[merged] About the Skyscale Timegate...

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:I think it's funny someone complains about the time gate ... I guess spending 250G is more to your liking?

From a brand new account, by the time I got to the end of PoF story, I had 500g in the bank. The collection for the Gryphon took me about a week, off and on, between doing fractals, WvW and metas.

The Beetle collection took me a weekend, 3 months after it was released, as I didn't really care about it and procrastinated that chapter of LW.

I was more interested in the Skyscale than the Beetle, but based on what I'm seeing of the collection, I may just give it a pass, since I already have the Gryphon.

EDIT: in addition, if you have enough resources and gold, you could technically craft any of the Gen 1 or Gen 2 legendary weapons in the same day. If you're very hardcore, you could even do the collections for the Gen 1 / 2 Precursors in the same day.

So now we are saying the Skyscale is more "prestigious" than legendary weapons?

You're going to have back up a bit ... I don't know what legendary weapons have to do with this so I'm just ignore that.

MMO's make you pay .... one way or the other. The whole reason these threads exist is that people don't want to 'pay', regardless of currency ...BUT

if I had to pay, it's 'cheaper' with a time-gate than it is with gold.

The Legendary bit wasn't in response to you, but I've seen many people comparing the mount to legendary grinds in terms of it's cost/ prestige.

But I disagree that this is an issue of 'cost'. As I said, by the time I got to where I needed 250g for the Gryphon, I had double that in my account. When I got to the Beetle collection, the only time gates in place were: did I miss "x" event and have to wait for it come around again. Raptor, Jackal, Skimmer, Springer, Warclaw, all were either free, required a small cost in gold (8g for Warclaw / 25g for Jackal IIRC) or required heart completion / collection.

The common thread there is all were attainable by players at their own pace. I had a guildy who played WvW 5hrs straight to get the Warclaw. I myself did the Beetle collection over a weekend, the hardest part was the SW beetle since it was months after the content had gone live.

Nothing released so far in this game justifies how ANET is handling this mount....except perhaps Aurora.

There are far far far more players flying the Gryphon than those who own Aurora. That says everything about people's stomach for lengthy time gates vs willingness to spend gold.

Aurora is exactly what it should be compared to. It's the end content for LS3, the mount is the end content for LS4.Maybe you guys are correct and they should have advertised it that way. But the amount of work required makes sense. It's by no mean mandatory either, just like Aurora.

That's fine if you want to point us the failure of advertising it, but having to go back to different LS4 maps is great. A game is there to be played.

@Annaveil.5201 said:

@"Excursion.9752" said:First off I am not rushing through the content. I just barely started looking for the eggs and I dislike any time gated content unless there is a specific reason for it. Having people wait just to wait is ridiculous. Time gates are designed to make people come back over and over again for a long period of time. Typically goes hand in hand with the company letting the users buy in game currency with real money to remove those time gates.

This is not the case here. I am unsure of the motive behind it. Since this will not impact users forever why is it there in the game in the first place other than to slow down progress with a roadblock. I am failing to see the "gain" so to speak. If it is to keep people playing for a week they have way bigger problems than we know about.

What would you consider to be an acceptable specific reason for time gating?Well a good example and I will use in this game is Bloodstone Fin. You can farm the unique nodes there once every 24 hours to get blood rubies. Since the ascended items you get there are worth it because of the stat changing ability that is fairly cheap. You could want more than one set because all of your characters could use them. This is content that can keep people coming back for more day after day. When a mount is a one and done scenario. Once you have it your whole account has it.

The issue with the time gating of the collection is the fact that it was not designed with fun in mind, nor was it designed for the players. It was designed this was purely for profits - more precisely, INVESTORS. It's to get more "player engagement" and "player login numbers" so that investors are happier.

Keep that BS out of video game design.

@Obtena.7952 said:Yes it does actually because their availability prevents time gating from being a barrier to using one.And completely ignored the last few sentences of my post.The borrowed mount is arguably useless without the masteries and goes away as soon as you interact with anything. The collections drag you away from the new map for hours on end because they've given everyone a daily deadline to finish their collections. The locked masteries still prevent you from gaining exp by the way. Just going to repeat that since you chose to ignore it. Gating the mount to what could potentially be a month of resets for some people just with the collections we know about while also preventing people from gaining exp and spirit shards in the new map is a huge problem.

I'm fine with doing collections. I'm fine with the collections taking 30+ hours. But let me do it at my own pace. I hate feeling like I have to rush to finish the damn thing each day and can't stop to just...play fractals with friends or anything like that because if I don't finish it before reset, I have to wait another 24 hours before I can do anything. It's unneeded stress and frustration for a collection I'd otherwise really enjoy.

@Randulf.7614 said:

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Well, we've had years to acquire Charged Quartz. And, all kinds of other materials. Always a good tip to think ahead. It costs nothing to store these items in Material Storage.

I think I might even have a Grow Lamp tucked away somewhere. Granted, most probably don't; but, time-gates for different items are concurrent, so, it's not like you have to wait a separate day for each one.

What about those people who rejoined during the recent ls4 push? They wont have had years. Im not wholly against timegating and im not going to let current popular opinion on these boards sway what i think about the method of obtaining, but I dont think we can say we have years to hoard stuff in prep for this either.

If people just rejoined there is no reason they should not have to acquire an item, same as someone who has been playing and has not been acquiring either will need to. Its a wash here, this isn't about playtime. We have been asking ANet for uses for older materials and if they are using charged quartz then they are simply doing things that were asked for. We need more uses for one of materials.

@Deihnyx.6318 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:I think it's funny someone complains about the time gate ... I guess spending 250G is more to your liking?

From a brand new account, by the time I got to the end of PoF story, I had 500g in the bank. The collection for the Gryphon took me about a week, off and on, between doing fractals, WvW and metas.

The Beetle collection took me a weekend, 3 months after it was released, as I didn't really care about it and procrastinated that chapter of LW.

I was more interested in the Skyscale than the Beetle, but based on what I'm seeing of the collection, I may just give it a pass, since I already have the Gryphon.

EDIT: in addition, if you have enough resources and gold, you could technically craft any of the Gen 1 or Gen 2 legendary weapons in the same day. If you're very hardcore, you could even do the collections for the Gen 1 / 2 Precursors in the same day.

You're going to have back up a bit ... I don't know what legendary weapons have to do with this so I'm just ignore that.

MMO's make you pay .... one way or the other. The whole reason these threads exist is that people don't want to 'pay', regardless of currency ...BUT

The Legendary bit wasn't in response to you, but I've seen many people comparing the mount to legendary grinds in terms of it's cost/ prestige.

But I disagree that this is an issue of 'cost'. As I said, by the time I got to where I needed 250g for the Gryphon, I had double that in my account. When I got to the Beetle collection, the only time gates in place were: did I miss "x" event and have to wait for it come around again. Raptor, Jackal, Skimmer, Springer, Warclaw, all were either free, required a small cost in gold (8g for Warclaw / 25g for Jackal IIRC) or required heart completion / collection.

The common thread there is all were attainable by players at their own pace. I had a guildy who played WvW 5hrs straight to get the Warclaw. I myself did the Beetle collection over a weekend, the hardest part was the SW beetle since it was months after the content had gone live.

Nothing released so far in this game justifies how ANET is handling this mount....except perhaps Aurora.

There are far far far more players flying the Gryphon than those who own Aurora. That says everything about people's stomach for lengthy time gates vs willingness to spend gold.

Aurora is exactly what it should be compared to. It's the end content for LS3, the mount is the end content for LS4.Maybe you guys are correct and they should have advertised it that way. But the amount of work required makes sense. It's by no mean mandatory either, just like Aurora.

That's fine if you want to point us the failure of advertising it, but having to go back to different LS4 maps is great. A game is there to be played.

And yet most people arent speaking out against the amount of work...they are asking to be allowed to do the work while ANet says no, come back another time.

@Ototo.3214 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:Yes it does actually because their availability prevents time gating from being a barrier to using one.And completely ignored the last few sentences of my post.The borrowed mount is arguably useless without the masteries and goes away as soon as you interact with anything. The collections drag you away from the new map for hours on end because they've given everyone a daily deadline to finish their collections. The locked masteries still prevent you from gaining exp by the way. Just going to repeat that since you chose to ignore it. Gating the mount to what could potentially be a month of resets for some people just with the collections we know about while also preventing people from gaining exp and spirit shards in the new map is a huge problem.

I'm fine with doing collections. I'm fine with the collections taking 30+ hours. But let me do it at my own pace. I hate feeling like I have to rush to finish the kitten thing each day and can't stop to just...play fractals with friends or anything like that because if I don't finish it before reset, I have to wait another 24 hours before I can do anything. It's unneeded stress and frustration for a collection I'd otherwise really enjoy.

Where does the stress come from?Like, if you get it a couple days later than some people, does it bring stress?It wasn't in the game for years, it never brought stress before, why does the prospect of other people having it earlier make it all suddenly awful?

Like, maybe some retrospective could help in this case, there's no point stressing over that, we'll all get it eventually.

@Ashen.2907 said:

And yet most people arent speaking out against the amount of work...they are asking to be allowed to do the work while ANet says no, come back another time.

Exactly this. Why can't people...and ANet especially, see this.

@TheGrimm.5624 said:

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:Well, we've had years to acquire Charged Quartz. And, all kinds of other materials. Always a good tip to think ahead. It costs nothing to store these items in Material Storage.

I think I might even have a Grow Lamp tucked away somewhere. Granted, most probably don't; but, time-gates for different items are concurrent, so, it's not like you have to wait a separate day for each one.

What about those people who rejoined during the recent ls4 push? They wont have had years. Im not wholly against timegating and im not going to let current popular opinion on these boards sway what i think about the method of obtaining, but I dont think we can say we have years to hoard stuff in prep for this either.

If people just rejoined there is no reason they should not have to acquire an item, same as someone who has been playing and has not been acquiring either will need to. Its a wash here, this isn't about playtime. We have been asking ANet for uses for older materials and if they are using charged quartz then they are simply doing things that were asked for. We need more uses for one of materials.

I completely agree. I just don't think the statement, "well, we've had years to acquire" is fair or accurate. The rest I have no issue with

I think there needs to be care taken. People are within their right to complain about the issue if they believe it is unfair. I may not agree, but I fully see their point

@Mahou.3924 said:

Armor =!= Mount. They serve quite oviously different purposes.

Ok so finished the story and not having the mount blocked me. Zero times. So I am back to this is an optional thing. Armor is more relevant than this mount. I am a PvXer. I use armor in 2 of three game modes. I use this mount in 1 of 3 so far. Armor takes me longer, ok with this since its value, it may mean the difference in a fight, a mount won't. The mount takes me far less time. If you aren't willing to put on the time, don't.

@Excursion.9752 said:

@Excursion.9752 said:First off I am not rushing through the content. I just barely started looking for the eggs and I dislike any time gated content unless there is a specific reason for it. Having people wait just to wait is ridiculous. Time gates are designed to make people come back over and over again for a long period of time. Typically goes hand in hand with the company letting the users buy in game currency with real money to remove those time gates.

This is not the case here. I am unsure of the motive behind it. Since this will not impact users forever why is it there in the game in the first place other than to slow down progress with a roadblock. I am failing to see the "gain" so to speak. If it is to keep people playing for a week they have way bigger problems than we know about.

What would you consider to be an acceptable specific reason for time gating?Well a good example and I will use in this game is Bloodstone Fin. You can farm the unique nodes there once every 24 hours to get blood rubies. Since the ascended items you get there are worth it because of the stat changing ability that is fairly cheap. You could want more than one set because all of your characters could use them. This is content the can keep people coming back for more day after day. When a mount is a one and done scenario. Once you have it your whole account has it.

I see, so something that's infinitely useful to you makes sense to have it time gated but something that's a single gain isn't. I understand what you're saying, and I agree that the blood ruby time gating is necessary but I disagree beyond there. I believe that the Skyscale time gating is a good way to incentivize people to play the new map day after day.

The issue seems to be that instead of feeling as though they have something to do, some people feel as though they're forced to do something.

Personally I think there's a little bit of a mob mentality going on where some people are just angry that they can't get it immediately and it's snowballed into trying to justify that feeling into something that can't be so easily dismissed as entitlement/impatience.

@MokahTGS.7850 said:

You guys tell that to the few threads in main page complaining that you have to do collections, and have to do all ls4 maps, etc.Most people are in game playing the game because it's a game and none of that stuff matters. The use of the word "work" is always fascinating but if that's what it is then I'll argue that it's time to move on.

Well, I personally dont have enough time to waste. I'm working. I'm not going to jump through hoops within hoops for hoops, for a mount that wasn't advertised as That hard to get.

I can get behind wanting to give substance to content, but this is just padding. I hate grind and I hate padding. It's artificial and it's plain to see. I'll get to it when I've got a -Lot- of time to waste, which apparently is what it was designed to be for. Shame that work is required to pay for bills and other such. Good luck to anyone who follows through, I've had enough charged quartz issues for guild upgrades recently, not about to repeat so soon for dragon Ontop Of Everything Else.

If this was meant to offset how short the story was, I am thoroughly disappointed. It's Nothing like past episodes. Artificial padding doesn't replace good story writing.

@Annaveil.5201 said:I see, so something that's infinitely useful to you makes sense to have it time gated but something that's a single gain isn't. I understand what you're saying, and I agree that the blood ruby time gating is necessary but I disagree beyond there. I believe that the Skyscale time gating is a good way to incentivize people to play the new map day after day.Later collection steps (almost entirely) lead you out of the new Dragonfall map.

@Deihnyx.6318 said:

You guys tell that to the few threads in main page complaining that you have to do collections, and have to do all ls4 maps, etc.Most people are in game playing the game because it's a game and none of that stuff matters. The use of the word "work" is always fascinating but if that's what it is then I'll argue that it's time to move on.

You used the word, "work." I merely quoted you.

The word, "most," is one that I used though.

@Genesis.8572 said:

@Annaveil.5201 said:I see, so something that's infinitely useful to you makes sense to have it time gated but something that's a single gain isn't. I understand what you're saying, and I agree that the blood ruby time gating is necessary but I disagree beyond there.
I believe that the Skyscale time gating is a good way to incentivize people to play the new map day after day.
Later collection steps (almost entirely) lead you out of the new Dragonfall map.

That's even better, in my opinion. It lets you roam around to older places you might not have reason to visit.

@Annaveil.5201 said:

@Annaveil.5201 said:I see, so something that's infinitely useful to you makes sense to have it time gated but something that's a single gain isn't. I understand what you're saying, and I agree that the blood ruby time gating is necessary but I disagree beyond there.
I believe that the Skyscale time gating is a good way to incentivize people to play the new map day after day.
Later collection steps (almost entirely) lead you out of the new Dragonfall map.

That's even better, in my opinion. It lets you roam around to older places you might not have reason to visit.

So its not a good way to incentivize playing the new map day after day after all?

@Ashen.2907 said:

So its not a good way to incentivize playing the new map day after day after all?

Apparently not for the later collections, but instead it's an incentive to go to older zones. I'm fine with editing my statement. It doesn't really retract from anything to me. It's an incentive to play.

@Annaveil.5201 said:I'm not? I responded to you.You argued that the timegated collections are about increasing the shelf life of the new map. (They're not.) When rebuffed, you then said that it's even better because it gets you to explore other parts of the world. Except the timegating has nothing to do with visiting those other parts of the world. The new timegating is mostly about charged quartz, which for many people means taking quartz to their home instance krait obelisk once per day.

@"Absconditus.6804" said:This keeps getting regurgitated; those with a distaste towards the timegating wants instant gratification. They want the mount in a single click. They are lazy.

To all of you that falls under the umbrella of making these things up, and you are, in what way is the timegating increasing the effort it would take to obtain the mount. Without the timegating, wouldn't it be just the same effort as it is now, but those with more time could push harder to finish it in a few days, and those with less time would finish it at their own pace instead of feeling forced to complete a stage before the daily reset? Maybe you see the latter as increased effort, but I can correlate that to frustration for those with less time than myself. The base effort, collecting the collectibles, is the same. The timegating only serves to wall you off from putting in said effort for x amount of time. There's nothing skillfull about the timegates. If there are, then by all means, enlighten me, because I don't see it.

There are perhaps a few that find the collections to be overwhelming and too large. But the majority of the complaints here are the timegating. That is the subject of this topic. How, does timegating equal skill or effort. How does the removal of said timegates reduce the effort required? If you can't come up with a good reason for the timegates and a solid argument for how they increase the effort required to be put in to get the mount, then can you please stop making things up and saying people who dislike the timegates are lazy and just want instant gratification? Because I don't see how you can get instant gratification with the size of these collections. "Day 3" has timegates inside the timegate for that collection btw. and is arguably a Gold sink. Just have a look at how the Grow Lamp has exploded in price (thought you can craft it cheaper of course, for now at least).

Yesterday there was talk in LA of how you didn't actually need the grow lamp but some people crafting them had told other players that they were needed and conned them out of 80g or so each. Maybe it was all bs? I must say that at first I regretted that I wouldn't be able to participate in getting a Skyscale right away because I've been taking longer to get caught up in PoF and doing other things, but now I am glad. It seems like it will be much less frustrating to be able to go into it knowing how long it will take and exactly what will be needed (not that I don't enjoy surprise and discovery, but the good kind, not discovering bills and delays which is what this is sounding like, on top of some, hopefully very few, players trying to mislead others in one way or another).

@Genesis.8572 said:

@Annaveil.5201 said:I'm not? I responded to you.You argued that the timegated collections are about increasing the shelf life of the new map. (They're not.) When rebuffed, you then said that it's even better because it gets you to explore other parts of the world. Except the timegating has nothing to do with visiting those other parts of the world. The new timegating is mostly about charged quartz, which for many people means taking quartz to their home instance krait obelisk once per day.

You're saying the quartz is a time-gate? I thought you were talking about some other collection that leads you to other maps.

Can't you purchase the lamp that needs the quartz if you want to bypass the daily cooldown?

@Gop.8713 said:The only really compelling argument I've seen against the time gate so far is that it is a lazy way to prolong the content and keep players invested in the map over a period of time, and I think that is a fair complaint. BUT, I haven't seen anyone present any reasonable alternative that accomplishes those goals nor have I seen anyone demonstrate that the time gate is causing any actual harm . . .

@EmmetOtter.8542 said:My only concern is will this become the norm? If it sets a precedent that is used for items that are really needed for progression in game then you can certainly point at this moment as being a terrible thing.I'm not too worried about this. Anet seems to prefer mixing up their gates so it doesn't get stale, and if they did decide to go with precedent in the future they certainly have far worse examples from the recent past that they could follow . . .

Then you haven't read any comments at all.There are plenty of alternatives, like giving the mount at the beginning of the story, or after the first collection, and making the rest of the time gated stuff about something else like an exclusive skin for the skygated that would have matching skins for the other mounts in the gem store. Or just more an ascended gear box.

As for the timegate actually causing harm, look at my case and of many others that are 1 day behind the collections:

Anet made sure not to tell us about this, people like me were expecting something in the spectrum of acquiring raptor to acquiring the griffon, even a money sink. People get excited about a feature , create expectations and even in some cases took a couple of days off work (since the release as mid week and not on a weekend), which was my case. Then they take their time completing the story, dealing with being randomly kicked out of the map back to lions arch,finish up the first collection even finding that 61 items to fetch , in some cases even having to go back to the same location 2 or 3 times to do so is a bit much, only to find out that not only the rest of the collection is time gated to daily resets, that they just lost a whole day that they made sure to organize themselves to play that part of the game , why ? Because they finished the first part 10 minutes after the daily reset, so no progression at all on one day for no good reason.

This is exactly what happened to me. Do you see the issue here ? Is this supposed to be fun or enjoyable ? Should I just be glad that I took a day off work, which I won't get back even working extra hours ? They could have time gated anything, ascended gear, cosmetic, titles and etc. Everything that already HAS A PRECEDENT in being time gated. Mounts were never like this. I am pretty sure if all the achievements related to the map were time gated , no one would have cared.