[merged] About the Skyscale Timegate...

@Menadena.7482 said:

@"miraude.2107" said:Arenanet, you might as well just start putting any new mounts here on out in the cash shop the way ESO does so you can at least get some revenue for your work if people want something as special as this to be instant gratification.The community is getting a new, shiny mount for
FREE
because all we have to do is log in to get the episode and all we have to do is actually play the game to get it. At least show some respect to the devs and actually play the game? I mean this isn't the griffon, you can actually stay in the air with this mount. Anyone notice that the endurance bar fills when you descend and you can fly back up (I think a lot of you
didn't
notice that judging from the yes votes)? I spent at least 45 minutes in the air messing around with that alone and never touched the ground in Dragonfall! Getting this mount means that I can easily avoid nearly everything in Tyria/HoT/PoF because there are few to no aerial threats to speak of in game. It makes sense that a mount like this can and should be time-gated, to make it worth the effort of getting it. So no, there is nothing wrong with this being time-gated as I can easily see this becoming a WvW/PvP nightmare and hearing the complaints on that end the moment it does start appearing.

Actually, I would LOVE to buy it from a vendor or whatever, use the regional currency and/or volatile magic. Even keep the time delay until I get it if someone insists. What I care about is this is gated behind content that is not exactly amenable to someone with epilepsy. I could sense how my brain was responding as I tried to get the blood yesterday (yes, I know I was not that far off the ground in RL but my brain does not know that, it was freaking out at the vertigo) and then the same will happen plus flashing lights in the instance.

Yes, I know this is a flying mount but I control how high I fly. Staying 20' off the "ground" most of the time is fine with me, especially since I can fly down as often as I want.

Well if flying mounts have a tendency to cause you RL issues (very legitimate issues I will stress) then why put yourself through it when it is actually not a necessity in order to keep playing the game. ANET can't be expected to account for every potential health issue in the world all they can do is offer choice through variety I guess.Hopefully you can find a way to enjoy the mount across the map/game so you can enjoy them fully

@Yamazuki.6073 said:

Armor =!= Mount. They serve quite oviously different purposes.

Ok so finished the story and not having the mount blocked me. Zero times. So I am back to this is an optional thing. Armor is more relevant than this mount. I am a PvXer. I use armor in 2 of three game modes. I use this mount in 1 of 3 so far. Armor takes me longer, ok with this since its value, it may mean the difference in a fight, a mount won't. The mount takes me far less time. If you aren't willing to put on the time, don't.

Given Ascended has the same stats as Legendary, you can get Armor+Weapons in a single day if you wanted. No matter how much you want, the mount is impossible in that time frame.

Just like you can have ascended armor to get the same stats as legendary armor, they gave us the mount where we needed it for the story. So same time frame based on the example. You already got it. If I want something more it takes more time. The misleading aspect in this thread was people implying you could not complete the story to do so.

@"Roquen.5406" said:I guess I could use myself as an example. I have not had so much time to play this week. I will probably get to play Friday evening/Saturday but because of the way this is time-gated. I'll only be able to do a small portion. Then I will have to wait until the next weekend for the next step, until I get blocked by "wait until reset". So once again, I am being punished because I cannot play everyday and it seems arbitrary. Is it the end of the world that it will take me 4-9 weeks + to finish this? No, but it just seems dumb to stop me from progressing at my own pace.

This current system punishes people that can bulk their play into a few days. Tell me, if we both put in 10 hours, why is your time rewarded more than mine? Because if you play 1 hour a day every day currently, you can keep making progress. If I put 5 hours Friday/5 Hours Saturday I can only make so much progress because of this "rewarding" system.

All of you argue it is good for the game but to me it just screams that they have no faith in their product. If they did they would not need to do things like this to try to keep me playing, they would know the game itself is done well enough to do that itself.

That last paragraph hits close to the truth IMO. If you believe that your game's content is fun and rewarding to repeat, you dont need to rely on artificial gimmicks such as time gating to extend its lifespan.

So much effort needed and timegates for a horrible mount, the thing is slower than the Griffon, clunky as hell, you can't fly freely and gain height as fast as the Springer since the buff...

If they want to justify that much stuff needed atm to get it, then they have to buff the Skyscale tremendously because I sure am not gonna bother with how it plays out right now, it's so useless and not even a fun mount compared to all the others, even the Warclaw has a lot of use in WvW...

@PuppyMischief.7584 said:

@PuppyMischief.7584 said:I'm Voting no I feel as if kids and yes I'm saying kids because I believe that most of the yeses are from people that have the ability to sit at the computer for 12 hours a day. Do people not like working for things in mmos anymore? I believe this is an issue with most people wanting instant gratification now a days. I've enjoyed every collection so far because they take you on a journey through your story remembering the past. To me this feels like the end of season 3 when Aurora came out I feel that its no different suck it up sometimes you have to work for things that you want.

What you "feel" is the reason for people disliking the time gate is not based on what people are actually saying. Many people have already explained how their reasoning has nothing to do with instant gratification but how pointless time gating is an attempt at anet to control how they spend their time. It's more similar to a skinner box mobile game than an MMO. You have to 'suck it up' when you go to work, pay a bill or do yard work. If you're having to 'suck it up' to play a video game then the game isn't doing what it's suppose to, providing you fun and entertainment.

Well these are my opinions time gating has existed since ascended armor in Guild Wars 2. So yes suck it up.

I have explained in my previous posts the difference between time gating materials for economic control and time gating items with no economic value. You're calling people kids but you're not taking the time to think this through like an adult. I'm less worried about this instance of time gating and more so worried about the precedence it sets for future new content. You telling people to suck it up is just lazy. 'Suck it up' is just a synonym for "This is bad, but do it anyways because I don't feel like coming up with a better solution".

At this point im waiting to see how long it takes anet to at least make a statement on this the negative feedback is all over the this forum, reddit, and twitter.Its one thing to stand firm behind your ideals but another to play ignorance and pretend that no one is talking about something that is currently causing frustration to the majority.

If anet wants it to be this way they should at least say why and stand firm saying this is what we will or wont change or if things are being considered or not. We need answers here. A simple answer could at least get a good chunk of people myself included to bite their tongues and just swallow it as is even if we dont like it.

I just hope this is not going to be come a 5 day proccess that becomes a 8-9 day process that becomes a 15-20 day process and so on as more and more collections are revealed.To be honest there was no need to time gate the first 2 collections if the 3rd as was going to take a 3 day at minimum to complete. And if the 4th and 5th collections also take multiple days to complete or make required materals for.

Further more I do wonder how they will market skins for this mount considering its complexity and annoyance to get thus far and im only going into collection 3 once reset happens tonight then ill be stuck on stage 3 for at least 3-4 days. Why couldn't they use in game days for this part? In game days are a a few hours apart right

@Zexanima.7851 said:

@PuppyMischief.7584 said:I'm Voting no I feel as if kids and yes I'm saying kids because I believe that most of the yeses are from people that have the ability to sit at the computer for 12 hours a day. Do people not like working for things in mmos anymore? I believe this is an issue with most people wanting instant gratification now a days. I've enjoyed every collection so far because they take you on a journey through your story remembering the past. To me this feels like the end of season 3 when Aurora came out I feel that its no different suck it up sometimes you have to work for things that you want.

What you "feel" is the reason for people disliking the time gate is not based on what people are actually saying. Many people have already explained how their reasoning has nothing to do with instant gratification but how pointless time gating is an attempt at anet to control how they spend their time. It's more similar to a skinner box mobile game than an MMO. You have to 'suck it up' when you go to work, pay a bill or do yard work. If you're having to 'suck it up' to play a video game then the game isn't doing what it's suppose to, providing you fun and entertainment.

Well these are my opinions time gating has existed since ascended armor in Guild Wars 2. So yes suck it up.

I have explained in my previous posts the difference between time gating materials for economic control and time gating items with no economic value. You're calling people kids but you're not taking the time to think this through like an adult. I'm less worried about this instance of time gating and more so worried about the precedence it sets for future new content. You telling people to suck it up is just lazy. 'Suck it up' is just a synonym for "This is bad, but do it anyways because I don't feel like coming up with a better solution".

Now you're attacking me because of my opinions because I do not agree with you, So I guess who is the real adult here.Every game makes you earn things, Legendary armor has a long time gate and people barely complained about that. So a few days of a Skyscale collection isn't going to kill people. You have months to wait for new content what this is telling me is that most of these people will get the mount and leave till next update.

I have zero problem with a time-gated process. What is the rush? I just finished the WvW leggy backpack about a month ago, been working on it since it was added. I love that fact that they introduce things I can work towards at a nice easy pace and wish they would add more.

@kratan.4619 said:I have zero problem with a time-gated process. What is the rush? I just finished the WvW leggy backpack about a month ago, been working on it since it was added. I love that fact that they introduce things I can work towards at a nice easy pace and wish they would add more.

You have to do daily stuff that's why, if you don't do it you lose time, it's not like legendaries where you can take your time, the Skyscale collection forces you to rush which is not ok because it's a freaking mount! It's not a Legendary item!

@"kratan.4619" said:I have zero problem with a time-gated process. What is the rush? I just finished the WvW leggy backpack about a month ago, been working on it since it was added. I love that fact that they introduce things I can work towards at a nice easy pace and wish they would add more.

The rush is that it was not marketed or hidden in a way that makes people think they would be working for it like this.We all assumed it would be like the previous mounts you put in some hard work you unlock its base fairly quick (usually a day or two of moderate play with some collections involved)

We are finding out as we go through process that its taking more and more and while a 5 day time gate is not that bad (still plenty of reason people feel frustrated over it though) we are now finding out that its not really 5 days its now 8 days at minimum and that length could increase even more based on the collections that come next. I feel like if they had done some of this using the in game day night clock cycle they would have been ok time gated enough so that you took breaks to do other content between the wait times or you could do some here and there log out log back in do some more later within the same 24 hour period as several days go by in gw2 within a 24 hour period.

But now its becoming more and more real life days and thats never going to be appealing to anyone who wanted it like 2 days ago or even before that when they revealed it was coming with the final chapter.

Had they not revealed this mount and teased people with it repeatedly i doubt anyone would complain about the wait time and collection process because it would have been more like griffon a hidden easter egg type mount. It would be sub-consciously understood that this thing is special and more unique than the standard mounts. Would some people still complain about it yes but not like this.

I will say this though...The better make the mount better at base than the demo ones in dragonfall if this thing is going to be equivalent to a legendary item in terms of work to get it they better be willing to buff it to players likings. I better be able to feel "THE JOY OF MOVEMENT" in this mount if i spend half a month or more working just to get its base at which i still need to spend a few more hours throwing xp into its masteries.

@sigur.9453 said:

@"Gop.8713" said:It's like they want us to play the game or something . . .

well theyre gonna get a lot less gameplay by forcing people to wait for something. some people are like "im just gonna do the daily for this then go play something else" when they COULD just have the skyscale already and start working on gaining its masteries and learning how to use it. there are already so many daily things in game. dont make major new content time gated on top of the new content already having time gated events

So what's the alternative... have those same player go off complete the skyscale in a few hours then log off and go play something else until the next content update.If your just logging in to do a collection then ignore the rest of the map content/the game in general... perhaps question why...

If the game has nothing else to offer than an artificial time gate, probably yes. But then it's on the devs to ask "why are people not playing out content? ".

Apparently it’s a “player problem.” Not the devs and the artificial content that it truthfully is.

@Ototo.3214 said:

@Ototo.3214 said:I'm fine with doing collections. I'm fine with the collections taking 30+ hours. But let me do it at my own pace. I hate feeling like I have to rush to finish the kitten thing each day and can't stop to just...play fractals with friends or anything like that because if I don't finish it before reset, I have to wait another 24 hours before I can do anything. It's unneeded stress and frustration for a collection I'd otherwise really enjoy.

But you don't, because you can't rush time gated content. If you feel like that, that's a player problem.

You see, the big problem I have here is that no one complains they are stressed when content ISN'T time gated but they should be because it does get harder to do group content when it isn't

... but when your forced by the game to progress content in steps over time .. THAT is stressful? That doesn't make sense.

I think you are taking his words too literallyI think he means like me for example i did nothing till the reset yesterday and rushed to complete the egg magic gathering collection so that that i wouldnt have to worry about not finishing it before reset it took about 4 hours doing it with a group.

After that i was done didn't do dailies, fractals, or play dragonfall at all i was pretty much done.Based on what im hearing for the next step ill be feeding a skyscale 3 times then today I might do fractals if they are any i particularly like after which ill going to prob stop and play another game.

If there are going to be more time gates within time gates the ESO new chapter early access is looking more and more lovely by the day. At which point i could be playing that and logging into gw2 just to feed a train a pet thats not a pet 3 times a day.

Ideally we are still rushing content because no one wants to wait an extra day if they dont have to. And because the mount is the main focus for so many people it easily pushes other forms of content to the side.

The decision to rush is a player issue and I doesn't make sense to make an argument based on it. All content gets rushed by people to some degree, but for some reason when it's time gated, rushing it all the sudden a big problem for you? That doesn't make sense.

Just be honest here ... you just want the mount without artificial restrictions imposed on you. Feeling like you have to rush content is not a compelling argument to not have time gates.

Except the time gate is causing people to rush the collections within that given day. Many of my friends started the collection for the mount and were taking their time because they didn't think it had some stupid time gate to it. Then when they found out it was gated, they started rushing it.

So what? That's still a player perception issue. So rushing time gated content is a massive problem ... but rushing non-time gated content isn't? You aren't stating the actual problem here. It's not honest to say that players rushing content is a problem ... because most of the time it isn't. So what's really the issue here?

With the sense of accomplishmentt and closure this episode brought me story wise (with Zaithan, Morthremoth and kralkatorric's death, glint's prophecy is fulfilled and my Aurene all grown up) It's a good time to take some time away. Now that only frustation awaits me within this madness.I chose GW2 because it was really casual friendly, I don´t have time to invest in Fractals, did a raid boss only once to unlock masteries, because my RL demands that I play for really short and unpredictable periods of time, so the open world was my thing and for the first time that too feels like I'm on the clock.This is not ok to me and this not ok for a lot of players in the same situation.Not taking this decision before I see some kind of feedback from anet in the meantime, and I mean less time than your time gated content inception.Times change I guess.

@Obtena.7952 said:

@Ototo.3214 said:I'm fine with doing collections. I'm fine with the collections taking 30+ hours. But let me do it at my own pace. I hate feeling like I have to rush to finish the kitten thing each day and can't stop to just...play fractals with friends or anything like that because if I don't finish it before reset, I have to wait another 24 hours before I can do anything. It's unneeded stress and frustration for a collection I'd otherwise really enjoy.

But you don't, because you can't rush time gated content. If you feel like that, that's a player problem.

You see, the big problem I have here is that no one complains they are stressed when content ISN'T time gated but they should be because it does get harder to do group content when it isn't

... but when your forced by the game to progress content in steps over time .. THAT is stressful? That doesn't make sense.

I think you are taking his words too literallyI think he means like me for example i did nothing till the reset yesterday and rushed to complete the egg magic gathering collection so that that i wouldnt have to worry about not finishing it before reset it took about 4 hours doing it with a group.

After that i was done didn't do dailies, fractals, or play dragonfall at all i was pretty much done.Based on what im hearing for the next step ill be feeding a skyscale 3 times then today I might do fractals if they are any i particularly like after which ill going to prob stop and play another game.

If there are going to be more time gates within time gates the ESO new chapter early access is looking more and more lovely by the day. At which point i could be playing that and logging into gw2 just to feed a train a pet thats not a pet 3 times a day.

Ideally we are still rushing content because no one wants to wait an extra day if they dont have to. And because the mount is the main focus for so many people it easily pushes other forms of content to the side.

The decision to rush is a player issue and I doesn't make sense to make an argument based on it. All content gets rushed by people to some degree, but for some reason when it's time gated, rushing it all the sudden a big problem for you? That doesn't make sense.

Just be honest here ... you just want the mount without artificial restrictions imposed on you. Feeling like you have to rush content is not a compelling argument to not have time gates.

Except the time gate is causing people to rush the collections within that given day. Many of my friends started the collection for the mount and were taking their time because they didn't think it had some stupid time gate to it. Then when they found out it was gated, they started rushing it.

So what? That's still a player perception issue.

What was that that they said were their core philosophies for GW2 in that recent update on what was to come for the game? Wait, player autonomy and fun content were listed? That can't be right. That really screws with player expectations.

@Asum.4960 said:

Yea, and the introduction of Ascended Armor went really well too, am I right?Are we going to keep doing "What about this thing that was also really bad and received a lot of backlash?" or was that it?

Also, exactly why I play video games, to "suck it up".Excuse me for not being a masochist and actually wanting to enjoy my time at my pace when playing a video game for fun.

You cant enjoy what you dont own/ cant access. Thats a fact your opinion cannot change this fact.To enjoy something to its fullest you must have free access to it. If you do not have such you cannot enjoy it.

Its interesting that you bring up ascended armor though. Let me make this argument is the mount fighting with you in combat?Does the mount improve your stats?Does the mount make you build a bit better in WvW or improve your top DPS in PvE?

Ascended armor does all these things to a slight degree.The mount will do none of these things. The mount only provides new means of traversing to point A to point BThe fun in this mount will be using it to get from point A to point B in a way that no other mount can.The fun in this mount will be riding it even when you dont need to go anywhere.

The enjoyment is directly being denied for several days even if players want to do the hard work just because some one gets it quickly does not mean they no longer enjoy it.

Will the process be more memorable? Yes it will. And ill be glad i spent time to unlock it once i have it however....Ill remember it as how much it frustrated me and that ill never do it again if anet offers another mount with similar or more requirements. I dont give a darn what said mount is. The mount could be you riding on joko's shoulders or glint herself and i still wouldn't care. I would refuse to do this a 2nd time. I salute those doing it on both their NA and EU accounts cause i know some people are.

@Ototo.3214 said:

What was that that they said were their core philosophies for GW2 in that recent update on what was to come for the game? Wait, player autonomy and fun content were listed? That can't be right. That really screws with player expectations.

That doesn't change what i said ... rushing can't be a problem for time-gated content if it's not a problem for non-time gated content. Content is still fun (and is subjective anyways) and players still have options to experience it ... as far as I can see, those philosophies still stand.

@Obtena.7952 said:

So what? That's still a player perception issue. So rushing time gated content is a massive problem ... but rushing non-time gated content isn't? You aren't stating the actual problem here. It's not honest to say that players rushing content is a problem ... because most of the time it isn't. So what's really the issue here?

Im pretty sure the problem has been stated like 2 or 3 hundred times now and you are just bluntly ignoring it. You dont seem to converse and rebuttal very well you cherry pick one or 2 lines and bluntly ignore the rest in almost every post ive seen you make.

If you are this far down the thread and you have been in this thread for a while now and you still cant pinpoint whats causing frustration to the majority of the complaints here it means you are being ignorant (no true offense)

You are looking at this with the the perception of"Its not an issue to me there for it should not be an issue to you."

@tekhiun.8653 said:Lol, so now the mods removed the poll thread where over 70% of people were in favor of removing the timegating. Well now it's clear how they gonna proceed about this. It was good playing this game, I'm definitely done with it.

I'm sorry that you think 200+ votes is an accurate representation of the community most of the player base doesn't even come on the forums. Almost everyone I was doing the collections with in the game last night were having a blast. Everyone was interacting with one another and stuff like that brings the community together.

@PuppyMischief.7584 said:

@tekhiun.8653 said:Lol, so now the mods removed the poll thread where over 70% of people were in favor of removing the timegating. Well now it's clear how they gonna proceed about this. It was good playing this game, I'm definitely done with it.

I'm sorry that you think 200+ votes is an accurate representation of the community most of the player base doesn't even come on the forums. Almost everyone I was doing the collections with in the game last night were having a blast. Everyone was interacting with one another and stuff like that brings the community together.

If you say so it must be the truth. Enjoy you timegated game play, when the games allow you to do so, ofc

@Obtena.7952 said:

You’ve been following this thread long enough to know what the issue is, the issue now is that you’re pretending to not know what it is.

You’re points on how Timegate helps, contradict the very point you tried to make with them. You aren’t trying to understand the issues because you have yet made compelling reasons as to why their not isssues. Just like asking someone for a real issue regarding them when there are so many posts going through them with detail on their real issues. Just like your “It’s a player problem.” Which it isn’t because you need to check the content since it has to go at how people go through it then that’s an issue, because timegates and again the way these timegates are implemented do nothing, which let’s be honest, you could care less if it’s in or not right? So why argue and pretend it’s not a issue for others when it in truth is for them?

I don't need to justify the existence of time gating because this isn't an academic debate about if we should have it or not.

The fact is that Anet uses time gating for some content. I can only speculate why and that's not good enough, so I don't. If time gating is a terrible evil, we need to see better reasons than "it makes me feel like I have to rush content". You might think they do nothing ... but clearly they do have an impact on how people play the game ... and that's likely part of the reason that Anet uses them.

@Obtena.7952 said:

That doesn't change what i said ... rushing can't be a problem for time-gated content if it's not a problem for non-time gated content. Content is still fun (and is subjective anyways) and players still have options to experience it ... as far as I can see, those philosophies still stand.

Them dictating when I can do something is not autonomy. Being unable to do content is not fun.