Well Iam going to say it. I would like Instanced Battlegrounds in GW2

I know WoW is not openly spoken around here, but I am long past that ego trip. SPvP is just rehashed and boring now. same old 5v5 matches to control 3 circles on the map. time to move on from this terrible esport stuff.

I like how WoW use to have instanced PvP called Battlegrounds. Each Battleground was like its own mode for PvP since each was unique with its own gameplay and Objectives and Max Group Size...

I am ready for Arena Net to go outside their 5v5 SPvP comfort zone and give us unique PvP like WoW's Battlegrounds use to provide.

a nice 10 vs 10 Capture the Flag,or 20 vs 20, King of the Hill40 vs 40 Instanced RvR.

I dont care. even Rift had some of its own spin of these that were fun. They call them Warfronts in that game.

GW2 Ego aside, It would be insanely awesome for stuff like that in GW2.

That would really rekindle the flame of Instanced PvP in GW2.

Hey everybodyPress 1 if you cool with this.Press 2 if you rather it stay as is

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

If they rework EOTM into large battle ground like Alterac valley where there is visible end goal and winning condition you can get large scale structured PVP. The other option is to create something like world boss event map for wvw where people fight over a castle king of the hill style and who ever wins gets to keep it with some kind of bonus pips rewards and what not.

@Knighthonor.4061 said:I know WoW is not openly spoken around here, but I am long past that ego trip. SPvP is just rehashed and boring now. same old 5v5 matches to control 3 circles on the map. time to move on from this terrible esport stuff.

I like how WoW use to have instanced PvP called Battlegrounds. Each Battleground was like its own mode for PvP since each was unique with its own gameplay and Objectives and Max Group Size...

I am ready for Arena Net to go outside their 5v5 SPvP comfort zone and give us unique PvP like WoW's Battlegrounds use to provide.

a nice 10 vs 10 Capture the Flag,or 20 vs 20, King of the Hill40 vs 40 Instanced RvR.

I dont care. even Rift had some of its own spin of these that were fun. They call them Warfronts in that game.

This would be really cool and invigorating, but I think GW2 pvp has entered the degenerate phase of its life. We aren't seeing a lot of innovative and/or creative ideas in Spvp or WvW, but hey in Pve you can ride a dragon and fight a boss FFX style.

• Thanks 1

@Eddbopkins.2630 said:Its hard enough to get balance fair gamplay with 5v5. I dont see how a 10v10 or greater will help....i feel what we need are smaller new game modea like a 2v2 and a 3v3 system. This will really help with keeping friends together and creat much needed competitive community.

Large groups are more balanced than small groups. that's always been the golden rule. 1v1 is always harder to balance in a class system than it is 3vs3 and 10vs10 and so on.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

• 4 years later...
On 5/19/2019 at 6:21 AM, Knighthonor.4061 said:

I know WoW is not openly spoken around here, but I am long past that ego trip. SPvP is just rehashed and boring now. same old 5v5 matches to control 3 circles on the map. time to move on from this terrible esport stuff.

SAME

• Like 1

In WoW the normal bgs are kind of the same as capturing a node, in sense of capturing a flag or delivering to a place (like with delivering orb in gw2).

The only exciting difference in WoW bgs are the special ones that occasional happen, which is changing the rules of the original. For example there is in a special bg during certain times anti gravity everyone shooting in the air to reposition easier for counter play.

For the rest it's kind of the same and there is less dynamic combat in WoW, I played 12 years pvp overthere so yea. 

• Just make in GW2 strongholds 10vs10 mode:

While they're at it, they can maybe add a new stronghold too and a new conquest one ofc too.

• Suggestion for at the start of each season or festive:

Make an unranked mode in general special for 1 week temporarily according at the start of each season or festive.

This is to bring variation in arena, ranked stays the same for competitive ofcourse !

On 5/19/2019 at 2:51 PM, Eddbopkins.2630 said:

Its hard enough to get balance fair gamplay with 5v5. I dont see how a 10v10 or greater will help....i feel what we need are smaller new game modea like a 2v2 and a 3v3 system. This will really help with keeping friends together and creat much needed competitive community.

It's not supposed to be balanced. Also, bgs or above 5v5 aren't supposed to be that competitive.

That's the issue here. People want SPvP to be competitive and engaging and the thing that drives stream numbers and...enough is enough. This pipe dream has been keeping the pvp experience down for 10 years now. Get rid of it, make BGs, let us have FUN.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, arazoth.7290 said:

In WoW the normal bgs are kind of the same as capturing a node, in sense of capturing a flag or delivering to a place (like with delivering orb in gw2).

The only exciting difference in WoW bgs are the special ones that occasional happen, which is changing the rules of the original. For example there is in a special bg during certain times anti gravity everyone shooting in the air to reposition easier for counter play.

For the rest it's kind of the same and there is less dynamic combat in WoW, I played 12 years pvp overthere so yea. 

• Just make in GW2 strongholds 10vs10 mode:

While they're at it, they can maybe add a new stronghold too and a new conquest one ofc too.

• Suggestion for at the start of each season or festive:

Make an unranked mode in general special for 1 week temporarily according at the start of each season or festive.

This is to bring variation in arena, ranked stays the same for competitive ofcourse !

Of course you are bored with WoW, since you played it for 12 years. We also are bored with GW2 because we played for 10. GW2 is a different game, thus the dynamic of those BGs would be different. It's the same thing that would happen to WoW if they had an Arena that was 5v5 with 3 objectives instead of the pillarhumping-fest that is their invitational right now.

It will be fun, because it changes the way the game is played. Having 8v8, 10v10, 12v12 and 15v15 would be great for the game, just as an experiment, even if it's a repetitive thing, it would increase the ammount of options we have for PvP. And on the repetitive side...like, do we really have a ground to stand on here? It's been 10 years of 5v5s.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Shadowpeixera.2918 said:

WoW. Balanced.

Hahahahahahaha.

Wow pre-level 100 was very well designed compared to gw2.. sorry but its true. What GW2 had going for it was the dodge system, which has been kitten all over by the absoltue casual nature of mass aoe spam and 2-3 button dps specs.

Edited by Flowki.7194
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Shadowpeixera.2918 said:

It's not supposed to be balanced. Also, bgs or above 5v5 aren't supposed to be that competitive.

That's the issue here. People want SPvP to be competitive and engaging and the thing that drives stream numbers and...enough is enough. This pipe dream has been keeping the pvp experience down for 10 years now. Get rid of it, make BGs, let us have FUN.

You're quoting me on something that was 4-5years ago? Are you insane? 

Also isn't WvW that BG style of gameplay?

Edited by Eddbopkins.2630

wow has terrible balance, worse balance than gw2, and I'm someone that no-lifed competitive EU private wow arena servers and classic tbc/wotlk, and modern retail wow pvp has been forgotten and gutted in favor of "pve esport mythic+ raiding/5mans". Gw2 is pretty well rounded, don't have to worry about gear, easier to tweak things via amulets.

What version of wow were you playing that was more balanced than gw2 lol, did you even get past 2500+ rating in arena in wow? it's completely imbalanced due to overpowered pve gear being used, and poor class design/comps, even professional world of warcraft x mlg players such as snutz, and chanimal etc etc say this. The only somewhat balanced mode in world of warcraft was 3v3 arena, about it.

Rated Bgs were popular in cata, but in retail everyone avoids it.

Arena net in the past has tried different game mode/bgs but they were not popular and removed..... you got world vs world for large scale, and small scale deathmatch world pvp roaming, you got 3v3 off season spvp in between 5v5 conquest, what else would you want? WSG capture the flag type game modes would be pretty difficult to implement in gw2, and pvp population is pretty low, been bleeding players for years.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shadowpeixera.2918 said:

You do understand BGs are not popular in world of warcraft right? You understand majority of the community in both classic wow and retail wow see's bgs as a choir to get gear for arena right? And you also know majority of battlegrounds in wow are bots and afk players, no one enjoys them in 2024....I highly doubt gw2 pvp player  base would even play the game if you got rid of 5v5 conquest for wow style battlegrounds....sounds like an awful idea.

I mean people even hated doing bgs back in 2008ish when they were using Honorbuddy to bot bgs for honor, because of how tedious and imbalanced they were...

Edited by DivineDreaming.7206
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, DivineDreaming.7206 said:

You do understand BGs are not popular in world of warcraft right?

That's not true at all.

Random BGs are still the most participated in form of pvp. They probably always will be, too, even beyond just getting full honor gear.
And the solo queue RBGs (rated blitz or whatever it's called) will absolutely blow up what remains of rated arena and solo shuffle, in the same way shuffle destroyed arena.

Idk about 10v10s, but I think having different game types would be fun. Stronghold is pretty awful and outdated and no longer works well with the pace of the game and how high mobility is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1