Daredevil Build Ideas for SPVP

Crab Fear.1624

This is always been the problem with the Thief. Not only it is trading damage for survivability, it is also trading armor for health. 2800 armor still nothing since 11k is just 2-3 hits or 1 hit from 3 sources.

Looking at my Necro/Scourge, I can get 3k armor with 20k health and 1500 condition damage.

How exactly a Thief can compete against that?

It's just sad that the Dev refused to address this. /smh

@Sir Vincent III.1286 said:This is always been the problem with the Thief. Not only it is trading damage for survivability, it is also trading armor for health. 2800 armor still nothing since 11k is just 2-3 hits or 1 hit from 3 sources.

Looking at my Necro/Scourge, I can get 3k armor with 20k health and 1500 condition damage.

Give the build a shot in SPVP, I don't know how it fairs in other modes.

Unless you let them hit you with every big skill, it takes more than 2-3 hits

@Crab Fear.1624 said:

@Sir Vincent III.1286 said:This is always been the problem with the Thief. Not only it is trading damage for survivability, it is also trading armor for health. 2800 armor still nothing since 11k is just 2-3 hits or 1 hit from 3 sources.

I run full maurader and 3 succesdfull hits from holo,gaurd,sb or warrior are death regardless what they are and the sustain buffs added to DD line do nothing and on top of that u have to hit ur target 3 times more than they hit u all while having a way less forgiving playstyle. Rogue character should be fragile fast and hit hard,their like that in every game and always create salt but that's how the class is supposed to be but over the yrs the balance team caved to whiners and now it's a fast,low sustain class that on average skills/auto's do less damage than higher sustain classes lmao it's a joke!

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

I run full maurader and 3 succesdfull hits from holo,gaurd,sb or warrior are death regardless what they are and the sustain buffs added to DD line do nothing and on top of that u have to hit ur target 3 times more than they hit u all while having a way less forgiving playstyle. Rogue character should be fragile fast and hit hard,their like that in every game and always create salt but that's how the class is supposed to be but over the yrs the balance team caved to whiners and now it's a fast,low sustain class that on average skills/auto's do less damage than higher sustain classes lmao it's a joke!

In this build I am running demolisher and fighter. You can watch Noody play with a similar concept and he found success. He explains it better than I can. But if you know how to dodge the buig hit skills with large coefficients, you dont die in 3 hits

@Crab Fear.1624 said:

@"Sir Vincent III.1286" said:This is always been the problem with the Thief. Not only it is trading damage for survivability, it is also trading armor for health. 2800 armor still nothing since 11k is just 2-3 hits or 1 hit from 3 sources.

I play both Thief and Necro. The big difference is, while I mitigate damage as a Necro, I'm also dealing damage at the same time. As a power Thief, I either mitigate damage (dodging and stealth stops you from attacking) or deal damage (zero mitigation), I can never do both.

My Reaper Necro has 2300 power, 2.1k armor and almost 30k health plus this build has 100% crit chance. My toughness just keeps getting better over time (corrupter's fervor) so I can take Maruader without worrying about my armor. With 10 stacks of Fervor, that's +300 toughness and -20% condition damage. That is my passive mitigation while hitting with 100% crit chance. Yes Reapers are slow and you can sure run away, but you're not going to bring this down and it gets even better in team fights.

This DD change is a joke if they really believe that the Theif can compete in melee range against a Reaper, Holo, Scrapper, and Mirage.

I'm not raining on your parade, it's just that it' not a fair game mode for the Thief especially when the Thief can't even decap while in stealth, which is the only traitline that gives passive damage mitigation (resilience of shadows).

In addition, the short range of steal only hasten the Thief's death. The whole point of shadow step having 1200 range is to reinforce the "get in, then get out" play style of the Thief profession. Now they are forcing the Daredevil to compete in melee range where the Thief don't belong.

@Sir Vincent III.1286 said:

I play both Thief and Necro. The big difference is, while I mitigate damage as a Necro, I'm also dealing damage at the same time. As a power Thief, I either mitigate damage (dodging and stealth stops you from attacking) or deal damage (zero mitigation), I can never do both.

My Reaper Necro has 2300 power, 2.1k armor and almost 30k health plus this build has 100% crit chance. My toughness just keeps getting better over time (corrupter's fervor) so I can take Maruader without worrying about my armor. With 10 stacks of Fervor, that's +300 toughness and -20% condition damage. That is my passive mitigation while hitting with 100% crit chance. Yes Reapers are slow and you can sure run away, but you're not going to bring this down and it gets even better in team fights.

This DD change is a joke if they really believe that the Theif can compete in melee range against a Reaper, Holo, Scrapper, and Mirage.

I'm not raining on your parade, it's just that it' not a fair game mode for the Thief especially when the Thief can't even decap while in stealth, which is the only traitline that gives passive damage mitigation (resilience of shadows).

In addition, the short range of steal only hasten the Thief's death. The whole point of shadow step having 1200 range is to reinforce the "get in, then get out" play style of the Thief profession. Now they are forcing the Daredevil to compete in melee range where the Thief don't belong.

Since the devs wont respond to us, let us thieves brainstorm and see if we can make folks cry again. There is always a way,

@Crab Fear.1624 said:

Since the devs wont respond to us, let us thieves brainstorm and see if we can make folks cry again. There is always a way,

Folks will cry as long as the Thief exist and due to that crying the Thief gets a lot nerfs.

I have tried to make the 11k HP builds work numerous, countless times. It didn't work in past metas and it sure as hell not gonna work in the current one, maybe I am just bad though.I kind of liked using Demolisher + Marauder's Resilience + Rune of the Warrior to have the Demo toughness + ferocity while somewhat compensating for the HP, cca 16,3k HP with the ammy.

• 3 weeks later...

@"Crab Fear.1624" said:The Duellist

You can swap out the shortbow with sword/pistol and swap out the sig of agility with shadowstep if you prefer.

Use your dodges, built in evades, and blinds to avoid the big hits. Hack away with autos and 2. spin to win when in trouble or in a large group before dashing away to refill your health.

Treat the signet of malice like healing signet, use as last resort.

You might not be able to 1 v x+, but with a little skill you got some good matchups in 1 v 1s, at least from my experience and level of play.

Edit: You can NOT drop invigorating precision, it is essential, same goes for escapist fortitude.

Why Signet of Malice over...well, literally any other heal? IIRC you really only get good value from it on multi-hit strikes, and for DrD that's staff AA 3 and staff#2, neither of which your opponent is going to make it easy to land any number of hits with.

@Curennos.9307 said:

@"Crab Fear.1624" said:

You can swap out the shortbow with sword/pistol and swap out the sig of agility with shadowstep if you prefer.

Use your dodges, built in evades, and blinds to avoid the big hits. Hack away with autos and 2. spin to win when in trouble or in a large group before dashing away to refill your health.

You might not be able to 1 v x+, but with a little skill you got some good matchups in 1 v 1s, at least from my experience and level of play.

Edit: You can NOT drop invigorating precision, it is essential, same goes for escapist fortitude.

Why Signet of Malice over...well, literally any other heal? IIRC you really only get good value from it on multi-hit strikes, and for DrD that's staff AA 3 and staff#2, neither of which your opponent is going to make it easy to land any number of hits with.

Its only 1k less than withdraw. but when the hits add up, especially in a daggerstorm or large group you can quickly gain thousands of health. Even refill your health without burning it.

Also, I don't make it easy to hit me either.

here are some where it will really add up:

• Daggerstorm
  • Groups
  • When the hits land on autos and staff 2.
  • vault or bound into a group
  • peeling out with shortbow 2 clusters bursts into group on on target with flip skill.

Also, I test this build many times against many foe types.

Remember when we had some dueling fun in the capricorn? I was using the miracle rogue variant above.

Pick the soulbeast thief spec hidden under the ranger class name,switch out SB for lb and have far better range,dps and utility. Swap staff for the two handed great sword like weapon and have better skills and utility with a decent block and lastly pick from a array of far better utility skills and BAM instant better DD build. Ur welcome.

@Crab Fear.1624 said:

Its only 1k less than withdraw. but when the hits add up, especially in a daggerstorm or large group you can quickly gain thousands of health. Even refill your health without burning it.

Also, I don't make it easy to hit me either.

here are some where it will really add up:
  • Daggerstorm
  • Groups
  • When the hits land on autos and staff 2.
  • vault or bound into a group
  • peeling out with shortbow 2 clusters bursts into group on on target with flip skill.

Also, I test this build many times against many foe types.

Remember when we had some dueling fun in the capricorn? I was using the miracle rogue variant above.

Lol, point taken. I'll give it a shot sometime, tho don't think I'll be able to lose Withdraw - the immob/other cleanses save me too many times.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQNAW8Yn0MBFmilOB+OB0PhlriaO6r+uv7mmuAwbDygPA-jpg9AAQZgf/BA

i've been toying around with this lately. Not as much rotational power as shortbow (I mean, does anything?), but it's nice being able to engage with sword and blow Swipe, dodge something -> Larc strike, then switch into staff for a little more staying power. If things go south, it's easy to switch back to sword and disengage (the return teleport thingy lasts quite a while).

Equilibrium really helps me make life hell for those block heavy classes. I've even started seeing some shield chronos again. And ofc it's nice to be able to go 'lolnope' to blocking warrs, revs, holos.

Vault is still a not-godawful replacement for SB#5, but comes with its own issues. Shadowstep isnice for the cleanse and/or decap - I like to use it to teleport to the node, then return once the decap is done. Probably a terrible habit, but eh.

I'm still messing around with the amulet and potentially Daredevil runes to see if I can justify running Valk ammy, we'll see.

High skill cap class that has more dodges than 90% other classes that's how shear reaction speed as anything else.

@pureskullz.7536 said:

High skill cap class that has more dodges than 90% other classes that's how shear reaction speed as anything else.

Just as thief had better mobility other classes have more blocks invulnerability etc ontop of thier better hp and toughness.Now they just gotta buff thiefs dps to match its sustain as they clearly cant stay in fights long and have to end fights fast or run away before they get 2-3 shot.

There are no "new" ideas.

Forget it about it.

Anet has designed every version of thief be it Thief, Daredevil, or Deadeye in SPvP for two task: decapping and plus one.

If you deviate from this you won't see much success against players with even a hint of tactical skill.

This means all 3 flavors of this class DO THE EXACT SAME THING.....

SO exciting.....

Nothing changed about the Daredevil makes it brawler worthy.

Soulbeast is better sniper than DE.

Anyone can decap.

Thief has shortbow.

Stay core, and wait until they nerf that and daggerstorm.

@"pureskullz.7536" said:High skill cap class that has more dodges than 90% other classes that's how shear reaction speed as anything else.

Never enough dodges. Thieves just need to be able to chain-dodge like Ninja Gaiden.

@"Crab Fear.1624" said:There are no "new" ideas.

Forget it about it.

Anet has designed every version of thief be it Thief, Daredevil, or Deadeye in SPvP for two task: decapping and plus one.

If you deviate from this you won't see much success against players with even a hint of tactical skill.

Sad, but true. Another sad thing is that when anyone suggests anything that changes the Thief at all, other players jump all over them for one reason or another... especially other Thief players. This place can be quite toxic. So we end up with even worse versions of the Thief than before.