Something that has been bothering me with the events regarding Nightfall...

Cynder.2509

We know that Elder Dragons and Gods can absorb eachother's magic and enhance their powers by doing so.So how in the world did Kormir actually absorb Abaddon's magic and become a God? I mean she was just a mortal human with no speacialities whatsoever. I know aurene isn't an Elder dragon or a God as well but she was on a whole different level than Kormir. Kormir was not gifted in any way that it could be so easy for her to just become a God and even absorb another God's magic. That would mean the whole theory is mistaken and everyone in Tyria, even a Dolyak, could absorb the magic of dragons and gods and so ascend to be one of them. Also why Kormir, why her and not anyone else who may have fit much more into this role. For example the player character in gw1 has far more capabilities of such role as they already have experience with such matters regarding the whole journey (like the Ascension part in Augury Rock or the part where a Seer infused their armor to defy the Mursaat's Spectral Agony abilities) they had to make in Prophecies in order to face the Lich Lord. So why in the world it had to be Kormir? What made her special and even capable in any way? Would she just burst into none existence by this huge amount of power? How can a mortal even handle this and how do you just become a God within seconds? This seems all so odd to me and when I actually played through the story I was really thrown off by the whole thing like it was all rushed. You don't just absorb powers of a God as a mortal and poof "I'm a God now".I just remembered how odd this part of the story was as I played the latest living world episode and saw how Aurene was instantly brought back to life. It reminded me of how rushed the whole Kormir becoming a God thing was in Nightfall.So I made this discussion in hope to find answers and others who are just as confused as me.

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Gate_of_MadnessWas the guild wars 1 mission where Kormir and PC Talked to the "gods"

Kormir: "Gods, we beseech you. Hear our prayers."PC: "We have come where living men should not be. We have fought armies, crossed wastelands and conquered demons."PC: "Now we are in the heart of Torment. We must destroy Abaddon before he destroys the world. But we cannot battle him alone."Lyssa's Muse: "You are not alone. The gods are always watching."Kormir: "Watching? We need your help. We are only mortals, and we challenge a god."Lyssa's Muse: "There was a time when the gods walked the earth. Every thought and achievement was a gift of the gods."Lyssa's Muse: "But now you must realize that our gifts are within you. Dwayna lives in your compassion, Balthazar in your strength."Lyssa's Muse: "Melandru dwells in your harmony, Grenth in your justice."Lyssa's Muse: "And in your inspiration, Lyssa is there."Lyssa's Muse: "The divinity is within you. And so, we give you our blessing. That should suffice for the task ahead."Lyssa's Muse: "And to you, Kormir, a most special gift."Lyssa's Muse: "This is your world, now. This is your decision. You must make the choice that only a mortal could make."Kormir: "Our decision? They leave us some words of encouragement and expect us to fight a god?"PC: "The gods said we have a choice. A choice that only a mortal could make."Kormir: "Yes. Yes, there is a choice. We can end this. We don't have to be driven by gods and their avatars. Let us go."

Ah, I see. I might have overseen the dialogue as it's not voiced and I couldn't pay attention to the text boxes while manouvering my team and myself through the mission. Quite a shame that you can miss these so easy because you're focused on the mission. And if this was a cutscene I might have forgotten about it already since it's been too long since I played through it. But thanks for the reminder though.But there's still something bothering me about this part. Why Kormir got the blessing? What makes her entitled to this? She does nothing at all the whole time while the PC does all the hard work and... I mean she clearly caused this whole mess back in Fahranur. Which reminds me of something similar that happened later in PoF with Rytlock freeing a rogue God as well and dooming the world. But that's a different story.

@Lumpy Forehead.2193 said:Well think about it the other way, if they can kill a god, the gods aren't so godly after all, they are just humans who can manipulate magic.

In every mythology ever, except arguably the branches of Abrahamic monotheism, gods are not unkillable. They may not age (beyond adulthood), and they control cosmic level forces like weather and elements and reign over afterlives, but they're not unkillable.

The Six Gods (and Elder Dragons) match typical mythological gods in many ways.