Can I get a brief overview of the Skyscale collection, please?

There's a lot of guides out there for the various (known) parts of the skyscale collection, but it's an awful lot of information and it's a bit overwhelming all at once. So, I turn to you all with a small request.

Can someone list what parts are done each day, and in what order? And maybe add in a note of anything (like charged quartz, apparently) that I need to start saving up for a part? That way I and anyone else reading this can get a jump on gathering what we can, know what guide to go looking for next, and know how much we want to get done before the next reset.

Thank you.

No time restriction/can do all in one day if desired:

• Part 1: Collect 21 scales scattered around the map (Dragonfall)
  • Part 2: Do 10 events in each lane to open up the volatile magic vendor for that lane, and buy the item that's used to create medicine for the sick skyscalesAchievement names to track progress:Cutting WeedsLife in the UnderworldPutting out Fires
  • Part 3: Find all the sick skyscales and give them the medicine
  • Part 4: Find all 21 Skyscale eggs scattered around the map (Dragonfall)

Wait until next reset

• Part 5: Saving Skyscales (not 100% sure what this is yet as I have just gotten to this part - but it seems to be something about going from various places to get things for the eggs)

Wait until next reset

• Part 6: Raising Skyscales (Not 100% sure on this part either but here's some of it from what I can see:

Giving the Skyscales a treat:You collect treats from mob drops around the PoF maps(?).

Playing with the Skyscales:Purchase toys from various vendors.You'll also need a Grow Lamp which is an additional 10 charged quartz, though it can also be purchased on the TP

Feed the SkyscalesMake food by Combining 25 Bloodstone Dust, 5 Globs of Ectoplasm, 2 Slabs of Red Meat, and 1 Charged Quartz Crystal to make the Skyscale Food. You'll need 12 of these — you can buy from the TP or get the total 300 Bloodstone, 60 Ecto, 24 Red Meat, and 12 Charged Quartz.You can only feed them 3 times per day - so you'll need an additional 4 days to complete this part.

Continue feeding them for 4 days, then wait until next reset...The rest is unknown still

(Edited for formatting)

So Day 2 info all compiled and organized...INFO: Gorrick is no longer in the usual cove. Instead, he's at [&BJMLAAA=] inside an instance called Sun's Refuge. From here on out he will always be here.Every part of the quest has icons to show you where the thing is at, like this: https://i.imgur.com/qe5FHh6.jpg

Start: The Blood and Life first steps must be completed to acquire the buffs to get credit for kills/revives. Pick those up from Dragonfall and Divinity's Reach first. After that, I recommend picking up the first step on all maps.After that, they can be completed in any order.

All first steps:The Nature of Blood: Dragonfall (x1) [&BN4LAAA=] General AlmorraThe Nature of Life: Divinity's Reach (x1) [&BCMDAAA= ] Priestess of DwaynaThe Nature of Growth: The Grove (x1) [&BLoEAAA=] Teacher. Omphalos ChamberThe Nature of Spirit: Brisban Wildlands (x1) : [&BHUAAAA=] Amaranda the Lonesome. Venlin Vale, Brisban (https://i.imgur.com/mt7ZrEY.jpg)Courage in the face of death: Straights of Devastation (x1) [&BO4CAAA=] (no NPC)The Nature of Fear: Lornar's Pass (x1) [&BOYAAAA=] OrsonThe Nature of Ice: Frostgorge Sound [&BIUCAAA=] Frigid PawThe nature of Air, Fire, Water, and Earth: Domain of Vabbi (x5) [&BHQKAAA=] Zagonur cliffs in Vabbi. https://i.imgur.com/seuWglT.jpg

The following assumes you have done the first step of each before continuing:Skyscale of FearGet hit by a brandstorm (Domain of Vabbi, Jahai Bluffs, Dragonfall, etc)Teach a class at Vehtendi Academy [&BA8KAAA=] in Domain of Vabbi (requires this event (https://is.gd/o99aKo)Get attacked by chickens at Ebonhawke in Fields of Ruin [&BD0EAAA=] ((https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Angry_Chicken))Blazeridge Steppes (the walls south of Lowland Burns Waypoint where the Shatterer event is, up the wall. Requires springer.) [&BE4DAAA=]

Skyscale of WaterNtouka Pond in Domain of Kourna, all the way at the bottom [&BEwLAAA=]Flooded Castavall in Bloodtide Coast [&BK4BAAA=]Derelict Delve in Desert Highlands (requires completion of Rune-Locked Doors achievement) [&BNkKAAA=] (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Rune-Locked_Doors)

Skyscale of FireBlack CitadelMount MaelstromHearth in Domain of VabbiDerelict Cave in Desert Highlands

Skyscale of IceDerelict Delve in Desert HighlandsThunderhead PeaksBiterfrost Frontier elementals or Claw of Jormag Event

Skyscale of EarthQuicksand in Crystal OasisQuicksand in Dry TopQuicksand in Elon RiverlandsQuicksand in Domain of Vabbi (one next to Necropolis)

Skyscale of AirGet knocked down by a Dust Mite Twister (Dry Top or North East Domain of Kourna)Hidden Garden jumping puzzle in Mount Maelstrom (Access it through one of these events: Hidden Garden Keepers)Brand Tornado in Jahai Bluffs

Skyscale of LifeRevive +3 alliesRevive +6 alliesRevive +9 allies (Recommended in Thaumanova Reactor at Metrica Province)

Skyscale of BloodKill +25 enemiesKill +50 enemiesKill +75 enemies

Skyscale of GrowthBrightwater Inlet of Desert HighlandsNecropolis of Domain of VabbiElon Flow in Elon RiverlandsBonestrand in Desolation

Skyscale of DeathExile's Rest in Elon RiverlandsBone Palace in DesolationTomb of Primeval Kings in Desert HighlandsChampion's Dawn in Domain of Istan

Skyscale of SpiritCentral Brand Scar in Jahai Bluffs, where the fake joko event happensAncestor Tree at Ruined Procession in Jahai BluffsTarai Ossa shrine at Deadlock Sweep in Elon RiverlandsProphet's Fall in Desert Highlands

Skyscale of CourageCamp Resolve in Silverwastes - East of the waypoint in the little hub thing.Joko's Sky Garden in Domain of VabbiPact Command in Dragonfall - On the airship.Defeat your doppelganger at Augury Rock in Elon Riverlands (event: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Path_to_Ascension)

This is insane. There is way too much run up to thing and press F; that isn't fun gameplay and it doesn't become more fun the 20th time you do it. Combat is the best part of this game, the achievements should be about us doing more of that. This also seems overly complicated and the UI does not make it clear how much goes into this. Thanks a ton for writing it all out though Sila. Good to know.

@Alex.4982 said:This is insane. There is way too much run up to thing and press F; that isn't fun gameplay and it doesn't become more fun the 20th time you do it. Combat is the best part of this game, the achievements should be about us doing more of that. This also seems overly complicated and the UI does not make it clear how much goes into this. Thanks a ton for writing it all out though Sila. Good to know.

Maybe I'm just the oddball out, I'm enjoying the whole thing so far. I'm not rushing it, taking it a little at a time, exploring along the way. Doing some achievements here and there that I might've forgotten about in the past, picking up extra POIs/mastery points, etc. I find the game is more enjoyable if you just make it fun and get progress done along the way rather than grinding it out.

Re: The Skyscale of Life, you get the instructions from the Priestess of Dwayna in Divinity's Reach, and as of last night, what everyone seemed to be doing -- and which I most certainly joined in on because everything else is taking so long -- is throwing themselves off the nearest parapet to their death, where other players below rez them. You can finish the whole Skyscale of Life in a few minutes. It's really funny to hear all the death screams at once. This parapet is literally only a few steps away from the Priestess. Hope that helps some others!

@Witch of Doom.5739 said:Re: The Skyscale of Life, you get the instructions from the Priestess of Dwayna in Divinity's Reach, and as of last night, what everyone seemed to be doing -- and which I most certainly joined in on because everything else is taking so long -- is throwing themselves off the nearest parapet to their death, where other players below rez them. You can finish the whole Skyscale of Life in a few minutes. It's really funny to hear all the death screams at once. This parapet is literally only a few steps away from the Priestess. Hope that helps some others!

That's hilarious, but not really necessary. There are plenty of people to rez at bounties, events and boss fights. When I was a few short after everything else was done, I just went and did the current world boss--did many more rezzes than I needed. (Thanks, Tequatl!) Rezzing NPCs works, too, and there are downed NPCs on just about every map. In the northwest of Brisban Wildlands, there's a whole field of NPCs that need rezzing.

@"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:

@Witch of Doom.5739 said:Re: The Skyscale of Life, you get the instructions from the Priestess of Dwayna in Divinity's Reach, and as of last night, what everyone seemed to be doing -- and which I most certainly joined in on because everything else is taking so long -- is throwing themselves off the nearest parapet to their death, where other players below rez them. You can finish the whole Skyscale of Life in a few minutes. It's really funny to hear all the death screams at once. This parapet is literally only a few steps away from the Priestess. Hope that helps some others!

That's hilarious, but not really necessary. There are plenty of people to rez at bounties, events and boss fights. When I was a few short after everything else was done, I just went and did the current world boss--did many more rezzes than I needed. (Thanks, Tequatl!) Rezzing NPCs works, too, and there are downed NPCs on just about every map. In the northwest of Brisban Wildlands, there's a whole field of NPCs that need rezzing.

Oh, I know it's not necessary, but it sure was funny!

@"Witch of Doom.5739" said:Re: The Skyscale of Life, you get the instructions from the Priestess of Dwayna in Divinity's Reach, and as of last night, what everyone seemed to be doing -- and which I most certainly joined in on because everything else is taking so long -- is throwing themselves off the nearest parapet to their death, where other players below rez them. You can finish the whole Skyscale of Life in a few minutes. It's really funny to hear all the death screams at once. This parapet is literally only a few steps away from the Priestess. Hope that helps some others!

Yeah, I did that this (EU) morning. Once I had my required rezzes, I continued jumping to help out other people, and took a moment to answer a rather confused level 10 who wanted to know why people were flinging themselves to their deaths repeatedly. One person pointed out that it brought "I'd risk my life to help you' to a whole new level. =)

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:

@"Witch of Doom.5739" said:Re: The Skyscale of Life, you get the instructions from the Priestess of Dwayna in Divinity's Reach, and as of last night, what everyone seemed to be doing -- and which I most certainly joined in on because everything else is taking so long -- is throwing themselves off the nearest parapet to their death, where other players below rez them. You can finish the whole Skyscale of Life in a few minutes. It's really funny to hear all the death screams at once. This parapet is literally only a few steps away from the Priestess. Hope that helps some others!

Yeah, I did that this (EU) morning. Once I had my required rezzes, I continued jumping to help out other people, and took a moment to answer a rather confused level 10 who wanted to know why people were flinging themselves to their deaths repeatedly. One person pointed out that it brought "I'd risk my life to help you' to a whole new level. =)

TD meta was all I needed for the rezes.

@Sila.6748 said:Maybe I'm just the oddball out, I'm enjoying the whole thing so far...

No you're not the oddball out, I imagine a lot of people are enjoying it and it's good for me and others to hear that perspective. It was late and I had just finished what I thought was a lot of the collection only to find out I hadn't even really made a dent. It took the wind out of my sails and I was admittedly frustrated, but I don't mean to rain on you or anyone else's parade, and I'm sorry if I did at all.

@Alex.4982 said:

@"Sila.6748" said:Maybe I'm just the oddball out, I'm enjoying the whole thing so far...

No you're not the oddball out, I imagine a lot of people are enjoying it and it's good for me and others to hear that perspective. It was late and I had just finished what I thought was a lot of the collection only to find out I hadn't even really made a dent. It took the wind out of my sails and I was admittedly frustrated, but I don't mean to rain on you or anyone else's parade, and I'm sorry if I did at all.

Nah you're fine :) I have heard a ton of negativity around reddit and the forums about the timegating and the duration of the quest etc. I can understand the frustration with the timegate- I think it would've been better to shift the time gate over to the 1st and 2nd day collections and split those in half rather than time gate the food. It took me 4 days anyway, but I was also doing other stuff along the way, stopping for bounties or events, stopping to write or take pictures for other people etc. I spent two days to do the first 3 collections, then another two days to do the second part. (The one I just detailed above).

But I think the whole quest is really fun, and making me laugh because I can just picture Gorrik coming up with all these crazy ideas that just might work - after all, we're trying to grow a dragon. So we're taking this egg through all of these different places and doing all these things for it, including but not limited to sacrificing ourselves to fire, ice, drowning ourselves underwater and quicksand, being swept away by dust devils and branded tornadoes, struck by branded lightning... Challenging our own fears by facing heights and all kinds of things.

Some of the pics I had fun taking...v11aLwh.jpgEIM88m3.jpgAtvAIgu.jpgj0ANZWf.jpg

Day 3-7Skyscale CareFood:Combine 25 Bloodstone Dust, 5 Globs of Ectoplasm, 2 Slabs of Red Meat, and 1 Charged Quartz Crystal to make 1 Skyscale Food.You'll need 12 of these — you can buy from the TP or get the total 300 Bloodstone, 60 Ecto, 24 Red Meat, and 12 Charged Quartz.

Take the food to Sun's Refuge to feed the hatchling. Feed the hatchling 3 times. (3/12). Takes 4 days. Progress is tracked as an event bar while inside Sunspear's Refuge.TIP: Stand back a few inches away from the hatchling and your skills bar will turn to an action bar where you can feed, play with, or give treats to the hatchling.

TreatsKill any of these creatures for a chance (not guaranteed, but around 20%) drop. Champion versions have higher drop rates. Acquire the treat then return it to Sun's Refuge. Treats do NOT have a daily limit. Spoil that thing rotten on the first day if you want to.You can get most of these in Desert Highlands. You might have better luck in other maps though.

Karka - Southsun CoveSand Lion - Desert Highlands (Also crystal oasis - https://i.imgur.com/gmJK07Q.jpg )Iboga - Desert HighlandsDesert Insects (Scarabs) - Desert HighlandsJacaranda - Desert Highlands Note: Up on the cliffsSand Eels - Desert Highlands | Crystal OasisRock Gazelles - Desert HighlandsSand Sharks - Desert Highlands | Crystal OasisBats - My preference: Ascalon ([&BIUBAAA=])Skale - Desert HighlandsSkelk - Desert HighlandsSpiders - Desert Highlands\ Dwarven RuinsMinotaur - Desert Highlands (Highland Jump - west of)Wyvern - Elon Riverlands | Note: If you have HoT, just do Matriarch in VB or find the Wyvern Cliffs. There might be more in Elon but they're a pain to get to.

Skyscale ToysBuy these items then return to Sun's Refuge:Hardy Ball - 1 Gold, bottom-ish level of Vehtendi Academy. Look for the collection icon on the map.Bird Whistle - 2 Gold, just across the bridge of the Gladefall Waypoint in Northern Iron Marches. ([&BNsBAAA=])Heavy-Duty Dolyak Blanket - 3 G, Heart vendor to the west of Afgar's Waypoint in Central Lornar's Pass.Used Grow Lamp - Craft it with 400 Jewel + unlock recipe from Dry Top or buy it from TP.If crafting: requires 10 charged quartz crystals , 10 Orichalcum Setting, 25 Sunstone Lump, 25 Watchwork Sprocket

Repeat the feeding after reset for 4 days in a row.Most of this info has come from reddit, but I've tweaked it and added notes and such as I went along and did it myself.

! ND7WT8v.jpg Adorable hatchling. It's reminding me a lot about when we raised baby Aurene, really!

I'm at the food, treats, and toys stage now, and am finding that the treats drop just fine (so far, at least) from regular animals -- doesn't have to be champions, elite, veteran, etc. My first three treats each dropped from the first corresponding enemy I killed, and one (jacaranda) took about six, but it's still going fast. The timegating for the feeding is what's so boring now, but there are always plenty of other things to do in the game. Time to work on leveling some of my alts, I guess.

• 8 months later...