[merged] About the Skyscale Timegate...

@Obtena.7952 said:

That doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Players not being able to understand ANet's motives is NOT a compelling reason for ANet to repeal time gated content.

How, pray tell, are we supposed to "understand ANet's motives" when they haven't even told us what their motives are? We got no information on launch, can't even figure out information until the time-gates are passed, and have gotten zero response from ANet as to why this is the way it is.

You're not, but you don't need to. That doesn't mean those motives don't exist and they didn't have a reason to use time-gating.

Thanks for skipping over the first half of the post where I literally explained why people are thinking they shouldn't be using time-gating on this content just so you could say the same thing you said before I replied.

@Melian.5368 said:Timegating is one thing but making players depend on RNG just to be able to complete the collections is another crime in itself. In the Claw of Jormag boss event a lot of people can't progress because darned elementals don't freeze them due to the sheer number of players, pets and minions around.

There's another method that's way easier in the tooltip, to get frozen by the ice storm mobs in Bitterfrost Frontier. It only took me 10 seconds that way, but this implies that you have access to S3E3 and therefore Bitterfrost. And I know plenty of people who came in post-PoF and never got S3, so they're limited to what you said.

I'm also slightly confused about the arguments in favour of the timegates.

It seems that 'One Collection Per Day' is your preferred approach. Therefore, this forced restriction has no effect on you. The only timegate would be yourself.

Your argument seems to be "if I have no issues doing it at my own pace, then other players shouldn't have a problem doing it at my own pace either". But that's not the case.

We have just as much right to do this at our own personal pace as you do. If you're getting what you want whether it's forced or not, what are you so afraid of losing if it were to change?

You have nothing to lose here.

@Melian.5368 said:Timegating is one thing but making players depend on RNG just to be able to complete the collections is another crime in itself. In the Claw of Jormag boss event a lot of people can't progress because darned elementals don't freeze them due to the sheer number of players, pets and minions around.

I have not gotten that far yet but seem to recall reading on reddit that you can get frozen in Biterfrost Frontier for that part.

That description is misleading. You don't need Claw of Jormag for that.

@"Thundabolt.8541" said:I'm also slightly confused about the arguments in favour of the timegates.

It seems that 'One Collection Per Day' is your preferred approach. Therefore, this forced restriction has no effect on you. The only timegate would be yourself.

Your argument seems to be "if I have no issues doing it at my own pace, then other players shouldn't have a problem doing it at my own pace either". But that's not the case.

We have just as much right to do this at our own personal pace as you do. If you're getting what you want whether it's forced or not, what are you so afraid of losing if it were to change?

You have nothing to lose here.

I don't have much to say about "1 collection per day", but the problem is much worse.

1) if it took me 2 days to complete the collection, why should I be time gated another day?2) why should I wait 4/5 more days to feed the Skyscale 12 times, 3 times each day? That's not a collection, but 1 single step of a collection.

Also, depending on how many charged quartz you happen to have stockpiled you either have to spend 100g or you can make 3000g.

At best they completely failed to predict the market.

@CJtheBigBear.9610 said:

That doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Players not being able to understand ANet's motives is NOT a compelling reason for ANet to repeal time gated content.

How, pray tell, are we supposed to "understand ANet's motives" when they haven't even told us what their motives are? We got no information on launch, can't even figure out information until the time-gates are passed, and have gotten zero response from ANet as to why this is the way it is.

You're not, but you don't need to. That doesn't mean those motives don't exist and they didn't have a reason to use time-gating.

Thanks for skipping over the first half of the post where I literally explained why people are thinking they shouldn't be using time-gating on this content just so you could say the same thing you said before I replied.

I didn't skip it ... I just didn't think it was relevant. Any argument where the premise is that there isn't a reason for time gating is not worth discussing to begin with. That doesn't make sense with the reality of the game. If you can't acknowledge there is a reason for it, your argument is dead in the water because it clearly opposes the reason Anet used it, whatever that reason is.

Like I told the other guy ... this isn't about who's right or wrong on time gating. It's about coming to some understanding that there is a reason for Anet to use it. If you want to make a case for why time gating is bad in this case, you can't assume off the start there isn't a reason to use it.

• ArenaNet Staff

Hi everyone,

I wanted to provide a brief update after talking to various developers. We’re aware of the concerns expressed in this thread. The team is currently regrouping and we’re aiming to communicate more about this topic as soon as we possibly can.

In the meantime, we're pushing a hotfix that will include hiding the skyscale Mastery line for players who have not acquired the skyscale so that they will continue to gain Mastery experience toward acquiring Spirit Shards.

We're also working on another hotfix coming later that will alleviate issues with finishing the Skyscale of Ice achievement in Frostgorge Sound by making the Corrupted Ice Elementals near the Claw of Jormag event respawn regularly. These creatures can encase you in ice and progress the Skyscale of Ice achievement. This is a temporary fix until we can get something more permanent.

Thank you for your understanding and patience.

@Obtena.7952 said:

I didn't skip it ... I just didn't think it was relevant. Any argument where the premise is that there isn't a reason for time gating is not worth discussing to begin with. That doesn't make sense with the reality of the game. If you can't acknowledge there is a reason for it, your argument is dead in the water because it clearly opposes the reason Anet used it, whatever that reason is.

Like I told the other guy ... this isn't about who's right or wrong on time gating. It's about coming to some understanding that there is a reason for Anet to use it. If you want to make a case for why time gating is bad in this case, you can't assume off the start there isn't a reason to use it.

I think you are not far enough in this collection to judge. I was fine with the first 3 steps being time gated. Took me long and with work and stuff I didn't care much (except for those poor souls that completed the first collection 1 minute after midnight).

However at the point where you have to make/buy a 22 charged quartz (timegated) to feed the skyscale 12 times with a limit of 3 times per day (timegated), that's just trolling

@Stephane Lo Presti.7258 said:Hi everyone,

I wanted to provide a brief update after talking to various developers. We’re aware of the concernsWe're also working on another hotfix coming later that will alleviate issues with finishing the Skyscale of Ice achievement in Frostgorge Sound by making the Corrupted Ice Elementals near the Claw of Jormag event respawn regularly. These creatures can encase you in ice and progress the Skyscale of Ice achievement. This is a temporary fix until we can get something more permanent.

That's almost useless. Just change the tooltip for that achievement, you can find those elementals in other maps without waiting for an event. Took me like 10 seconds

@Kidel.2057 said:

I think you are not far enough in this collection to judge. I was fine with the first 3 steps being time gated. Took me long and with work and stuff I didn't care much (except for those poor souls that completed the first collection 1 minute after midnight).

However at the point where you have to make/buy a 22 charged quartz (timegated) to feed the skyscale 12 times with a limit of 3 times per day (timegated), that's just trolling

you can buy the finished items on tp

I wanted to provide a brief update after talking to various developers. We’re aware of the concerns expressed in this thread. The team is currently regrouping and we’re aiming to communicate more about this topic as soon as we possibly can.

In the meantime, we're pushing a hotfix that will include hiding the skyscale Mastery line for players who have not acquired the skyscale so that they will continue to gain Mastery experience toward acquiring Spirit Shards.

We're also working on another hotfix coming later that will alleviate issues with finishing the Skyscale of Ice achievement in Frostgorge Sound by making the Corrupted Ice Elementals near the Claw of Jormag event respawn regularly. These creatures can encase you in ice and progress the Skyscale of Ice achievement. This is a temporary fix until we can get something more permanent.

Thank you so much for the response!

Thank you for the heads up.

@Kidel.2057 said:

I don't need to judge anything ... I'm well versed in how time gating works ... it's not like this is new. The funny thing is that I've got all the charged quartz I need already and I haven't even got to that part or even knew about it. Thanks for the heads up.

I appreciate the update.

It's still useless since you need 4 days to feed it 3 items each day (up to 12). So 4 more days of clicking 1 button (honestly I see no reason for time gating that specific achievement, seriously, it can't be justified).

And we don't even know what's the last part. At best we will know it in 5 more days.

At this point it could be even worse. Like "spend 25 hours on a skyscale without logging out".

However if you don't care about the timing just craft the items and sell them. You can make good gold.

@CJtheBigBear.9610 said:

Man I got to tell you, at this point there is but only so much sense you can try to give, sometimes people will stay against it no matter what.

Might as well let them be, going forward I'm honestly glad that I've got to speak to people who voted no but had suggestions on how to improve it because they are aware that the way timegate as it is now, doesn't help the gameplay overall in a [positive] manner. That and the merged thread got a response so far so maybe they'll do something.(Not holding my breath but appreciate an official update nonetheless)

I hope future players don't have to be so restricted to daily resets cause it's not fun, at all. Also to alleviate the 22 days, y'all can buy skyscale food, yet it's still timegated to 3 times a day, wouldn't be all that bad if daily reset timegate didn't exist.(For me)

As I delve further into the collections I'm finding them very fun. The time gates are annoying still but I'm liking the overall story/quest forming with these after I got past the egg hunt stuff so I'd like to amend my complaints that it's not bad content, it's just a bit off putting that I have to wait days to proceed.