Is the SMS AUTHENTICATION required?

Its annoying and not working well and now I have to talk to costumer support again for it to work which I will do at some point. But suggestion is get rid of that thing. Why is it even needed I do not think its worth the security it offers compared to the bother it is. What do you all think?

It is not mandatory.

It's not a perfect solution (and SMS authentication is arguably one of the worst methods of MFA) and I have had to go through support to regain access to my account when I've been overseas without cellular access. That said, MFA is definitely worth using - an app or other such service is ideal.

Oh I have the phone it just refuses to send me the SMS which of course I will have to go trough support to fix this. Which is the problem its an time consuming thing that might take days. And yes its mandatory if you want to play the game. Very sure it is.

@adormtil.1605 said:Oh I have the phone it just refuses to send me the SMS which of course I will have to go trough support to fix this. Which is the problem its an time consuming thing that might take days. And yes its mandatory if you want to play the game. Very sure it is.

You can still keep clicking 'remind me later' each time and you will not need to do it. Like I say, I used to have SMS authentication. Yes, it might take a couple of days to get it removed from your account through support, but if you have your account details (particularly purchase details and the other details that are asked for in the support process) it's actually very painless and only requires one email exchange.

Some form of multi-factor authentication is worth having. SMS authentication is better than nothing, and the risk of SIM-switching is overblown if you don't readily associate your email address with your phone number, but app-based authentication is better again.

Hi,

So i have this issue with 2FA. i cant access my main account as my phone cant receive the code just like the OP stated. It has been 4 days since i last played my main account and 3 days since i sent an email for support to remove my 2FA. However, i find that there is the remind me later button stated above but cant seem to find it in the game launcher window. can someone enlighten me on this as im on the brink of giving up. I tried making a new account but i feel im wasting my time as i invested enough already with my main account including the expansions and my first 100g in game that took me some time to get.

i hope someone can help me on this.

@konz.2357 said:Hi,

So i have this issue with 2FA. i cant access my main account as my phone cant receive the code just like the OP stated. It has been 4 days since i last played my main account and 3 days since i sent an email for support to remove my 2FA. However, i find that there is the remind me later button stated above but cant seem to find it in the game launcher window. can someone enlighten me on this as im on the brink of giving up. I tried making a new account but i feel im wasting my time as i invested enough already with my main account including the expansions and my first 100g in game that took me some time to get.

i hope someone can help me on this.

The remind me later option is on the question if you want to set up 2FA. You do not get the question as you all ready have 2FA set up. You can not skip the 2FA when it is in place and need support to remove it.

okay.. so i guess im gonna have to sit on this and wait till intervention is done. Any advise if the app is way better than the phone for people like me who doesnt get the code sent in sms?. my alt seems to get the code via app fast but havent tried it out with another internet connection (IP). kinda worried i might lost my alt too and quit for good.

mobile phone subscription expires when you stop paying them and your number won't might be your number anymore. if that's the case, your phoneline is "dead" and it will be too much of a hassle to convince the CS A.NET that you used to own the phone number that has been sequestered and reused.

while e-mail verification, you can still use your "dead" phone by just finding a free wifi spot.

Back in the days when I played WOW, Blizzard would supply a small key fob which just had a small display and a button , and when you pressed the button it displayed a random number which you typed in to a box at login time .Some banks now use them for 2FA, very simple and easy to use and doesnt need any connection to anything.Maybe Anet could introduce something similar.