[merged] About the Skyscale Timegate...

@LucianDK.8615 said:I dont see the same level of complaints for the griffon, even if 250g and joining events appearently is out of reach for many casuals.I think the first major stumbling block for many is the 4 djiins fight in Vabbi.

I know some one who had this problem because their pc (or their game rather) would lock up during the fight the only way i got them around that step was to have them teleport to me with a TP to friend from town once the fight was over as the djiin remains there for a while after the chaos stops

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

@Ototo.3214 said:I'm fine with doing collections. I'm fine with the collections taking 30+ hours. But let me do it at my own pace. I hate feeling like I have to rush to finish the kitten thing each day and can't stop to just...play fractals with friends or anything like that because if I don't finish it before reset, I have to wait another 24 hours before I can do anything. It's unneeded stress and frustration for a collection I'd otherwise really enjoy.

But you don't, because you can't rush time gated content. If you feel like that, that's a player problem.

You see, the big problem I have here is that no one complains they are stressed when content ISN'T time gated but they should be because it does get harder to do group content when it isn't

... but when your forced by the game to progress content in steps over time .. THAT is stressful? That doesn't make sense.

I think you are taking his words too literallyI think he means like me for example i did nothing till the reset yesterday and rushed to complete the egg magic gathering collection so that that i wouldnt have to worry about not finishing it before reset it took about 4 hours doing it with a group.

After that i was done didn't do dailies, fractals, or play dragonfall at all i was pretty much done.Based on what im hearing for the next step ill be feeding a skyscale 3 times then today I might do fractals if they are any i particularly like after which ill going to prob stop and play another game.

If there are going to be more time gates within time gates the ESO new chapter early access is looking more and more lovely by the day. At which point i could be playing that and logging into gw2 just to feed a train a pet thats not a pet 3 times a day.

Ideally we are still rushing content because no one wants to wait an extra day if they dont have to. And because the mount is the main focus for so many people it easily pushes other forms of content to the side.

The decision to rush is a player issue and I doesn't make sense to make an argument based on it. All content gets rushed by people to some degree, but for some reason when it's time gated, rushing it all the sudden a big problem for you? That doesn't make sense.

Just be honest here ... you just want the mount without artificial restrictions imposed on you. Feeling like you have to rush content is not a compelling argument to not have time gates.

Except the time gate is causing people to rush the collections within that given day. Many of my friends started the collection for the mount and were taking their time because they didn't think it had some stupid time gate to it. Then when they found out it was gated, they started rushing it.

So what? That's still a player perception issue.

What was that that they said were their core philosophies for GW2 in that recent update on what was to come for the game? Wait, player autonomy and fun content were listed? That can't be right. That really screws with player expectations.

That doesn't change what i said ... rushing can't be a problem for time-gated content if it's not a problem for non-time gated content. Content is still fun (and is subjective anyways) and players still have options to experience it ... as far as I can see, those philosophies still stand.

The difference is that with non time gated content you are rushing at your own pace because you enjoy doing so.If you are getting close to reset and you know you are losing a day if you don't rush to finish the collection because you will get stuck on working on it very early on when trying to work on it the next day, in which case you feel forced to rush and burn yourself out to finish those parts up, which makes rushing a problem, due to the time gate.

So it's not about the rush ... because you don't mind doing it at your own pace. So the real problem here is not about rushing content.

Except it is, because I and many others wouldn't rush that hard it it weren't for the time gate, or be bummed out about missing the reset because they were busy enjoying the map and story instead of working on the collection already, just to then realise that progression is gated when wanting to work on it the next day.Is this really that hard to understand, or do you simply refuse to do so?

Oh c'mon.. at least be a little more honest about your issue here.I mean there is no genuine reason to feel forced into rushing just cos you missed a reset... if your RL schedule is such that you only have those few minutes each day to get the skyscale bit done then there is little ANET can do to help.No sorry, the real reason you are causing a fuss about this is because you want to rush it to completion ASAP.... and then what, what will you be doing when you have it completed - logoff until next content update (hardly great for ANET from a business perspective) OR will you go about playing out all the other content options you have at your fingertips especially new map and new content (if so what is stopping you doing while your waiting for the next skyscale content to become available??)No sorry the " ANET force me to rush cos reset" is just a very poor attempt to smokescreen the "I want it, I want it NAOW" mentality, nothing more.

Actually no. It's quite clear some people have difficulty with reading comprehension here. Sure, some might want to rush to completion but some of us would like to feel like we can stop and start whenever we want. The main issue is the time gate on top of numerous bloated collections that take hours to complete. The collections themselves aren't the problem, it's perfectly fine to have a collection be big like this. But to make it so you can't start the next collection until a reset happens? And if you failed to finish the previous before the reset you now have to wait 24 hours again? I'd like to be able to work on it, take a break to go do something else, then come back to it and not feel like I screwed myself over because I finished the collection 10 minutes after reset and now have to wait another day. It's entirely pointless to have the time gate, especially when you've hyped it up and claim it'll drop on the patch day, May 14th, when in actuality...who fckin knows when we'll actually be able to have one. Most people probably still won't have one by the time the guild chat for it even happens on the 24th. Casual players or those with busy schedules should be able to log on, work on the collections for the time they have, the come back to it when they finally have time again without feeling like they're losing out. It punishes those people more than the people that have nothing to do but play GW2 all day.

I actually have no issue with the charged quartz crystal time gate alone, haven't gotten to it yet but it sounds like you just feed them and move on. Sucks to have to wait another day but at least it doesn't eat 6+ hours of what little play time I get and I can actually like...go do something else. But it stacked on top of each collection having it's own daily reset time gate makes it unbearable.

Nope sorry not buying that excuse.Your available time in game is not ANET's problem. Other player may have the same issues just at different times of day. If you miss a reset so what, the skyscale will still be there and your not being disadvantaged in anyway that is just simply rubbish. Time gates are utilised for a reason but saying you have to login, rush to get stuff done before reset is just "it's not fair I want it naow" nothing more

Thanks for not actually reading what I said. Try again. If you think this is about instant gratification it really isn't. I even said I was fine with one of the damn time gates, the one that could potentially take someone 22 days to get through.

And just because something had a reason to be used does not mean it's good. Pretty sure we know the reason: to artificially extend content. Doesn't make it good game design and if it clearly upsets a large portion of the player base for more than just "I want it nao" it should at least be addressed by Anet.

They listened to the incessant waves of WvWer moaning and groaning over the broken Warclaw that had poor design initially, why should this be any different.

@DreamySkullz.8203 said:It's not that I don't appreciate going through harder loops to get an item that's worth it; the collection itself is fine. I don't even mind the time gates for like an hour or so. Something to make people slow down. But a whole day feels like over kill. Especially for those of us who have full time jobs and irl commitments. There's nothing wrong with appealing to a casual crowd, which is why so many people love GW2.

No one is saying they don't want to work for their items. It DOES feel like an accomplishment when you work hard for something and get it. The only thing I feel needs to be nerfed is the time gating, to perhaps a few hours at most if it's a mechanic that must stay.

I'm just hoping when it's over we'll get something worth while.

I agree with this.... The feeding steps or even the hatch steps could have been based on in game days which are a few hours apart during which time you could go do other content (other map metas, fractals, pvp, wvw, etc.) and come back and feed the dragon on the next in game day or something. Even if the hatching process took several in game days thats still could be several hours or for most people what would have been the next day or time they logged in.

The time gate was a bit drastic lets just hope the future collection steps also dont extend the window like the feeding process does if so thats another who knows how many irl days for people who play every day and who knows how long for people who only play weekends or a few times a week.

@"bOTEB.1573" said:

@"bOTEB.1573" said:There are thousands of people already at the 1st or 2nd day of feeding their Scyscale. At this point redesigning the collection would be a disaster.I like it as it is. A collection inspired by the spirit of a true RPG. Raising your baby Skyscale feels so natural :)

This would be like saying that cars shouldn't be invented, because it isn't fair to all the old people who had to walk everywhere. There is no equivalence of injustice; it doesn't matter how many people were subjugated to bad design. A bad system should be fixed.

So you are saying that it is ok for you to put your 2 yo kid in advanced technological incubator and make it 25 yo adult instantly?

Aurene grew pretty darn fast just saying... thats the joy of magic in this game. (depending on when you played the end of PoF and Living world season 4 episode 1 she went from toddler size to skyscale size in what felt like a day lol.

We even gave the dragon a magical device called a grow lamp ideally would speed up growth what do you think should really be happeningThe fact that the first generation was fully grown and had already laid eggs around the map... hmmmmm oh they were going to die from aging to fast as well if i recall.

So yes.... in this case yes it wouldn't be so bad that the dragon goes from an egg to ridable size fairly quickly. Thats the joy of magic and fantasy.

@Obtena.7952 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:The fact is that most of the complaints don't make sense, so you can repeat them 2 or 3 or even 4 hundred times ... that doesn't make them more sensible.

having to rush content is definitely one of those nonsensical complaints.

What if your ideals dont make sense and you are the one who is wrong here? Can we consider this a possibility?

This isn't about me being wrong or right ... or you or other players. It's about understanding why Anet uses time gating. No one here complaining has ONCE attempted to think of why it's being used. It's just assumed that it 'does nothing'. Go back to the drawing board. Clearly, it's doing something, otherwise people wouldn't be here.

Ok now we are getting some where Ding Ding!

THATS THE ISSUE!

WE CANT TELL YOU WHY ITS BEING USED BECAUSE IT SHOULDNT HAVE BEEN. THERE WAS NO GOOD REASON THAT WE CAN SEE FOR IT.

That doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Players not being able to understand Anet's motives is NOT a compelling reason for Anet to repeal time gated content.

Just some more thoughts ...

See here is the problem ... WHATEVER the reason is (we don't need to know it), you have to believe there is one, because it's more work for Anet to use time gating. If they didn't have a reason, why would time gate something if it's more work for them? I don't think they would, and it's pretty clear they use that approach sparingly. Therefore, ANY discussion you want to have about time gating that is based on the premise there is NO reason to use it is faulty, right out of the gate. It's not even worth engaging anyone in a discussion that believes there is NO reason to use time gating.

For fun ... HOW any anti-time gate posters do you think are using this platform to make their case? It's LOTS ... and they are all wrong.

ok cool you actually made a realistic rebuttal this time.I agree that the use of daily time gates is rare among anet , usually its locked to progress for specific things like legendary weapons, some ascended gear or currency used to buy or make such things.

In this case its a mount, even if there is a reason (of which we cannot understand) for it it does not mean that players are not allowed to be upset about it when its not the standard for unlocking mounts based on every other mount in the past even the hidden one (griffon). From our stand point a mount marketed as the one of the 3 or 4 main features of a new update or living world patch is generally obtainable fairly quickly. This has been the standard for pretty much every mount they have released for PoF and after PoF up till now. ITS WHAT PLAYERS ARE USE TO!

What ever the reason is, players do have a right to feel they have been wronged here because the mount was not marketed as a ascended or legendary item to obtain, it was marketed and teased in our faces with the idea of "Get yours today."

You certainly cannot tell people that they are wrong for feeling bamboozled when pretty much thats what anet did here even if that was not their true intention. IF they repeal the time gate is not up to us but we certainly should give feed back so that anet knows "dont do this without warning" and "dont do this when its not been the standard" because it generated nothing but mostly negative feedback on multiple platforms. Even if you dont agree with the majority for good reason you are sadly part of the minority here don't expect people to instantly agree with you even more so if you are just going "You are wrong, you should wait, it does not bother me so it should not bother you."

As i said before also I think many of us would shut up rather quickly if anet made a statement about their reasoning behind it but they are leaving us in the dark here. If anet chooses to stand firm with their choice we cant do anything about it but we at the very least would like to know why this is being done for a mount. Anything like "to keep people playing, or to keep a map populated" will certainly gain negative views from the communities majority. There are other methods of achieving those task.

Heck, i wouldn't mind if there was a time gate just not one that spans this drastically for a mount they could have locked it to in game days which are a few hours apart each. Ideally even if some one played hard it would still take a few days to do. Also we have to absolutely acknowledge the double time gate and for some people who dont have mats triple time gate thats built into this collection (what could be multiple times base on future collections) .

We do think anet made a bad choice here simply put even if we don't understand it we do understand that there were better options they could have taken. For the way this mount was teased around.

Hey, feel what you want .. but that's NOT a reason to compel Anet to not use time gates. People feel it's wrong? There are too many? Sounds like EVERY time Anet uses time gates. I have yet to see a place where time gates were used and people disliked it. Dislike is not a reason for Anet to rethink this.

As customers who play / use their service (the game gw2) it actually really is.Like i said we can force them to do it but we can certainly give feed back and you dont upset your customers intentionally

No it really isn't because Anet can't implement everything in a way that everyone likes. They know some ways they do things will upset people ... that shouldn't stop them from doing it. That kind of thinking is completely unreasonable.

I agree but they should ideally try to please the majority and not each and very small minorityIn this case obviously there is a majority who is not happy with the way this was implemented and you cant deny the feedback here even if you dont think any person does not have the right answer the majority of people here and on other social media platforms are responding negatively.

You don't know how many people are unhappy about it and you don't know if it's the majority. Unhappy people complain ... happy people do not. It's always biased to unhappy posts.

Im looking at the comments here, twitter post, and reddit post + what i see being said within game map chat. Assuming that of all 4 places im looking and im seeing a 75 /25 split of negative to positive percentage wise who are you to tell me i dont know and cant know how many people are unhappy. IM LITERALLY LOOKING AT IT.While i will admit what i see cannot account for every single player i can assume with good reason behind it based on what i am seeing that the majoity of players are responding negatively to it even the ones who are not posting here, twitter, reddit, and in game. Stop being bluntly ignorant to the topic and pretending you dont see the negative feedback it just because you take no issue with the situation yourself.

And if you are a happy person why are you here?A happy person wont care if it changes right?

@thehipone.6812 said:

I had ran up to my local Dollar General and bought a bunch of beef jerky, doritos, cheese dip, and mountain dew just for the occasion. But when I returned to Gorrik, he reluctantly told me to put down the beef jerky, to seal up my bag of doritos, to put my chees dip & mountain back in the fridge, because now _
____

This has copypasta potential.

My main reaction was a bit of disappointment that there was this new map, obviously designed for the new mount, and here I am playing a bunch on the new map WITHOUT being able to take advantage of the new mount. That is, once I finally get the thing, I'm likely to be ready to go back to some other parts of the game and take a break from grinding on new map.

Yeah I kind of thought about that as well. By the time you unlock it, you'll have all the other achievements in the map done as well, and be well and ready to leave that map with little reason to ever go back. So unless we back peddle previous content like HoT maps to build legends or something, there really doesn't seem to be any areas it would get to shine any more or less than the Griffon.

What would have felt great, was being able to use it freely vs. Dragonfall's terrain while completing other meta achievements. That would have been very fun and better delivered the flavor of the new mount.

@ZDragon.3046 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:The fact is that most of the complaints don't make sense, so you can repeat them 2 or 3 or even 4 hundred times ... that doesn't make them more sensible.

What if your ideals dont make sense and you are the one who is wrong here? Can we consider this a possibility?

This isn't about me being wrong or right ... or you or other players. It's about understanding why Anet uses time gating. No one here complaining has ONCE attempted to think of why it's being used. It's just assumed that it 'does nothing'. Go back to the drawing board. Clearly, it's doing something, otherwise people wouldn't be here.

THATS THE ISSUE!

WE CANT TELL YOU WHY ITS BEING USED BECAUSE IT SHOULDNT HAVE BEEN. THERE WAS NO GOOD REASON THAT WE CAN SEE FOR IT.

That doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Players not being able to understand Anet's motives is NOT a compelling reason for Anet to repeal time gated content.

See here is the problem ... WHATEVER the reason is (we don't need to know it), you have to believe there is one, because it's more work for Anet to use time gating. If they didn't have a reason, why would time gate something if it's more work for them? I don't think they would, and it's pretty clear they use that approach sparingly. Therefore, ANY discussion you want to have about time gating that is based on the premise there is NO reason to use it is faulty, right out of the gate. It's not even worth engaging anyone in a discussion that believes there is NO reason to use time gating.

For fun ... HOW any anti-time gate posters do you think are using this platform to make their case? It's LOTS ... and they are all wrong.

ok cool you actually made a realistic rebuttal this time.I agree that the use of daily time gates is rare among anet , usually its locked to progress for specific things like legendary weapons, some ascended gear or currency used to buy or make such things.

In this case its a mount, even if there is a reason (of which we cannot understand) for it it does not mean that players are not allowed to be upset about it when its not the standard for unlocking mounts based on every other mount in the past even the hidden one (griffon). From our stand point a mount marketed as the one of the 3 or 4 main features of a new update or living world patch is generally obtainable fairly quickly. This has been the standard for pretty much every mount they have released for PoF and after PoF up till now. ITS WHAT PLAYERS ARE USE TO!

What ever the reason is, players do have a right to feel they have been wronged here because the mount was not marketed as a ascended or legendary item to obtain, it was marketed and teased in our faces with the idea of "Get yours today."

You certainly cannot tell people that they are wrong for feeling bamboozled when pretty much thats what anet did here even if that was not their true intention. IF they repeal the time gate is not up to us but we certainly should give feed back so that anet knows "dont do this without warning" and "dont do this when its not been the standard" because it generated nothing but mostly negative feedback on multiple platforms. Even if you dont agree with the majority for good reason you are sadly part of the minority here don't expect people to instantly agree with you even more so if you are just going "You are wrong, you should wait, it does not bother me so it should not bother you."

As i said before also I think many of us would shut up rather quickly if anet made a statement about their reasoning behind it but they are leaving us in the dark here. If anet chooses to stand firm with their choice we cant do anything about it but we at the very least would like to know why this is being done for a mount. Anything like "to keep people playing, or to keep a map populated" will certainly gain negative views from the communities majority. There are other methods of achieving those task.

Heck, i wouldn't mind if there was a time gate just not one that spans this drastically for a mount they could have locked it to in game days which are a few hours apart each. Ideally even if some one played hard it would still take a few days to do. Also we have to absolutely acknowledge the double time gate and for some people who dont have mats triple time gate thats built into this collection (what could be multiple times base on future collections) .

We do think anet made a bad choice here simply put even if we don't understand it we do understand that there were better options they could have taken. For the way this mount was teased around.

Hey, feel what you want .. but that's NOT a reason to compel Anet to not use time gates. People feel it's wrong? There are too many? Sounds like EVERY time Anet uses time gates. I have yet to see a place where time gates were used and people disliked it. Dislike is not a reason for Anet to rethink this.

As customers who play / use their service (the game gw2) it actually really is.Like i said we can force them to do it but we can certainly give feed back and you dont upset your customers intentionally

No it really isn't because Anet can't implement everything in a way that everyone likes. They know some ways they do things will upset people ... that shouldn't stop them from doing it. That kind of thinking is completely unreasonable.

I agree but they should ideally try to please the majority and not each and very small minorityIn this case obviously there is a majority who is not happy with the way this was implemented and you cant deny the feedback here even if you dont think any person does not have the right answer the majority of people here and on other social media platforms are responding negatively.

You don't know how many people are unhappy about it and you don't know if it's the majority. Unhappy people complain ... happy people do not. It's always biased to unhappy posts.

Im looking at the comments here, twitter post, and reddit post + what i see being said within game map chat. Assuming that of all 4 places im looking and im seeing a 75 /25 split of negative to positive percentage wise who are you to tell me i dont know and cant know how many people are unhappy. IM LITERALLY LOOKING AT IT.While i will admit what i see cannot account for every single player i can assume with good reason behind it based on what i am seeing that the majoity of players are responding negatively to it even the ones who are not posting here, twitter, reddit, and in game. Stop being bluntly ignorant to the topic and pretending you dont see the negative feedback it just because you take no issue with the situation yourself.

And if you are a happy person why are you here?A happy person wont care if it changes right?

A happy person may become an unhappy person after the change :)

@"Trevor Boyer.6524" said:Alright, I'm not THAT big of a PvE guy outside of T4/CM fractals & Raids at this point. Usually I do content once for the story which I enjoy, and just pick up whatever achievements/unlocks that I actually want for my wardrobe. I've never complained about any of the other achievements/unlocks, mainly because other content was designed to keep you doing something interesting during the collections. For example, grinding a GoB allows you to stay in WvW and during that time you can forget why you're even there, and have something engaging to do during the process. Another example, PvP Wings which mostly revolves around getting players competitive and doing something engaging while working towards what they want. Other examples are, Fractal Wings, various Ascended Weapons, ect ect.. they task you with actually doing things that are engaging and rewarding in other areas while working towards what they want. Hell, I didn't even complain about the Griffon unlock. It was a bit tedious but it wasn't completely ridiculous.

However.. this is how I've felt so far about the Skyscale unlock achievements. The actual phases of reaction I had:

1. OK, I just finished the story and I've got the full map completion uncovered, let's do this.
  2. Alright nothing new, it's another collection. Gonna start getting these scales.
  3. kitten, this one is taking awhile. I hope the others aren't this grindy.
  4. Some odd hours later I'm thinking: "Alright got one down. Man it's kind of annoying to have to keep alt/tabbing out of my game to refer to guides to even be able to finish something like this in a reasonable time frame. Thank god for the guides though or it would unreasonable to ever finish these collection achievements."
  5. Go to start medicine achievement. Wait, what? I have to run 10 events in each lane now? Hrm… Ok let's do this.
  6. Some odd hours later after completing it in a few metas and buying the medicine I'm thinking: "Oh wow, I've spent most of my day on this already and I really haven't gotten anything done."
  7. Go to Gorrik and he tells me I have to go distribute medicine to various Skyscales around the map. OK so it's another super collection hunt.. here we go.. alright let's do it.. But first I've got to sleep.. that took all day.
  8. Wake up and resume play while refreshed and mentally ready to grind another collection. Some odd hours later, finish the distribute medicine.
  9. Go to Gorrik and he tells me that I must now go find eggs and boy oh boy are there a lot of them. I'm thinking: "Are you 'ing serious right now? I have to go back to the same places I was just at for another Easter Egg Hunt, literally in this case, again? WOW, I think I'm actually getting irritated by these achievements for once."
  10. Some odd hours later finish eggs and return to Gorrik. I had woken up with nothing to do that day and had planned to finish the achievements to unlock Skyscale. I had actually scheduled and made time for this. I had ran up to my local Dollar General and bought a bunch of beef jerky, doritos, cheese dip, and mountain dew just for the occasion. But when I returned to Gorrik, he reluctantly told me to put down the beef jerky, to seal up my bag of doritos, to put my chees dip & mountain back in the fridge, because now I was going to have to wait for the daily reset to resume the achievement, only a few hours into my day of gaming.
  11. I sat and looked at the screen with the expression of a man pondering "kitten?" I wasn't sure if I was mad about it or stressed out from all the previous grinding up to that point because it was a lot. All I knew is that I had a full day off, was ready to get something done gaming wise, but now I had to wait. It felt like a like blow tbh.
  12. So I figured I'd try to do some of the other achievements while waiting for the daily reset. I wanted to finish obtaining the armor pieces and all I had left was to complete bridge events and to kill 4 bosses at the end of the meta. But honestly at that point, I just logged offline because I was pissed off.

Not even gonna get philosophical & psychological here. Just gonna say that, time gating feels bad man. It's no fun, waiting is no fun. And forever Easter Egg hunts that steer you away from engaging gameplay are not fun either. And it is in general not fun when something has a ridiculous amount of achievements to complete to obtain. If something has a ridiculous amount of achievements to complete to obtain, it better be worth it.

I'd also like to point out what I feel is the difference between "Good Difficult" and "Bad Difficult or sometimes I describe as Painful." Good Difficult is like Fractals & Raids. They are challenging and engaging to the player's mechanical skill and knowledge of the game. Bad Difficult or Painful, is having to run circles in the same places over and over again for multiple collections that take several several hours to complete. This is unengaging and extremely boring because it does not pose a challenge to a player's skill or knowledge of the game. It only poses a challenge to their patience, which begins to stir great frustration while playing. At least it certainly does that to me.

I truly enjoyed all of this LW content. The end was a great finale. Actually all of PoF was pretty kick kitten tbh. But boy oh boy those ultra Easter Egg Treasure Hunting Adventures, would it be possible if we could lay off of that, just a little bit?

Exactly the same experience for me but least you didn't finish the the first collection 10 minutes after the daily reset (2 am on my timezone) and had to continue 25 hours later. Already uninstalled the game (no timegate for doing this) and returned to the previous mmo I was in. This was one of the worst experiences I've had in a long time in a mmo, after all the hype for this new mount during the last month they really fucked up the delivery here. Maybe if they are more open about this sort of stuff in the future I will return for a new LW. But as of now, anything besides actually getting the mount after completing the story or the 1st collection won't make me want to come back.

@"bOTEB.1573" said:

THATS THE ISSUE!

A happy person may become an unhappy person after the change :)

In this situation can you explain in what way a person happy with this system might become unhappy with it if it were to change.

I would surely hope its not loss of egotism "oh everyone has x item now it does not feel special anymore to me"To think this means that you previously though "im more special than you because i have x item."

Happy person gets item easier and or faster how does this make person unhappy. I suppose some people like to work extra hard over longer periods for no reason when they didnt have to but then let me ask this why not make some other extra item skin or feature that keeps those people happy too.

In any case you look at it its still a bad choice here on anets part without proper explanation.

@Kidel.2057 said:

@Melian.5368 said:Timegating is one thing but making players depend on RNG just to be able to complete the collections is another crime in itself. In the Claw of Jormag boss event a lot of people can't progress because darned elementals don't freeze them due to the sheer number of players, pets and minions around.

That description is misleading. You don't need Claw of Jormag for that.

Nothing misleading about the description. It's just people these days have such horrible reading comprehension they can't handle multiple options presented at once. It clearly says the 2 options you can use.

@Stephane Lo Presti.7258 said:We're also working on another hotfix coming later that will alleviate issues with finishing the Skyscale of Ice achievement in Frostgorge Sound by making the Corrupted Ice Elementals near the Claw of Jormag event respawn regularly.Just to share it with you and everyone else. I've been able to finish Ice Skyscale collection simply by poking Veteran Ice Elementals in Bitterfrost during cleared Storm. Veteran Ice Elementals in Bitterfrost have a standart attack, that places you in frozen prison. Therefore, advancing you collection.

@Aeon.4583 said:

@Stephane Lo Presti.7258 said:We're also working on another hotfix coming later that will alleviate issues with finishing the Skyscale of Ice achievement in Frostgorge Sound by making the Corrupted Ice Elementals near the Claw of Jormag event respawn regularly.Just to share it with you and everyone else. I've been able to finish Ice Scyscale collection simply by poking Veteran Ice Elementals in Bitterfrost during cleared Storm. Veteran Ice Elemntals in Bitterfrost have a standart attack, that places you in frozen prison. Therefore, advancing you collection.

This is what I did as well, but people who don't have Season 3 Episode 3 [which is a good amount of people who came in post-PoF] and therefore Bitterfrost can't use this method, so CoJ is their only method.

@Billy.1879 said:how long even is the time gate?

Depends which time-gate you're talking about.

If you're talking about the time-gate between collections, it requires you to have the previous collection fully completed before the daily server reset in order to progress to the next one. So on that alone, 4 daily resets at max. However;

Collection 3 contains two items that require a combined total of 22 Charged Quartz Crystals [10 for the lamp, 12 for the twelve pieces of food] , an item that is time-gated to being able to craft a single one per day. So basically, if you don't have enough money saved to buy the Grow Lamp and 12 Skyscale Food off of the Trading Post, or don't have any CQCs, that's 22 days.

Even if you did have the crystals though, you're limited to feeding your Skyscale 3 times a day, and need to do it 12 times total, so that's essentially 4 days.

Nobody knows anything about Collections 4 and 5 yet, because the achievements and everything contained within them are locked until Collection 3 is completed, and the most progressed people won't have 4 unlocked until Sunday at the earliest.

So as far as we know, depending on the factors, at a minimum, about 8, and at a maximum, about 26, provided you're feeding the food to the Skyscale right after you craft it.

My own two cents on the whole "We have a full-time job and can't play much" argument...

If you are working full-time and can only play 1 hour, up to 2 hours, the time-gate should be way, way less punishing. (Jee my fingers are freezing, typing's hard)In fact, if, like were given examples higher up, it takes you 6 hours to do the first collection (which it took me, yes, 6 hours to do), that means that you can do the first collection in a minimum, already of 3 to 6 days. Thus, making the whole point of "Argh the daily reset freaks me over because I can't play enough to finish the collection before the first day's reset!" (which I didn't achieve, either) invalid because you wouldn't be able to without the time gate anyways because you work.

For the bingers like me, the time gate actually is a good thing. It forces you to take a break and do some other stuff. It's annoying yes. Should it be reworked? No. It adds gradual value to something that is "end game" in most cases, especially if you already did do a legendary. They take way more time than a week to complete and you know it.

Tldr: if your argument is to whine about the fact your work schedules make it impossible for you to complete the collection in the set daily reset frame, it is invalid. Simply put, you wouldn't have time to do it otherwise anyway. I quote someone from above:> @CJtheBigBear.9610 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:You're grossly exaggerating how long it takes to do the collections.

For one, it took me six hours to do the entire first day collection without a guide so you can easily do it in a fraction of the time. It really shouldn't take someone more than three hours to do this with a guide.

It took me two hours to do the second day's collection. No guide needed as the hints were very straightforward compared to the previous day's collections.

It took a total of an hour to do the third day's collection and that's counting the next two days of feeding the mount.

It took me 6 to do the first day's with a guide.It took me 5 to do the second's.It took me 2 to do the third's before the time-gated feeding.

Everyone does things at a different pace. Some people did it quick enough to already been on Day 2 of the feeding already. We already knew this.

Again, just because you could do it in a certain time even with the restrictions, it doesn't mean everyone does/can.

If you have only one to two hours to spend on the game, in the end, you still won't be able to do it in the time you have specified, thus making the time-gated achievements actually be more rewarding for you because you won't be forced to wait out a whole day to unlock the new achievement collection since you'll be working. Cutting out on your gaming time, if it happens that you complete the collection right after reset, is also beneficial for you overall for obvious reasons that I won't state because they don't need to be said. (To the one I quoted: I don't mean you work (I have no idea if you work or not, I simply used your numbers to demonstrate my point because I saw similar ones higher up, I didn't read the 17 pages of thread, sorry!)

Tldrr (I don't know how to resume briefly lol) Time gating only punishes bingers. Those who say that because they work they can't complete stuff before the reset occurs, you wouldn't be able to take much advantage out of the collections not being time-gated anyways because you don't have much time to play :frown:

@CJtheBigBear.9610 said:This is what I did as well, but people who don't have Season 3 Episode 3 [which is a good amount of people who came in post-PoF] and therefore Bitterfrost can't use this method, so CoJ is their only method.Problem is, that discription states: you should be frozen by Ice Tornados which appears only during Storm. There is no mention in collection discription about Non-Storm solution with Veteran Elementals.

P.s. many players didn't believe me when i told them to do so, yet it works.

@LucianDK.8615 said:

@"Obtena.7952" said:

...Yeah, that's kinda how all criticism works. It's pointless to come on just to say "I don't care about this.", so people don't.

I'm sure that in the millions of GW2 players, half do care about the time-gate and the issues it presents them, and half don't. That's not the point though.

The point is; why does it matter so much to those who don't care, that some people do? If people really didn't care about the time-gate being in place, then it should also stand to reason that they
also
wouldn't care about the time-gate if it wasn't in place.

Yet here we are.

Its because the vocal minority frequently proclaims themselves to speak for an entire community, or we the people. Its not just limited to guild wars, you can find such soapboxing tendencies everywere.

No, it's because some in the community relish the idea that they will have something that other players won't, solely because those other players aren't willing or able to commit the necessary time or resources. That tends towards said players thinking they are superior in some way for having something others don't, and often even make the jump to thinking they are somehow "better" at GW2, or life in general, for possessing a digital entity in a make believe virtual online gaming world. This also leads to the false thought that if someone else gets something I have, it in some way diminishes me, so I will resist any efforts to make it easier for them to do so.

I often paraphrase a saying I heard many years ago: "Most people don't care only that they earn enough income for their needs, only that they earn more than other people".

It's not a gaming philosophy issue; it's a self-esteem issue.

@Aeon.4583 said:

@"CJtheBigBear.9610" said:This is what I did as well, but people who don't have Season 3 Episode 3 [which is a good amount of people who came in post-PoF] and therefore Bitterfrost can't use this method, so CoJ is their only method.Problem is, that discription states: you should be frozen by Ice Tornados which appears only during Storm. There is no mention in collection discription about Non-Storm solution with Veteran Elementals.

Ah. I see your confusion. It's not talking about the Ice Storms that occur in Bitterfrost during the brazier meta, it's talkin' about these guys.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ice_Storm_(NPC)

They spawn all over the place in BF, just gotta walk up to one and let it freeze ya. Though considering you're not the first I've seen to make that mix-up, something could probably be changed in the wording to explain that a bit better.

@Billy.1879 said:how long even is the time gate?

If you do the whole collections one after the other, it takes minimally 7 days. That is without knowledge of the other collections that we unlock afterwards. It could also be more, sadly, if you were anticipating a soon-to-be-yours skyscale. You can still have huge fun in the new map (which I'll omit the name because I don't want to spoil anyone) flying around!

@"DigiQWill.6378" said:My own two cents on the whole "We have a full-time job and can't play much" argument...

If you are working full-time and can only play 1 hour, up to 2 hours, the time-gate should be way, way less punishing. (Jee my fingers are freezing, typing's hard)In fact, if, like were given examples higher up, it takes you 6 hours to do the first collection (which it took me, yes, 6 hours to do), that means that you can do the first collection in a minimum, already of 3 to 6 days. Thus, making the whole point of "Argh the daily reset freaks me over because I can't play enough to finish the collection before the first day's reset!" (which I didn't achieve, either) invalid because you wouldn't be able to without the time gate anyways because you work.

For the bingers like me, the time gate actually is a good thing. It forces you to take a break and do some other stuff. It's annoying yes. Should it be reworked? No. It adds gradual value to something that is "end game" in most cases, especially if you already did do a legendary. They take way more time than a week to complete and you know it.

Tldr: if your argument is to whine about the fact your work schedules make it impossible for you to complete the collection in the set daily reset frame, it is invalid. Simply put, you wouldn't have time to do it otherwise anyway. I quote someone from above:> @CJtheBigBear.9610 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:You're grossly exaggerating how long it takes to do the collections.

For one, it took me six hours to do the entire first day collection without a guide so you can easily do it in a fraction of the time. It really shouldn't take someone more than three hours to do this with a guide.

It took me two hours to do the second day's collection. No guide needed as the hints were very straightforward compared to the previous day's collections.

It took a total of an hour to do the third day's collection and that's counting the next two days of feeding the mount.

It took me 6 to do the first day's with a guide.It took me 5 to do the second's.It took me 2 to do the third's before the time-gated feeding.

Everyone does things at a different pace. Some people did it quick enough to already been on Day 2 of the feeding already. We already knew this.

Again, just because you could do it in a certain time even with the restrictions, it doesn't mean everyone does/can.

If you have only one to two hours to spend on the game, in the end, you still won't be able to do it in the time you have specified, thus making the time-gated achievements actually be more rewarding for you because you won't be forced to wait out a whole day to unlock the new achievement collection since you'll be working. Cutting out on your gaming time, if it happens that you complete the collection right after reset, is also beneficial for you overall for obvious reasons that I won't state because they don't need to be said. (To the one I quoted: I don't mean you work (I have no idea if you work or not, I simply used your numbers to demonstrate my point because I saw similar ones higher up, I didn't read the 17 pages of thread, sorry!)

Tldrr (I don't know how to resume briefly lol) Time gating only punishes bingers. Those who say that because they work they can't complete stuff before the reset occurs, you wouldn't be able to take much advantage out of the collections not being time-gated anyways because you don't have much time to play :frown:

Except imagine spending all those days completing it only to be locked out another 24 hours because you missed the reset right before you finished in the 4th day or whatever. It's honestly pointless. The charged quartz at least doesn't eat all your play time but still makes it take a while to earn.

Edit: also, just to add so it's not pointlessly stated again about legendaries taking forever. Yes, they take time to make. I'm aware. I've made 8 of them over the years. Difference? Most don't have a huge time gate that obstructs any further progress. There was always something I could do when playing to continue progress on it, whether that be gathering, doing some metas, or just earning gold from something (SW, fractals, etc.) to help buy what I'm missing.

Just look, the new GS was crafted within hours of the release cause it's not randomly time gated. But people still had to put in effort to earn it.

@DigiQWill.6378 said:

Sorry to cut your thread, woulda been a bit bulky to quote it all here lol. No worries though, I understand that 21 pages can be a lot to take in ^^

The main problem though, is that this isn't just about the 4 daily resets anymore. When info about Collection 3 dropped, it became a whole new beast. Not sure if you've heard about it or not, so here's a summary; the time-gating in Collection 3 on its own will take you a minimum of 4 days if you have the materials on hand or the gold to drop on them, but a maximum of about 22 if you make a Charged Quartz Crystal every day for those 22 days.

That on it's own is a biiiiit steep in some people's opinion already, but then you add the issue of work and timing, and it can extend that even longer. Now, granted, once you complete the rest of the Collections, all that's really left to do is craft the daily CQC, and/or feed 3 of the 12 required food to the Skyscale, and that doesn't take much time. But when you account for people who can't afford to log on every-day, and people who's schedules are very badly timed with the daily reset, those 22 could easily become multiple months.

And again, we still don't know what any of Collections 4 and 5 entail, so for all we know, there could be even more nested time-gates, which would jack that number up even higher.