Skyscale mount mechanics (not about timegate)

I don't think they need (or have) to make it on par with griffon. They clearly stated that griffon will always be faster.

In my opinion they need to make the grab mechanic less tedious by either add a button dedicated to descent/dive (as you suggested), even if not fast, or by making the grab not automatic on W.

And they should add a third dash for a bit of horizontal speed.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Kidel.2057 said:I agree. In my opinion the skyscale is too weak in horizontal movement to be in any way better compared to a springer (or springer+griffon).

Also I find odd that it auto sticks to wall if you press forward (that is also the only button to go down if you're close to a step).

Also if you're very close to the top of a cliff, the skyscale just sticks to it instead of going above.

It should have 3 dashes and a different key to stick to walls.

You do know you can use the 1 skill to go down right?

@Linken.6345 said:

@Kidel.2057 said:I agree. In my opinion the skyscale is too weak in horizontal movement to be in any way better compared to a springer (or springer+griffon).

Also I find odd that it auto sticks to wall if you press forward (that is also the only button to go down if you're close to a step).

Also if you're very close to the top of a cliff, the skyscale just sticks to it instead of going above.

It should have 3 dashes and a different key to stick to walls.

You do know you can use the 1 skill to go down right?

For the third time, not when you're close to the landing spot. If you do it while at minimum height (and it's exactly the use case I'm describing) your mount does the engage and you fall of the small ledge.

Dude, I'm pretty sure everyone and their mother used the springer to climb mountains, so you know what I'm talking about. Currently you can't do that with the Skyscale because of auto-grab.

And what's worse is that if you manage to get near the end of the cliff by using dashes and skill 7, you may even auto-grab in mid air, and if you press S you start going down.

I have really only 3 suggestions to make it better:

1. Increase the maximum height. 20-33% I'd say would be good. Kind of too many times in the Dragonfall map I've just and just missed the ledge, and because of the wall clinging, I can't even get up there and have to find somewhere lower first to get back up.

2. Flying forward without flight meter left won't make you lose altitude. You basically stay in the same altitude.

3. If neither of those can be worked, make it that you can spiral a bit upwards/downwards from the dodge, allowing extra height and allowing maybe like a little boost forward from going downwards (at the expense on that you can't gain more stamina while being higher than normally, indicated by the red bar coming from right)

There, you have a niche mount which can get access to some spots where Griffon can't without breaking things completely.

Of course we shall see still once we get access to masteries though. I for one am interested to see how Skyscale's flight meter is affected by Bond of Faith (Will the flight meter restore if you dismount from skyscale with bond of faith then get back onto skyscale? Because if so then technically you can break the map completely by just waiting for the bond of faith go off of cooldown)

The final mastery doesn't solve the grab issue, it just delays it to the second grab. So it may be useful for the cliff edge problem, but not for small ledges in a long climb.

The fact that you can only go down using engage is stupid. That should be a side effect of doing engage in midair, not a main movement feature.

@"Kidel.2057" said:At this point we are aware that this is almost a legendary mount, requiring all episodes, 250 collection steps, lots of gold and at least 8 days (excluding the last 2 steps that we still don't know about). Fine.

The problem is that the mount is mostly a vanity item for chilling afk in LA, not a real useful mount.

It's almost legendary the way you obtain it, but it's not legendary at all to use. It's not fun as the Griffon or the roller, and not as good as the springer. It has really no use outside of vanity.

In this thread I'd like to gather some useful suggestions on how to improve the mount in a realistic way, without making it gamebreaking or invalidating the griffon completely.

A nice Idea would be to increase the number of dashes to 3, so that is at least decently fast, and rework the wall sticking part so that it doesn't feel so painful.

Using the rental Skyscale, sometimes I can't even emulate the Springer, since the Skyscale doesn't "fall" on small steps on the walls, instead it sticks to it, unable to go higher. The mastery doesn't really solve that.

A solution could be to bind the wall sticking mechanism to an actual button press instead of "forward".

Any better idea?

Legendaries are also mostly vanity items. Before the stat swap and rune/sigil swap people only crafted them for their appearance. The skyscale is by no mean useless anyway, you just have to get used to it. I've used it quite a bit during the Dragonfall meta for all the high pylons, and it does make navigation a bit easier in certain portions of the map. This btw is with a limited version of the skyscale. One that you cannot mount wherever you want and do not have the masteries for.

Maybe it will end up not being as useful as other mounts after people unlock it and get the masteries, but I think that judgement should be withheld for then. All the mounts we got so far have been pretty bad without the masteries. Also, being unable to mount the skyscale wherever you want really limits its potential, as you cannot combo it with other mounts. Even if it does turn out to not be very good, the ability to constantly hover over an area will surely be huge QoL for anyone looking to afk in an area with enemies.

@Kidel.2057 said:The final mastery doesn't solve the grab issue, it just delays it to the second grab. So it may be useful for the cliff edge problem, but not for small ledges in a long climb.

The fact that you can only go down using engage is stupid. That should be a side effect of doing engage in midair, not a main movement feature.

You can also press c to descend.

@Ganathar.4956 said:

@Kidel.2057 said:The final mastery doesn't solve the grab issue, it just delays it to the second grab. So it may be useful for the cliff edge problem, but not for small ledges in a long climb.

Maybe I have a different keybind. What do you have associated to C?

@Kidel.2057 said:

Mount ability 2

@Ganathar.4956 said:

Mount ability 2

I can't open the game now (I'm at the airport), so just to be clear, you're not talking about the dash, right?

I'll make sure to give it a try later.

@Kidel.2057 said:

Mount ability 2

I can't open the game now (I'm at the airport), so just to be clear, you're not talking about the dash, right?

No. Mount ability 2 is a keybind for the 2nd ability of a mount. Not all mounts have second abilities. When used with the griffon, you can swoop downwards like with the engage skill, but when you hit the ground you will not dismount.

Edit: I made a small mistake. On griffon, ability 1 is dive, while ability 2 is to ascend. Using ability 2 to ascend instead of the down button is better, because you won't start lowering yourself when you reach max height. On the skyscale ability 1 is the dash, while ability 2 is descend.

More helpful than the whole skyscale stream. Thanks, I'll give it a try asap and update my feedback.

Still it doesn't solve the grab with half body on the cliff edge, nor the general low usefulness compared to the huge collection.

@Ganathar.4956 said:

Mount ability 2

No. Mount ability 2 is a keybind for the 2nd ability of a mount. Not all mounts have second abilities.
When used with the griffon, you can swoop downwards like with the engage skill, but when you hit the ground you will not dismount.

Edit: I made a small mistake. On griffon, ability 1 is dive, while ability 2 is to ascend. Using ability 2 to ascend instead of the down button is better, because you won't start lowering yourself when you reach max height. On the skyscale ability 1 is the dash, while ability 2 is descend.

About your edit, Anet should probably make this a bit more regular. Or at least show the actions with some UI elements.

+1 from me.I agree, the mount badly needs some tweaking to make it more useful, especially as obtaining it takes a while, it is practically a legendary mount and it deserves to shine in its own specific way.Adding 3 'dashes' would've been perfect, as well as allowing it to regenerate green bar while being clung to the wall. I really don't understand why it doesn't already regenerate it passively when clinging to the cliff. It's really horrible when you can't get up anymore and just have to drop all the way down to regenerate.

People who don't even know the basic controls talking about how bad the mount is... Smh

I will take SS over Springer any day. And will be Superior to Griffin except for low jumps, and distance flying/gliding. Even then it has to be pretty big distance or trying to achieve a lot of air because barrel roll dash and dipping speeds to movement and distance greatly on SS.

In those cases will likely climb on SS and then swap to Griffon. The things I normally use Griffon for now will be replaced with skyscale, since I rarely have the chance to whiz across a whole map with Griffon.

@navystylz.9745 said:People who don't even know the basic controls talking about how bad the mount is... Smh

I will take SS over Springer any day. And will be Superior to Griffin except for low jumps, and distance flying/gliding. Even then it has to be pretty big distance or trying to achieve a lot of air because barrel roll dash and dipping speeds to movement and distance greatly on SS.

In those cases will likely climb on SS and then swap to Griffon. The things I normally use Griffon for now will be replaced with skyscale, since I rarely have the chance to whiz across a whole map with Griffon.

The weird and counter-intuitive mount action only solves 1 minor issue (and I'm still not sure about it if you have to press S).

Everything else you said is demonstrably false or just your own personal preference.

@Kidel.2057 said:

@"navystylz.9745" said:People who don't even know the basic controls talking about how bad the mount is... Smh

The weird and counter-intuitive mount action only solves 1 minor issue (and I'm still not sure about it if you have to press S).

Everything else you said is demonstrably false or just your own personal preference.

You misspelled "opinion".

@Kidel.2057 said:This whole thread is about opinions, in case you didn't notice. I don't see a problem in that.

That's how feedback works, usually. You're not forced to comment.

I meant you confused demonstrably false with your opinion it's false.

And I guess intuitive means something different to each person, as I haven't had the missing the top of a landing issue after messing around with ability 1. It shoots you past your normal stopping point might mean it gets you over those spots people might just miss.

They both are good at their area. I don't think one is better than the other. And SS certainly isn't bad as people are saying Especially once masteries are available. As someone who is generally on Griffon using it to jump, short glide and clear gaps even though it's slower than raptor, I can easily say for what I mostly use Griffon for now SS will replace. And now will only take out Griffon for distance and speed. Though I wouldn't mind any buffs to SS as it would only make it better and who would turn down 'better.'

Let's see.1) Skyscale is worse than Griffon in horizontal movement.2) Skyscale is slower than Springer in vertical movement.3) Skyscale is less tolerant with small ledges, diagonal surfaces and cliff edges compared to Springer. It often grabs diagonal surfaces.4) Skyscale is by design a lowerbound compared to Springer in terms of vertical movement. It still requires ledges to gain altitute, even with the masteries, and it's less tolerant to them.5) Skyscale is by design (see Springer buff) slower compared to Springer and Griffon, and it's also conceived as an easy option to climb, while Springer is faster but harder. Implying Skyscale is, by design, less fun to use compared to its 2 counterparts.6) If you don't need much vertical movement you're going to prefer Griffon or Jackal/Skimmer/RB. If you need vertical movement you're going to prefer the Springer every day.

Yes, I'd say it's demonstrably worse under multiple points of view, and this statement can be strengthened by multiple quotes in the last Guild Chat.

The fact that you're still going to use it if you're not in a hurry, or to show off, or for fun/variety, is not enough to justify the effort. That last part is, in case I need to specify, my personal opinion.

And I'll clarify.

It's like that by design and I agreed with it because I thought they were going to give it away like the RB.

Since it has this huge collection (and I'm fine with it) make it useful, make it at least better than a free Springer.

After all we already have RB that replaced Raptor (and I'd say, even Jackal, that was already better than Raptor on most terrains), what's the problem with replacing easy mounts? It's progression.

I bet 99% of players would be fine if a flying dragon replaced a jumping rabbit.

You still need the Springer to get the Skyscale, what's bad about a straight upgrade?

Griffon replaced gliding (99% of the time)Jackal/RB replaced Raptor.

Why can't the Skyscale replace the Springer? I don't get this special pleading. Nobody cared about the raptor when the Jackal was designed.

If you want you can even remove the Griffon from the equation and safely say that Springer+gliding is enough to replace the Skyscale entirely.

@"Kidel.2057" said:After all we already have RB that replaced Raptor (and I'd say, even Jackal, that was already better than Raptor on most terrains), what's the problem with replacing easy mounts? It's progression.Definitely not - RB is advantageous if it's a long ride through relatively uniform terrain, anywhere else (probably most cases) Raptor is the better choice. Jackal doesn't have as much jump-range (without losing altitude) as the Raptor and the engage skill is tactically different so, again, definitely not "better."The problem with replacing mounts is that this mount system doesn't seem to have been designed with "progression" in mind - rather each mount fills a niche (however fun or "useful" will always remain highly subjective) but these niches objectively don't supersede one another. The design idea was the exact opposite: to keep all mounts relevant and irreplaceable.Griffon replaced gliding (99% of the time)For one, you can't griffon-out in combat but you can glide out of it - and go into stealth right away. How often you do it or how important it is to you doesn't ensure a (generalized) 99:1 ratio.