemies regardless of zone and not have them aggro(as long as my pet is stored, since it does tend to wander slightly away from me). Melee enemies have their aggro range(shorter) and ranged enemies have a difference aggro range)(longer), maybe that is the problem people perceive to be a change in aggro range, the fact that there are 2 different ones depending on the enemy you're fighting.

@Zaklex.6308 said:Because the difference in aggro range is a lie that people believed and obviously still believe to this day...I can stand the same distance from enemies regardless of zone and not have them aggro(as long as my pet is stored, since it does tend to wander slightly away from me). Melee enemies have their aggro range(shorter) and ranged enemies have a difference aggro range)(longer), maybe that is the problem people perceive to be a change in aggro range, the fact that there are 2 different ones depending on the enemy you're fighting.

You can literally measure the aggro range yourself using ground targeted skills (go to options and lock ground target at maximum skill range). It is your perception that is false.

Pre PoF zones have aggro range of 600.PoF and most of LWS4 have aggro range of 900.Dragonfall enemies have aggro range of 1200.

Some specific enemies have different aggro range (such as the veteran ice elemental in Bitterfrost that has really long aggro range) and HoT enemies seem to aggro gliding players from a longer range, but the general range of most enemies is as I stated.

@BlueJin.4127 said:

@Zaklex.6308 said:Because the difference in aggro range is a lie that people believed and obviously still believe to this day...I can stand the same distance from enemies regardless of zone and not have them aggro(as long as my pet is stored, since it does tend to wander slightly away from me). Melee enemies have their aggro range(shorter) and ranged enemies have a difference aggro range)(longer), maybe that is the problem people perceive to be a change in aggro range, the fact that there are 2 different ones depending on the enemy you're fighting.

You can literally measure the aggro range yourself using ground targeted skills (go to options and lock ground target at maximum skill range). It is your perception that is false.

Pre PoF zones have aggro range of 600.PoF and most of LWS4 have aggro range of 900.Dragonfall enemies have aggro range of 1200.

Some specific enemies have different aggro range (such as the veteran ice elemental in Bitterfrost that has really long aggro range) and HoT enemies seem to aggro gliding players from a longer range, but the general range of most enemies is as I stated.

Did you do that on a flat level surface, with no change in elevation between you and the enemy? Otherwise the measurements aren't going to be accurate, and if you did and those are the numbers, then great, I just don't perceive it to be a problem and it doesn't bother me one bit, I can easily find place to stand without aggroing anything.Maybe it's another one of those learn to play moments, or maybe it's done to make it so easy to get from point A to point B, just like Orr was at release when you had 10 times the amount of Risen in Cursed Short and it really felt like you where on the doorstep of the enemies strong hold, as opposed to post nerf when you can literally frun from end to end without fighting anything(that's boring).

I'm pretty sure it's the snipers that can aggro on gliding players from a long ways away in HoT(they're the only ones I ever notice doing that, it's part of their mechanic I believe.

Same here, I never noticed a problem with the aggro range until I saw a thread in the forum. I do play a lot of PoF but I never seen any problem with this.

I don't understand. How is it a problem for people? Just don't AFK. I see sometimes some dead players in random places. I res them and they do nothing, they just stand there, idle.

Besides, there are tons of safe spot, If I need or want to AFK, I usually seek a cliff and that's it. Or I just waypoint...

If you are dismounted, just kill all the mobs around you and continue. It's not like running on foot is terrible. It used to be like this before mounts...

@Edge.8724 said:

Same here, I never noticed a problem with the aggro range until I saw a thread in the forum. I do play a lot of PoF but I never seen any problem with this.

I don't understand. How is it a problem for people? Just don't AFK. I see sometimes some dead players in random places. I res them and they do nothing, they just stand there, idle.

Besides, there are tons of safe spot, If I need or want to AFK, I usually seek a cliff and that's it. Or I just waypoint...

If you are dismounted, just kill all the mobs around you and continue. It's not like running on foot is terrible. It used to be like this before mounts...

That's right. We didn't have mounts before. The relative difference in speed between in-combat and out-of-combat was a great deal less than it is now. That is why it's so annoying. Increasing the aggro range of many enemies just makes it more noticeable.

@"BlueJin.4127" said:One of the reasons I don't do PoF (and LWS4) is because of the annoying aggro range (900 in PoF compared to 600 in previous zones). Playing in PoF is like eating at a restaurant filled with flies that constantly annoy you. I noticed that enemies in Dragonfall were aggroing from ridiculously long range so I measured the aggro range and... the aggro range in the new zone is 1200...

I only just got PoF a few months back and was thinking to myself "man I seem to be getting attacked a lot more often from enemies in these maps" and now I know why. It is really annoying.