Can we use time travel and participate in the Season 1 Living Story ?

Hey there ! These days more and more rifts are appearing in the game. My questions is... is there a possibility to add some time-gated meta events where rifts can open just like the ones added before month ago named "Defeat the Riftstalker to close the rift". I think this will be a simple solution with the Season 1 for the new players to revisit the old Season 1 content, feel like they participated in the battles with the key factors defeating Scarlet, make the historical events they could because they didn't know about the game or missed the dates. You can add timed rift events for the huge meta events like the "Twisted Marionette", "Tower of Nightmares", " Battle for Lion's Arch", and for the personal story you can add personal rifts that only parties can open at any time. You can even sell a rift-opener gadget in the gem store and this way you can sell Season 1 story just like Season 2, 3, 4 so far. We have Current Events in the achievement tab, why don't we add Past Events? Any other players agreeing or disagree with me?

EDIT March 2020: Well... I kinda called it? I mean, was on the right track that they are going to return Season 1 by some kind of rifts to make it repeatable. I hope they return old achievements that are no longer obtainable by the players who missed them back in 2012-2014. That's 2 years of lost, unobtainable achievements for the players who've come after 2014.

Setting up separate sub-instances may cause problems in map population, as the player is considered both in and not in the adjoining map. If they can address and solve that, without breaking the infrastructure, then the possibilities are endless. The question is, would people actually do them more than once (then come on here to whine about how easy/hard it was and they didn't get the prize they wanted by clicking on it)?

Since they still need a full rework to be compatible with the current game, it would likely be just as worthwhile to redo the entire Season, although given there was barely any story, I'm not sure what they can really work with. Marionette seems to be the most fitting.

There is also the matter of the rifts no longer existing after the events of the finale.

We don't need rifts.

Maps are "stuck in time". Just bring the events back, with the exception of LA and Kessex. The only problem would really be balancing or unexpected bugs from the system being updated for so long since their removal. Not that any of the events were part of the story anyways, they were as relevant as the events added throughout Season 2.

I had a thought awhile back and it seemed kind of crazy at the time, but with recent developments, I'm really starting to think maybe it's not that crazy.

Here goes...

What is S5 is S1 re-engineered to compensate for power creep with HOT and POF specs and re-designed to explain away the fact that some of us have played this before, but it's designed along the guise of revisiting where we've been while also giving those that weren't there an opportunity to feel like they were.

Perhaps, the powers-that-be have changed their mind, but since Season 1 content won't work in the current game, it would have to be practically recreated from scratch, and said powers-that-be have stated they feel that new content is better suited to the game.

You know, at the time, the playerbase really didn't seem to like the Scarlet Story, and just as oft were dissatisfied with the other content.

@Trise.2865 said:Setting up separate sub-instances may cause problems in map population, as the player is considered both in and not in the adjoining map. If they can address and solve that, without breaking the infrastructure, then the possibilities are endless. The question is, would people actually do them more than once (then come on here to whine about how easy/hard it was and they didn't get the prize they wanted by clicking on it)?

I would I never got to play it season 1

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:Maps are "stuck in time".

That was not the idea of Living World season 1. Season 1 (and also in parts season 2) changed the existing open world maps, which actually made season 1 in a lot of ways epic for the players that played at that time.

Only in later seasons they changed that concept and now every new living world episode has an open world map that is exactly "stuck" in the time of the story of the corresponding living world episode.

@Zok.4956 said:

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:Maps are "stuck in time".

That was not the idea of Living World season 1. Season 1 (and also in parts season 2) changed the existing open world maps, which actually made season 1 in a lot of ways epic for the players that played at that time.

Only in later seasons they changed that concept and now every new living world episode has an open world map that is exactly "stuck" in the time of the story of the corresponding living world episode.

Yeah, it wasn't the idea for Season 1, but it is ever since Heart of Thorns. That doesn't mean Season 1 stuff wouldn't be "stuck in time" if they were brought back.

It never really made sense to consider the maps to be perpetually moving forward in time since the core content always remained.

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:It never really made sense to consider the maps to be perpetually moving forward in time since the core content always remained.

It made sense at that time. When the core game was released, all maps were initially at a certain point in time. And then with season 1 the world-time started to progress and the world was changing - it was a living and progressing world, like in the real world were we also can not dial the time back and a lot of things of the past only exist in memory.

But Anet could not hold the pace in creating the new content to get players so involved that they had no time to go back in time and play old episodes/events/content. And with the years new players came to the game that wanted to play the old content, which Anet probably did not think about initially. Game development is often "trial and error" and Anet had tried new things (some were very good, some not) in the past.

@Zok.4956 said:

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:It never really made sense to consider the maps to be perpetually moving forward in time since the core content always remained.

It made sense at that time. When the core game was released, all maps were initially at a certain point in time. And then with season 1 the world-time started to progress and the world was changing - it was a living and progressing world, like in the real world were we also can not dial the time back and a lot of things of the past only exist in memory.

Not really. They couldn't update every map, so we had at the end of Season 1 a bunch of dialogue about going to Lion's Arch when everyone knew it was under attack, or there was the charr-human peace talks being at a standstill for no reason, or the leader of the centaurs, Ulgoth, being attacked endlessly.

It never really worked or "made sense" because they could only ever focus on what they were adding and removing. Not only that, but at the time of Season 1, they treated both the S1 plot and the personal story plot as happening "now". So for some people, Zhaitan's dead as the Molten Alliance attacked, yet for others you're not even part of the Orders yet. It wasn't until the finale that they decided that didn't work, and this caused an inconsistency where Logan says he won't return to Kryta after Zhaitan's death, yet there he is in Kryta, all of DE had gone back to their respective home cities even.

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:We don't need rifts.

Maps are "stuck in time". Just bring the events back, with the exception of LA and Kessex. The only problem would really be balancing or unexpected bugs from the system being updated for so long since their removal. Not that any of the events were part of the story anyways, they were as relevant as the events added throughout Season 2.

Agreed, LA and Kessex could be turned into fractals or raid type play for large groups,Marionette should be added back as a World Boss.

A lot of season 1 wasn't actually very fun or interesting. It wasn't bad by any means, but if they reintroduced it to the game somehow it would pale in comparison to the rest of the game. I suspect it would be abandoned by most players rather quickly and that is why Anet won't bother adding it back into the game. Of course there are certain exceptions like the marionette and the bosses from the attack on Lions Arch but integrating them in a way that makes sense is difficult and probably not worth the cost.It would be awesome to have an arena or something where we could fight season 1 bosses though.

@starhunter.6015 said:

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:We don't need rifts.

Agreed, LA and Kessex could be turned into fractals or raid type play for large groups,Marionette should be added back as a World Boss.

TBH, other than looks, the only difference between Kessex now and then would just be a handful of events and ambient mobs. Could arguably bring those events back in the new map. The map appearance could be used for story instances if they were to ever bring those 30-some story instances back for the Story Journal (despite common belief, most of S1's story was in story instances, or merely open world dialogue).

For LA, they have the map still, that one could be done via rift to access, and it'd alternate between the Escape meta and the Battle meta.

It'd take more work for these, but fully doable.

The "story" in LS1 was a laughingstock, even at the time, it's best that it stays in the trash where it belongs.

@starhunter.6015 said:Agreed, LA and Kessex could be turned into fractals or raid type play for large groups,Tower of Nightmares is already a fractal.

@starhunter.6015 said:Marionette should be added back as a World Boss.The Vinewrath is literally the Marionette, minus all the poorly-designed bits.

• 9 months later...

Well... I kinda called it? I mean, was on the right track that they are going to return Season 1 by some kind of rifts to make it repeatable. I hope they return old achievements that are no longer obtainable by the players who missed them back in 2012-2014. That's 2 years of lost, unobtainable achievements for the players who've come after 2014.

Most of the season 1 achievements happened in open world PvE. From the trailer, it looks like what they will release are some of the (possibly reworked to include some of the surrounding story) solo instances from season 1. There's a good chance they'll be adding achievements that mirror the few that were available in those instances during season 1 (as well as a bunch of totally new ones hopefully), but I'd still expect them to be new achievements like they did with some of the festivals (that ended up having achievements exactly like the previous, no longer available ones, but if you had the old achievement you still got it "twice" in the end).

Adding certain missions like they have done now, i take it as an indication that this is how they can best make some of it accessible and that they do not attempt to use resources to remake the whole thing.

I just got a chance to replay the story last couple of weeks and holy crap i must admit i really don' like core story, its not touching, it's forced and cheesy and i couldn't wait for it to end. I was boring during all the later stages of the story just wanted the final fight to be over asap and cheesed through it. This is not typical for me i don't have a high requirement for story content i normally can enjoy something simple.

What i am saying is, the new stuff they make is so much better lol, it isn't even in the same catagory. The only interesting bits about core story is the 20-30 race parts that is it then downhill from there. Better to let them work on new stuff that is excellent compared to the old untouching story attempts.