Missed opportunity to make a wyvern

I like Wyvern far more. Dragons look like a normal animal with 4 legs just got 2 wings attached to it. Does look weird with its 4 legs when airborn, far too heavy imo.

Wyvern look more natural and it's hard to describe but I think the overal structure of the Wyvern body makes it much more easier to get a good animation for flying.

Obviously we'll never see a wyvern now. The base griffon skeleton that got once more copied is just far too different imo to allow that. And when you consider how a wyvern had to walk on ground and how a griffon does it you realize that there is no way to get a wyvern skin now.

I think it's a shame, especially since the more recent GoT wyverns look so awesome

Anet created the Skyscale as a means of providing a dragon-like mount while at the same time maintaining a somewhat low profile as far as community noise goes.I mean, let's be real. If they'd made a Wyvern, the forums would be a battlezone for the next 3 years over the pronunciation of the name. :D

@The Greyhawk.9107 said:I think they made the better choice, recycled assets not of particular relevance. The pet wyverns have a really awkward running animation, which would only be exacerbated when riding the kitten thing, and I don't think Anet wouldn't been able to fix that.

They didn't the mobs wolf rig to make the Jackal. I don't see why they would re-use the existing wyvern rig to make a mount, they would create a new one, with new animations.

@ROMANG.1903 said:

@The Greyhawk.9107 said:I think they made the better choice, recycled assets not of particular relevance. The pet wyverns have a really awkward running animation, which would only be exacerbated when riding the kitten thing, and I don't think Anet wouldn't been able to fix that.

They didn't the mobs wolf rig to make the Jackal. I don't see why they would re-use the existing wyvern rig to make a mount, they would create a new one, with new animations.

I don't really understand why this is important. I don't see why every new mount type HAS to use new assets, its just not something I'd really notice more than peripherally and I just don't see it as an argument for going with a wyvern instead. Like I said before, I can't see a wyvern mount NOT having an awkward and motion sickness inducing running animation.

@The Greyhawk.9107 said:

I don't really understand why this is important. I don't see why every new mount type HAS to use new assets, its just not something I'd really notice more than peripherally and I just don't see it as an argument for going with a wyvern instead. Like I said before, I can't see a wyvern mount NOT having an awkward and motion sickness inducing running animation.

The only way this could be alleviated is if it flies as you go to move forward, backward, etc, and it lands when you stop.

But still.

I really hate they reused assets for something as important as a mount. It feels cheap and not up to the quality of other gw2 mounts which were meant to be unique.I dont really care if they made it a wyvern or totally different animal, just anything with a new model would have been better than what we got.The skyscale even has the griffins neck collar, feels like lazy design.

@The Greyhawk.9107 said:

As others have said, it's simply about quality. Quality is a sliding scale. Re-cycling an animation rig for something as important, in your face, and visible as a mount is a reduction in game quality (especially when previous mounts did not do so). If you're listening ANet, all I can say is: Reducing the quality of your game stinks, is not enjoyed by players, and will not lead to growth.

@Rukario.1695 said:

The only way this could be alleviated is if it flies as you go to move forward, backward, etc, and it lands when you stop.

But still.

But still? But still what? Using a four legged model, recycled or not, is simply the more logical choice.And to those of you that have done so, calling your detractors dumb, trolls, or blind isn't going to endear anyone to your side of things.

@Kidel.2057 said:The Skyscale has nothing taken from the Griffon. Model, skeleton and animations are unique. Teen Aurene has some recycled Griffon assets

The skyscale's devs confirmed that they were using the griffon's rig and assets.The only unique thing about this mount is its name, skin and abilities.

Personally, I'm quite sad that they were re-using the same rig again.When pof was released, I was astonished by the mounts, which are probably the best and most unique mounts across all mmos.Though, anet has gotten kinda lazy lately, when it comes to creating new mounts.

@The Greyhawk.9107 said:

But still.

But still? But still what? Using a four legged model, recycled or not, is simply the more logical choice.And to those of you that have done so, calling your detractors dumb, trolls, or blind isn't going to endear anyone to your side of things.

But still, it didn't happen. I didn't even say anything about anything else, I was talking about the movement. Chill out.

Just remove front legs - keep wings & backlegs: wyvern. A wyvern mount would probably have better animations as well. Not to mention the wings would have to be larger, wyverns have bat-like anatomy.They gave us a dragon bc it was easier & players constantly called for a dragon skin/ mount. Griffon is still a better mount.

@The Greyhawk.9107 said:Like I said before, I can't see a wyvern mount NOT having an awkward and motion sickness inducing running animation.

Well they managed making a bouncing bunny without giving motion sickness. As for a wyvern, long back legs are your friend, giving a more balanced shape to the creature. Character design, basically.

@LucianDK.8615 said:Rigs gets reused all the time. Remember, birds evolved from dinosaurs.

But a pigeon looks nothing like a T-Rex and you can't just put feathers on the later to obtain the former. We aren't complaining about rigs being re-used in general, we are specificly complaining about rigs being re-used for mounts, which until recently always had their own models, animations, and were absolutely top quality compared to what we're generally used to in MMOs.