"Just LOS" they say

9QusgOA.jpg

INB4 "l2p"--I guess I learned the hard way that a hail of arrows from the sky (LB5) completely ignores overhead cover. I deliberately ran here to try to heal, but noooope.

I get it. In a game where Revs can port right through solid structures from 1200 range, and plenty of melee attacks and AOEs go right through walls, this is par for the course. Except that it's counter-intuitive as anything: A volley. Of arrows. Presumably from above. Completely ignores. The Stone structure surrounding you. :astonished:

The odd thing is the roof of the structure does affect the drawing of the red AOE boundaries which you can clearly see as a smaller ring tracing the circular roof. It's like a false visual though.

Also, I know the other LB attacks can be properly LOS'd. Just thought this was funny.

@"Twilight Tempest.7584" said:Swords here ignore the walls , engineer rifle with SHOTGUN shot ignores the walls too and instead of acting like a shotgun.A massive overcharge shot that supposed to blast things with excessive power at close range now is 1200 range "projectile". "Stealth" is not always a stealth, a high-tech technologies allows channeled skills to track you down :)Just magic, accept it.From what I see on the screenshot, no matter where will you go, you will die :)

I'll address the snarky, presumptuous comments:

@rng.1024 said:You could have dodged negating all damage and getting superspeed while casting the heal ;)

• justmiragethings
  • Who needs LoS anyways

In case it wasn't clear from the OP, I thought I was out of LOS and didn't need to waste a dodge.

In case you couldn't tell from the 24 sec c/d and False Oasis icon, I had already just popped heal before unexpectedly getting barraged in what I thought was a safe spot.

I did in fact dodge in the next frame or so after this. I just posted this frame to show I was taking damage because this post is about a counter-intuitive, unexpected LOS issue.

@Kovu.7560 said:There are three skills tied to ranger longbow people often complain about in pvp. Four if you dislike that rangers can use it to stealth.

Barrage isn't one of those skills.

~ Kovu

I'm not complaining about Barrage.

Pardon me for letting real world expectations of projectile trajectory interfere with my still developing understanding of magical game mechanics.

@"Fat Disgrace.4275" said:Its been 7 years now, people should really get use to this.

Fair enough, but that doesn't mean everyone's been playing that long. Sorry for being relatively new.

I still think the idea of being hit by arrows within that structure is mind boggling, but I guess it's just a quirk of how PBAoEs work in this game, and despite being "arrows", LB5 isn't treated as projectiles.

@Twilight Tempest.7584 said:

@"Fat Disgrace.4275" said:Its been 7 years now, people should really get use to this.

Fair enough, but that doesn't mean everyone's been playing that long. Sorry for being relatively new.

I still think the idea of being hit by arrows within that structure is mind boggling, but I guess it's just a quirk of how PBAoEs work in this game, and despite being "arrows", LB5 isn't treated as projectiles.

Sorry I didn't explain myself very good. A lot of other people have and it's been complained in the past, and anet has done nothing about it. If I was kinda new and this happened to me after 7 years of game release I would just think this is normal behaviour.

Lol on gw1 there was no jumping/or gliding, you could be ground level and someone was 2k units above you on a rope bridge, you can still melee them and body block them because the game acted as body collision. The amount of hammer stuns/bulls strikes I did in alliance battles was funny just in that instance.

The ranger accuracy and dexterity is so high that he is able to slide his arrows between the bricks of the building.Now the ranger is ok but I don't really like that all other professions with AOE abilities are able to do this because they just lack the skill of a true sharp shooter, like the ranger.

@kin korn karn.9023 said:

@"praqtos.9035" said:From what I see on the screenshot, no matter where will you go, you will die :)

Actually nearly all skills are available as well as weapon swap. There's a lot he/she could do here to survive, but too busy taking "gotcha" screenshot.The only way to survive would be torch 4,jump down on the point and blink so far as possible. Otherwise no matter where you go without stealth, you will be open for LB@kin korn karn.9023 said:I don't get it. Mirage is actually very strong against Soulbeast.If you have a lot of space to kite and not locked on point, longbow gs is easly kills mirage, I did it many many times, even when they had perma reflect. Unstoppable union sic em memeing them for good