why do all 1 and 2 handed melee weapons have the same range?

@"Stand The Wall.6987" said:why do all 1 and 2 handed melee weapons have the same range?doesn't anyone else find this odd? I only just noticed this. seems like 2 handers would have slightly more range.

Not in this game. All weapons in this game channel magic, so the nature of the weapon almost never matches 1:1 the counterparts that look the same in our world. And it's not true that "all" weapons have equal range. Take mesmer: the GS is 1200 range laser beam, staff is a 1200r laser orb, scepter is a 900r laser bolt, axe & sword are strictly melee.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@"Stand The Wall.6987" said:why do all 1 and 2 handed melee weapons have the same range?doesn't anyone else find this odd? I only just noticed this. seems like 2 handers would have slightly more range.

Not in this game. All weapons in this game channel magic, so the nature of the weapon almost never matches 1:1 the counterparts that look the same in our world. And it's not true that "all" weapons have equal range. Take mesmer: the GS is 1200 range laser beam, staff is a 1200r laser orb, scepter is a 900r laser bolt, axe & sword are strictly melee.

"magic" lol. classic.

I think OP is talking about weapons that are used as melee weapons, and also referencing auto-attack, or skills that otherwise involve standing still and striking with the weapon.

@Stand The Wall.6987 As far as auto attacks on melee weapons go, yes - all melee weapons have the same range. So both greatsword on warrior, and dagger on thief swing and strike targets up to 130 units away from you. I think at the end of the day this is rather inconsequential though since auto attack doesn't constitute the majority of what you do in pvp or wvw, and the range of your auto attack doesn't really make a difference in fractals and raids (you're gonna be stacked with every1 else anyways).

@Arcaedus.7290 said:I think at the end of the day this is rather inconsequential though since auto attack doesn't constitute the majority of what you do in pvp or wvw, and the range of your auto attack doesn't really make a difference in fractals and raids (you're gonna be stacked with every1 else anyways).

it would make a small difference in pvp/ wvw, but yes mostly it would be inconsequential. that's not the point tho, the point is it doesn't make any sense. how does a staff have the same reach as a dagger?